PDA

View Full Version : Best Batman

RBA
04-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Who portrayed the Cape Crusader the best?

Please vote for your favorite and than rank them in order

KronoRed
04-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Animated series
http://www.orderdvdtvshows.com/images/2005/aug2005/batmanTASVol4.jpg
Wipes the floor with the humans :D

ochre
04-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Frank Miller.

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-26-2006, 10:55 PM
not sure of actor but the best artist was jim aparo(brave and the bold)

Falls City Beer
04-26-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm the only one who voted for "soft-core" Adam West?

marcshoe
04-26-2006, 11:01 PM
1. Michael Keaton
2. Christian Bale (very good, but I think Keaton's performance was underrated because of the flashy villains)
3. Adam West (his ranking here should tell you what I think of the other two)
4. Val Kilmer
5. George Clooney

Falls City Beer
04-26-2006, 11:04 PM
1. Michael Keaton
2. Christian Bale (very good, but I think Keaton's performance was underrated because of the flashy villains)
3. Adam West (his ranking here should tell you what I think of the other two)
4. Val Kilmer
5. George Clooney

You Adam West haters have a small pocket in hell waiting for you!! :devil: :evil: :cry: :)

Falls City Beer
04-26-2006, 11:07 PM
http://www.disc-us.com/images/west.jpg

KronoRed
04-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Adam West went on to be a mayor, what did the other guys do?? ;)

Heath
04-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Anyone remember the early 90's song "Wild Wild West" by the Escape Club?

They made a Batman parody called "Batman starring Adam West".....FUNNY stuff.

I voted Adam.

hammer
04-26-2006, 11:52 PM
I voted for adam west, but I would jhave to go with Kevin Conroy from the animated series. Then after that Will friedle from Batman beyond.

The Baumer
04-26-2006, 11:56 PM
If you vote based on acting ability and performance, and not on nostalgia, I believe Bale has to be your best Batman. He is younger and he actually fits the profile of a man who could be Batman- as opposed to a 38 year old tooth pick with curly hair. Keaton just sat in his lair and looked pensive, then he would put on the cape and stiff arm baddies. Also if you look outside of the Bruce Wayne/Batman role, Bale has racked up a pretty impressive and versatile body of work (just pretend Reign of Fire never happened).

WMR
04-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Contrast Bale in Batman and The Machinist.

Amazing ability to "become" a character.

The Baumer
04-27-2006, 12:32 AM
Amazing ability to "become" a character.

That's what acting is supposed to be about. Unfortunately producers, directors, and actors fall in love with "personality actors" and plug them into films regardless if they fit character or not. Jude Law is the same charming Jude Law in every role, with the exception of Road to Perdition which is his best role by far. There are other actors who basically play slight variations of the same base personality in each film.

WMR
04-27-2006, 12:36 AM
That's what acting is supposed to be about. Unfortunately producers, directors, and actors fall in love with "personality actors" and plug them into films regardless if they fit character or not. Jude Law is the same charming Jude Law in every role, with the exception of Road to Perdition which is his best role by far. There are other actors who basically play slight variations of the same base personality in each film.

Yeah, he was amazing in "American Psycho" as well.

Sabo Fan
04-27-2006, 01:48 AM
I voted Bale and that's saying something because I'm a big Adam West fan and the original Batman TV show is one of my all-time favorites.

I will say that I echo the sentiments of those who mentioned Kevin Conroy, the guy who does Batman's voice on all the DC animated stuff. He's the best as far as I'm concerned. I know it's animation, but no one seemed to capture the differences between playing Bruce Wayne and playing Batman like Conroy did.

Caveat Emperor
04-27-2006, 02:10 AM
I will say that I echo the sentiments of those who mentioned Kevin Conroy, the guy who does Batman's voice on all the DC animated stuff. He's the best as far as I'm concerned. I know it's animation, but no one seemed to capture the differences between playing Bruce Wayne and playing Batman like Conroy did.

I'm going to agree with this.

To this day, the animated Batman series has come the closest to capturing what I think is the true "feel" of Batman. Part of that, I think, was the extraordinary voice work done for the Batman/Bruce Wayne character by Kevin Conroy. As has been said, he perfectly captures the difference between the Batman persona and the Bruce Wayne persona -- they both might be the same man, but there's no doubt that they are very different people. The animated Batman was true perfection in that regard.

