PDA

View Full Version : Q & A with Hal McCoy

Ohioballplayer
04-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Q: With his son pitching in Lexington, Ky., close to Cincinnati, is there any way the Reds try to sign Roger Clemens? It would take a financial commitment, but he could be the starting pitcher to put this team in the playoffs, and think of the fans he'd draw on days he pitched. Keith, Lexington

A: Clemens has four sons, all with first names beginning with 'K,' as in strikeout (Koby, Kory, Kacy, Kody), so would he leave Houston to see just one? Doubt it. Last year Houston paid him $21 million to match his uniform number. Maybe if he took uniform No. 2, the Reds could afford him. But even he wouldn't put the Reds in the playoffs. He only pitches every fifth day and they'd still be running some of those other guys out there.

Joseph
04-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Didn't Clemens wear #22?

It's a valid point though, Clemens won't be blasting off for the Reds.

Sea Ray
04-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Q: With his son pitching in Lexington, Ky., close to Cincinnati, is there any way the Reds try to sign Roger Clemens? It would take a financial commitment, but he could be the starting pitcher to put this team in the playoffs, and think of the fans he'd draw on days he pitched. Keith, Lexington

A: Clemens has four sons, all with first names beginning with 'K,' as in strikeout (Koby, Kory, Kacy, Kody), so would he leave Houston to see just one? Doubt it. Last year Houston paid him $21 million to match his uniform number. Maybe if he took uniform No. 2, the Reds could afford him. But even he wouldn't put the Reds in the playoffs. He only pitches every fifth day and they'd still be running some of those other guys out there.

I don't even read the DDN anymore largely due to Hal McCoy's "fiction" which he writes all too regularly. So here I come across this post and once again I see the guy is writing fiction. I can only imagine how many times I'd catch his inaccuracies if I read him everyday.

The Houston Astros did not pay him $21mill last year. According to USAtoday.com he made an even $18mill. Still a lot of money, but it had nothing to do with his uniform number. The weathermen are more accurate than this guy...

Mario-Rijo
04-26-2006, 05:23 PM
I say it's laughable to think he would come here. I agree he could be a piece that I think could land us into the playoffs assuming the rest of the staff can pitch close to as well as Arroyo and Harang have (for the most part) to this point.

But I don't think it happens for one reason. He has stated he wants a shot at winning it all again. Who here truly believes even with Clemens that we can win it all this year? O.K. anyone could win it with some luck, but do you think that Roger would buy it? No my friends he knows better than anyone who has a shot and who doesn't, because he's looking for that!

And I'm sure his perception is such that he would much rather go with Houston, NYY or even Boston at a discounted price before he would come here for say Adam Dunn's jersey #!

Johnny Footstool
04-26-2006, 05:32 PM
I heard Clemens plans to name his next kid "Kjohnny."

Sea Ray
04-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Hal still doesn't get it. Upon my suggestion that he might be mistaken along with three sources which report his income as $18mill from the Astros last year, Hal corrected himself saying that Clemens wore # 22 and made $22mill.

Hal's really something else...

savafan
04-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Just seeing Hal McCoy say that Clemens becoming a Red is an impossibility gives me hope that it could actually happen.

Chip R
04-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Just seeing Hal McCoy say that Clemens becoming a Red is an impossibility gives me hope that it could actually happen.

:laugh: Yeah, he said the same thing about Jr. too, IIRC.

Phhhl
04-27-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm sick of Clemen and I'm sick of Brett Favre. Both are great players who I have respect for, but the constant drama these guys build around themselves is nauseating. Clemens, in paricular, seems to view himself as bigger than the game. It is "beneath him" to go to camp with a team and be a teammate even during his off days. He won't do this, but he might do that. Check back with me next week... blah blah blah. So, now he is going to sit back, determine who has the best chance out of the Astros, Red Sox and Yanks at mid-season and climb on board for one more victory lap? That's a joke.

Look, I know the clubs are making this possible for him to do. An argument can be made that it isn't his fault. But, it's still the most boring story in baseball, and I can't wait until he goes away. I hope he either retires, or gets shelled into submission if he comes back. He's not going to consider the Reds or any other club that isn't prepared to steamroll it's way to a World Championship, because he's just not up to the challenge of helping a team that actually NEEDS a Hall of Fame pitcher for the second half to win.

If he comes back, it will be via easy street. Competitor my ***...

traderumor
04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
I heard Clemens plans to name his next kid "Kjohnny."Me too, except I heard he wants to spell it "Kjhonny"

KronoRed
04-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Can we get him to say the Reds will NEVER win the world series again? ;)

Ron Madden
04-28-2006, 03:18 AM
There was a time long ago.............

Marty and Hal were the cream of the crop.

Kind of sad aint it ?

savafan
04-28-2006, 03:56 AM
There was a time long ago.............

Marty and Hal were the cream of the crop.

Kind of sad aint it ?

And the Reds were World Champions.

A lot of losing and a horrible front office can do a lot to you day in and day out over a span of years.