PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo will be a guest on BBTN @ MIDNIGHT

RBA
05-01-2006, 10:55 PM
So says the talking clowns on ESPN. 12 ET

Dunner44
05-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Well i guess I know where I'll be at midnight now... dang, there goes another otherwise productive night doing homework. Why cant i quit you reds? :brokeback:

harangatang
05-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Well i guess I know where I'll be at midnight now... dang, there goes another otherwise productive night doing homework. Why cant i quit you reds? :brokeback:
Exactly what I was thinking, but i still can't complain though.

Dunner44
05-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Exactly what I was thinking, but i still can't complain though.

nope.... no complaints. If only the reds were doing crappy, then maybe i'd actually get around to studying for finals.

TeamBoone
05-01-2006, 11:36 PM
You can probably get away with doing your homework... they'll probably talk to him about the Sox and anyone watching won't have a clue that he now plays for the Reds.

smith288
05-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Yet another fantastic fan poll centered around NY and BOS. :rolleyes:

Also leading off with Bonds flyout out and getting HBP. Good LORD i really hate ESPN now....yet here I sit.

harangatang
05-02-2006, 12:01 AM
You can probably get away with doing your homework... they'll probably talk to him about the Sox and anyone watching won't have a clue that he now plays for the Reds.
Good point TB, not to mention with it being in the middle of the "big" Red Sox/Yankees series that's even a more likely possibilty.

Rounding Third
05-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Wow, they are calling for Arroyo as Cy Young...

And right after that they break to tell us that Bonds flied out

smith288
05-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Lets not forget that Arroyo has a mullet...so says ESPN.

Rounding Third
05-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Johnny Damon tips his cap when most of the crowd is booing him

Ravenlord
05-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Lets not forget that Arroyo has a mullet...so says ESPN.
they really need to learn what a mullet is. they said the same assinine thing about Craig Wilson when he had the shoulder length hair. yet i don't ever recall them saying that Damon had a mullet.

Rounding Third
05-02-2006, 12:07 AM
they really need to learn what a mullet is. they said the same assinine thing about Craig Wilson when he had the shoulder length hair. yet i don't ever recall them saying that Damon had a mullet.

http://homedir-a.libsyn.com/podcasts/digitaldetroitradio/images/mmmullet.jpg

top6
05-02-2006, 12:31 AM
about half of the interview with Arroyo was spent discussing the Red Sox-Yankees game. I'm not lying.

6-4-3
05-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Yeah, they failed to mention mabye Bronson wanted to talk about the team with the 2nd best record in the majors. But then ESPN would've had to known that wasn't the Red Sox or Yanks.

Dunner44
05-02-2006, 12:33 AM
about half of the interview with Arroyo was spent discussing the Red Sox-Yankees game. I'm not lying.

Its true. I regret loosing a half-hour of productivity for them to ask 2 one minute questions about the reds and a 3 minute question about the sox.

Reds1
05-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Good interview. You can tell Arroyo is still very interested in Boston. The threw him away like the garbage, but he must have been tight with them. At this point winning will get him excited to be a Red. I think a 5-0 start did. Nice to see the Reds get a little face time though. Night all. Luckily I"m on central time as the interview wasn't until 12:25ish or 11:25. I'm pumped also as the game is on a station I can get at work tomorrow so I won't miss while I"m working. :)

harangatang
05-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Here's what I took from it. First they showed the play of Adam Dunn making the last out of the game and made a comparison to Manny Ramirez. After Olney and Kruk talked about why they thought Arroyo was successful they asked Arroyo why he had success in the NL. He basically agreed that it is his first time through the league (even though he has now faced the Cards twice and he got rocked the first time and pitched a alot better tonight) and he pitched in the AL East which is tough especially against the Yankees. They then asked what he thought about the Yanks/Red Sox rivalry and if he was paying attention and whether or not his attention was totally focused on the Reds or not. Arroyo said he was still paying some attention to the Sox but he is mainly focused on the NL now and the Reds. Arroyo emphasized the importance of playing the Cardinals and their past success in the division. He said that if ther Reds were going to have a chance at the playoffs that playing well against the Cardinals would be a vital part of that. Then after that Kruk put in a few words about the importance of the Reds offense to them winning now. He said that even though GAB is a homerun ballpark (broken record), this offense depends on guys like Freel, Lopez and Phillips. He also said he thinks Freel is important because when Junior comes back he can give guys like Phillips days off.

savafan
05-02-2006, 12:56 AM

Someone please inform ESPN that I called this one first. ;)

KronoRed
05-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Good grief

Why didn't they just ask "So Bronson, it must suck pitching for the Reds, don't you REALLY want to be with the Red Sox or yankees? I mean..they are the only real baseball teams, don't you want to play for them Bronson? don't ya?????"

;)

Jpup
05-02-2006, 04:43 AM

How about Greg Maddux?

StillFunkyB
05-02-2006, 07:39 AM
I think Pedro needs to send a letter off to ESPN!

I long for the day when ESPN is replaced by a network that knows what they are doing.

