PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chicks

WVRed
05-01-2006, 09:09 PM
This was brought up in one of the country music threads, but I thought it deserved its own thread.

The Dixie Chicks are back in the spotlight with their new song, "Not Ready to Make Nice". Here is the lyrics.

Forgive, sounds good
Forget, Iím not sure I could
They say time heals everything
But Iím still waiting

Iím through with doubt
Thereís nothing left for me to figure out
Iíve paid a price
And Iíll keep paying

Iím not ready to make nice
Iím not ready to back down
Iím still mad as hell and
I donít have time to go round and round and round
Itís too late to make it right
I probably wouldnít if I could
ĎCause Iím mad as hell
Canít bring myself to do what it is you think I should

I know you said
Canít you just get over it
It turned my whole world around
And I kind of like it

I made my bed and I sleep like a baby
With no regrets and I donít mind sayiní
Itís a sad sad story when a mother will teach her
Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
And how in the world can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That theyíd write me a letter
Sayiní that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over

ĎCause Iím mad as hell

ĎCause Iím mad as hell

Forgive, sounds good
Forget, Iím not sure I could
They say time heals everything
But Iím still waiting

Does anyone plan on buying the album and are there still any fans left?;)

RBA
05-01-2006, 09:12 PM
This was brought up in one of the country music threads, but I thought it deserved its own thread.

The Dixie Chicks are back in the spotlight with their new song, "Not Ready to Make Nice". Here is the lyrics.

Does anyone plan on buying the album and are there still any fans left?;)

Why don't they have fans? They sold out their last concert series.

WVRed
05-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Why don't they have fans? They sold out their last concert series.

How many boycotts did they have?;)

pedro
05-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Let's talk about this in the peanut gallery.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

westofyou
05-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Yawn

WVRed
05-02-2006, 10:51 AM
For the record, I actually do like the new song. I enjoyed a lot of their old songs as well, and am planning on buying the new album.

But lets not make this a p-thread.

IslandRed
05-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Sticking to music...

From what I've read here, the single's not getting much airplay, but the followup singles are supposed to be good and all the major country radio programmers are intending to return to business as usual. Reading between the lines, the group is OK with that; while many advised them to just let it be, they wanted to make their statement, didn't much care if it got played on the radio, and now everyone's ready to move on.

minus5
05-03-2006, 05:43 PM
February 2006 The Dixie Chicks were nominated for 2 Grammy Awards for Best Country Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group and Best Country Song (awarded to the songwriters with Keb Mo') ("I Hope").

April 2006 The single "Landslide" was certified gold.

Evidently someone still likes them.

creek14
05-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Holly Family Not Happy With Chicks' Song
LUBBOCK, Texas — A reference to Buddy Holly on an upcoming Dixie Chicks album isn't setting right with brothers of the 1950s music legend.

In "Lubbock or Leave It," Natalie Maines, a native of this West Texas city, sings: "I hear they hate me now/Just like they hated you./Maybe when I'm dead and gone/I'm gonna get a statue, too."

Holly, whose statue is in downtown Lubbock, was born here and died in a plane crash along with singers Ritchie Valens and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson in Iowa in 1959.

Holly's older brother, Larry O. Holley, said he doesn't know of anyone in Lubbock who hated his sibling.

"Older people in town thought rock 'n' roll was for kids," Holley said. "But no one hated Buddy."

The song is on the fourth Dixie Chicks album, a May 23 national release titled "Taking the Long Way." The songwriting credit lists all three Chicks — Emily Robison, Martie Maguire and Maines — and Mike Campbell.

Another brother, Travis Holley, said his brother was proud of Lubbock.

"He was loyal to his hometown, his church and his family," he said. "And I never knew of anyone who hated Buddy."

Maines, born and raised in Lubbock, seemed to be embraced by all until March 2003 when she told a concert audience in London the group was "ashamed" President Bush was from Texas. A free-speech debate ensued and radio stations across the country stopped playing the Chicks' music. Some still don't; only one in Lubbock does.

Kathy Best of Front Page Publicity, which handles Chicks' interview requests, said that Maines won't be available anytime soon for interviews.

