PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Attendance??? 24,873

REDSEER
04-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Gamecast on reds.com says only a little under 25000 were there. That has to be a mistake doesn't it???

KittyDuran
04-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Nope, it wasn't a sell-out... check out this thread...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45526

Red in Chicago
04-29-2006, 06:07 PM
i was wondering the same thing...i thought someone said yesterday, they were looking for tickets and it came up as a sell out?

BoCcc2832
04-29-2006, 06:11 PM
The Reds are now 17-7 (the best record in baseball), have won 6 straight and 9 of the last 10, have beaten the likes of Ben Sheets, Chris Carpenter, Roy Oswalt, Andy Pettite, and Carlos Zambrano (all arguably number one pitchers), have beaten the previous win total of 16 wins in April, and the fans show their appreciation by only having 24,873 fans show up. Come on, Reds fans!!! :angry: Our Reds have shown everyone that they do deserve respect, that they can win games without the home run, and that their pitchers can actually find the strike zone (unlike the previous six years). So what we can do is show the players our appreciation for their effort and show up to the games. I was pleased with our attendance yesterday (32,089), but I expect at least that, if not more tomorrow (especially since the game will not be on FSN tomorrow). I will be there tomorrow in right field in section 140, row F if anyone wants to shake hands and meet new Reds fan. Just scream out BK. Go Reds and let's say the same thing by showing up to the GABP.

top6
04-29-2006, 06:16 PM
25K isn't bad for April. Cincinnati is still a small market, they will not sell out every game.

PuffyPig
04-29-2006, 06:24 PM
25,000 for a Saturday afternoon game is above average for April

TeamBoone
04-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Weird. Says here it's on TV, but it doesn't show up in tomorrow's listings. Perhaps it was a late change?

Sunday: Reds vs. Houston Astros, 1:15 p.m., Great American Ball Park

TV: FSN

Radio: WLW-AM (700)

Who's on the mound: RH Elizardo Ramirez (1-0, 2.57) vs. RH Taylor Buckholz (1-1, 1.80)

SirFelixCat
04-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Weird. Says here it's on TV, but it doesn't show up in tomorrow's listings. Perhaps it was a late change?

One advantage to living in Houston's local market...on the local Fox Sports here:beerme:

RBA
04-29-2006, 06:35 PM

My Directv guide does not show a game on FSN OHIO or FSN Cincinnati, however it is on Fox Sports Soutwest and Fox Sports Houston (my local networks) Usually my tivo guide is pretty accurate.

pedro
04-29-2006, 06:41 PM
apparently it was a sell out though. that seesm like an awful lot of no shows.

Caveman Techie
04-29-2006, 06:43 PM

George and Chris were saying that FSN Ohio did pick up some more games, and that there would be an announcement soon. Maybe tomorrow is one of the new games they picked up.

TeamBoone
04-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Now that I think of it, didn't George say that they would have more information tomorrow during the game? Or am I making up the "during the game" part.

Well, I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Hopefully, it's on.

redsrule2500
04-29-2006, 06:51 PM
George and Chris were saying that FSN Ohio did pick up some more games, and that there would be an announcement soon. Maybe tomorrow is one of the new games they picked up.

Link?? That would be awesome!

TeamBoone
04-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Link?? That would be awesome!

There is no link. They said it during today's game telecast.

TOBTTReds
04-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Sorry I didn't go today, I love the NFL draft. Be there on Tuesday!

***Today was not a sellout, it was discussed in an earlier thread. They don't sell tickets online to games that day, or even some the next day.

BoCcc2832
04-29-2006, 07:04 PM
25,000 for a Saturday afternoon game is above average for April

It's not above average for a team doing as well as the Reds. And I don't care if Cincinnati is a small market team (wrong, because they are a average-market team), that has nothing to do with fans. You guys are killing me :bang: If St. Louis was on top of the MLB world right now (which they are really close), every game would be sold out. Come on, Cincinnati. Represent! :beerme:

creek14
04-29-2006, 07:09 PM
It's not average for a team doing as well as the Reds. And I don't care if Cincinnati is a small market team (wrong, because they are a average-market team), that has nothing to do with fans. You guys are killing me :bang: If St. Louis was on top of the MLB world right now (which they are really close), every game would be sold out. Come on, Cincinnati. Represent! :beerme:
So you go to all 81 home games?

MattyHo4Life
04-29-2006, 07:10 PM
If St. Louis was on top of the MLB world right now (which they are really close), every game would be sold out. Come on, Cincinnati. Represent! :beerme:

St. Louis has already sold out every game for the entire season, but the new stadium has a lot to do with that. I'm curious though. Does anyone remember how Reds games were attended when GAB first opened? How many sell outs there were?

