PDA

View Full Version : No Junior today....

medford
04-28-2006, 01:49 PM
According to Marc's Blog, Junior will not be activated today.

Either he's more hurt then they're telling us, or they're on the verge of a trade. Either scenerio seems possible w/ this franchise.

Joseph
04-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Heath
04-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Here's the scoop from the blog directly.
No Junior today

Word from the Reds is that Ken Griffey Jr. will not be activated from the disabled list today. Go figure. Further details to come on that when I get to the park in a couple of hours.

Also, for those of you who might be interested in watching me make a fool of myself, I'm supposed to be on ESPNews at 4:30 p.m. today. We'll see how that goes. Go easy on me...

I wonder if he will be wearing his UGA helmet.... :D

Red Leader
04-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Here's the scoop from the blog directly.

I wonder if he will be wearing his UGA helmet.... :D

Can you post a link to Marc's blog. I've been meaning to bookmark it, but keep forgetting...:doh:

Heath
04-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Can you post a link to Marc's blog. I've been meaning to bookmark it, but keep forgetting...:doh:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

FWIW - the spring title is still from last spring.

Caveat Emperor
04-28-2006, 01:58 PM

Either he's more hurt then they're telling us, or they're on the verge of a trade. Either scenerio seems possible w/ this franchise.

I've heard from way too many different palces that Junior is fine to think they're hiding a more serious injury.

I just think they're painted into a corner on the roster right now and really don't know what to do. I thought for sure they were going to try and move a catcher, but they haven't really been featuring anyone lately. It'll be interesting to see what kind of juggling job they do.

If Griffey is ready, I imagine he's none too pleased with being forced to sit the pine while the team figures out how to turn lead into more options.

Heath
04-28-2006, 02:00 PM
DFA McCracken - I don't know why its that hard.

Its obvious that the PBTNL in the Phillips deal is NOT Cody Ross.

Kc61
04-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Here's the skeptical point of view: if Griffey is really ready to play, nothing keeps him off the roster. No trade (unless it is KGJr. himself), no roster consideration, nothing. So I have to believe he is not ready to play.

flyer85
04-28-2006, 02:08 PM
I've heard from way too many different palces that Junior is fine to think they're hiding a more serious injury. If that's the case then why not have him out there against Oswalt. The more lefties the better.

All we've heard it is day-to-day, very minor yada yada yada. Now his 15 days are up and with a big series against the Astros there is no Jr. That is not a good sign.

CTA513
04-28-2006, 02:09 PM

I thought I heard either yesterday or the day before that he still had tightness behind his knee.

flyer85
04-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Here's the skeptical point of view: if Griffey is really ready to play, nothing keeps him off the roster. No trade (unless it is KGJr. himself), no roster consideration, nothing. So I have to believe he is not ready to play.I don't think it can be read any other way. If he is not ready to play now, then when? Honestly I don't expect him back anytime soon because of how tight lipped the Reds have been since he went on the DL. I think they are hiding something.

Heath
04-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Hal (McCoy, DDN) said that he was ready to go 'on schedule'. This was either Wednesday or Thursdays paper.

EDIT-Here's the Bank President's take on Wednesday.

Griffey's return on schedule
Reds notebook: Junior's rehab going well; he's ready to come off disabled list Friday
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
WASHINGTON - Ken Griffey Jr. passed his most extensive test since going on the disabled list.

He ran the bases at 90 to 100 percent Monday. The key was he had no ill effects from the workout Tuesday.

That put him on schedule to come off the disabled list Friday - the first day that he's eligible.

"It's going good," trainer Mark Mann said. "(Tuesday) was more of a recovery day. But it was important to see how he felt.

"He said he was fine."

Griffey slightly hyper-extended his right knee running in the outfield at Wrigley Field on April 12.

He was day-to-day for five days. He even was on deck to pinch-hit twice.

But when the soreness kept returning, the Reds had medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek exam him.

Griffey was diagnosed with a strained tendon in the knee. He was place on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 13.

Reds manager Jerry Narron said Griffey will get built-in rest days when he returns.

"He's not going to like it," Narron said. "He wants to play every day."

BRM
04-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Here's the skeptical point of view: if Griffey is really ready to play, nothing keeps him off the roster. No trade (unless it is KGJr. himself), no roster consideration, nothing. So I have to believe he is not ready to play.

Agreed. A home weekend series against Houston and he's still not activated? He's simply not ready to play.

Heath
04-28-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't think it can be read any other way. If he is not ready to play now, then when? Honestly I don't expect him back anytime soon because of how tight lipped the Reds have been since he went on the DL. I think they are hiding something.

Hasn't Junior's injuries always seem to be hidden?