On the Chicks Web site Maines writes that the song "is not just about Lubbock, but about any small, hypocritical town."

westofyou
05-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Billy Joe Shaver said he was afraid they'd hang him in Lubbock, but he wasn't worried, cause they couldn't find a tree.

RedsBaron
05-03-2006, 08:53 PM
I think Maines has a martyr's complex. The whole thing bores me.

naynay
05-03-2006, 09:00 PM
To quote one of Larry the Cable Guy's more intelligent remarks, "Natalie....honey. You're a COUNTRY singer. You got a PATRIOTIC fan base." They never satisfied my taste in the first place. No, I will not be buying the new album.

* Edited for profanity and political commentary

westofyou
05-03-2006, 09:02 PM
No, I will not be buying the new album.

Got to save that dough for the Larry the Cable Guy's of the world.

RedsBaron
05-28-2006, 06:57 AM
This thread has stayed non-political, and my desire in this post is to keep things that way. I really didn't plan to make any more posts about the Dixie Chicks, but I thought that people might want to chick out Chet Flippo's current column on CMT.Com at http://www.cmt.com/news/print_news.jhtml?content_id=1532532. I find it rare for any act to in effect give the middle finger to a fan base.
The most surprising comment recorded by Flippo did not come from Natalie Maines but from her bandmate Martie Maguire: "I'd rather have a smaller following of really cool people who get it," says Maguire, "who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith. WE DON'T WANT THOSE KIND OF FANS. They limit what you can do." (caps added).
I had several reactions to that quote. First, while the bad blood between the Chicks and Keith is well known, what in the world do they have against Reba McEntire?
I cannot recall ever hearing another artist announce that certain fans are not wanted. Artists have on occassion done or said things that upset some fans, but the entertainners were still willing to take those fans' money for concert tickets and music sales.
I also do not buy the excuse that certain fans "limit what you can do." A true artist should grow and should not allow fans to totally limit the direction talent takes one. If the artist does not do so, that is the fault of the artist, not the fans.
Maguire's quote could be interpreted as we want our own little cult of fans who listen only to us, who are sworn to us only for life, and who are those few people intelligent enough to really appreciate how great we are.
Natalie Maines and Martie Maguire also lobbed a few more blasts at country music:
Maines: "I don't even know what's played on country radio, but when they tell me some titles, it cracks me up."
Maguire: "I just feel stupid. I was trying to convince people that that stereotype [about country music] wasn't real...but it does exist. I thought it was the old school. Now I wouldn't blame anyone if they didn't want to listen to it."
Maguire: "But over the years, and especially since country music's turned into this redneck thing, it's become kind of a negative......it's reverted back to a place that I'm not proud of, and this is coming from a true country fan. I can't listen to the radio right now."
Flippo also compared a 1999 quote from Maines, "country music and Texas are in my soul" with a 2006 quote, "I've never pretended to be country to the core."
Bandmate Emily Robison also "dissed" the idea of the Chicks apperaing on "The View," prompting its host, Meredith Viera to retort: "This is obnoxious, obnoxious. We started these girls-back in 1998, they couldn't get arrested. We were one of the first national shows to give them a platform, because they deserve a platform-they are incredibly talented performers."

KittyDuran
05-28-2006, 07:51 AM
I think they are sounding like rock n' rollers...;)

creek14
05-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Some people just need to get over themselves.

GAC
05-28-2006, 08:34 AM
I find it rare for any act to in effect give the middle finger to a fan base.

The most surprising comment recorded by Flippo did not come from Natalie Maines but from her bandmate Martie Maguire: "I'd rather have a smaller following of really cool people who get it," says Maguire, "who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith. WE DON'T WANT THOSE KIND OF FANS. They limit what you can do."

That is what got me too RB. I'm not a CW at all. And they obviously have the right to say and do whatever they please. But when I read the above I went "Wow!"

They obviously like being controversial and trying to get attention.

But to attack and smack down your "peers" (fellow CW artists), and also those fans that don't agree with them, and basically say "We don't want you because you're intellectually inferior", reeks of obnoxiousness and arrogance.

cinredsfan2000
05-28-2006, 10:40 AM
I think they are sounding like rock n' rollers...;)

Well Rick rubin did produce there current disc .Perhaps a little bit of the slayer/red hot chilli peppers magic rubbed off on Natalie and the girls :D

westofyou
05-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Waylon and Willie made a career out of knocking the Nashville scene, as does numerous Texas Country artists (Steve Earle, Charlei Robinson, Townes, Shaver, etc... )

Sounds about normal to me.

