PDA

View Full Version : Radical new diet

creek14
04-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Back in January I came across this brand new diet and thought I would give it a try.

Here it is: Eat less, exercise more. :devil:

Amazingly it seems to work. I'm down 55lbs (I thought about stopping at 44...) since 17 Jan.

Who would have imagined it could be so simple!!

Just thought I would pass it along to those who might also be horizontally challenged.

MrCinatit
04-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Good the hear, Creek.
I dropped about 40 last year simply by radically changing my diet by not only eating less, but getting rid of fried foods, a lot of cheese, chips, sugars and so forth.
I have only recently started the excersise routine - I have not set weight to lose (i don't own a scale) - but wuld like to get rid of this pizza gut.

redsfanmia
04-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Its amazing how easy it really is. I have stopped eating fast food out and have cut back on my Mountain Dews and walk on the treadmill for a half an hour a night and have lost 15 lbs in about 3 weeks. Its not brain surgery but its tough developing the routine.

Joseph
04-28-2006, 09:31 PM
Congrats Creek. Can you email that to me? lol. Kidding. I need to do that too.

bucksfan
04-28-2006, 11:39 PM
That's fantastic, creek! I have always said that's all I ever needed to do to be in decent shape. Note the word "said", not 'practiced"! But now that 40 has crept up on me with a shoestring tackle (when I was 22 I would have avoided that!), I need to put my words into action.

deltachi8
04-28-2006, 11:59 PM
great job! now the challenge is to keep it off...and you can do it.

Red in Chicago
04-29-2006, 12:22 AM
that is awesome!!!! congrats!!! :thumbup:

vaticanplum
04-29-2006, 12:37 AM
I'm down 55lbs (I thought about stopping at 44...) since 17 Jan.

My god is that even healthy?!

But congratulations!

macro
04-29-2006, 03:01 AM

It will never work. For a weight-loss plan to work, it must involve completely eliminating fat, completely eliminating carbs, the purchase of the latest diet book, or it must include a quirky abdominal machine purchased from an infomercial. Those are the only plans that are worthwhile...

...just kidding. Way to go, creek! It's simple, but you're on the only tested-and-true method! Now, if I could only follow your lead...

creek14
04-29-2006, 08:19 AM
it must include a quirky abdominal machine purchased from an infomercial.

:owned: I bought a *Six Second Abs*. :redface:

But you really can feel it working the abs.

Oh, and I bought a Bowflex. :redface: :redface:

Haven't fallen for the Ab Lounger. Yet... :)

And I ride my bike at least 15 miles four times a week.

RedsBaron
04-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Congrats Creek!:thumbup:
Has Adam seen the "new you" yet?;)

KittyDuran
04-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Haven't fallen for the Ab Lounger. Yet...
My parents did (both in their 80s)...:p:

Red in Chicago
04-29-2006, 09:58 AM
creek, how is the bowflex? i've been thinking about getting one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet...was it difficult to put together or did you have someone do that for you?

SandyD
04-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Congrats, creek. Way to go.

Now go find a skimpy new outfit to wear in the left field seats at GAB. ;)

RedsBaron
04-29-2006, 10:16 AM
creek, how is the bowflex? i've been thinking about getting one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet...was it difficult to put together or did you have someone do that for you?
I owned a Bowflex until a few months ago. It was okay, but we didn't have room for it in our home.

creek14
04-29-2006, 10:18 AM
mr creek put it together with *supervision* from me. :D

It isn't hard to assemble, just a lot of steps. I was amazed at the quality of the materials. Very sturdy.

I love it. It's the first piece of exercise equipment that hasn't turned into a clothes rack.

I have an Extreme 2. You don't have to change cables like you do on some of the the models.

They aren't cheap, but if you buy directly from BowFlex, you can negotiate the price a little bit.

creek14
04-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Congrats Creek!:thumbup:
Has Adam seen the "new you" yet?;)
LOL, I'm waiting until next ST. Then I'll actually look good in the new outfit Sandy suggests.

Ohhhh, to be 25 years younger and single... ;) ;)

creek14
05-26-2006, 07:24 PM
Update. Yeah I know you don't care, but I'm working hard at this so I'm going to share.

Down 65 lbs.

