PDA

View Full Version : Petey Rose (Jr.) to serve time

Cant Touch This
05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Per AP wire:

Petey to the clink (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsJssGs6GzNiCLJZ8jH7W04RvLYF?slug=ap-rosejr-drugcharges&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Sigh...

top6
05-01-2006, 07:02 PM
well, 1 month isn't so bad. hopefully he can serve his month + home detention and move on with his life.

the rose family saga is too sad for me even to think about.

Sea Ray
05-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Did Petey finally give up playing baseball?

Chip R
05-03-2006, 08:56 AM

He's gonna have to for a little bit. ;) I saw him on the news the other night and he said baseball is his life and I'm guessing once he is free, he will try to hook on somewhere.

max venable
05-03-2006, 09:40 AM
I kinda grew up playing ball with Petey. We were on rival knothole teams as kids, BTW, my team always beat his team for the championship.

I used to work out with him in the offseason at a place with indoor cages called "The Ballgame." I remember him wanting to be a pitcher...and I was always a catcher...and a good-sized one, so Petey always wanted to throw to me in the indoor cages.

One day Big Pete showed up to work with Jr. on his pitching. It was me and two Pete Roses in the cage that day. Can you imagine?

Petey was always a decent player growing up...definately not a superstar. In fact, I thought I was a better all-around player than he was at that stage (grades 5-8). He was a bit cocky, as you might imagine (if he worked the pitcher for a walk, not only would he sprint to first base like his dad, but he would clap his hands vigorously while looking at the pitcher all the way to first).

His team always had the best stuff...bags with names and numbers on them, cool jackets, etc. And his mom brought him to our games in her Rolls Royce. Big Pete usually wasn't at the games...but it was pretty cool having that experience...especially since my team ALWAYS beat out his team for the championship.

Despite Jr. being a bit cocky and just an okay player...nobody really hated him IIRC. He's was pretty cool.

Sorry to see him go to jail. He didn't have much of a role model for a father, though, did he?

Heath
05-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Well, at least he was a Red for a those few games in 1997 where he got the hometown crowd to cheer him on and got the "Rose 14" jersey.

Petey's a sad case - He reminds me of guys who still play softball 6 nights a week and every weekend and leave their families and friends to the side all for one more shot at glory.

I'm sure someone will give him some type of shot somewhere in baseball. Hopefully, he's concerned about his future as well.

37red
05-03-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm sorry, but where does this bunch of pity for poor little 36 year old Pete come from. I mean.... wow. The kid had such a rough upbringing, I'm sure the Rolls had something to do with all of his problems, that would have warped me too. Lucky for me I had that old 61 chevy to keep me on track. Please, don't take this too seriously, I don't intend to make this into a complicated thread.

KronoRed
05-03-2006, 03:32 PM
I think he's about to run out of leagues.

Chip R
05-03-2006, 03:39 PM
I think he's about to run out of leagues.

There's always the California Penal. Cleveland got a pretty good closer from there, IIRC. ;)

gonelong
05-04-2006, 12:31 PM
I wonder if he will ask the Warden for his Dad's old number - 10420014?

GL

/heard it on the radio this morning.