Yachtzee
05-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Well Rick rubin did produce there current disc .Perhaps a little bit of the slayer/red hot chilli peppers magic rubbed off on Natalie and the girls :D

I don't know about Slayer, but I don't think the RHCP would ever take a position that they were somehow intellectually superior to their fan base and they can take a hike if they don't get it. The only artists I could see taking such a position would be someone like Jello Biafra, who has very strong political views and doesn't care if you buy his records or not. Now Johnny Rotten would have no problem telling off his own fan base, but he would do it just because he's Johnny Rotten and not out of any feeling of intellectual superiority. Of course his fans would eat it up anyway.

I read the article in Time and they had a list of artists who have taken stances against George Bush and not suffered the backlash that the Dixie Chicks have. I think it all boils down to attitude. The words and attitude they have evinced seem to hit those who would be their fans on a personal level. It's as if the Dixie Chicks are calling them stupid because they voted for the President and support his political stances.

Yachtzee
05-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Waylon and Willie made a career out of knocking the Nashville scene, as does numerous Texas Country artists (Steve Earle, Charlei Robinson, Townes, Shaver, etc... )

I admittedly know next to nothing about the Country scene. Did Waylon and Willie knock the Nashville Establishment, or did they knock those who are fans of Nashville-based Country music? As an outsider who doesn't really like Country music, it doesn't seem that crazy to me that many people could like Willie and Waylon and others who rail against the Nashville scene while still being fans of the "establishment" groups coming out of Nashville. I got the impression that the Dixie Chicks were saying, "if you're a fan of Reba, we don't want you." That's a pretty harsh stance to take. Maybe my impression is wrong, but that's how I read it.

westofyou
05-28-2006, 11:48 AM
I admittedly know next to nothing about the Country scene. Did Waylon and Willie knock the Nashville Establishment, or did they knock those who are fans of Nashville-based Country music? As an outsider who doesn't really like Country music, it doesn't seem that crazy to me that many people could like Willie and Waylon and others who rail against the Nashville scene while still being fans of the "establishment" groups coming out of Nashville. I got the impression that the Dixie Chicks were saying, "if you're a fan of Reba, we don't want you." That's a pretty harsh stance to take. Maybe my impression is wrong, but that's how I read it.
I can't say they ever knocked "fans" but they came from a different era, one that didn't revel in "smack talk" and t shirt messages.

My wife watches CMT and GAC, but my wife is a big fan of texas country music, which is a different scene than Nashville and has been for 35 years, also my cousin is the executive producer of ACL so my pov is skewed in favor of the Texas artists

The fact is since Big and Rich (and since Shania and the Chicks and that ilk) hit the country scene the whole thing has changed, it's more poppy and the Big and Rich crowd pimp a "Redneck Chic" vibe that is awash in trucks, titties and tiny amounts of twang. I've seen the DC in concert, the crowd was not like the crowds I see at the older country artists shows, not at all.

BTW I'm of the opinion that if this was a guy talking and not a woman there'd be a lot less venom.

creek14
05-28-2006, 01:40 PM

If you mean Charlie Robison, he's married to Dixie Chick Emily Erwin Robison.

Dom Heffner
05-28-2006, 01:41 PM
But to attack and smack down your "peers" (fellow CW artists), and also those fans that don't agree with them, and basically say "We don't want you because you're intellectually inferior", reeks of obnoxiousness and arrogance.

Yeah, no one else has ever done that. Those fans she's referring to- they are just really down home and accepting people for the most part. They welcome people from all walks of life to stand under their Confederate flag.

I admire the Chicks. They don't want to take money from a group of people they have no respect for.

Not much different than a politician returning money from the Log Cabin Republicans, something you'd be fine with.

They already have enough to do what they want, and this is their choice. This is like Blockbuster losing me as a customer because they edit their movies.

Only when Blockbuster does it, you think it's cool and when the Dixie Chicks do it, they are obnoxius and are trying to be intellectually superior.