BoydsOfSummer
05-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Does your hubby let you date?;)

creek14
05-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Does your hubby let you date?
LOL!! He puts up with my Adam fixation, so he might buy into the dating thing... ;)

Raisor
05-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Update. Yeah I know you don't care, but I'm working hard at this so I'm going to share.

Down 65 lbs.

Creek=

http://evilstickman.com/assets/images/db_images/db_Evil-Stick-Woman2.jpg

KronoRed
05-27-2006, 01:01 AM
Nice skirt.

RedsBaron
05-27-2006, 07:59 AM

Down 65 lbs.
I am impressed. I thought I had done well to lose 7-10 pounds. 65!:thumbup:

SandyD
05-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Congrats, creek. Keep up the good work!

creek14
05-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Creek=

http://evilstickman.com/assets/images/db_images/db_Evil-Stick-Woman2.jpg
That's pretty much what has happened to the area between my shoulders and my waist. :cry: :eek: ;)

GAC
05-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Back in January I came across this brand new diet and thought I would give it a try.

Amazingly it seems to work. I'm down 55lbs (I thought about stopping at 44...) since 17 Jan.

Who would have imagined it could be so simple!!

Just thought I would pass it along to those who might also be horizontally challenged.

We want a bikini pic for verification purposes. ;)

Whenever my wife goes on a diet I lose too... the will to live.

I want to get together for another game here in the next month. I knew you were gone on a business trip.

I'm not gonna be able to go to the June RZ get-together. My oldest boy is having surgery on the 7th.

But I want to come down and bring rachel and Samuel (his 1st game). So bring Lil' creek.

halcyon
05-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Very impressive!

Similarly, I decided I needed to drop some weight a year ago. I lost around 30 pounds as healthily as possible. When family members and friends saw me, they all asked the same question: "what diet did you use?". My response was always something along the lines of "no diet. I stopped eating the stuff that was extra bad for me, and I started to exercise." The funny thing is, that was not the answer that most folks seemed to want to hear.

creek14
05-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Very impressive!

Similarly, I decided I needed to drop some weight a year ago. I lost around 30 pounds as healthily as possible. When family members and friends saw me, they all asked the same question: "what diet did you use?". My response was always something along the lines of "no diet. I stopped eating the stuff that was extra bad for me, and I started to exercise." The funny thing is, that was not the answer that most folks seemed to want to hear.
Boy isn't that the truth. Everyone is looking for a magic bullet and they really don't want to hear that they need to eat less and get off the couch (unless the Reds are on TV, of course).

I am also making an effort to stay away from refined sugar, white flour, and anything that says *hydrogenated* or *high fructose.* Not really a diet, just a better way of living and eating.

I even managed to lose 5lbs on my latest business trip. I spent a lot of time in restaurants with people shoveling the food in while telling me how hard they were trying to lose weight...

creek14
07-20-2006, 10:45 AM
80 gone. I might be done. Or not.

Heath
07-20-2006, 10:53 AM
:clap:

GIK
07-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Wow! That's great, Creek!

Red Leader
07-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Congratulations, creek. That really is awesome. How does you ankle feel? Is it better (I'm sure it's not 100%) now that you've lost the weight? Have you had as many problems with it as before?

Dom Heffner
07-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Boy isn't that the truth. Everyone is looking for a magic bullet and they really don't want to hear that they need to eat less and get off the couch (unless the Reds are on TV, of course).

It's simple math. Burn more than you take in.

Creek, I am so happy for you.

I am going to share your story with my mom, who keeps looking for that magic pill.

RedsFan75
07-20-2006, 11:49 AM
:owned: I bought a *Six Second Abs*. :redface:

But you really can feel it working the abs.

Oh, and I bought a Bowflex. :redface: :redface:

Haven't fallen for the Ab Lounger. Yet... :)

And I ride my bike at least 15 miles four times a week.

I've got a bowflex clone (by Weider) about half the price of the bowflex, and I'm actually looking at the ab lounger but for specific reasons..

My problem is in relation to Osteoarthritis from my middle back down and a lower back, spine injury. The problem is so bad in my knees that people walking beside me can hear them grind as I go up stairs. My back problem prevents me from flexing the spine very much and also from doing your typical ab workout.

