PDA

View Full Version : question about foul balls given to fans

toledodan
04-27-2006, 04:59 PM
does anyone know why the ballgirl or ballboy at GABP doesn't give the foul balls to the fans like they do at other stadiums. i know they are told not to but wonder why compared to everyone else?

Red Leader
04-27-2006, 05:01 PM
We're a small market organization.

Save pennies where you can.

registerthis
04-27-2006, 05:04 PM

Absolutely. You know how everyone always said that we could have had Tony Womack for a bucket of balls? Well....

RedFanAlways1966
04-27-2006, 05:05 PM
No idea, but I have a guess or two...

* The REDS put a limit on the post-1994-strike fan-friendly thing. They wereon a 5-year plan while other teams are still being fan-friendly. It might have something to do w/ the small market thing.

* The REDS have been accumulating the saved pennies for each foulball that they deny to the fans. Sometime around 2015, they hope they can afford a legit #2 starter... something that has not been seen in these parts since the REDS wore low stirrup socks, high pants legs and (dorky) black shoes.

* Building and PAYING for a new stadium just did not seem like enough to justify giving a free used baseball to the fans who paid for that stadium. Give 'em a free ball and they'll want the world next... those pesky fans.

;)

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 05:18 PM
http://weather.wkowtv.com/images/cash.jpg

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Back in 2004, I sat in the first row along the right field line. These seats were right behind the rolled up tarp and were also right behind the ballboy for that side of the field (I hesitate to call him 'boy' because he appeared to be about 25 years old).

Anyway, during a similar conversation with him, he claimed to me that he would be fired on the spot if he gave a ball away in the stands. The only exception would be if a Reds player directed him to do so (which Kearns did a few times that night).

FWIW, ball 'man' appeared to be deadly serious about his claim. So much, in fact, that I think it made him nervous to even discuss the policy with me.

"Uhm...I may have said too much already..." :cool:

Not quite THAT bad...but I think you get the picture.

KronoRed
04-27-2006, 05:25 PM

Agreed.

Remember on opening day they made people give up any baseballs coming in? where do you think those went?? ;)

toledodan
04-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Back in 2004, I sat in the first row along the right field line. These seats were right behind the rolled up tarp and were also right behind the ballboy for that side of the field (I hesitate to call him 'boy' because he appeared to be about 25 years old).

Anyway, during a similar conversation with him, he claimed to me that he would be fired on the spot if he gave a ball away in the stands. The only exception would be if a Reds player directed him to do so (which Kearns did a few times that night).

FWIW, ball 'man' appeared to be deadly serious about his claim. So much, in fact, that I think it made him nervous to even discuss the policy with me.

"Uhm...I may have said too much already..." :cool:

Not quite THAT bad...but I think you get the picture.

if that is true that is really sad. watching all these other teams small or big market giving these balls away is a slap in the face to us. the fact the tax payers built them a stadium they should be kissing a$$ to do things for us.

User Name
04-27-2006, 05:45 PM
I thought the policy was initiated a few years ago by DanO in an attempt to acquire the necessary balls to pull the trigger on a trade or two.;)

ThatsAStrike
04-27-2006, 06:25 PM
I've always thought this made the Reds look cheap. I don't think the fans should expect to be given balls for free but if everyone else is doing it....

Maybe the new ownership will do something about this.

Unassisted
04-27-2006, 06:41 PM
The previous ownership was in the insurance business, so I've always assumed it was a liability issue. The Reds may be afraid that Ball Boy's errant toss into the stands could plunk someone on the head or that fans will hurt themselves or other fans by diving for it. The release on the back of the ticket covers the team for balls sent into the stands during the course of play, but not for balls deliberately sent there by employees.

Maybe some of the lawyers or aspiring lawyers among us can enlighten us as to whether this could be the case?

MattyHo4Life
04-27-2006, 06:57 PM

Can the balls be re-used? I didn't think that they could be. Umpires usually put balls out of play as soon as they touch the ground, so I can't imagine that they would allow balls to keep being used like that just because a team wants to save money.

LawFive
04-27-2006, 07:01 PM
I think they're used for BP.

TeamBoone
04-27-2006, 08:08 PM
This doesn't address why, but it estimates how many (from Ask Hal on 4/22/06):

Q: How many baseballs are used in one game? — Tom, Hamilton

A: If it's the Cincinnati Reds and either Eric Milton or Dave Williams is pitching, many more than normal. Usually, though, it is nine dozen, and if Miss Gargoyle taught me right in third-grade math, that's 108 baseballs. Mark Stowe, the visiting clubhouse attendant at Great American Ball Park, says sometimes they use as many as 10 dozen. "We lose about 18 at the end of each half inning when the players toss 'em into the stands," he said.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0423askhalweb.html

BCubb2003
04-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Here's a funny story about one man's obsession to get a baseball at GABP.