M2
04-29-2006, 07:11 PM
So the Red Sox have a bigger waiting list than the Reds have fans at the park?

Hopefully this serves as a call to action to the front office that it's time to start selling these players and not just the uniform they play in.

flyer85
04-29-2006, 07:16 PM
I was there, great game. The Reds slowly wore down Pettitte. Pretty exciting beating the Stros two best pitchers in the last 24 hours.

BuckeyeRed27
04-29-2006, 07:26 PM
There would have been over 30,000 if the game would have been played tonight. Saturday afternoon games are tough for a lot of familes to go to. People have kids playing in their own baseball or soccer games.

BoCcc2832
04-29-2006, 07:31 PM
So you go to all 81 home games?

No, I don't go to all 81 games, but that's not the point. The point is that we need to have an overall attendance greater than what it is right now to show our appreciation for the effort given so far. Oh, and by the way, Tuesday will be my third game this season, while being a poor college student. I'm sorry I'm not rich enough to have season tickets...yet

MartyFan
04-29-2006, 07:34 PM
I love what the Reds are doing but the crowds are not going to come back overnight...the average fan thinks okay, the team is doing okay now but they were okay the first few weeks of last year too...this team has been bad for so long the average to nominal fan is not going to come back until the team shows they are going to be in the thinck of the hunt for a while.

By the way...stop listening to Tracey Jones so much...it can make your head hurt! :D

The Reds are now 17-7 (the best record in baseball), have won 6 straight and 9 of the last 10, have beaten the likes of Ben Sheets, Chris Carpenter, Roy Oswalt, Andy Pettite, and Carlos Zambrano (all arguably number one pitchers), have beaten the previous win total of 16 wins in April, and the fans show their appreciation by only having 24,873 fans show up. Come on, Reds fans!!! :angry: Our Reds have shown everyone that they do deserve respect, that they can win games without the home run, and that their pitchers can actually find the strike zone (unlike the previous six years). So what we can do is show the players our appreciation for their effort and show up to the games. I was pleased with our attendance yesterday (32,089), but I expect at least that, if not more tomorrow (especially since the game will not be on FSN tomorrow). I will be there tomorrow in right field in section 140, row F if anyone wants to shake hands and meet new Reds fan. Just scream out BK. Go Reds and let's say the same thing by showing up to the GABP.

DaytonDieHard
04-29-2006, 07:35 PM
I'd like to see it full as much as anybody ,but we dont want it to be a hard ticket to get, so about 5/6 full would be nice

creek14
04-29-2006, 07:40 PM
No, I don't go to all 81 games, but that's not the point. The point is that we need to have an overall attendance greater than what it is right now to show our appreciation for the effort given so far. Oh, and by the way, Tuesday will be my third game this season, while being a poor college student. I'm sorry I'm not rich enough to have season tickets...yet
No the point is, just like you, people have reasons they can't go to games. I would have loved to be at the game today, but I had to work.

Calling people out isn't the best thing to do unless you can back it up.

And Tuesday will be my sixth game this season.

westofyou
04-29-2006, 07:40 PM
The bandwagon has to go around town a few times for the fans to get on, 3 weeks is hardly a season and 25 K is not bad for the Reds in April.

MattyHo4Life
04-29-2006, 07:41 PM
I love what the Reds are doing but the crowds are not going to come back overnight...the average fan thinks okay, the team is doing okay now but they were okay the first few weeks of last year too...this team has been bad for so long the average to nominal fan is not going to come back until the team shows they are going to be in the thick of the hunt for a while.

I think you have it exactly right. The crowds will return, it will just take time. The team is for real this year.

Tommyjohn25
04-29-2006, 07:49 PM
I don't think it's that big of a deal, the draft was on today. People live and die by the mighty NFL draft on this day, baseball resumes tomorrow.

Tommyjohn25
04-29-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't think it's that big of a deal, the draft was on today. People live and die by the mighty NFL draft on this day, baseball resumes tomorrow.

Btw, sorry to quote myself. But I had to work today, no way does the draft replace baseball to me. Just making a point.

top6
04-29-2006, 08:02 PM
I gave up caring about Reds attendance during 1999 - when we were awesome and drawing something like 15-20K a night. It's not like the Reds are ever leaving Cincinnati, so I'm not sure why it matters anyway. If the Reds are good for long enough, they will draw better.