So for me, doing any traditional aerobic type activity (Bike, walking, running... etc) is out of the question. The weight training is the only thing keeping me half-way in shape and even then I've got to be careful the type activities I do even with the bow-machine. (Anyone have any suggestions)

So it's great to hear your progress Creek, and keep up the good work... oh... and post pics so we can rejoice with you! :D

creek14
07-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Congratulations, creek. That really is awesome. How does you ankle feel? Is it better (I'm sure it's not 100%) now that you've lost the weight? Have you had as many problems with it as before?
No better. My ortho told me since most of the pain is from nerve damage it wouldn't get any better. Oh well. At least I don't have to use a cane, so I'm a happy chick.

Anyway, limps are sexy. Right?

20 more lbs and I'll be at the post break weight. WOOOOHOOOO.

creek14
07-21-2006, 05:48 PM
oh... and post pics so we can rejoice with you! :D
As soon as Adam agrees to be in one with me, I'll post it. :evil:

westofyou
07-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Creek, does having the Vegi husband help or is that just something that doesn't play into it?

RFS62
07-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Soooo, how ya doin'?

creek14
07-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Creek, does having the Vegi husband help or is that just something that doesn't play into it?
Really hasn't been a factor. I just do my thing and he does his. This has been a very selfish time for me, but it was something I had to do. No excuses. And using the old not wanting to cook more than one meal was just an excuse.

creek14
07-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Soooo, how ya doin'?
Great. How gou doin, baby? :devil:

westofyou
07-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Really hasn't been a factor. I just do my thing and he does his. This has been a very selfish time for me, but it was something I had to do. No excuses. And using the old not wanting to cook more than one meal was just an excuse.
Hence, why I'm the cook in my house.

pedro
07-21-2006, 05:59 PM
good for you Creek. That's awesome.

I recently did a cleansing fast and that really helped to change my eating habits. Been staying away from sugar, cheese, and fried foods and have trying to excercise more. Eating less too.

Red Leader
07-21-2006, 06:04 PM
good for you Creek. That's awesome.

I recently did a cleansing fast and that really helped to change my eating habits. Been staying away from sugar, cheese, and fried foods and have trying to excercise more. Eating less too.

Oooh, oooh. I did that, too. ;)

I've also been eating better. Lost about 12-14 lbs from that and have only put back on about 4 lbs so far. Feel real good, and I'm also eating better. My fried food consumption has probably been cut about 97%.

KronoRed
07-21-2006, 06:55 PM
As soon as Adam agrees to be in one with me, I'll post it. :evil:
:eek:

Nice work Creek :)

redhot74
07-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Low carb works for me, I love meats and veggies anyways.

StillFunkyB
07-21-2006, 10:46 PM
Awesome news Creek!

It's hard to "diet" on the road, how did you do it? I always travel, so I have been trying to eat more Subway and things of that nature rather than BurgerKingTacoBellMcDonalds crap.

I also started drinking a 12oz can of V8 in the morning when I take my vitamins. Figured I don't eat many veggies, so this is a good way to get them in my diet. I have actually started to like the taste of V8. Who woulda thunk it?

Redsland
07-22-2006, 01:23 PM
80 pounds?!

If Bronson Arroyo did that, he'd weigh 110. Just sayin'.

Great job, sexy!

:thumbup:

RedFanAlways1966
07-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Super, creek! :thumbup:

I am one of those types that some people dislike when it comes to the weight thing (and other things too... I am sure). I still wear the same size of jeans (and everything else) that I wore when I graduated from high school. Not bad considering my diabetes forces me to eat 3 meals and two in-between-meal snacks per day. It is a genetic thing b/c my two siblings have the same shape that they had when they became HS grads as well.

Great work!!

creek14
07-22-2006, 02:01 PM
It's hard to "diet" on the road, how did you do it?

Well, you can't care too much about variety.

I would have two scrambled eggs every morning. Luckily I have very low (~110) cholesterol, so I can handle that many eggs.

Then about 10 I would have a V8.

I had a salad every day for lunch. Lowfat or fat free dressing.

Mid afternoon was a piece of fruit or one of those dandy little 100 calorie snack packs they have now.

For dinner I would have grilled chicken and veggies and maybe another small salad.

Then around 9, I would have one more piece of fruit.

Boring? Yep, but I didn't gain while on four weeks worth of business trips, and that use to never be the case with me.

I followed that same routine the first week of vacation. Then the last week I ate a lot of seafood - mostly grilled.

