PDA

View Full Version : RHP, LHP or Both?

Mario-Rijo
05-01-2006, 02:49 PM
From Lancasters Blog via the Indy Star 4-29-06.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060429/SPORTS/604290476/1004/SPORTS

RHP? LHP? He is both
Associated Press

OMAHA, Neb. -- Pat Venditte Sr. came up with the idea when he was tossing a ball to his 3-year-old son.

Wouldn't it be neat if he could get Pat Jr., a natural right-hander, to throw equally well with his left? Now "Little Pat," as his dad calls him, is the only active switch pitcher in NCAA Division I baseball and one of the few ambidextrous pitchers in the history of the sport. The sophomore is a middle reliever for Creighton and is equally good with both arms. Venditte's ERA is 2.36 as a righty and 2.92 as a lefty. He retired all six batters he faced in two innings against Kansas on Wednesday -- three as a righty, three as a lefty. He had a strikeout with each arm.

The rules require Venditte to declare which way he's going to pitch before each batter steps into the box. If a switch hitter is due up, pitching coach Travis Wyckoff signals to Venditte which arm to use based on the scouting report.

Neat possibilities with this kid. Where does he keep his extra glove?

dsmith421
05-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Neat possibilities with this kid. Where does he keep his extra glove?

I'm going to guess he has a special six fingered glove that can be worn on either hand. I remember reading about an ambidextrous pitcher in the early 1900s who had a special glove like that made up.

I am not sure, but I suspect it would be illegal to have a second glove stashed on the mound.

Joseph
05-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Greg W Harris did this about a decade ago against the Reds. At least I think that was his name. If he can pitch, thats all that really matters.

westofyou
05-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Neat possibilities with this kid. Where does he keep his extra glove?$700 glove from Japan, new one every few years, Harris did it in 86 and Tony Mullane did it back in the 1880's and didn't wear a glove.

vaticanplum
05-01-2006, 03:38 PM
That kind of freaks me out.

westofyou
05-01-2006, 03:40 PM
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/apr/29/creighton_hurler_wellarmed_righthander_and_lefty/?sports

Venditte wears an ambidextrous glove that has two thumb holes and four finger holes. His father has been ordering the tailor-made gloves, at almost $700 each, from the Mizuno factory in Osaka, Japan, since his son was 7.

The rules require Venditte to declare which way he’s going to pitch before each batter steps into the box. If a switch hitter is due up, pitching coach Travis Wyckoff will signal to Venditte which arm to use based on the scouting report.

Venditte’s two-armed routine has drawn plenty of double-takes from opponents and fans. Senior reliever Scott Reese said he thought Venditte was a freak when he first saw him work. The novelty has since worn off.

redsmetz
05-01-2006, 04:51 PM
I've often wondered why more pitchers don't do this. When I was a teenager, the kid behind us blew his right arm out throwing constantly. For a couple of years he worked throwing left-handed so he could keep playing ball.

smith288
05-01-2006, 04:58 PM
I thought there was a MLB rule somewhere saying you had to pitch from one side exclusively per game. I could be smoking whatever they serve at the Dayton Daily News though so who knows.

TC81190
05-01-2006, 05:01 PM
I could be smoking whatever they serve at the Dayton Daily News though so who knows.

Yep. You can switch before each AB.

Also, I want this kid. Bad.

DropDocK
05-01-2006, 05:02 PM
I experimented with something similar when I played basketball. Developed a shot, not just a layup, with either hand. I'd be skeptical of a pitcher doing it but since the kid got such a huge jump on it, at such a young age, and it seems to work well for either pitch, go for it. That is a lot harder to do.

Caveat Emperor
05-01-2006, 05:07 PM

Seriously -- though, knowing the Reds track record, he'd manage tear both labrums at the exact same time.

westofyou
05-01-2006, 05:09 PM

The kid has no stuff, a middle reliever at a small college, he's full charm can do no harm.

chicoruiz
05-01-2006, 05:11 PM
I seem to recall through the mists of my memory that the Reds made a deal with the Angels sometime in the 1960s in which they acquired pitcher Bill Kelso and also a guy named Jorge Rubio who was supposed to be able to pitch with either hand. Rubio never made the Show, so we never got to see his act.

At least that's how I remember it. Anyone have any info on this?

redsfanmia
05-01-2006, 06:22 PM
I play baseball with a guy who pitches righthanded and then will play outfield lefthanded. He throws harder lefthanded than most of us throw with our main hand. It really freaked me out at first but he is the best player I have ever played with by far.

BrooklynRedz
05-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Didn't the Reds have a pitcher recently from Mexico who once was a lefty, got injured and became a righty. His parents didn't realize he'd changed until they arrived to watch him pitch....am I completely making this up? I thought it was Reyes.

KronoRed
05-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Seriously -- though, knowing the Reds track record, he'd manage tear both labrums at the exact same time.
Would me a medical first.

Reds should go for it.

Sea Ray
05-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Isn't Billy Wagner naturally right handed? I seem to recall that he injured his right arm somehow as a kid and was forced to learn to throw left handed

NastyBoy
05-01-2006, 07:10 PM
It appears Greg Harris ussually wore an ambidextrous glove... just to piss of the Red Sox GM. Interesting, that once played for the Reds and the only time he pitched from both sides was just before his retirement against the Reds.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/H/Harris_Greg.stm

TC81190
05-01-2006, 07:27 PM
The kid has no stuff, a middle reliever at a small college, he's full charm can do no harm.

Even better, we can get him on the low. :evil:

vaticanplum
05-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Let's get this kid instead:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/02/nyregion/02pitch.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Spitball
05-02-2006, 05:12 PM
I seem to recall through the mists of my memory that the Reds made a deal with the Angels sometime in the 1960s in which they acquired pitcher Bill Kelso and also a guy named Jorge Rubio who was supposed to be able to pitch with either hand. Rubio never made the Show, so we never got to see his act.

At least that's how I remember it. Anyone have any info on this?

Rubio did pitch some for the angels before coming to the Reds with Bill Kelso for Sammy Ellis. Though he never pitched with both arms in the majors, he had the capability.

Shortstop Bert Campanaris could throw with either hand.

Many believe a batter can't switch sides of the plate during an at bat, but there is no such rule. A batter can switch sides after each pitch if he desires. Why would they restrict a pitcher from switching sides? Actually, due to the rarity of this skill, I doubt there is even a rule covering it.