PDA

View Full Version : Cody Ross on DL, Denorfia recalled

Reds Fanatic
05-02-2006, 10:17 AM
From Marc's blog. Cody Ross had been DL'd and Chris Denorfia is coming back.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

The Reds today placed Cody Ross on the disabled list with a bruised left pinky. His spot on the roster will be filled by...Chris Denorfia.

I thought the Ross thing might be coming as a way to get Junior back on, even though Ross really isn't hurt that badly. But this, I don't really get. At all. We'll see how they spin it.

Also, as expected, FSN Ohio has announced it will televise an additional 14 games in May and June, beginning with Saturday's tilt at Arizona.

redsfan30
05-02-2006, 10:19 AM
With Freel struggling, wouldn't surprise me to see Chris in center this afternoon.

Reds Fanatic
05-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Makes you wonder how far away Junior is from coming back. You would have thought if he was close they would have activated him when they put Ross on the DL.

redsfan30
05-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Probably means another week, at least, with Junior.

kbrake
05-02-2006, 10:25 AM
This whole thing with Griffey is getting annoying. There is obviously more to this injury then what has been let on. I just started a thread over at the ORG, so its not that I am that anxious for Griffey to get back, I just wish they would be more open and truthful about this whole thing.

traderumor
05-02-2006, 10:28 AM
I was wondering if his hand was injured on that swinging hit by pitch. Guess that answers that. Bruised pinky, eh? Sounds like a way to get Denorfia up here and buy some time to make the roster decision. Maybe they're going to start working Griffey out in LF and Dunn at 1b for a couple of weeks.

redsfan30
05-02-2006, 10:28 AM
I honestly don't think it's worse than they're saying, I just think given his history and how well they're playing without him they aren't in any hurry to bring him back.

Nothing more, nothing less.

redsmetz
05-02-2006, 10:29 AM

Well, I was one who believed this would be the move to take Griff off of the DL. Very puzzling, very puzzling.

Dunner44
05-02-2006, 10:40 AM
I forgot about cody ross. I was puzzeled as to how DRoss was injured, as he just called a great game for Bronson last night and seemed fine.

Caveat Emperor
05-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Well, I was one who believed this would be the move to take Griff off of the DL. Very puzzling, very puzzling.

Not really, considering that Denorfia's stay can be as little or as long as the Reds want it to be.

Maybe they needed an additional OF today (giving Freel the afternoon off) and for the Colorado series, then Denorfia goes back down and Griffey comes off the DL for the Arizona trip.

There's no requirement that Denorfia stick for any length of time. What would've been puzzling would be to continue to play with a short bench and have Cody Ross sit there useless. This is an intelligent move.

reds44
05-02-2006, 10:44 AM
A hurt 'pinkie' eh?

Sure..............

Either way good move.

redsfan30
05-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Maybe the title of the orginal post should be changed to "Cody" Ross to avoid confusion.

flyer85
05-02-2006, 10:47 AM
seems to be an admission that Jr isn't that close to coming off the DL.

dfs
05-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Maybe they needed an additional OF today (giving Freel the afternoon off) and for the Colorado series, then Denorfia goes back down and Griffey comes off the DL for the Arizona trip.

The "trip" includes Colorado, It's an early game on a gettaway day.

I think the only way to read it is that, Junior isn't coming back anytime soon.

Sea Ray
05-02-2006, 10:51 AM
How hurt can he be? He just played 9 innings and Bronson heaped massive praise on him. Arroyo will indeed be sad he's gone.

Reds Fanatic
05-02-2006, 10:52 AM
How hurt can he be? He just played 9 innings and Bronson heaped massive praise on him. Arroyo will indeed be sad he's gone.
It's Cody Ross not David Ross that is on the DL.

reds44
05-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Wrong Ross.

M2
05-02-2006, 10:53 AM
With Freel struggling, wouldn't surprise me to see Chris in center this afternoon.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Denorfia get some starts either, but if only everyone would struggle like Ryan Freel's been struggling of late.

Sea Ray
05-02-2006, 10:56 AM
It's Cody Ross not David Ross that is on the DL.

I guess I'd better brush up on my "Rosses".:)

Ryan the Reds Fan
05-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Yeah I could definitely see Chris getting a start today, Freel just looked "tired" last night. He needs a break, he had some really bad swings. I just am still not convinced that over a 162 game season that Freel can be an everyday player he tends to break down over time, I think he is better used in that super utility role and given regular time off to keep him fresh so we can always see his all out attitude that we all love.

TeamBoone
05-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Griffey is going on the road trip. If he wasn't coming off the DL soon, would he be going?

