PDA

View Full Version : A guy I'd like to salvage from a sinking ship

Falls City Beer
05-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Scott Linebrink from San Diego.

They're seldom squeamish about dealing; I'd send them Freel and Belisle for Linebrink.

Jr's Boy
05-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Belisle not Freel.

Highlifeman21
05-02-2006, 11:12 PM
After gifting 712 to Bonds, I want nothing to do with Linebrink. He might as well just put it on a tee for him....

But in all seriousness, Linebrink would probably be a good addition, just as long as next time he faces Bonds he drills him.

cincinnati chili
05-03-2006, 02:48 AM
I like him as a target, but the Pads are only 3.5 games out of first.

I hate to be the wet blanket, but they have a much better shot at the post-season than we do.

Jr's Boy
05-03-2006, 02:50 AM

I hate to be the wet blanket, but they have a much better shot at the post-season than we do.
Well in the weak NL West most teams do.

Jpup
05-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Scott Linebrink from San Diego.

They're seldom squeamish about dealing; I'd send them Freel and Belisle for Linebrink.

He needing saving from Barry Bonds on Tuesday. He got rocked. :)

Falls City Beer
05-03-2006, 09:10 AM

While theoretically, yes, the Padres have a better shot at winning their weak division, they're still a worse team than the Reds; that will be borne out over the next month. That team is awful.

And I don't think the deal I'm suggesting is an out and out white-flagger for the Padres either--Freel helps that offense immensely and Belisle is younger and cheaper and more versatile an arm than Linebrink. If anything both teams benefit from the deal now and in the future.

Jr's Boy
05-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Do you realize how much Freel means to this team at this juncture?

paintmered
05-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Do you realize how much Freel means to this team at this juncture?

Yep, which is why he should be shopped. His value will not be higher.

M2
05-03-2006, 01:45 PM
While theoretically, yes, the Padres have a better shot at winning their weak division, they're still a worse team than the Reds; that will be borne out over the next month. That team is awful.

When Jake Peavy comes around, that team has the pitching to compete. They've got a good bully.

Obviously the x factor with that club is the offense, but they'll need a lot less of it than most in order to win. If a few guys get right and a kid like Paul McAnulty steps up, they should be able to stay in the thick of that division.

MartyFan
05-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Yep, which is why he should be shopped. His value will not be higher.

THANK YOU! My thoughts exactly...same with someone like LaRue once he proves to be healthy.

Falls City Beer
05-03-2006, 01:54 PM
When Jake Peavy comes around, that team has the pitching to compete. They've got a good bully.

Really?

I don't see it. Are they awaiting some arrivals from the minors? About the only way I'd describe the Padres' pitching is okay.

And while I agree that the Pads will stick around in the worst division in baseball, I'd think they'd want to improve their pathetic offense.

M2
05-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Really?

I don't see it. Are they awaiting some arrivals from the minors? About the only way I'd describe the Padres' pitching is okay.

The park can make the pitching look better than it is, but Chris Young is for real and they'll bleed some value out of Woody Williams (he has an annoying habit of rebounding once you think it's safe to stick a fork in him). Cesar Carrillo, down in AA at the moment, also might be more of a ready-made pitcher than I ever suspected. He could arrive for the second half of the year. I don't normally say that about kids who just got drafted the season before, but Carrillo's looking like a possible exception.

As for the bullpen, it doesn't have a lot of names, but it's good.

Plus, okay pitching in that division is a major competitive advantage.

Wheelhouse
05-03-2006, 02:10 PM
I think LaRue will go before Freel. He costs more and the Reds can replace him more easily. If Junior's injury problems continue (which is a major factor) Freel can step in as a plus fielder, and plus leadoff hitter. Also, if someone loses a catcher to injury, it's the kind of deal that can happen very quickly (like, a day.)