The new Chick's disc rocks by the way. It's a shame the 30% of people who like the current administration can't enjoy it. :)

westofyou
05-28-2006, 01:46 PM
If you mean Charlie Robison, he's married to Dixie Chick Emily Erwin Robison.
Yes he is and he's a damn good singer/songwriter.

WVRed
05-28-2006, 01:47 PM
The new Chick's disc rocks by the way.

Can't say I agree with you Dom. If anything, I thought it sounded like one long song. Every song with the exception of maybe Lubbock or Leave It(best song on the album) sounded exactly alike.

RedsBaron
05-28-2006, 01:47 PM

I expected someone to bring up the ad Johnny Cash took out literally giving the finger to the Nashville music establishment. Knocking the Nashville establishment is nothing new. Knocking the fan base is unusual.

BUTLER REDSFAN
05-28-2006, 06:27 PM
I admire the Chicks. They don't want to take money from a group of people they have no respect for.(from Dom Heffner)
.....I take it then they need to somehow organize a huge plan to refund the same group of people that have made them millionaires??

KittyDuran
05-28-2006, 07:32 PM
That is what got me too RB. I'm not a CW at all. And they obviously have the right to say and do whatever they please. But when I read the above I went "Wow!"

They obviously like being controversial and trying to get attention.

But to attack and smack down your "peers" (fellow CW artists), and also those fans that don't agree with them, and basically say "We don't want you because you're intellectually inferior", reeks of obnoxiousness and arrogance.You want controversial look at what Madonna's doing :p: Hey look at me, look at me!

I admittedly know next to nothing about the Country scene. Did Waylon and Willie knock the Nashville Establishment, or did they knock those who are fans of Nashville-based Country music? I don't think they cared one way or another. Those "outlaw" musicians were not getting any airplay in the regular CW music scene, i.e. Nashville - so there wasn't any fans to knock, so to speak. My Dad, a CW fan going back to decades found out about Waylon and Willie thru a relative who was into progressive rock.

KittyDuran
05-28-2006, 07:34 PM
I admire the Chicks. They don't want to take money from a group of people they have no respect for.(from Dom Heffner)
.....I take it then they need to somehow organize a huge plan to refund the same group of people that have made them millionaires??Why should they? The same group of people skewered them and sent death threats. With fans like that who needs enemies. :thumbdown

Falls City Beer
05-28-2006, 08:49 PM
I have absolutely no idea why this thread hasn't been moved to the peanut gallery. This is nuts. What happened to strict enforcement?

Because honestly, I'd love it if political threads made a comeback on this board--I'm ready to rip apart a few arguments; hell, I'm practically salivating. So protect from my worst intentions, Redszone. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. *eyes turn green while changing a tire in the rain, looking remarkably like Bill Bixby at the moment* :devil:

KittyDuran
05-28-2006, 09:00 PM
I have absolutely no idea why this thread hasn't been moved to the peanut gallery. This is nuts. What happened to strict enforcement?

Because honestly, I'd love it if political threads made a comeback on this board--I'm ready to rip apart a few arguments; hell, I'm practically salivating. So protect from my worst intentions, Redszone. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. *eyes turn green while changing a tire in the rain, looking remarkably like Bill Bixby at the moment* :devil:I agree, I was ready to PM a mod - but no one was online at the time. It should be moved or just closed, IMHO.

RBA
05-28-2006, 09:02 PM

Because honestly, I'd love it if political threads made a comeback on this board--I'm ready to rip apart a few arguments; hell, I'm practically salivating. So protect from my worst intentions, Redszone. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. *eyes turn green while changing a tire in the rain, looking remarkably like Bill Bixby at the moment* :devil:

Correct, FCB. This thread is filled with red meat.

