PDA

View Full Version : We all know DaMeat, please meet: DaMeltdown

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 08:13 AM
From what I learned this morning, the only official team video of this incident is from a center field scoreboard camera (think satellite footage). Thus, the best details to emerge from this whole event are the product of our own young cubby reporter, one Corky Miller.

It bears mentioning that this home plate umpire was of the strike replacement variety. Apparently, that's why the International League is not releasing his name at this time. I believe that this suspension is gonna fall squarely in the category of "message sending." Enjoy your summer vacation, Delmon.

Rays prospect Young throws bat at ump
04/27/2006 12:51 AM ET
By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

Devil Rays top prospect Delmon Young is facing a potentially lengthy suspension after throwing his bat at an umpire's chest during Wednesday night's game at Pawtucket.
The Durham Bulls outfielder, listed No. 1 on most prospect lists, including MLB.com's, took a called third strike from Pawtucket's Jon Lester in the first inning of the International League contest. Following the strike call, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2003 First-Year Player Draft refused to leave the batter's box, glaring back at the home plate umpire for an extended period of time, according to those who witnessed the game.

"He stood there, looking back for a long period of time, maybe 30 seconds," Pawtucket broadcaster Dan Hoard recalled. "It was borderline, but not ridiculous from the vantage point of the broadcasting booth. I've learned since, from the Pawtucket catcher (Corky Miller), that the umpire told him to go back and he wouldn't go."

Young finally took a step or two toward his dugout when the umpire ejected him from the game. The timing of the ejection made it seem like Young said something to the umpire as he began his retreat, but Hoard said Miller told him Young was silent at the time.

Young then took a couple of steps and threw the bat at the umpire. According to The Associated Press, Young flipped the bat underhand. It sailed end over end and hit the umpire in the chest.

"It wasn't with force, but I'd say that was his intent," Hoard said. "He went back to the dugout and disappeared. That was the end of his night and the end of his playing for some time."

No one from the International League was available for comment on the incident. According to policy, the umpire will file a report with president Randy Mobley on Thursday. Mobley, in turn, will read it, interview those involved in the incident and make the decision what kind of suspension should be handed down.

In addition, no one with the Devil Rays, including several players reached for comment, would comment until executives in the organization had a chance to review tape of the incident. Young, 20, gave an official "no comment" when reached in his hotel room after the game. "It's going to be interesting," Hoard said. "He's certainly looking at a lengthy suspension from the league. I'm not sure if the Rays will tack on anything.

"I've never seen anyone throw a bat at anybody. I've seen a lot of games and never seen that before."

This is not the first time Young has let his anger get the better of him. Last May, while playing in the Double-A Southern League for the Montgomery Biscuits, he drew a three-game suspension for bumping an umpire. He also was nearly ejected earlier in the season when, after being hit by a pitch, he flung his bat in the air and it landed about 20 feet from the pitcher.

Minor League Baseball games have been umpired by replacements for every game thus far in the 2006 season, with the regular crews currently out on strike.

Young was hitting .333 with 12 steals (tied for the IL lead with teammate B.J. Upton) entering the game.

TC81190
04-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Former Fox 19 sports anchor Dan Hoard sighting.

RBA
04-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Seems to me, criminal charges need to be filed. Also, Delmon got a big signing bonus/contract, correct? A minor league umpire could use some extra cash and I wouldn't blame him a bit if he filed a lawsuit against him.

By the way, I predict Delmon to end up in the Nationals organization. ;)
Is he 5 tools?

TC81190
04-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Is he 5 tools?

Think early career Ken Griffey Jr.

RBA
04-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Think early career Ken Griffey Jr.

I knew he was good, but I didn't know he was that good. But I don't think Jr ever threw a bat at anyone.

TC81190
04-27-2006, 08:29 AM
I knew he was good, but I didn't know he was that good. But I don't think Jr ever threw a bat at anyone.

Think early career Ken Griffey Jr., with rage.

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Seems to me, criminal charges need to be filed. Also, Delmon got a big signing bonus/contract, correct? A minor league umpire could use some extra cash and I wouldn't blame him a bit if he filed a lawsuit against him.

