PDA

View Full Version : Griffey's Return (I dont know when he is coming back)

kbrake
05-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Anyone else almost starting to fear Griffey coming back? While an extra bat, especially one of his capability, never hurts I fear him in CF. I know he is a veteran and moving him might be something he is not too crazy about, but he has to get out of CF. So many balls have been hit in the past 2 weeks that Freel has made great running snags and they are balls that Griffey would just not be getting even close to. I guess what I am saying is that I would rather have Freel for his glove (not to mention he is the only leadoff man we have) then Griffey for his bat. This team desperately needs Dunn moved to first and Griffey to Left. Just dont see it happening. Thoughts?

RBA
05-02-2006, 09:29 AM
It would be nice if we seen Jr in Left, Dunn at First, and Freel in Center. But I don't think that will happen. The Reds also need to get Cody Ross a few at bats and some playing time. I don't think Aurilia and Hatterberg would like the reduce playing time however. A trade needs to be made. Who? We need to get rid of a catcher, a first baseman, and an outfielder. How? That is the question.

cumberlandreds
05-02-2006, 09:31 AM
I was thinking about this last night. If Griffey or Dunn are really team players one of them will volunteer to go to 1B. They should see how much better this team is with Freel in CF and either one of them playing 1B and the other in LF. I don't see it happening but here's to hoping it does. If one of these two would do this,IMO,it would be on par with the Rose move to 3B in 1975 and Foster being inserted as the everyday LF.

OldXOhio
05-02-2006, 09:34 AM
It'll be interesting to see if Junior's return coincides with this team's fall off from its current hot streak. Could we be in for that same ridiculous controversy blaming Junior for the team's struggles like we saw a few seasons back?

dougdirt
05-02-2006, 09:35 AM
I really dont think Freel is the answer in CF. Not that Griffey is, but Freel is going to break down as much as Griffey is here real soon if he has to keep playing out there. He is already showing fatigue out there and its May. Of course Griffey needs to probably be in LF and Dunn at first. Chris Denorfia should be in CF. It wont happen, but its probably what would be best.

registerthis
05-02-2006, 09:51 AM
I really dont think Freel is the answer in CF. Not that Griffey is, but Freel is going to break down as much as Griffey is here real soon if he has to keep playing out there.

This myth of the "brittle Freel" really needs to stop. It's completely baseless. Defensively, only he and Denofria are truly fit to patrol CF for the Reds, and since one of those two is mashing in L-ville right now, that leaves Freel. He *should* remain the Reds starting CFer for the immediate future, but "should" and "will" are two completely different concepts with this team, as I have learned over the years.

flyer85
05-02-2006, 09:59 AM
The increase in team speed with the everyday play of Phillips and Freel has made a big difference and is quite evident. Taking out the fastest and replacing with one of slowest(of the non-catchers) could be problematic.

OldXOhio
05-02-2006, 10:14 AM
The increase in team speed with the everyday play of Phillips and Freel has made a big difference and is quite evident. Taking out the fastest and replacing with one of slowest(of the non-catchers) could be problematic.

Very true, but if I remember correctly the knock on Junior a few years back was that he was a cancer hurting team chemistry. Judging the man on the field and his impact on actual game results is all that I want to see. If the Reds tail off because either Freel or Phillips are now sitting, then he's fair game.

RedsManRick
05-02-2006, 10:33 AM
I agree with the frustration over the brittle Freel statements. If you play him everyday, maybe he gets hurt and gets only 450 AB OR maybe he doesn't and gets 600.

If you sit him occasionally to keep him healthy he hopefully gets 400 AB, unless he still gets hurt and only gets 250 AB.

I guess I understand if his injuries are minor 'beat-up' type things like bruises and sore muscles. But I'm not sure how sitting him on a Tuesday is going to keep him from running in to a wall on Wednesday.

dougdirt
05-02-2006, 10:57 AM
He has cooled off a bit since he has started playing every day. He is not stealing bases like he was when he was getting rest, he isnt getting hits like he was when he was getting rest, his walk rates are dropping..... Yes, small sample blah blah blah.

TeamBoone
05-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Tuesday, May 2, 2006

GRIFFEY CLOSE: Ken Griffey Jr. continues to test his injured right knee, and the Reds continue to say he's close to returning.

In an attempt to gauge when Griffey might return, someone asked Narron if Griffey is going on the trip to Colorado and Arizona?

"His bags are packed," Narron said.

The Reds play in Denver Wednesday and Thursday, followed by games in Phoenix Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The games against the Diamondbacks would seem an ideal time to activate Griffey because the games are played indoors.

"He ran the bases (Monday)," medical Dr. Tim Kremchek said. "(Coach) Billy Hatcher had him running all over the outfield taking fly balls. He's close."

Griffey's been out since injuring the knee April 12 at Wrigley Field.

"We're going to let him gauge when he's ready," Kremchek said. "His fingers are getting pretty close together when we asked him how close he is."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060502/SPT04/605020387/1071

KronoRed
05-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Freel even in a slump still gets on base at a .350 clip, true leadoff hitter stuff there.