Reds Nd2
04-29-2006, 08:05 PM
The bandwagon has to go around town a few times for the fans to get on

http://www.musiccityraceway.com/Images%2005/Holder%2005%20Race%20Images/Real%20Red%20Wagon.jpg

top6
04-29-2006, 08:07 PM
And I don't care if Cincinnati is a small market team (wrong, because they are a average-market team), that has nothing to do with fans. You couldn't be more wrong. We are the third smallest market in baseball - only Kansas City and Milwaukee are smaller. And obviously that has everything to do with fans - people who live outside of the market are less likely to attend games.

westofyou
04-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Game Played on Thursday, August 5, 1999 (D) at Cinergy Field
Attendance: 24, 318
Vs COL N L 1- 2

62-44

Game Played on Thursday, September 16, 1999 (N) at Cinergy Field
Attendance: 23,176
Vs CHI N L 6- 7

87-60

kxblue
04-29-2006, 08:20 PM
This team has been awful forever, the weather wasn't great (it looked like rain all day), and it's April.

If the Reds keep on winning, the fans will show up. But one month is not going to change 5 bad years of baseball.

Please, can we stop comparing Cincinnati to St. Louis. St. Louis has been great the last 2 years, obviously they are going to sell tickets.

westofyou
04-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Please, can we stop comparing Cincinnati to St. Louis. St. Louis has been great the last 2 years,

More like 2 Decades.

donnelly_31
04-29-2006, 08:51 PM
The Reds are definitely an average market team if you consider the number of people within a 2 hour drive. Dayton, Indy, Louisville, Lexington, and my town - Columbus. That is a bigger market than St. Louis. This is what at one time was completely Reds Country and will be again after a couple more winning seasons. Hell Columbus is the biggest bandwagon city I've ever seen (Cleveland, Pittsburgh, or Cincinnati teams whiichever one is winning at the time).

OSUredsFAN
04-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Its because Cincinnati is not a baseball town as every says it is. I would like to think that it is, but is isn't. After OD, cincy is just a average baseball town. The Nati is now a football town along with college hoops. I came up the conclusion during the 90's when the Bengals would draw 40,000 people on average during the dark days of the Shula Era.

George Foster
04-29-2006, 10:17 PM
I was there, great game. The Reds slowly wore down Pettitte. Pretty exciting beating the Stros two best pitchers in the last 24 hours.

Exactly....Sat day games are a bad idea. Little League in my town started practices a week ago.

RBA
04-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Its because Cincinnati is not a baseball town as every says it is. I would like to think that it is, but is isn't. After OD, cincy is just a average baseball town. The Nati is now a football town along with college hoops. I came up the conclusion during the 90's when the Bengals would draw 40,000 people on average during the dark days of the Shula Era.

And the Bengals were playing 81 home games? :help:

indyred
04-29-2006, 10:24 PM
I love the afternoon tilts.......all excuses are good excuses, but none are accepted.......it was nice cool day, sun shinning....battle for first place.....nice pitching match up.....good day to be at the park......wonder if a good give-away item would have helped pack them in......does the Dunn figurine game the 13th sell out if the Reds are still hot.......it will be a Saturday night.....

bellhead
04-29-2006, 10:28 PM
April is a bad month for families, myself I had a soccer game today, then my daughter had one after me. Her leauge ends in late may so our leauges end in late may so our saturday´s are shot in the morning. Night games are different. During the week I work 2-10. I wish I was a college student, who didn't have to work and then I could be going to my third game this week! Come June, July, and August I'll make about 8-10 weekend games this year.

bucknutdet
04-29-2006, 10:34 PM
If you live close enough to go to the game & didn't, than one shouldn't complain about the attendance for that particular day.

fisch11
04-29-2006, 11:03 PM
I was at the game today and I was shocked at the turnout. Usually Friday nights don't fare as well as Sat. games, and Fri's turnout was a shock. I was expecting to see at least that today, especially with about 10,000 walking up last night. Might have been because it was an afternoon game, a night game might have been the same turnout as Fri.

Team Clark
04-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Biggest Prom Day of the year.

bengalred
04-30-2006, 12:55 AM
One word. DRAFT.

westofyou
04-30-2006, 01:07 AM
Game Played on Saturday, April 28, 1990 (D) at Riverfront Stadium

Attendance: 21,775

Wheelhouse
04-30-2006, 01:26 AM
I've gone to 3 games at GABP and I live in NY.

RBA
04-30-2006, 02:45 AM
It's a combonation of things:

1. It's Prom Night, people getting ready
2. It's April, still early
3. The Reds ticketing online. Stopping online sales online for day of game is just assinine
4. It's Draft Day--Believe it or not this farce is poplular (My Raiders did well in my opinion. ;) )
5. Poor martketing by the Reds. They need to promote the players.
6. People are busy on Saturday afternoon, kids game, etc.
etc.