GRIFFEY CLOSE: Ken Griffey Jr. continues to test his injured right knee, and the Reds continue to say he's close to returning.

In an attempt to gauge when Griffey might return, someone asked Narron if Griffey is going on the trip to Colorado and Arizona?

"His bags are packed," Narron said.

The Reds play in Denver Wednesday and Thursday, followed by games in Phoenix Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The games against the Diamondbacks would seem an ideal time to activate Griffey because the games are played indoors.

"He ran the bases (Monday)," medical Dr. Tim Kremchek said. "(Coach) Billy Hatcher had him running all over the outfield taking fly balls. He's close."

Griffey's been out since injuring the knee April 12 at Wrigley Field.

"We're going to let him gauge when he's ready," Kremchek said. "His fingers are getting pretty close together when we asked him how close he is."
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060502/SPT04/605020387/1071

westofyou
05-02-2006, 11:13 AM
If he wasn't coming off the DL soon, would he be going?
Hmmm... a spring trip to Colorado and Arizona, who wouldn't want to go?

flyer85
05-02-2006, 11:15 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Denorfia get some starts either, but if only everyone would struggle like Ryan Freel's been struggling of late.
He is still getting on base even when the hits aren't falling.

Matt700wlw
05-02-2006, 11:15 AM

Then we know who the odd man out when Griffey returns is....

membengal
05-02-2006, 11:18 AM
I keep wondering if they are not close to a deal freeing up some playing time for Denorfia. Kearns and LaRue or Valentin to the Rockies? They will be there this week, easy to get a deal done face to face.

Give the Reds Jeff Francis and Ryan Shealy back, and everyone goes away happy...

Heath
05-02-2006, 11:26 AM
IMO-The history of Junior suggests to me that keeping him at home for this week is the smart move. No grassy knoll here.

Plus, Deno gets to show that he can handle centerfield. I'm also wondering if the Reds brass is talking to Junior about a move to the corner OF. Also, one would think that Junior's not too happy about not playing while the team is hot.

For those of you who just joined us, the Reds are in first place. Largely to the effect of not having Griffey in the lineup.

In a week, when the Reds are home to Washington, Griffey comes off the DL and Deno heads to Louisville. The Reds effectively have bought 10 more days to figure out to DFA McCracken or trade Valentin.

Reverend Doo-Rag
05-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Ross Grimsley on the DL? How did this happen!!!

Oops, I got the wrong Ross.....

Puffy
05-02-2006, 11:28 AM
I keep wondering if they are not close to a deal freeing up some playing time for Denorfia. Kearns and LaRue or Valentin to the Rockies? They will be there this week, easy to get a deal done face to face.

Give the Reds Jeff Francis and Ryan Shealy back, and everyone goes away happy...

If the Reds get back Francis and Shealy I wouldn't be happy at all.

I would be so far beyond happy it wouldn't even be cool. That would be an awesome trade for the Reds.

Guacarock
05-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Maybe the Rockies want to see Denorfia play in Denver. If you ask me, they might not want to take on Larue's and Kearns' salaries, especially with a nice raise looming in the not-so-distant future for Kearns. But perhaps they could swallow Larue's $3 million-plus pricetag, when they've got a cheap, talented guy like Denorfia patrolling the outfield.

PickOff
05-02-2006, 11:36 AM
How do options work. Is is by service time, contract, or actual number of times the player is put on the 25 man roster and then sent back down?

edabbs44
05-02-2006, 11:38 AM
I can't believe Ross is on the DL...Chandler and Joey must be broken up.

Seriously though, I am happy to see Denof up here. Maybe it's trade showcase time for him.

Chip R
05-02-2006, 11:41 AM
It beats calling Jason Romano up, that's for sure.

dfs
05-02-2006, 11:45 AM
How do options work. Is is by service time, contract, or actual number of times the player is put on the 25 man roster and then sent back down?

It's a yearly thing. Basically if you are on the 40 man roster, but not on the 25 man roster or the DL, they've used on of your (total of 3) option years.

TeamBoone
05-02-2006, 11:54 AM
When are they going to get the PTBNL out of the way? I hate loose ends and so far, they have two of them to deal with.

I hope any future trade that's in the works doesn't have this tacked on... I find it worrisome. They may run out of PTBNL.

Benny-Distefano
05-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Oops, I got the wrong Ross.....

I have no idea what you are talking about. Hope that pinky gets better soon though :)

http://www.celticsurf.net/showbiz/friends/ross.gif

mule31
05-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Not to sound like an idiot, but what are the rules regarding coming off of the DL? I always thought once the 15 days were up some type of move had to be made; either activate the player or place back on the DL.