KronoRed
05-02-2006, 03:07 PM
It'll be interesting to see if Junior's return coincides with this team's fall off from its current hot streak. Could we be in for that same ridiculous controversy blaming Junior for the team's struggles like we saw a few seasons back?
Of course, the high paid players always get the most blame, Casey did, and now JR as well.

TC81190
05-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Trade Aurilia and Hatteberg for pitching. They're not necessary parts and can get us something.

flyer85
05-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Trade Aurilia and Hatteberg for pitching. They're not necessary parts and can get us something.I agree they are not necessary part, however, I doubt they can get us "something" useful(at least not at this point).

OldXOhio
05-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Tuesday, May 2, 2006

GRIFFEY CLOSE: Ken Griffey Jr. continues to test his injured right knee, and the Reds continue to say he's close to returning.

In an attempt to gauge when Griffey might return, someone asked Narron if Griffey is going on the trip to Colorado and Arizona?

"His bags are packed," Narron said.

The Reds play in Denver Wednesday and Thursday, followed by games in Phoenix Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The games against the Diamondbacks would seem an ideal time to activate Griffey because the games are played indoors.

"He ran the bases (Monday)," medical Dr. Tim Kremchek said. "(Coach) Billy Hatcher had him running all over the outfield taking fly balls. He's close."

Griffey's been out since injuring the knee April 12 at Wrigley Field.

"We're going to let him gauge when he's ready," Kremchek said. "His fingers are getting pretty close together when we asked him how close he is."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060502/SPT04/605020387/1071

Latest word I heard is he's not going to Denver.

KronoRed
05-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Odd.

toledodan
05-02-2006, 10:16 PM
when griffey returns dunn needs to be moved to first base. freel and phillips needs to play everyday. if this doesn't happen everyone will blame griffey if the team slides. the only way this team is going to struggle is if the starting pitching slips. right now the team era is around 4.50. for the reds that is very good. with the offense that kind of starting pitching will get you to the playoffs.

my line-up when griffey returns

freel LF
lopez SS
griffey CF
kearns RF
dunn 1B
EE 3B
phillips 2B
ross / valentin / larue
pitcher

i like switching up the left and right handed bats. it makes it harder to change pitchers later on for the other team. people want to trade hatteburg and RA. the problem is no one wanted them to begin with so you can't trade them. its the same problem with womack thats why he was given his out right release. IMO you can't get rid of RA. he is to valuable in what he does for this club. larue may be the one moved in a trade but i think his new contract might make that tough.

TeamBoone
05-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Latest word I heard is he's not going to Denver.

Marty said today that the weather outlook in Denver is really bad... 40's and damp (said it's not the ideal situation for Jr's return)... instead, Jr is scheduled to join the team in AZ.

We'll see if this rings true.

Maybe Jr is supersticious and doesn't want to re-join the team until they lose a series. :p:

GAC
05-03-2006, 09:15 AM
This myth of the "brittle Freel" really needs to stop. It's completely baseless. Defensively, only he and Denofria are truly fit to patrol CF for the Reds, and since one of those two is mashing in L-ville right now, that leaves Freel. He *should* remain the Reds starting CFer for the immediate future, but "should" and "will" are two completely different concepts with this team, as I have learned over the years.

No, it's not baseless. In his 4 year ML career, he has yet to play a full season schedule. He came close in 2004 (143). Last year it was 105. But over his last two seasons as a Red....

He missed 39g during 2 stints on the 15-day disabled list, including 21g from 6/25-7/19 with inflammation at the base of the second toe of his left foot (not including 5g missed prior to the disabling) and 18g from 8/16-9/4 with torn cartilage in his right knee...on 8/18 had arthroscopic knee surgery to repair that torn cartilage (Dr. Timothy Kremchek)...returned to action as a pinch hitter on 9/5 and started at 2B on 9/6...in August and September also was bothered by a strained right quadriceps muscle...in 26g after returning from his second stint on the disabled list hit .243 (1hr, 6rbi, 7sb).

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player_career.jsp?player_id=150472

He seems to be slumping now. Is it due to his hard (almost reckless) style of play? I think that is a valid question.

GAB has obviously been kind to him. But look at his stats away - mediocre (and this year they are pretty sad). a .767 OPS overall, and .530 away.

So I have no problem whatsoever with people questioning Freel's endurance/durability over the course of a full season.

He has yet to prove he can consistently put up the numbers over that period.

But by saying the above, that does not mean he shouldn't be starting, or should be "babied". Run his butt out there until he shows differently.

And those of us who do express some "skepticism" do so not because we dislike Freel, or are down on him. It's just that he really hasn't proven he can/will hold up.

And I hope we're wrong. ;)

KronoRed
05-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Maybe Jr is supersticious and doesn't want to re-join the team until they lose a series. :p:
Well then I hope he doesn't return :evil:

boobhat
05-05-2006, 12:24 AM
wow, after rich was hurt, i thought for sure he would be the one to be activated and not olmedo being called up. i fear now that he is far from being back.

NJReds
05-05-2006, 11:54 AM
I just assume that he's not coming back anytime soon. If he does, I'll be pleasantly surprised.