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/the_baseball_collector/2005/08/81505_at_great_.html

Caveat Emperor
04-27-2006, 08:53 PM
I always assumed part of the reason was just to make life easier on the ballboys/ballgirls because they have to spend the entire game sitting so close to the crowd. Whereas the players are a little removed from the action, the ballboys would have to endure endless nights of "give us a ball, come on" and "you threw the last one over there" and "my kid isn't tall enough to catch them when you throw it up" etc.

It's a lot easier for the person to just say "It's policy that we don't give them out" then to have fans hounding them all night for balls that get hit down the line.

KittyDuran
04-27-2006, 10:38 PM
The times I've been to the Jake - I only saw a bat boy give out one ball - he kept the others. He was talking to one of the fans but I couldn't get all the conversation - but he did mention it doesn't hurt to give out a couple (2) a night - then he said a few more words ending with "hectic"...? So I'm assuming that once the bat boys start handing out the balls everybody wants one...

smith288
04-28-2006, 12:02 AM
I can say that the Columbus Clippers used them for BP prior to the games.

Im assuming thats what these are used for.

Wheelhouse
04-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Can the balls be re-used? I didn't think that they could be. Umpires usually put balls out of play as soon as they touch the ground, so I can't imagine that they would allow balls to keep being used like that just because a team wants to save money.

The balls are used for BP but never in a game again.

WVPacman
04-28-2006, 12:16 AM
I think its crazy myself not giving the balls to the fans.They come to a ballgame to watch their team win and to get a game ball.Yes they might be saving money but imo they should find some other way to save money and give the balls to fans.

alexad
04-28-2006, 09:09 AM
The balls are used for BP but never in a game again.

If the ball is not damaged, it could be used again.

Go to the gift shop. YOu will always find game used balls for sale.

I have caught a few batting practice homeruns and the baseballs are brand new. The only mark on them is from the bat. Actual game balls are dirty from the mud umpires put on them. If you ever get a ball from a pitcher in the bullpen, it will be a game ball. They are the same color. Had Danny Graves give us a ball and it looked like a game used foul ball I have.

What is amazing, I went to games my whole life and never came close to getting a ball.

I finally got one at Indy when the Reds has there AAA team there I was like 32. I have a Donnie Sadler grounder that I got off the ground with my hat. Still Treasure it.

I almost got a Sean Casey ball on a July 4th game. It hit my hand and bounced under my feet. A guy came over and lifted my foot off the ball my seat and took it. I was ticked.

A couple of years ago we attended a game vs. the Pirates on Easter Sunday.

We actually got 4 balls that day. We were sitting in leftfield stands in the first row. I caught two on the fly, had Mondesi throw one up the kids and after the game had a guy give the boys a ball that we saw Danny Graves throw up to him.

We gave one of the fly balls to a kid who was standing beside us and was trying to get a ball. His dad thanked me a million times. I told him we had two already at the time and the joy of coming to the game is the chance to get an actual major league ball.

I gave the Graves ball to my nephew.

That is where I got the comments about the color of the balls etc.....

redsmetz
04-28-2006, 09:51 AM
I once had Michael Tucker toss a ball up to me from center field, even had my glove. To my great embarrassment, it glanced off my glove and dropped down behind the outfield fence. Tucker just stood there and shook his head. My family was merciless, even to this day. Error, Redsmetz... :bang:

Roy Tucker
04-28-2006, 09:56 AM
From what I've seen at other games, ball persons don't just willy-nilly chuck balls into the stands. It's usually the ones that are down the 1st or 3rd baseline that sit right next to the crowd. They field a foul ball, go sit back down, and hand the ball to a fan. This seems a workable thing and I don't know why the Reds don't do this.

Our season tickets are down pretty close and I've watched the interaction between the ball boys, umpires, and the fans over the years. The ball boys around home plate are pretty busy chasing down various fouls and missed pitches (when noone is on base), getting balls for the umps, collecting bats, gloves, etc. They really don't have time to be tossing balls around and there is no place to easily hand the ball to someone.

Invariably, when they retrieve a ball, a few dozen people stand up and holler "me me me me". The ball boy either shakes his head or just avoids eye contact. Usually, many of those peope grumble and carp about it. I feel a little bad for the ball boys, I know it's not their call.