Gandalf the Red
05-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Someone please inform ESPN that I called this one first. ;)

But only because Jack Bauer isn't eligible. :thumbup:

membengal
05-02-2006, 08:45 AM
On Mike and Mike this morning, Steve Phillips decided that the Reds have no pitching beyond Arroyo (it must hurt to be so stupid, or be freeing to be able to talk without reference to facts...it can't be that hard to acquaint oneself with Aaron Harang's body of work if you consider yourself an analyst) and Mike Golic said "Well, the Reds got off to a fast start last year and couldn't sustain it...", ooohh so close with that observation.

Good lord, I will give Golic a small pass since he is a football guy and a doofus, but Steve Phillips could maybe try just a little bit...it is his job now as an analyst at any rate.

Not saying I want Phillips to conclude the Reds are "for real", just to use a little reference to facts when coming to that conclusion...

HalMorrisRules
05-02-2006, 09:20 AM
They did say he was the leading candidate along with Greg Maddux.

minus5
05-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Mike Golic said "Well, the Reds got off to a fast start last year and couldn't sustain it...", ooohh so close with that observation.

Not saying I want Phillips to conclude the Reds are "for real", just to use a little reference to facts when coming to that conclusion...

It isn't like the Reds are winning the games the same way that they were last year or the year before. This is some pretty good baseball that isn't totally reliant on the longball to win it in the bottom of the 9th. The defence seems to finally be picking up the pace as well. It would do well for some of these analysts to actually watch the games rather than form their opinion based on past performance and reading an occassional blog.

smith288
05-02-2006, 09:35 AM
It isn't like the Reds are winning the games the same way that they were last year or the year before. This is some pretty good baseball that isn't totally reliant on the longball to win it in the bottom of the 9th. The defence seems to finally be picking up the pace as well. It would do well for some of these analysts to actually watch the games rather than form their opinion based on past performance and reading an occassional blog.
Blogs? Journalists and professional analysts ignore blogs as red headed bastard children. They ignore them as unprofessional and ignorant.

Elitist snots, all of them. That goes for all journalists across the board.

What it makes the analysts look like is a bunch of clueless boobs. Not that boobs are a bad thing but not in this context. ;)

Dunner44
05-02-2006, 09:36 AM
On Mike and Mike this morning, Steve Phillips decided that the Reds have no pitching beyond Arroyo (it must hurt to be so stupid, or be freeing to be able to talk without reference to facts...it can't be that hard to acquaint oneself with Aaron Harang's body of work if you consider yourself an analyst) and Mike Golic said "Well, the Reds got off to a fast start last year and couldn't sustain it...", ooohh so close with that observation.

Good lord, I will give Golic a small pass since he is a football guy and a doofus, but Steve Phillips could maybe try just a little bit...it is his job now as an analyst at any rate.

To be fair, they did start the season well with the wins over the Mets. At the time, i counted that as a fast start. Then the wheels fell off the wagon.

OldXOhio
05-02-2006, 09:48 AM

Obviously the Reds have more in that rotation than just BA, but there's no denying that this team needs at least one more quality starter and that history has told us that the Reds lack of pitching depth eventually catches up with them. True, this is a different looking team at this juncture, but the fact is we're only a fraction of the way through the season and weaknesses such as those that the Reds have eventually catch up w/ all teams.

registerthis
05-02-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm surprised they found time to fit in an interview with a minor league pitcher like BA, with so much to talk about between the only two major league teams in existence. First 22 minutes of last night's show were discussing the Sox - Yanks game. Can you say El Ridiculoso?

minus5
05-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Obviously the Reds have more in that rotation than just BA, but there's no denying that this team needs at least one more quality starter and that history has told us that the Reds lack of pitching depth eventually catches up with them. True, this is a different looking team at this juncture, but if the fact is we're only a fraction of the way through the season and weaknesses such as those that the Reds have eventually catch up w/ all teams.

I still have very high hopes that something, somewhere is being worked on to solve that glaring problem. Whats great is that I always have that same high hope but this time it is met with some degree of assurance that they really will do something this time around.

membengal
05-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Obviously the Reds have more in that rotation than just BA, but there's no denying that this team needs at least one more quality starter and that history has told us that the Reds lack of pitching depth eventually catches up with them. True, this is a different looking team at this juncture, but the fact is we're only a fraction of the way through the season and weaknesses such as those that the Reds have eventually catch up w/ all teams.

I am not disagreeing, just wondering why Phillips isn't aware of what is behind Arroyo. If he wants to kill them for the Milton/Williams spots in the rotation, fine. I am with him on that. But Harang is closing in on "ace-like", or at least a solid #2, and Claussen, while up and down, is starting to establish a body of work that makes him worth mentioning as competent. Heck, if Claussen were still with the Yankees, they would be bronzing a statue for him at this moment off of his work so far this year. I just hate lazy analysts, and I know that is most of them, but still...

OldXOhio
05-02-2006, 10:35 AM
I am not disagreeing, just wondering why Phillips isn't aware of what is behind Arroyo.

probably for the same reason that last night's Reds/Cards matchup of Central division leaders wasn't discussed on BBTN until 25 min into the show. Some just credit it to early season luck or they're too busy worrying about the Yankees/Red Sox. Either way, the Reds continue to fly under everyone's radar, despite their record. Okay by me.