Is he 5 tools?A replacement minor league umpire, at that...I have already heard people trying to downplay this by saying, "The ump was wearing a chest protector..."

I don't know how malicious the toss was, but it really doesn't matter. Umpires are untouchable--it is way too slippery of a slope to be judging "intent to harm." He has to sit, and sit for a long time.

cumberlandreds
04-27-2006, 09:34 AM
You don't throw anything,a bat or a mouthpiece, at an official. IMO and it may be harsh, but I think Young should be suspended for the season. The minor leagues and MLB need to send a strong message that this will not be tolerated. I know we all get frustrated with calls but you can not throw things,especially objects that can do harm, at another person.

Yachtzee
04-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Think early career Ken Griffey Jr., with rage.

Maybe he's addicted to rage-ahol

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 01:24 PM
ESPN is now reporting that Delmon Young has been "suspended indefinitely by the International League pending the outcome of their investigation..."

westofyou
04-27-2006, 01:26 PM
http://baseballminutia.com/blog/2006/04/27/kill-the-umpire-or-at-least-show-him-up/

flyer85
04-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Is he 5 tools?He's most deinitely a tool.

Tommyjohn25
04-27-2006, 03:51 PM
I just saw the footage on "The Hot List". It was not, by any means, a soft toss. It also came very close to hitting the umpire in the face.

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 04:04 PM
I just saw the footage on "The Hot List". It was not, by any means, a soft toss. It also came very close to hitting the umpire in the face.Just curious...but was the footage you saw from the center field scoreboard camera, or have they already gathered up camcorder footage from fans?

Tommyjohn25
04-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Just curious...but was the footage you saw from the center field scoreboard camera, or have they already gathered up camcorder footage from fans?

Not sure if it was a center field cam or not, it looked like it I guess. However, wherever it came from it was clear and very good footage, and I'll say this, what he did was dangerous and he should be out of the game for a good long reflective period. I would watch Sportscenter tonight (as painful as it may be), as I'm sure they'll show again.

And again and again and again.

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Not sure if it was a center field cam or not, it looked like it I guess. However, wherever it came from it was clear and very good footage, and I'll say this, what he did was dangerous and he should be out of the game for a good long reflective period. I would watch Sportscenter tonight (as painful as it may be), as I'm sure they'll show again.

And again and again and again.Thanks.

KronoRed
04-27-2006, 04:17 PM

I expect it and I hope he wins.

Tommyjohn25
04-27-2006, 04:18 PM
By the way, they also did a pretty complimentary piece on the Reds right before they showed the footage of the DelMonster.

BrooklynRedz
04-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Here's a link to the video, scroll down to the video index...second item: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 04:58 PM
That was NOT a soft toss of the bat. That thing was chucked from about twenty feet away. It practically caught him across the neck.

KronoRed
04-27-2006, 05:00 PM
He also had his mask off meaning he could have been hit in the face with the bat.

Suspend him for the season and fine him a LOT.

BoydsOfSummer
04-27-2006, 05:48 PM
That was a ball. Oh boy that was fugly, he's in deep doo-doo.

flyer85
04-27-2006, 08:38 PM
he fired the bat. He will be lucky to get 60 days and could miss the season. The problem for the IL is there really is no precedent that I can remember. Never seen anything like it.

cincinnati chili
04-27-2006, 09:21 PM
I should know this, but with Delmon on the 40-man roster, I assume he's entitled to the protection of the union, right?

If he wasn't, I could see a serious suspension. 2 months to a year.

Since I believe he'll get the same grievance protection as a major league player, I think this'll be more like a couple weeks. You have to remember that Juan Marichal only had to sit a week for nearly beating Roseboro braindead with a bat.

I've seen contraband copies of these grievance procedures (the John Rocker one), they do go back that far in their analysis.

flyer85
04-27-2006, 09:28 PM
I should know this, but with Delmon on the 40-man roster, I assume he's entitled to the protection of the union, right?

Since I believe he'll get the same grievance protection as a major league player, I think this'll be more like a couple weeks. You have to remember that Juan Marichal only had to sit a week for nearly beating Roseboro braindead with a bat.