RBA
05-29-2006, 01:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUBX9IqJmRQ&feature=TopRated&page=1&t=t&f=b

Two days past eighteen
He was waiting for the bus in his army green
Sat down in a booth in a cafe there
Gave his order to a girl with a bow in her hair
Hes a little shy so she gives him a smile
And he said would you mind sittin down for a while
And talking to me,
Im feeling a little low
She said Im off in an hour and I know where we can go

So they went down and they sat on the pier
He said I bet you got a boyfriend but I dont care
I got no one to send a letter to
Would you mind if I sent one back here to you

Chorus: I cried
Never gonna hold the hand of another guy
Too young for him they told her
Waitin for the love of a travelin soldier
Over love will never end
Waitin for the soldier to come back again
Never more to be alone when the letter said
A soldiers coming home

So the letters came from an army camp
In california then vietnam
And he told her of his heart
It might be love and all of the things he was so scared of
He said when its getting kinda rough over here
I think of that day sittin down at the pier
And I close my eyes and see your pretty smile
Dont worry but I wont be able to write for awhile

One friday night at a football game
The lords prayer said and the anthem sang
A man said folks would you bow your heads
For a list of local vietnam dead
Crying all alone under the stands
Was a piccolo player in the marching band
And one name read and nobody really cared
But a pretty little girl with a bow in her hair

GAC
05-29-2006, 07:04 AM
I admire the Chicks. They don't want to take money from a group of people they have no respect for.

But they had no problem taking it to achieve/get where they are currently at. And then once they get there, they tell those that they don't respect (basically)... "take a hike morons." ;)

And to tell their fan base that they "don't get it", as if they themselves are coming from some elevated or superior position of understanding and knowledge concerning politics is simply aburd.

Not much different than a politician returning money from the Log Cabin Republicans, something you'd be fine with.

I'm apologize. I didn't read where they had established plans to return that monies.

Isn't it fun watching how predictable some posters here are? RB specifically noted that he wanted it to be non-political, and stayed away from any comments which were political in nature.

His focus was on the extraordinary spectacle of entertainers in effect telling their fanbase to "go to hell."

Here we go, though...

WOY plays the gender card, implying that the controversy is simply because the Chicks are female, when male performers have done similar recently (Neil Young, Stones, Springsteen, etc). Dom is the first to expressly inject politics on the thread of the last couple of days; and FCB repeats his self-proclaimed ability to rip apart anyone else's arguments, begging to be held back. It has honestly made me laugh.

But yeah, if they are gonna take it that route, then it should be moved. But that was not the intent of the thread. ;)

Redsfaithful
05-29-2006, 10:35 AM
The new Chick's disc rocks by the way. It's a shame the 30% of people who like the current administration can't enjoy it. :)

My wife bought this yesterday, I liked what I've heard so far quite a bit.

WOY plays the gender card, implying that the controversy is simply because the Chicks are female, when male performers have done similar recently (Neil Young, Stones, Springsteen, etc).

The point just flys over your head GAC, neither Neil Young, the Rolling Stones, or Bruce Springsteen have suffered any of the backlash that the Dixie Chicks have.

westofyou
05-29-2006, 11:10 AM
WOY plays the gender card, implying that the controversy is simply because the Chicks are female, when male performers have done similar recently (Neil Young, Stones, Springsteen, etc).Are gender issues now political?

All I said was that she gets more crap because she's a female, opinion... like you think it's not true and I think so.

Nothing more than that.

GAC
05-29-2006, 11:16 AM
The point just flys over your head GAC, neither Neil Young, the Rolling Stones, or Bruce Springsteen have suffered any of the backlash that the Dixie Chicks have.

You know this for a fact?

And their being female has nothing to do with their "suffering"... it was the statements they made that offended many in their fanbase.

If the same statements/situation were made by anyone else with the CW genre, and as high profile as the Chicks, then I'd garner to say they, would get the same backlash.

So they being female has nothing to do with it. ;)

So that point flew right over your head. ;)

While CW music has expanded it's listening base and popularity, I think it is safe to say that a vast majority of it's listeners are still geographically located in the southern/sw belt.

And they tend to be a bit more conservative in their values, and probably don't take kindly to be "slapped in the face" or have those values belittled by the artists they follow/support.

So any "suffering" that the Chicks get is pretty much self-inflicted as far as I'm concerned.

They have a right to say what they want.... and their fans have a right to react as they seem fit. It doesn't mean they don't get it or are intellectual buffons.

paintmered
05-29-2006, 11:17 AM
This thread is turning political and must be closed.

You all know the drill of taking it to ochre's forum if you want to continue.