PDA

View Full Version : Take your pick... 3 catcher Poll

WMR
04-29-2006, 04:14 AM
Evaluating which catcher would net which return and whether or not prospects should/would be involved etc. etc., which if these 3 catchers would you prefer to see traded (Assuming that one will/should be).

I vote to keep LaRue and Ross.

I think we saw a bit of the "old" LaRue tonight. When he gets back, he can rake.

Ross, I like him and whatever in the hell he has going with Arroyo. Also: I think he's a serviceable back-up catch and appears to be decent defensively.

Sooooo.... I say trade Valentin. We could probably at least package him with another player and get a decent pitcher, maybe two? One starter who is ready and maybe a reliever just about to enter "The Show." Perferably both players throw HARD (95mph) and have nice easy motions. We might have to include a Deno. I'd like to intead try and give them a Votto or a Bergolla. In other words, I'd love to keep Deno. I see him a long-term solution SOMEWHERE in our outfield.

This move won't be a fix-all, but if we choose our players wisely, it could be another steady move towards continued pitching respectability.

Provide reasoning why you choose the way you do.

GridironGrace
04-29-2006, 04:18 AM
I think you gotta trade the one that gets you what you need. We need a RP who can give us some quality innings other than Coffey and "sometimes" Mercker.

If it means Larue......then it means Larue. I wouldnt like losing Valentin's Bat but, we have THREE Catchers. One can go, and as i said, which ever one it takes is the one that SHOULD go. :)

WMR
04-29-2006, 04:24 AM
All things being equal, which catcher should be traded?

I would rather keep LaRue if we can get decent returns from Valentin and another prospect. A deal for LaRue would *really* have to blow me away, because I really don't like the idea of how much more Javy would be forced to hit from his uncomfortable side...

LaRue can RAKE and I think we can make other trades to improve the pitching without concluding that LaRue is a immovable part of any catcher trade.

GridironGrace
04-29-2006, 04:28 AM
Yea if the Trade is set where All 3 Catchers are Equal and we TAKE our pick to trade then Valentin.

Larue will heat up later and do Wonderful. I feel we should move him to the #8 Spot fulltime and keep the phillips/Edwin RBI parade at #6 and #7 :)

KronoRed
04-29-2006, 04:28 AM
Valentin, I think last year was career year and before that wears off I'd trade him to a desperate team.

WMR
04-29-2006, 04:44 AM
Valentin, I think last year was career year and before that wears off I'd trade him to a desperate team.

Agreed.

And LaRue will be very very good for us again this year. We can afford him and if this team keep up like it is, he'll hafta be a valuable part of that!! ::fingers crossed!!!::

Highlifeman21
04-29-2006, 09:14 AM
I voted trade LaRue... here's why...

1. He makes the most money

2. He's the oldest

3. Ross seems to be Arroyo's personal catcher

4. I like Valentin's latin/spanish translator presence on the team for the pitching staff

SeeinRed
04-29-2006, 04:13 PM
I voted trade LaRue... here's why...

1. He makes the most money

2. He's the oldest

3. Ross seems to be Arroyo's personal catcher

4. I like Valentin's latin/spanish translator presence on the team for the pitching staff

Points taken, but with him making the most money, it might be hard to trade him. The reds would have to pick up some of the contract, and I don't think he LaRue has the most trade value anyway. For obvious reasons, I can't argue point 2, but again that makes him less valuable in a trade. Point three I think is very valid, but that also means Valentin can go too. Point 4 is a personal view. If you think they won't figure out how to fix that part of the equation, your kidding yourself. Someone will figure that out, they have too much money invested not to. Valentin to me is the most expendable. An offensive catcher is overrated, i.e. teams will most likely overpay for him after the year he had last year, and he makes back-up type money. Send him while his value is as high as it is.

Highlifeman21
04-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Points taken, but with him making the most money, it might be hard to trade him. The reds would have to pick up some of the contract, and I don't think he LaRue has the most trade value anyway. For obvious reasons, I can't argue point 2, but again that makes him less valuable in a trade. Point three I think is very valid, but that also means Valentin can go too. Point 4 is a personal view. If you think they won't figure out how to fix that part of the equation, your kidding yourself. Someone will figure that out, they have too much money invested not to. Valentin to me is the most expendable. An offensive catcher is overrated, i.e. teams will most likely overpay for him after the year he had last year, and he makes back-up type money. Send him while his value is as high as it is.

For the right return, RCast and WK just might deem that a necessary evil.

I only brought that up b/c it was mentioned by announcers in the Brewers and Nationals series.

He's also our only LHB behind the plate. Ross and LaRue are both righties, and with a cheaper contract and less years on the knees, I pick Ross over LaRue, since I think between the two of them, LaRue would have more trade value.

M2
04-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Valentin had a career year last season and now a lot of folks will look at him as an inexpensive fix to a catching problem.

I thought he should have been dealt during the offseason. I think he should be dealt today. I'd rather have the steady performance of LaRue and perhaps Ross can be this year's Valentin, the caddy who gives the club an unexpected boost.

Dunner44
04-29-2006, 11:04 PM
I like Ross a lot, actually... His 3 homers in 26ish ABs have done nothing to diminish my liking, nor has his good defensive play behind the plate and his rapport w/ Arroyo. Trade Javy if he can get you good value, I don't like him for some reason.

KronoRed
04-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Ross is a nice backup, he'll also be a cheap one.

OnBaseMachine
04-30-2006, 12:52 AM
This is slightly off topic but I didn't want to start another thread.

Javier Valentin needs to give up switch-hitting yesterday. He is a very good hitting catcher from the left side, but on the flip side he is an automatic out as a right-handed batter. I'm baffled as to why Javy continues to switch hit. He couldn't be any worse from the left side against lefties as he is from the right side against them.

Javy Valentin - Three W/Reds LH/RH splits

As RHB-.109/.146/.109
As LHB-.269/.333/.462

As RHB-.184/.354/.342
As LHB-.301/.364/.557

As RHB-.000/.000/.000(9 PA)
As LHB-.324/.359/.486

As you can see, Javy's bat from the left side is valuable. The Reds need to sit down with him and convince him to give up hitting from the right side, it's obviously not helping him or the team.

kheidg-
04-30-2006, 01:23 AM
This is slightly off topic but I didn't want to start another thread.

Javier Valentin needs to give up switch-hitting yesterday. He is a very good hitting catcher from the left side, but on the flip side he is an automatic out as a right-handed batter. I'm baffled as to why Javy continues to switch hit. He couldn't be any worse from the left side against lefties as he is from the right side against them.

Javy Valentin - Three W/Reds LH/RH splits

As RHB-.109/.146/.109
As LHB-.269/.333/.462

As RHB-.184/.354/.342
As LHB-.301/.364/.557

As RHB-.000/.000/.000(9 PA)
As LHB-.324/.359/.486

As you can see, Javy's bat from the left side is valuable. The Reds need to sit down with him and convince him to give up hitting from the right side, it's obviously not helping him or the team.

Good points. I also noticed that he seems to rake it batting from the left side, and appears clueless from the right side.