PDA

View Full Version : Is Austin Kearns about to have a breakthrough season?

dman
05-01-2006, 04:05 PM
I got looking at the stat page on ESPN and was looking that AK's stats through April were fairly impressive at .290/5/18/.362/.527 respectively. I was also looking at the highlight footage of some of his taters this year and was particularly intrigued at how he has turned on a couple of those pitches and went to the opposite field. Could this be the year that he lives up to his expectations? I normally would get agitated at Krusty for all of his "Trade Junior" threads, but for once I am going to side with him on this only with the exception that instead of bringing up Denorfia, I think we should find an everday spot for Freel. I used to be one to think that the first opportunity we had, we should trade Kearns, but I have a gut feeling that he may be about to have his breakthrough season and prove to us that all the hype about him was justified.

kbrake
05-01-2006, 04:08 PM
It all depends on what a trade would bring. I would be willing to trade just about everyone other then Dunn and EE. This team needs more pitching, lots more. Your going to have to part with some talent Freel/Kearns types if you want any valuable pitching in return.

Blimpie
05-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Austin had a bit of a rough week, but I think he is continuing to see pitches better every game. More than any player I have seen, Austin's overall personal happiness is strongly correlated with his performance on the field. His demeanor at any given time is maybe as important as his physical health status.

Austin is happy now, I expect nothing but strong performances this season.

chitownwolf
05-01-2006, 04:14 PM
he has to come around sooner or later. all he shows is promise. i woudl ahte to see hm turn into a brandon larson and just collapse

Blimpie
05-01-2006, 04:25 PM
he has to come around sooner or later. all he shows is promise. i woudl ahte to see hm turn into a brandon larson and just collapseThat is one honey of a first post.....welcome to RedsZone

Joseph
05-01-2006, 04:35 PM
AK is my Reds choice for the player I expect to have a big year, so I'm not at all surprised he's proving me right, being the prognosticator [is that a dirty word?] that I am.

Fullboat
05-01-2006, 04:57 PM
AK still has one of the worst swings I have ever seen,every time he swings I'm afraid
he will pull something.

registerthis
05-01-2006, 04:57 PM
That is one honey of a first post.....welcome to RedsZone

I'm venturing it's the only time he'll use "Brandon Larson" and "Austin Kearns" in the same sentence.

red-in-la
05-01-2006, 04:58 PM
I tend to disagree and am losing some serious faith in AK. Since his home plate run-in with that fat pitcher, Kearns has developed a long, upper-cut, looping swing......and to me has become a slider hitter.

I have seen pitcher after pitcher simply blow the ball by Austin.

It is a shame that it is legal to sit on players just the same as it is a shame that it is legal to try to tear a Quaterback's leg off after he has throw a pass......but a shame is a shame and too bad....move on.

I would trade Kearnsy now as soon as possible before what I am saying is said on ESPN.....and Kearns' value drops through the floor.

edabbs44
05-01-2006, 05:40 PM
I tend to disagree and am losing some serious faith in AK. Since his home plate run-in with that fat pitcher, Kearns has developed a long, upper-cut, looping swing......and to me has become a slider hitter.

It is a shame that it is legal to sit on players just the same as it is a shame that it is legal to try to tear a Quaterback's leg off after he has throw a pass......but a shame is a shame and too bad....move on.

I would trade Kearnsy now as soon as possible before what I am saying is said on ESPN.....and Kearns' value drops through the floor.

No problem with that. Kriv should be calling his old friends in Minny to see what it would take for a Baker and reliever deal. I have no prob with Denof getting the call and spelling the OFs when necessary.

penantboundreds
05-01-2006, 05:41 PM
kearns has an ugly swing?

im sorry i dont see it, when he is going the other way and swinging at pitches he should swing at, i think he has a very pretty swing....he is very smooth yet he swings to hit something....i think people can learn from him

he may be off balance a little or whatever but he is quick to the ball and seems to really see the ball of the pitchers hand....hitting a baseball doesnt have to look pretty, it has to be consistent and his swings are consistent. a guy with a good swing duplicates his swing every time....not trying to do more than he can with an outside pitch or a pitch low and away. i think austin kearns is a very well educated baseball player who knows how to hit a baseball

Patrick Bateman
05-01-2006, 05:46 PM
he has to come around sooner or later. all he shows is promise. i woudl ahte to see hm turn into a brandon larson and just collapse

Larson never did anything in the majors for any span of time. He had a good 51 AB span in 2002 that provided hope with a .911 OPS.

Kearns has been a fairly productive player throughout his career even when he's faltered. He may not reach his potential, but he wont follow Larson down the gudder.

wheels
05-01-2006, 05:49 PM

How do you explain the numbers he's put up thus far?

Blimpie
05-02-2006, 08:53 AM

It is a shame that it is legal to sit on players just the same as it is a shame that it is legal to try to tear a Quaterback's leg off after he has throw a pass......but a shame is a shame and too bad....move on.To be honest, Austin had that same type of swing prior to ever having been flattened by Fat Ray King. He will be fine.

BuckU
05-02-2006, 09:03 AM
I have never seen anybody look so locked-in one at bat and so clueless on the next at bat as Kearns.

oneupper
05-02-2006, 09:46 AM

I agree with you red-in-la, although AK will surprise me with some good ABs.
He is not a bad player, but he is not a superstar (and probably won't be).

He and LaRue and the players I LEAST like to see at the plate when the pitcher needs a strikeout (say 2nd and 3rd one out, for instance), since he tends to comply.

The time is ideal to move him: he's healthy, producing, still in arb years and we have an immediate and equivalent (IMO) replacement (Denorfia).

It's just a matter of what you can get for him.