PDA

View Full Version : Phillips at leadoff??

UGADaddy
04-30-2006, 09:38 PM
I've posed the question a few times on different threads and haven't gotten anything back. Phillips is tearing it up right now, so when Griffey gets back, Freel has no place to go--leaving the top of the order empty. Phillips has decent speed, but before the last couple of days hasn't shown the patience at the plate require for the leadoff role. He's had four walks recently, including three in today's loss to the Astros.

A lot of people said BP was getting a lot of good pitches to hit being new and low in the order, but now that teams are being more cautious with him, he seems to be more selective. Does anyone see him legitimately hitting in that spot? What happens to the order when Griffey gets back?

KronoRed
04-30-2006, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't put him there, no one else really fits the bill, but I don't want to put too much pressure on Phillips right now, Lopez leadoff if Freel is not playing.

captainmorgan07
04-30-2006, 09:43 PM
i agree lopez to leadoff if no freel in the lineup

Highlifeman21
05-01-2006, 10:11 PM
I've posed the question a few times on different threads and haven't gotten anything back. Phillips is tearing it up right now, so when Griffey gets back, Freel has no place to go--leaving the top of the order empty. Phillips has decent speed, but before the last couple of days hasn't shown the patience at the plate require for the leadoff role. He's had four walks recently, including three in today's loss to the Astros.

A lot of people said BP was getting a lot of good pitches to hit being new and low in the order, but now that teams are being more cautious with him, he seems to be more selective. Does anyone see him legitimately hitting in that spot? What happens to the order when Griffey gets back?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

When Griffey comes back, we'll probably see Lopez lead off, and Freel realistically will be the odd man out.

Matt700wlw
05-01-2006, 10:12 PM

When Griffey comes back, we'll probably see Lopez lead off, and Freel realistically will be the odd man out.

I'm a Griffey fan....but honestly, he can take his time on returning...

UPRedsFan
05-01-2006, 10:20 PM
I agree unless Dunn moves to 1B of course.

Freel
Lopez
Griffey
Dunn
Kearns
Encarnacion
Phillips
Larue/Valentin

SCARY!

Mitri
05-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Phillips should stay at 7 no matter what. He's the perfect man for that spot in this lineup. Move EdE to 2 and Lopez to 1 when Freel is out.

Shaknb8k
05-01-2006, 10:41 PM

It has been a while since we have been able to say that.

UGADaddy
05-02-2006, 01:42 PM

Completely agree. I like the way the lineup looks now. And I don't know about Dunn moving to 1B. It does improve our OF defensively (although how about that catch to end the game last night??), but I love getting Hatteberg and, more importantly, Aurilla in the lineup regularly. Narron seems to be getting everyone just enough ABs to keep them happy and in a decent groove. I'm afraid that when Griff gets back, the ABs, and thus the happiness and groove, of the guys who are doing well now will go way down.

Benny-Distefano
05-02-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm afraid that when Griff gets back, the ABs, and thus the happiness and groove, of the guys who are doing well now will go way down.

Ditto.

I hope Griffey comes back on a rampage...but I suspect that will not be the case.

kheidg-
05-02-2006, 10:14 PM
And I don't know about Dunn moving to 1B. It does improve our OF defensively (although how about that catch to end the game last night??), but I love getting Hatteberg and, more importantly, Aurilla in the lineup regularly.

You mean the catch that almost any other OF would have made easily? All kidding aside, I don't see Dunn playing all too much first this year unless Hatteberg or Aurilia is traded/injured.