You'll notice that I am way short on dairy and grains. I don't really like dairy, so I don't have much even while at home. I do take calcium suppliments. I also decided that a few weeks of grainlessness wouldn't kill me. I am really picky about eating a good multi-grain bread, and they don't serve those at the Embassy Suites free breakfast, so I just went without.

And I maintained my 128+ oz of water a day. That's key.

StillFunkyB
07-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Well, you can't care too much about variety.

I would have two scrambled eggs every morning. Luckily I have very low (~110) cholesterol, so I can handle that many eggs.

Then about 10 I would have a V8.

I had a salad every day for lunch. Lowfat or fat free dressing.

Mid afternoon was a piece of fruit or one of those dandy little 100 calorie snack packs they have now.

For dinner I would have grilled chicken and veggies and maybe another small salad.

Then around 9, I would have one more piece of fruit.

Boring? Yep, but I didn't gain while on four weeks worth of business trips, and that use to never be the case with me.

I followed that same routine the first week of vacation. Then the last week I ate a lot of seafood - mostly grilled.

You'll notice that I am way short on dairy and grains. I don't really like dairy, so I don't have much even while at home. I do take calcium suppliments. I also decided that a few weeks of grainlessness wouldn't kill me. I am really picky about eating a good multi-grain bread, and they don't serve those at the Embassy Suites free breakfast, so I just went without.

And I maintained my 128+ oz of water a day. That's key.

Thanks for the tips. It's not going to be easy, but I'm gonna give it a shot. The biggest obstacle is the fact that I am hardly ever in a hotel room for more than one night. Only on the weekends usually. Most every day it's a different city, different hotel. With the heat here in Florida (or anywhere right now) it's hard to keep food in the car during the day while your working.

creek14
07-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the tips. It's not going to be easy, but I'm gonna give it a shot. The biggest obstacle is the fact that I am hardly ever in a hotel room for more than one night. Only on the weekends usually. Most every day it's a different city, different hotel. With the heat here in Florida (or anywhere right now) it's hard to keep food in the car during the day while your working.
I really didn't keep food in my hotel room. I would either pick up a salad at McDonald's in the morning on the way into work or just run out at lunch time and grab one. I would usually stop at a grocery every night and pick up a couple apples or whatever for the next day.

WebScorpion
07-26-2006, 12:17 PM
That's an incredible display of willpower Creek! I quit smoking (also through sheer willpower) about 5 years ago and have gained 60 pounds since then. I keep telling myself I'll use the same willpower to alter my diet and exercise more often, but have not succeeded yet. My weakness is late night snacking...after dinner I just keep eating whatever is around the house. Candy, chips, leftovers, cheese & crackers, etc. I think most people know exactly what they are doing wrong , but tend to rationalize and come up with excuses for their behavior. Congrats on facing your demons and overcoming them. You're an inspiration to us all. :thumbup:

wally post
07-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Creek - you ROCK / you SWING / you TANGO!!!! :D
( I hear Adam likes to tango...)

Johnny Footstool
07-27-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm very happy that you've been able to continue to lose weight without stopping and/or hitting a plateau.

It sounds like you actually *have* found the magic bullet, which is simple willpower and commitment. You've made the toughest of decisions -- that you're going to change your lifestyle and habits to make a change in your body. It seems like a simple choice, but most of us simply don't have the willpower to carry throught. You obviously do, so congratulations! Keep up the good work!

creek14
07-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks guys. I was thin most of my life (until the big break of '01). Then I just developed terrible eating habits (see food, eat food) - and couldn't exercise. It's good to feel good again.

I went to the Dr. Monday. First time he had seen me in about 9 or 10 months. He walked into the room, looked at me, and said "let me see your stomach." I gave him a :confused: look. He said, I want to see if you have gastric by-pass scars. I :rolleyes: and told him it was done the old fashion way.

creek14
08-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Down 88. Gonna go for an even 100. Back to the pre broken ankle weight.

i_heart_jason
08-12-2006, 01:29 AM
that's so awesome Creek!!! i can only imagine how hot you must be now... i bet Adam will be climbing INTO the stands to get to you.

in april i started a no sugar, no yeast, nothing fermented life-change. i can't call it a diet, because its not temporary. and i have lost almost 30 pounds. the list of things i CAN eat is WAY smaller than the one with what i CAN'T. i should start drinking more water, like you say. but i am taking supplements as well... mine started as a food allergy of sorts.

but congrats! keep up the great work!