SteelSD
04-30-2006, 03:05 AM
It's a combonation of things:

1. It's Prom Night, people getting ready
2. It's April, still early
3. The Reds ticketing online. Stopping online sales online for day of game is just assinine
4. It's Draft Day--Believe it or not this farce is poplular (My Raiders did well in my opinion. ;) )
5. Poor martketing by the Reds. They need to promote the players.
6. People are busy on Saturday afternoon, kids game, etc.
etc.

1. The Reds didn't win anything last year.

KronoRed
04-30-2006, 04:20 AM
1. The Reds didn't win anything last year.
or the year before that.

GAC
04-30-2006, 07:52 AM
First off - I'd garner to say that a majority of the people on this forum aren't situated in the Cincy area where going to very many games is feasible.

So why go off on them? ;)

Secondly, and as some have already stated on here.... kids are in school, and there are various school functions and activities that consume familie's spare time right now.

What is the average attendance/game around MLB in April as a comparison?

Newman4
04-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Yeah, what ever became of the ticketing problem some people mentioned earlier this week with tickets.com? IMO, tickets.com sucks anyway. I wish the Reds would sell their own tickets exclusively similar to the way some colleges do. All those BS fees. Convenience, Order Processing, etc.

TeamBoone
04-30-2006, 11:54 AM
I wrote them about the online ticket thing and am waiting to hear back.

Jpup
04-30-2006, 12:01 PM
St. Louis has already sold out every game for the entire season, but the new stadium has a lot to do with that. I'm curious though. Does anyone remember how Reds games were attended when GAB first opened? How many sell outs there were?

I know that the 3 Yankees games sold out and all of the opening days, I can't recall any others, but I'm not sure.

indyred
04-30-2006, 10:49 PM
So the crowd was even worse today..did I read wrong.....only 22k and change today?

westofyou
04-30-2006, 11:14 PM
So the crowd was even worse today..did I read wrong.....only 22k and change today?
Well you know, the second day of the NFL draft and.....

huber14
04-30-2006, 11:20 PM
yeah it was sad, i bet alot of people were scared of the rain, it was wierd though as soon as the game was over it started to rain.

REDREAD
05-01-2006, 01:36 PM
apparently it was a sell out though. that seesm like an awful lot of no shows.

I think they changed the counting procedure, and now it's based on tickets sold, not the turnstile count.

registerthis
05-01-2006, 02:41 PM
I can buy the argument that fans of this team have been so put off by the abysmal teams of the last several years that they're loathe to jump on the bandwagon too quickly. That's a likely scenario.

But these other excuses? Baloney. If people want to make time to go to a baseball game, they will, kids soccer games and homework assignments be damned. I don't hear other teams making the same excuses, and they shouldn't fly in Cinci either.

KittyDuran
05-01-2006, 02:49 PM
yeah it was sad, i bet alot of people were scared of the rain, it was wierd though as soon as the game was over it started to rain.I came prepared and brought my poncho - but poor Chip... hope he didn't melt! :eek:

M2
05-01-2006, 02:49 PM
I can buy the argument that fans of this team have been so put off by the abysmal teams of the last several years that they're loathe to jump on the bandwagon too quickly. That's a likely scenario.

But these other excuses? Baloney. If people want to make time to go to a baseball game, they will, kids soccer games and homework assignments be damned. I don't hear other teams making the same excuses, and they shouldn't fly in Cinci either.

Agreed. Plus, as a parent, the ONLY games I take my kids to at this time of year are weekend day games. Night games run too late, they're too cold for the kids and the fans drink a lot less during day games

KittyDuran
05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Agreed. Plus, as a parent, the ONLY games I take my kids to at this time of year are weekend day games. Night games run too late, they're too cold for the kids and the fans drink a lot less during day gamesWhen I was young we (as a family) only went if it was one of the following... My b-day (May 25th) or free tickets. And my b-day had to be a weekend and my Dad had to have the day off (he was a cop who sometimes had to work weekends). My Mom didn't like to drive in DT Cincinnati. After my b-day the games were pretty much were June, July and August. Can't remember going to any games in September or October - and during the '75 and '76 playoffs and WS I was in boarding school in SE KY.

RBA
05-01-2006, 04:10 PM
I just want to say it again. IMO, it's complete stupidity that the Reds don't sell tickets online for the day of game. And if you try, the website doesn't tell you to call a number or go to the stadium box offices to get tickets. It tells you to pick a future game to buy tickets for. Complete incompetence by tickets.com and the Reds.

KronoRed
05-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I bet the Reds could make money selling tickets for games that have already been played, people do silly things

;)