PDA

View Full Version : Any SoCal people out there?

BuckeyeRed27
04-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Hi,

I have an interview next week with my company to take a position with our office in Santa Monica. There is no guarentee that I'll get the job, but I'm optimistic and would like to start covering my bases here. I currently live in Cincinnati and although I have lived in California, never on my own, and am looking for some advice. What is the best way to go about looking for an apartment. I'd like to live as close to Santa Monica as possible. I only need a 1 bedroom or a studio.

Any other general advice about living in Southern California would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks

remdog
04-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Good luck with the interview. I made the jump from Cincinnati to LA in June (albeit many years ago) and it was one of the most fun summers I ever had.

Living in Santa Monica would be great for a couple of reasons: #1) it's a pretty nice area. #2) it'll save you from a long commute to work which will be worth a lot in terms of both time and money.

It's been a long time since I spent much time in The Republic of Santa Monica (tends to be a pretty Liberal area) but the beach (of course), the Pier, shopping and restaurants are top notch. Venice and some of the West Side areas like Westwood might also work for you. Maybe Marina del Rey would be a possibility---a lot would depend on where your office is since local traffic patterns can make a bigger difference than milage. I would try to avoid the freeways at all costs and you should always know an alternate route, 'just in case'.....:)

I know that here in Newport some of the best rental ads aren't found in the LA Times but in a seperate local paper that comes as an insert in the Times (on a daily basis). I'm not sure if they have a similar insert in the SM area. A web search might reveal that. LA Weekly is an 'alternative' publication that might give you some rental possibilites but I don't know if they have an online version. I'm sure with websites like Craig's List there are a lot of opportunities to pre-shop apartments before you get out here.

A couple of summers ago my company hired my best friends' son as a collage intern and he had about a dozen places checked out from web sites when he arrived. In the end he ended up with a really good situation though just from driving around the area where he wanted to live and looking for 'For Rent' signs----sometimes good ol' footwork turns out best. There are also some on-line rental agencies that may be worth the price. Moving to this area in the summertime puts you into competition with a lot of other people doing the same thing so any edge you can get helps.

When I first moved here I lived in an apartment complex called Oakwood apartments. Oakwood is a national company that has a number of locations in the LA area. They used to offer both furnished (if you need that) and unfurnished apartments and they used to offer 6 month leases which can be helpful if you want to have a little time to sort out the area and see where you want to settle. I just checked and they have a location in Marina del Rey. The website is www.oakwood.com.

I don't know if any of this has helped but I wish you luck.

Rem

RBA
04-28-2006, 10:02 AM
I haven't been to Santa Monica in a long time. We use to go almost every week because my Aunt use to live there back in the 70's. It a nice place to live and work. It rarely gets too hot because the ocean keeps it comfortable most of the year. You'll get some fog days of course. But the smog from LA is usually held back by the ocean breeze. I hope your company is going to pay a cost of living allowance or else you will have a long commute to work because rent will not be cheap in the local area.

westofyou
04-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Any other general advice about living in Southern California would be greatly appreicated.

Make sure you have a working auto and a good stereo, you'll be spending alot of time togather.

nate
04-28-2006, 12:25 PM
First post here...something I actually know a bit about!

Santa Monica is brutally expensive. Well, all of coastal California is brutally expensive, both from a rent and homebuying point of view. And cars. Heck, its all expensive!

As another poster recommended, Craigslist is a good source for places. You can also check out realtor.com.

West LA (just east of Santa Monica) may be a little cheaper. Marina del Rey is probably just as, if not more expensive. El Segundo (just south of LAX) might be a little cheaper and can have a cool "small town" vibe. Culver City is probably slightly less unaffordable than Santa Monica.

That's pretty much all that's near Santa Monica. If you get much further out, you're looking at an hour commute (not an hour as the crow flies, just traffic) either way.

westofyou
04-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Listen to Nate, sounds like Fountain and Fairfax is more than a just a song to him, welcome Nate, from a california expatriate.

ochre
04-28-2006, 12:36 PM
I left my wallet in El Segundo.

westofyou
04-28-2006, 12:53 PM
I left my wallet in El Segundo.
Well I drove down to Pedro

Rychian
04-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Not often i see an afghan whigs reference. So I just want to recognize the beauty of what just took place there.

Tom

westofyou
04-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Not often i see an afghan whigs reference. So I just want to recognize the beauty of what just took place there.

Tom
Who you call retarded now?
I said who you call retarded now?

Rychian
04-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Tonight, tonight i say goodbye
To everyone who loves me
Stick it to my enemies, tonight
Then i disappear
Bathe my path in shining light
Set the dials to thrill me
Every secret has its price
This one's set to kill

I LOVED that band. Bogarts, Sudsys and Whigs. I hate that they arent around anymore. Any Greg Dulli sightings recently? I do see the twilight singers will be releasing an album soon

westofyou
04-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Any Greg Dulli sightings recently? I do see the twilight singers will be releasing an album soonPedro and I saw Dulli and the Twilights a last year or so ago, they'll be in PDX in June, Dulli has a cigarette tech.. only guy ever.

Rychian
04-28-2006, 06:35 PM
how was the twilights show. They are going to be coming here to cleveland in a month or so.

BuckeyeRed27
05-05-2006, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.
I just found out today that I got the job. So I will be moving out to Cali next week and my first day is May 18th at my new office.
I'm really excited. I still don't have a place to live but I'll figure it out.

RBA
05-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.
I just found out today that I got the job. So I will be moving out to Cali next week and my first day is May 18th at my new office.
I'm really excited. I still don't have a place to live but I'll figure it out.

Bring a sleeping bag, you can sleep under the Santa Monica pier.

Congrats on your new job.