Someone please enlighten me.

flyer85
05-02-2006, 12:06 PM
I hope any future trade that's in the works doesn't have this tacked on... I find it worrisome. They may run out of PTBNL.They'll just have to send them John Doe.

Chip R
05-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Not to sound like an idiot, but what are the rules regarding coming off of the DL? I always thought once the 15 days were up some type of move had to be made; either activate the player or place back on the DL.

Someone please enlighten me.

If you are still on the DL, you haven't been activated yet so you can't go back on it.

mule31
05-02-2006, 12:15 PM
If you are still on the DL, you haven't been activated yet so you can't go back on it.

So basicly 15 days is the minimum you have to spend on DL? He could stay there all year without being changed to 60 day?

DoogMinAmo
05-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Seriously though, I am happy to see Denof up here. Maybe it's trade showcase time for him.

It reeks of this.

flyer85
05-02-2006, 12:29 PM
It reeks of this.I think what he has done in AAA is taking care of that.

I think someone on the major league roster before today is more likely to be traded.

westofyou
05-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Griffey is going on the road trip. If he wasn't coming off the DL soon, would he be going?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060502/SPT04/605020387/1071

Now Marc's Blog says he's not going

Jerry Narron said Junior will not be going to Colorado with the team today. He may still join them in Arizona on Friday.

flyer85
05-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Jerry Narron said Junior will not be going to Colorado with the team today. He may still join them in Arizona on Friday. in 2007

Chip R
05-02-2006, 12:41 PM
So basicly 15 days is the minimum you have to spend on DL? He could stay there all year without being changed to 60 day?

You are correct, sir.

KYRedsFan
05-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Days of Our Lives Ken Griffey Jr. style all over again. The Reds are playing well, and on a road trip. What is the motivation this time to continually out and out lie about his situation?

Heath
05-02-2006, 01:10 PM
I hope any future trade that's in the works doesn't have this tacked on... I find it worrisome. They may run out of PTBNL.

But (I just checked out Banana futures) RCast seems to be ok with parting with $$. So, the PBTNL might have a last name of Cash.

Heath
05-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Days of Our Lives Ken Griffey Jr. style all over again. The Reds are playing well, and on a road trip. What is the motivation this time to continually out and out lie about his situation?

[GRASSY KNOLL] -Will the Jury disregard the statement above. [/GRASSY KNOLL]

I think his knee is still sore - and not well enough to play in the cold of Denver.

Plus, in this day and age of "Medical Privacy", I'm still shocked they give out the information.

Danny Serafini
05-02-2006, 02:14 PM
According to today's notebook on cincinnatireds.com Ross will go on a rehab assignment at Louisville once he's ready to play again. That solves your roster crunch for a while.

KronoRed
05-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Deno is back :clap:

Now to get him some starts :)

red-in-la
05-02-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't think the Reds are going to use Freel as a utility player any longer.....he is an everyday player for good or for bad. I can see him being spelled by Denorfia/McCracken a little more often as he does look tired and I have always believed he is a worse player the more you play him.

With his limited skills he must play all out every minute, and that has to tire anyone.

flyer85
05-02-2006, 04:19 PM
That solves your roster crunch for a while.What roster crunch is that?:laugh:

redsmetz
05-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by mule31

But if a player is going to be out that long, it behooves the club to move them over to the 60 day DL because it frees up a roster spot. Those on the 60 day list don't count against your 40 man roster.

Danny Serafini
05-02-2006, 04:33 PM
What roster crunch is that?:laugh:

OK, crunch may have been a little much, but it saved Quinton McCraken's job for a while. He'd have felt the crunch. ;)

The_jbh
05-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Hopefully Dunn plays 1B in Colorado with Freel in LF Denorfia in CF and Kearns in RF.

That would be the 1st above average OF defense we've had all year

Heath
05-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Ever since Cody Ross came to being this year, I'm waiting for Craig Kilborn to pop up on SportsCenter screaming "Cody wants a pony!"

But, alas, Craig is no more.

KronoRed
05-02-2006, 05:24 PM
OK, crunch may have been a little much, but it saved Quinton McCraken's job for a while. He'd have felt the crunch. ;)
Lets hope he goes when JR returns.

Big Klu
05-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Lets hope he goes when JR returns.

Let's hope a pitcher goes when Junior returns! (Hammond)

Heath
05-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Let's hope a pitcher goes when Junior returns! (Hammond)

last time Chris Hammond pitched - April 22.

Wow.

KronoRed
05-02-2006, 08:47 PM

Wow.
Hmm...valuble.

Big Klu
05-02-2006, 08:49 PM

Wow.