I've seen many player or coach chuck a ball into the stands. Usually, they'll point to the kid/person and that kid/person gets the ball. But often, some idiot decides he needs the ball and dives across 3 rows and over some kid to get the ball. *That* hacks me off.

Bottom line: I think the Reds should let the baseline ball-boys hand over the ball. The home plate ball boys should tend to their job and avoid it.

BuckU
04-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Each baseball runs from $10-$13 a ball (maybe lower assuming that teams buy in high bulk). Times that by Stowe's estimate of balls used per game and that is over $1000 a game. Times that by the number of home games and that $81,000.

That's a possible waiver claim on a DFA'd picher ;)

Horde the balls!

deltachi8
04-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Interesting timing for this thread. Yesterday, my son had a 1/2 day of school (how 2 hours is a half day, I dont know, but thats aother topic for a different board). CC Sabathia was pitching a rehab stint in Buffalo at 1:00 against Syracuse so we went to the game.

I have been attending games for about 30 years and never got a ball. Not one. My 9 year old son came home with TWO yesterday.

Great day at the park and he was grinning ear to ear. He even brought the ball to school today to show his friends. Wanna bet he wants to go to more games now?

smith288
04-28-2006, 01:25 PM
I used to have a huge bag of baseballs when I was a batboy... I lost them all when me and my brother would go to a softball field and hit homeruns.

Wonder if these ball/batboys do the same.

KittyDuran
05-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Maybe someone in the Reds FO reads Reds Live! - I saw the left side batboy give foul balls to people in the stands at today's game...:)

NastyBoy
05-02-2006, 07:47 PM
30,000 baseballs a year at $72 a dozen. $180,000 per season. If the batboy flipped everyball that was taken out of play, it would probably be double that.

Interesting article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05142/508138.stm

Red in Chicago
05-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Maybe someone in the Reds FO reads Reds Live! - I saw the left side batboy give foul balls to people in the stands at today's game...:)

i saw the same thing just a couple of games ago...i was shocked and even commented on it to a friend of mine...

toledodan
05-02-2006, 10:14 PM
maybe this thread has done its job!:D

savafan
05-03-2006, 02:50 AM
This doesn't address why, but it estimates how many (from Ask Hal on 4/22/06):

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0423askhalweb.html

I'd say that's a pretty big reason. The teams do have to pay for the balls, and I saw a stat somewhere the other day that said the Reds use more baseballs per game than any other team in the majors.

TeamBoone
05-03-2006, 03:14 AM
I'd say that's a pretty big reason. The teams do have to pay for the balls, and I saw a stat somewhere the other day that said the Reds use more baseballs per game than any other team in the majors.

I'm sure it's because of all the undeserving HRs hit in homer-friendly GAB.

kheidg-
05-03-2006, 03:16 AM
Here's a funny story about one man's obsession to get a baseball at GABP.

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/the_baseball_collector/2005/08/81505_at_great_.html

Wow this kid is crazy. Thanks for sharing the story...

Jpup
05-03-2006, 06:53 AM
there are a lot of teams that don't give out baseballs.

Here's my theory, go to the game, take your glove, take your chances. If you don't get one, too bad. What fun would it be to have a bat boy hand you a ball? That would be like going to the store and buying one, makes little sense to me.

REDREAD
05-03-2006, 08:17 AM
I think they're used for BP.

Are they also sold in the team store as well? I don't know, but was wondering.

I know for awhile, they were saving up all those balls for Pete Rose's display in the Reds HOF.

Yes, it does make the team look very cheap. A nice reminder of how cheap the Allen/Lindner regime was.

westofyou
05-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Yes, it does make the team look very cheap. A nice reminder of how cheap the Allen/Lindner regime was.Cheap and blinded by mediocrity, just note the amount of tie ins with corporate sponsers (Mt Dew Cheerleaders) and signage that the GAB will have this season, stuff like that can pay your ball bill.

Lindners group ran the team like it was still 1985 as far as maximizing revenue was concerned.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-03-2006, 11:57 AM
there are a lot of teams that don't give out baseballs.

Here's my theory, go to the game, take your glove, take your chances. If you don't get one, too bad. What fun would it be to have a bat boy hand you a ball? That would be like going to the store and buying one, makes little sense to me.

Agree. Besides, the balls they keep will eventually work their way back into the stands during BP. I'd rather my son (or me :) catch a HR hit by Dunn in BP than have a ballgirl hand him one.

Ya gotta earn it.

TeamBoone
05-03-2006, 12:37 PM
I know for awhile, they were saving up all those balls for Pete Rose's display in the Reds HOF.

Are you sure? All those balls look brand new to me.