My friend bought the DVDs, and we spent a lot of time watching them this past winter. I'd forgottten the amazing quality of a lot of those episodes. I used to watch them as a kid, but I really didn't appreciate how mature and well done they were, esepecially when compared to a lot of the drivel I watched on TV growing up. They've aged remarkably well, considering they're now upwards of 10 years old.

I'll actually go out on a limb and say that the animated 2-part episode featuring Ras Al Ghul was more entertaining and interesting than the new movie was -- and that's saying something, because I really liked the new movie.

Sabo Fan
04-27-2006, 02:58 AM
I'm going to agree with this.

To this day, the animated Batman series has come the closest to capturing what I think is the true "feel" of Batman. Part of that, I think, was the extraordinary voice work done for the Batman/Bruce Wayne character by Kevin Conroy. As has been said, he perfectly captures the difference between the Batman persona and the Bruce Wayne persona -- they both might be the same man, but there's no doubt that they are very different people. The animated Batman was true perfection in that regard.

My friend bought the DVDs, and we spent a lot of time watching them this past winter. I'd forgottten the amazing quality of a lot of those episodes. I used to watch them as a kid, but I really didn't appreciate how mature and well done they were, esepecially when compared to a lot of the drivel I watched on TV growing up. They've aged remarkably well, considering they're now upwards of 10 years old.

I'll actually go out on a limb and say that the animated 2-part episode featuring Ras Al Ghul was more entertaining and interesting than the new movie was -- and that's saying something, because I really liked the new movie.

I watched the animated series growing up as well and I'm fortunate enough to be able to catch it on reruns on Boomerang every night (programming note for you super-hero cartoon fans out there: Justice League at 11:30, Batman at 12 and Superman at 12:30. Good stuff).

Like CE said, I appreciate the quality of the episodes now more than I did then. The more recent cartoon incarnation of Batman, the Gotham Knights and Justice League version, is good, but it's not like the original. When the animated series first started you got Batman, and you got Bruce Wayne. As the series went on, you just got Batman. If I had one complaint it would be that they completely cut out Bruce Wayne. One of the best parts of the original was that you could see the stark differences in the two characters and Conroy did a great job making that distinction. It's also one of the great aspects of the Batman character, being able to see him switch back and forth between his public persona and his darker side. I will say that I thought Bale did a good job of this in the movie and it's one of the reasons it was so good.

GAC
04-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Lewis Wilson :lol:

http://sepnet.com/rcramer/pictures/batman1.jpg

I just watched the first Batman w/ Keaton last night. Best of the lot IMO.

The second one was OK (with DeVito as Penguin); but the remainder were pure garbage!

I really liked Christian Bale's version in Batman Begins. I hope he does more.

RedFanAlways1966
04-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Adam West. One of my fav shows as a youngster. The Batman movies are too futuristic and the effects are too overdone for my taste... probably b/c I grew up watching and liking the TV original with Adam West and Burt Ward.

Same Bat time, same Bat channel...

Johnny Footstool
04-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Adam West was, is, and always will be Batman to me. The others are but pale imitations.

Kevin Conroy did a great job as Batman, but he was, is, and always will be Optimus Prime to me.

smith288
04-27-2006, 10:01 AM
West is a wuss. Lamest Batman of all.

Falls City Beer
04-27-2006, 12:00 PM

Come on, look at West's hair.

Plus I saw him at the Cincy Convention Center at a car show with the Batmobile. :thumbup: :cry:

vaticanplum
04-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Anyone remember the early 90's song "Wild Wild West" by the Escape Club?

Oh man...and here we all are, back at the rollerena.

Thanks for that.

Heath
04-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Oh man...and here we all are, back at the rollerena.

Thanks for that.

Its a catchy-tune.

I dare you to buy it for your mp3 player.

GAC
04-27-2006, 04:33 PM

I can't believe that 13 people (so far) wasted their vote on this guy.

What are you people! On Dope! :lol:

http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/fasttimesmrhand.jpg

I grew up in the 60's as a huge Action and Detective comic book fan.

West's TV portrayal was demeaning and embarassing IMO for any true Batman fan. And the series led to even lamer imitators like Captain Nice, Mr. Terrific, and the Green Hornet starring Van Williams as the Hornet and a young Bruce Lee as his sidekick Kato.

And it got even lamer in the 70's/80's with shows like Wonder Woman, Spiderman and the Hulk.

STOP ALREADY!

It wasn't until the first Batman movie by Tim Burton came out that Hollywood started taking their portrayals more seriously, and casting the super heroes more in-line with their true characters.