So I think we have established that not only can the Reds survive with "only" 11 pitchers, they can thrive! And an extra bat/position player would allow for more flexibility in substitutions and the possibility of pinch-running late in the game for a slower player.

buckeyenut
05-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Maybe the Rockies want to see Denorfia play in Denver. If you ask me, they might not want to take on Larue's and Kearns' salaries, especially with a nice raise looming in the not-so-distant future for Kearns. But perhaps they could swallow Larue's $3 million-plus pricetag, when they've got a cheap, talented guy like Denorfia patrolling the outfield.

Would love it. LaRue and their choice of Freel, Denorfia, Kearns as well as another prospect like Guervara for Francis and Shealy would be ideal.

harangatang
05-02-2006, 10:56 PM
So I think we have established that not only can the Reds survive with "only" 11 pitchers, they can thrive! And an extra bat/position player would allow for more flexibility in substitutions and the possibility of pinch-running late in the game for a slower player.
It's amazing what happens when your starting pitching can go 6, 7, 8 or 9 innings every night.

Heath
05-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Well Paul Wilson's due to come off the DL.

I was gonna suggest that the Reds do a three-man-#5 starter. Wilson for 3, Williams for 3, and Belisle to close.

Couldn't hurt, right?

redsman344
05-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Wasnt it already stated though that Griff is due back off the DL starting the series tomorrow night?

Chip R
05-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Wasnt it already stated though that Griff is due back off the DL starting the series tomorrow night?

He's been due back for about a week. Now he's not even going to Denver. I doubt he'll be in Arizona either.

BRM
05-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Would love it. LaRue and their choice of Freel, Denorfia, Kearns as well as another prospect like Guervara for Francis and Shealy would be ideal.

The Rockies seem to be pretty happy with their current OF.

Guacarock
05-03-2006, 11:03 AM
MLB.com on Ryan Shealy's return to the Colorado Springs Sky Sox:

Room for Ryan: Everywhere Rockies prospect Ryan Shealy goes it seems, he is reminded of the fact his progress is blocked by star first baseman Todd Helton.

Shealy attempted to move to the outfield during Spring Training but suffered an elbow injury from too much throwing, and wasn't available when Helton left the lineup because of a stomach ailment a couple of weeks ago.

Shealy recovered in extended Spring Training and was all set to begin a rehab assignment at Colorado Springs on Tuesday night. But it just so happened that the Rockies sent Helton there on Tuesday for his rehab assignment.

But because the Sky Sox are playing Tacoma, a Seattle Mariners farm club, Shealy can operate as a designated hitter when Helton is playing first on Tuesday and Wednesday. Helton will take Thursday off, which could give Shealy a chance to play in the field. The Rockies will then determine whether Helton returns to the Major League lineup on Friday or a subsequent day.

"I probably would have been playing first, but Helton's down here now -- he won't let me play anywhere," Shealy said. "It's good to be back. I came up with a lot of these guys, so it's good to be around familiar faces. I'm just kind of playing it by ear. Glad to be back playing."

After slimming down to play the outfield, Shealy is back up to a more bulky 240. He didn't even keep his outfielder's glove around as a reminder of the experiment.

"I think I gave it away. ... I don't really want to mess with that anymore," he said.

minus5
05-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Did anyone else hear Nuxie talking with Gary Burbank yesterday afternoon and telling Gary that Ross, the Red's catcher was going on the DL with a bruised hand? I kept saying "wrong Ross, Wrong Ross" Guess Nuxie couldn't hear me through my radio though. Ya gotta love him though.

smith288
05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Did anyone else hear Nuxie talking with Gary Burbank yesterday afternoon and telling Gary that Ross, the Red's catcher was going on the DL with a bruised hand? I kept saying "wrong Ross, Wrong Ross" Guess Nuxie couldn't hear me through my radio though. Ya gotta love him though.
Nuxie is painful to listen to sometimes.

TeamBoone
05-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Ironically, the pitch that put Ross on the DL was the pitch that the umpire said didn't hit him.

Edit -- I got this wrong on two accounts (I meant Ross, not Denorfia). And he got hit while swinging. So sorry.

Chip R
05-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Ironically, the pitch that put Denorfia on the DL was the pitch that the umpire said didn't hit him.

Ross, you mean.

RedsManRick
05-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Ironically, the pitch that put Denorfia on the DL was the pitch that the umpire said didn't hit him.

IIRC, it hit him but he swung at it so the strike took precedence.

TeamBoone
05-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Ross, you mean.

Oops, yes.

RMR... oh yeah. I guess that is what happened. Sorry all.