Caveat Emperor
04-28-2006, 02:15 PM
They're probably working on a deal for the roster move to bring him back -- the party they were dealing with probably held out because they thought the Reds would come down in whatever their demands were because they wanted a deal done by Friday to get Jr. activited.

Otherwise who gets DFA'd? Q is obviously a Krivsky favorite as a pinch hitter and defensive replacement. Their new aquisitions have no options. They can't send a pitcher because they're stretched too thin with the bad starting pitching they're getting from Claussen and Williams.

I expect something will break tonight or tomorrow.

flyer85
04-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Hasn't Junior's injuries always seem to be hidden?Of course, I predicted that when it happened. I thought he would spend a week on day-to-day before heading to the DL, I missed by two days.

There are two possibilities and neither are good
1) It actually was minor but it is not getting any better.
2) It was rather serious and the Reds were intentionally misleading(they did put him on the DL immediately after Kremcheck examined him).

The above has to be assessed in light of his awful injury history.

flyer85
04-28-2006, 02:17 PM
They're probably working on a deal for the roster move to bring him back -- the party they were dealing with probably held out because they thought the Reds would come down in whatever their demands were because they wanted a deal done by Friday to get Jr. activited.that could go on indefinitely and there is no way that holding on to a QM is worth messing around with the return of Jr on the weekend of a big home series.

kbrake
04-28-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm with flyer on this. I get the feeling that this injury is much more serious then we are being let on. Also if a deal was getting ready to go down I would think that we would have caught at least some wind of it.

Red Leader
04-28-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm with flyer on this. I get the feeling that this injury is much more serious then we are being let on. Also if a deal was getting ready to go down I would think that we would have caught at least some wind of it.

If a deal was going down, couldn't they DFA the player they were going to trade, thus giving them 10 days to make the trade, and opening up a spot for Junior tonight?

I'm on board with kbrake and flyer. This injury has to be something they're really being cautious with because they are concerned it could turn into a long term injury, or cause him to reinjure and miss the season.

Also, no way they keep Junior from returning because of a trade. He'd be absolutely furious. The FO owes him more than that, and I know the new FO knows this and wouldn't do that to him. This is the new FO, that has been upfront and honest with players so far, as far as I can tell. This isn't the old regime that would stick a fork in someone's back just because they could.

PickOff
04-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Griffey must still be hurt. If he is not, how do they spin it, ask Griffey to lie? Lie to Griffey about his own health status? I don't think so. Now, I'm not saying there isn't a trade in the works here, but if Griffey were ready to play, then he would have to be activated, unless they announce a trade this afternoon and simply say that we think he needed one more day of treatment.

kbrake
04-28-2006, 02:35 PM
I know its only April but I have to believe the players are going to be looking forward these next 5 games very much, and I just cant see Junior not playing unless this is pretty serious. We as fans tend to get excited easily because we have not seen a winner in so long, well it is the same for most these guys playing. I'm sure this hot start has them much more energized then coming to the park everyday 10 games under .500

Gallen5862
04-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Why not give Junior a rehab game or Two. This would give Junior the chance to work out any rust and get his swing back plus give the team more time to work on the roster spot.

KronoRed
04-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Not suprised.

And Marc went to UGA? gosh..I liked him too...shame ;)

Patrick Bateman
04-28-2006, 03:25 PM
If Krivsky is not prepared to get rid of Q, then he shouldn't have traded for Cody Ross.

Big Klu
04-28-2006, 03:38 PM
I think he must not be ready. If he were, then the club would either DFA McCracken, or (preferably) DFA a pitcher. Let's face it--the seventh reliever on any team sucks, and we would be better off dividing his workload among the rotation and other six relievers.

Eleven pitchers is (more than) enough!

Newport Red
04-28-2006, 03:48 PM
I think he must not be ready. If he were, then the club would either DFA McCracken, or (preferably) DFA a pitcher. Let's face it--the seventh reliever on any team sucks, and we would be better off dividing his workload among the rotation and other six relievers.

Eleven pitchers is (more than) enough!

Except when Dave Williams is on your staff. You'll need that 11th pitcher for long relief.

Johnny Footstool
04-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Griffey reportedly ran the bases at close to 100% this week, and reported no pain and no ill effects.

Big Klu
04-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Except when Dave Williams is on your staff. You'll need that 11th pitcher for long relief.

And we will have him. But we don't need a twelfth pitcher.

Chip R
04-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Griffey reportedly ran the bases at close to 100% this week, and reported no pain and no ill effects.