That is until they cast Kilmer and Clooney... which were steps backwards IMO. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing what they new in this new Superman movie. I wasn't a big fan of Reeve's portrayal at all. Again - too cornball for me.

Raisor
04-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Adam West was, is, and always will be Batman to me. The others are but pale imitations.

Kevin Conroy did a great job as Batman, but he was, is, and always will be Optimus Prime to me.

Peter Cullen was Optimus. Conroy never did any Transformers voice overs (at least according to IMDB.com)

Raisor
04-28-2006, 09:25 PM
I thought Bale has been the best of the movie Batmans (Batmen?), but Val Kilmer is underated. His Bat-movie stunk, but it was all due to the script and directing.

He was good.

Bale's the best though.

Best Bat-film of all time, though, is still Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

DropDocK
05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
1. Keaton (first one I saw and the first movie is one of my favorites forever)
1.5 Bale-amazing job, what a young Wayne should be. I look forward to more with him as long as it doesn't put the franchise in reverse.
3. Kilmer-bit overdone, not enough darkness. They should have kept Burton on board.
4. West-I guess, only seen clips from old episodes.
5. that dog Clooney, even if it was between Clooney and West I'd pick West sight unseen.

Johnny Footstool
05-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Peter Cullen was Optimus. Conroy never did any Transformers voice overs (at least according to IMDB.com)

Man, I could have sworn it was Conroy.

Falls City Beer
05-01-2006, 05:22 PM
I just wanna know who did the voice for Starscream. If a bad guy ever appears in my dreams, you can bet he has the Starscream voice.

redsfanmia
05-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Adam West danced the Battoosi, enough said.

RBA
05-01-2006, 05:40 PM
I hear Mark Hamil does a good bad guy in the CARTOON series.

Johnny Footstool
05-01-2006, 05:42 PM
I just wanna know who did the voice for Starscream. If a bad guy ever appears in my dreams, you can bet he has the Starscream voice.

Chris Latta (AKA Christopher Collins) was Starscream and Cobra Commander. Shockingly, he was also the original Mr. Burns and Moe Szyslak on the Simpsons.

He appeared as the "sharing husband" in the Patrick Swayze classic "Roadhouse."

He passed away in 1994.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0490383/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Latta

RBA
05-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Adam West danced the Battoosi, enough said.

John Travolta too. Or is that a different dance?

Note: I'm pulling a Krono on this post to pad my post count. ;)

redsfanmia
05-01-2006, 05:52 PM
:thumbup:

KronoRed
05-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Note: I'm pulling a Krono on this post to pad my post count. ;)
That's what it's called now?

Cool..I have a slogan (c) :beerme:

redsfanmia
05-01-2006, 05:59 PM

Falls City Beer
05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
He appeared as the "sharing husband" in the Patrick Swayze classic "Roadhouse."

Damn. Full circle. I swear to god I had no idea he was in "Road House," as you and I were goofing on it on the movie thread. I swear I had no idea. Total synchronicity.

KronoRed
05-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Come on..you're not even trying ;)

RBA
05-01-2006, 06:09 PM
That's what it's called now?

Cool..I have a slogan (c) :beerme:

Yup, I think GIK/Boss should add it to the FAQ. :beerme:

KronoRed
05-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Ok I just watched Batman Begins

Gotta say..not as good as I was told, good..but a little long and I shouldn't laugh when Batman says "I'm batman"

Sounded like he had to cough :lol:

He goes behind Keaton in the human ones

Johnny Footstool
05-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Damn. Full circle. I swear to god I had no idea he was in "Road House," as you and I were goofing on it on the movie thread. I swear I had no idea. Total synchronicity.

Me either, until I read about it on his wikipedia page.

I remember that scene, too. It was pointless, but then again, so was the whole movie.

It just goes to prove my theory: Roadhouse is the key to the universe.

The Baumer
05-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Ok I just watched Batman Begins

Gotta say..not as good as I was told, good..but a little long and I shouldn't laugh when Batman says "I'm batman"

Sounded like he had to cough :lol:

He goes behind Keaton in the human ones

You have to remember that Bruce Wayne has just become Batman in the film. He isn't going to be experienced or fully comfortable yet. Watch when the two sequels come out and see if you can catch the progression of the character, from clumsy and green to full throttle crusader. Knowing Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale's commitment to the reality of the films, it'll be there.

I think the only progression between the Keaton films was that Bruce Wayne's 'sit in the batcave and look pensively at a computer' skills went up significantly in Returns. Oh and his stiff arm jabs were more lethal.