I've seen contraband copies of these grievance procedures (the John Rocker one), they do go back that far in their analysis.Pete got 30 days for giving an ump a shove, this is an entirely different level.

BrooklynRedz
04-27-2006, 09:30 PM

I've seen contraband copies of these grievance procedures (the John Rocker one), they do go back that far in their analysis.

That's interesting. If he is protected by the union, I wonder why he wouldn't also receive like protection with regards to steroid testing and punishment.

cincinnati chili
04-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Pete got 30 days for giving an ump a shove, this is an entirely different level.

If I'm not mistaken he was no longer a player-manager. Just a manager. He was not in a collective bargaining relationship.

I agree this is worse. I'm just saying that this punishment will hinge LOTS on whether Young will be entitled to a grievance procedure using past player punishments as precedents.

flyer85
04-27-2006, 09:34 PM
I don't believe minor league players(even those on the 40 man) are in the union. That's why the minors have had their own drug testing program for years.

Spitball
04-28-2006, 11:19 AM
A young Dmitri Young had a history of anger and violence. When he played for the Arkansas Travelers, he broke his hand and was suspended for going into the stands and punching a fan. At the time, one of the local Arkansas papers ran a story about Dmitri breaking a man's jaw when he was fifteen years old. Maybe it's a genetic and/or environmental thing with that family.

Here is a link:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE7D6103BF931A3575BC0A9639582 60

SPORTS PEOPLE: BASEBALL; Players Banned in Fan Attack

Published: August 2, 1995
Two players from the Class AA Arkansas Travelers were suspended indefinitely after attacking a pair of heckling Wichita Wranglers fans in the stands.

Witnesses at Monday night's Texas League game in Wichita, Kan., said DMITRI YOUNG, 22, punched a man and KEITH JONES, 24, hit another man in the back with a bat. Neither of the two fans requested medical attention. Witnesses said at least one of the fans kept calling Young "Pork Chop." (AP)

Yachtzee
04-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Two words, Delmon..."Serenity Now."

LincolnparkRed
04-28-2006, 11:30 AM
"I sincerely regret my actions in the game yesterday," Young said in a statement released by the office of his agent, Arn Tellem. "Regrettably, in the heat of the competition my emotions got the better of me.

"My behavior was completely unacceptable. I want everyone to know that I recognize that it is never right to throw a bat and I certainly never intended for the bat to make contact with the umpire. Nevertheless, I owe an apology to my team, the fans and most importantly to the umpire, for the incident. I am sorry."

This is Delmon's apology, what a bunch of crap, if you didn't mean to hit him then why throw it in his direction at all? Sometimes I feel sorry for agents that have to deal with spoiled brats like this. But then I think about what they make for doing virtually nothing and it passes

westofyou
04-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Though I unsuccessfully tried googling the story, a young Dmitri Young had a history of anger and violence. When he played for the Arkansas Travelers, he broke his hand going into the stands and punching a fan. At the time, one of the local paper Arkansas papers ran a story about Dmitri breaking a man's jaw when he was only fifteen. Maybe it's a genetic and/or environmental thing with that family.
http://www.baseballminutia.com/images/dy1.gif

http://www.baseballminutia.com/images/dy2.gif

Roy Tucker
04-28-2006, 11:50 AM
I personally think this is like the Ron Artest thing in the NBA where you have to express in a clear, absolute, and harsh way that this kind of behavior is completely unacceptable. This goes beyond bumping or pushing an ump. How long did Robbie Alomar get for spitting on an ump?

So I think suspending him for the season is completely warranted. Plus a fine.

But if the MLBPA gets involved, then all bets are off.

westofyou
04-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Recent Incidents
Here is a look at what previous run-ins with umpires (or a catcher) have brought as suspensions in the past

Player Action Result
Izzy Alcantara Kicked a catcher Suspended for six games by International League
Roberto Alomar Spit on an umpire Suspended for five games by MLB
Milton Bradley Spit gum at umpire Suspended for seven games by Eastern League
Carl Everett Head butted an umpire Suspended for 10 games by MLB
Delmon Young Bumped an umpire Suspended for three games by Southern League

Spitball
04-28-2006, 11:57 AM
http://www.baseballminutia.com/images/dy1.gif

http://www.baseballminutia.com/images/dy2.gif

WOY, I didn't see your post when I went back and edited mine. I'm posting grades and am only half paying attention. Thanks for the help.

flyer85
04-28-2006, 11:59 AM
There is really not anything that is a precedent for this incident. If he gets 60 days or less he should consider himself fortunate.

MWM
04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Him standing there in the batters box refusing to leave jsut staring at the ump was pretty ridiculous in its own right. I think Roy's Ron Artest parallel is accurate here. He seems to be of the same tempermant.

registerthis
04-28-2006, 01:06 PM
After seeing the video of it, I don't see how you could go any less than a full season suspension for Young. That bat wasn't merely flipped--it was flung HARD. It came flying at the ump, who is very fortunate to not have sustained a serious injury. I've never seen anything like it in 20 years of following baseball.

MWM
04-28-2006, 01:13 PM
After seeing the video of it, I don't see how you could go any less than a full season suspension for Young. That bat wasn't merely flipped--it was flung HARD. It came flying at the ump, who is very fortunate to not have sustained a serious injury. I've never seen anything like it in 20 years of following baseball.

I agree completely. I wouldn't mind it even being more than this season. It's easily the worst thing I've seen in my lifetime in any sport with a player abusing an official. The losest thing might have been when that offensive lineman from the 49ers shoved the ref to the ground.

cumberlandreds
04-28-2006, 01:15 PM
That apology was written by his agent. I highly doubt that Mr. Young meant a word of it. As I said earlier if he's not suspended for the rest of the season it's a travesty.

paulrichjr
04-28-2006, 01:28 PM
What would the suspension had been if the ump was seriously hurt? It could easily had been the season. I say he gets 30 days off.

KronoRed
04-28-2006, 03:22 PM
I hope he gets strikes called at his ankles and forehead for the rest of his career ;)

Blimpie
05-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Looks like Delmon is the first 50/50 man in baseball....Actually, I don't think 50 games is NEAR enough for this offense...

Young penalized for throwing bat at ump
/ FOXSports.com
Posted: 8 minutes ago

On April 26, Tampa Bay Devil Rays prospect Delmon Young threw a bat at an umpire. Tuesday, the International League threw the book at Young.

Young has been suspended 50 games by International League president Randy Mobley. The suspension is retroactive to April 27, meaning Tampa Bay's top prospect won't be eligible to return until June 19.
Young will also perform a minimum of 50 hours of community service while under suspension.

"The goal in reviewing this very serious matter was to arrive at a fair and just action against Mr. Young," Mobley said. "With the 50-game suspension, longer than any other uncovered in the league's 123-year history and the significant fine as a result of the loss of salary, I believe this has been accomplished."

The incident occurred after Young took a called third strike in the Durham Bulls' game at Pawtucket, R.I., on April 26. Replays showed Young walking away from the plate, then the bat flying back into the picture and striking the umpire, whose name has not been released.

"I sincerely regret my actions in the game," Young said in a statement in April. "Regrettably, in the heat of the competition my emotions got the better of me.

"My behavior was completely unacceptable. I want everyone to know that I recognize that it is never right to throw a bat and I certainly never intended for the bat to make contact with the umpire. Nevertheless, I owe an apology to my team, the fans and most importantly to the umpire, for the incident. I am sorry."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

KronoRed
05-09-2006, 04:11 PM
I agree, not enough, should have been the entire season.

BoydsOfSummer
05-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Umpires should walk out on a game or two in protest. I figured he'd get 100 minimum.

remdog
05-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Umpires should walk out on a game or two in protest. I figured he'd get 100 minimum.

These are already replacement umps so then you'd have replacemant replacement umps. :laugh:

Rem

MrCinatit
05-10-2006, 07:21 AM
I will give this to Young: He screwed up big time, and is man enough to admit he screwed up big time. At no time have i seen him try to blame the ump.
Who knows. This could be the kick in the butt which helps this guy turn his life around.

37red
05-10-2006, 11:27 PM
I couldn't find it.

37red
05-10-2006, 11:32 PM
got it, thanks