I guess close to 100% wasn't good enough. :dunno:

Heath
04-28-2006, 04:34 PM
I guess close to 100% wasn't good enough. :dunno:

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

smith288
04-28-2006, 04:38 PM
<- annoyed

LexingtonRedsFan
04-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Why not give Junior a rehab game or Two. This would give Junior the chance to work out any rust and get his swing back plus give the team more time to work on the roster spot.

IIRC Griffey nixed going down for a rehab in the past...

Spitball
04-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Of course, I predicted that when it happened. I thought he would spend a week on day-to-day before heading to the DL, I missed by two days.

There are two possibilities and neither are good
1) It actually was minor but it is not getting any better.
2) It was rather serious and the Reds were intentionally misleading(they did put him on the DL immediately after Kremcheck examined him).

The above has to be assessed in light of his awful injury history.

I remember posting my suspicions about the severity of Junior's injury on the "McCracken Recalled" thread.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44927&highlight=Spitball

Nobody seemed to agree at that time.

I'd love to see him for the Astros, but he might not have the timing to face a Roy Oswalt.

Heath
04-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Did Marc give any insight on ESPNEWS today?

GIK
04-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Maybe he'll be activated tomorrow (bad career numbers v. Oswalt and tomorrow's early start after tonight's game). Maybe.

KronoRed
04-28-2006, 05:18 PM
<- annoyed
You're just a caveman, they don't care ;)

Red Leader
04-28-2006, 05:56 PM
From Marc:

Junior: 'It's getting better'

Let's save the conspiracy theories on Junior's situation. He says he's not 100 percent ready, and until he is, he's not inclined to go back out there.

"When I come back, it's not going to be one of those things where we try to protect this, protect that," he said.

My guess is we may see him for the Cardinals series, and whether that happens or not, I'd be very surprised if he's not on the plane to Denver after Tuesday's game.

"I'm not alarmed by it at all," said Wayne Krivsky. "We know he's doing all his running and throwing and all his prescribed rehab, but he's not quite there yet. There's no hidden agenda, none of that."

GAC
04-28-2006, 06:22 PM
What does it benefit them to hide this injury if indeed it is more serious then thought? I'm just not buying some of this conspiracy thinking that is going on behind this.

So Kremcheck is lying and part of this "coverup"?

If it's worse then thought, then it's gonna come out sooner or later, you just can't hide that. And it would not only look bad on Kremcheck, but this management.... and I think this new ownership/management also realizes this.

I'm watching the pre-game on FoxSportsNet, and they showed Jr out earlier today doing various drills and exercises, and the guy looked fine and ready to go. And they reported that Krivsky said that when Jr is ready, he will be in there.

That's why I think it is still simply tightness behind his knee... that is just being pesky, and they are taking extra precautions due to his history. ;)

StillFunkyB
04-28-2006, 07:12 PM
What does it benefit them to hide this injury if indeed it is more serious then thought? I'm just not buying some of this conspiracy thinking that is going on behind this.

So Kremcheck is lying and part of this "coverup"?

If it's worse then thought, then it's gonna come out sooner or later, you just can't hide that. And it would not only look bad on Kremcheck, but this management.... and I think this new ownership/management also realizes this.

I'm watching the pre-game on FoxSportsNet, and they showed Jr out earlier today doing various drills and exercises, and the guy looked fine and ready to go. And they reported that Krivsky said that when Jr is ready, he will be in there.

That's why I think it is still simply tightness behind his knee... that is just being pesky, and they are taking extra precautions due to his history. ;)

I agree GAC. Well said.

savafan
04-28-2006, 07:14 PM
This doesn't make sense. I thought Jr. only went on the DL to help the Reds with the roster crunch when they needed a spot for LaRue. :dunno:

GAC
04-28-2006, 08:30 PM
This doesn't make sense. I thought Jr. only went on the DL to help the Reds with the roster crunch when they needed a spot for LaRue. :dunno:

Well... you thought wrong again! ;)

savafan
04-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Well... you thought wrong again! ;)

I'm beginning to make a habit of it. :p:

redsrule2500
04-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Compare Reds record with Jr. and without.

He can stay on the DL for a little longer ;) (not wishing injury, just kidding around)

doug flynn
04-29-2006, 03:36 AM
Any chance with Oswald on the mound, Krivskey simply wanted better defense for the game for last night? Jr. wouldn't play a day game after a night game, so sell Giff on coming back the weekend, when he could go back to back games. Just a thought.

KronoRed
04-29-2006, 03:49 AM
Doubtful, the Reds still see JR as the 90's gold glove version.

savafan
04-29-2006, 05:38 AM
Any chance with Oswald on the mound,

Well, with Oswald on the mound and the second gunman on the grassy knoll, I believe the Reds were wise to keep Junior off the field. :evil: