PDA

View Full Version : Should Krivsky Strike Now?

GriffeyFan
05-02-2006, 08:30 PM
This team needs another starter. Arroyo and Harang are going to be up there all year long. Claussen could be steady and Ramirez, Williams, Milton and Wilson could fill out the last two spots.

I know it's early but I would be in favor of Krivsky going after another Arroyo/Harang type pitcher (No. 2/No.3) right now before the big boys start shopping. That said, I know no team will probably trade away any starting pitching right now. No one's really out of it yet and probably won't consider trading for another month, but if Wayno could nab another starter before June, it would give this team an extra boost and show the front office is super serious about competing.

Highlifeman21
05-02-2006, 09:07 PM
As I said in another thread, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The team is playing fine, and until otherwise, why make a change essentially for the sake of change? Why send that message that "you guys are going to cool off, so let's shake up the roster"?

I'd love to get another solid starter, but unless we're gonna give up say someone like Aurillia or Cody Ross or some of our guys in the minors with no shot to ever see the 25 man roster, then I wouldn't make the move. But even with those guys on that list, we wouldn't get a solid starter, so it's all a moot point.

GriffeyFan
05-02-2006, 09:39 PM
I don't think it would send that message that the FO thinks the team will cool off. I'm sure that K & C will wait until July to make any big moves but I think if this team is to stay in it in the long run, another starter will have to be acquired.

red-in-la
05-02-2006, 09:40 PM
I am not sure that ANY team (maybe the Pirates but I doubt it) consider themselves enough out-of-it to trade a starting pitcher.

I wouldn't mind Aaron Cook from the Rockies.....but again, I doubt the Rockies would part with him until they are 20 games back.

With this offense, I might consider an attempt to win now and I would trade Bailey and Duramait to get another seriously solid pitcher (Willis?).

I would also part with Kearns in a deal for a serious starter.

Benny-Distefano
05-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Should Krivsky Strike Now?

If Big K was a player on this kind of hot streak... I'd think you were talking about "holding out for more money." :p:

red-in-la
05-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Speaking of the Rockies.....this is where Ray King ended up.....I just realized.....man, this guy has REALLY never seen a Big Mac he didn't like......

KronoRed
05-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Going for bullpen help would be nice, but who is selling?

SeeinRed
05-02-2006, 10:09 PM
If you want to get a good pitcher now, you have to give up more than you would at the deadline. Meaning that you would change the look of this team dramatically. Why mess with whats working now. I think what the Reds are doing right now is for real. If so, then they can hang in there until the deadline, and then give up a couple prospects for a pitcher. They don't need an ace, maybe a 2 or 3 man.

The Reds aren't in make or break mode right now. They are building for the future. This ownership is smart enough to know that there is no sense making a huge move to win this year just because you might make it into the playoffs. They are looking for a championship caliber team year in and year out. Not a one and done. That is why you wait until July to get a pitcher for a couple prospects. It would be nice to be on the other end of that instead of trading players to get prospects for a change.

red-in-la
05-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Why you do it now? Because Arroyo is a streaky pitcher.....Harang is NOT going to go 32-2 for the year, and Claussen is inconsistent at best (either because he is still too young or just ain't that good).

And Eric Milton with a gimpy knee is only a couple of weeks away. Remember that the knee was the excuse for last year.....so he had surgery...he had surgery before and the knee not being fully recovered was the excuse.

BEFORE the Reds are 5 games below .500, WK needs to make a WIN now move....NOW.

I still believe a GOOD GM could rangle Willis and Cabrerra away from the Fish.

alexad
05-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Why you do it now? Because Arroyo is a streaky pitcher.....Harang is NOT going to go 32-2 for the year, and Claussen is inconsistent at best (either because he is still too young or just ain't that good).

And Eric Milton with a gimpy knee is only a couple of weeks away. Remember that the knee was the excuse for last year.....so he had surgery...he had surgery before and the knee not being fully recovered was the excuse.

Gee I thought the Reds were 11 games over .500, have the best record in baseball and by the way stand in first place after taking a two game series with the Cardinals, who won what???? 100 games last year.

No need to panic and sell the farm. We are doing just fine. We should all stand around and be happy where we are, hold hands and sing KUM BY YA!!!!

kbrake
05-02-2006, 10:33 PM
If the Reds want to make the playoffs I think they need to make the following moves. 1. Trade Kearns and LaRue for pitching. 2. Move Griffey to LF, Dunn to 1B, Denorfia to CF, and Freel to RF. They might be pitching well now, but I dont think these guys will hold up for an entire season. That being said the defense needs to be the absolute best that it can be. Also you can not get on people for doubting this hot start, its something we have seen before, remember in 2002 this team won 16 in April and we know how that went so of course people will have their doubts.

SeeinRed
05-02-2006, 10:46 PM

Ok then, your the GM, what do you give up right now to get pitching. Keep in mind that a couple of prospects isn't going to get you what you need, and Griffey has the option to turn down any trade. Dunn is a future star. Kearns isn't going to bring you much because he isn't proven. There is no way any of the old relievers will bring much at all. There is no way I would trade any of the young bull pen arms that will fetch a little bit of something. EE is the future at 3B no way they trade him. FeLo is the future at SS no way they trade him, same for Brandon Phillips. Freel is the catalyst for this offense right now. Aurillia, like it or not is very valuable to this team, and Hatteberg is the closest thing to a true first baseman the Reds have right now. We have three catchers, and the only one of them that would give more return than what he's worth is Valentin because of the year he had last year, and his small contract. You don't want to give up prospects worth anything because the Reds are building for the future. On top of all that, the Reds are WINNING RIGHT NOW. Why would you mess with this team in any major way right now? There's what Wayne Krivsky is looking at right now, see what you can do about it. By the way, Dunn is not moving to First and Griffey is not moving to LF. Period, so that isn't a way to free up Hatteberg for a trade. I see no part of this team that really has to be messed with right now. Maybe some minor moves in the bullpen, and Denorfia will probably go down when Griffey comes back, but nothing more other than trading a catcher, which doesn't bring what you need.

kbrake
05-02-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm telling you right now if Griffey stays in Center this team will suffer a great deal when he returns. I love Griffey, I really do, I enjoy seeing him in a Reds uniform and would honestly have no problem with him finishing his Hall of Fame career in a Reds uniform. Yet all that still doesnt change the fact that he has no range in center and with this teams pitching we need all the defense we can get. Also I think you underestimate the trade value of Kearns. LaRue, I think with more playing time could up his value.

flyer85
05-02-2006, 11:52 PM
takes two to tango.

It is usually rough to find a trade partner at this point in the season.

Reds1
05-03-2006, 12:06 AM
If the Reds want to make the playoffs I think they need to make the following moves. 1. Trade Kearns and LaRue for pitching. 2. Move Griffey to LF, Dunn to 1B, Denorfia to CF, and Freel to RF. They might be pitching well now, but I dont think these guys will hold up for an entire season. That being said the defense needs to be the absolute best that it can be. Also you can not get on people for doubting this hot start, its something we have seen before, remember in 2002 this team won 16 in April and we know how that went so of course people will have their doubts.

Why would make all these changes. Remember, they have the best record in baseball. You can't send a signal to that to the players. Kearns is a favorite and best friends with Dunn and Griff. You aren't going to get a trade from anyone yet. Even if for example Pitt thinks they are out of it you don't let the fans know as people will still come to the games. Now, I think Krisky can work the phones and see what is there or could be there, but I wouldn't expect a move. Especially considering EZ is doing well, Milton had very successful surgery and they said he could be back sooner then though, and Williams has 2 quality starts in a row and not to forget Paul Wilson. We just need to hang until July and see if someone pops up. I do think maybe a BP improvement could be made, but nothing major.

TeamBoone
05-03-2006, 01:26 AM
I agree, Reds1. You make too many changes all at once and it just might upset the applecart in ways never thought of.

Sabo Fan
05-03-2006, 01:43 AM

A good GM with an absolute boatload of young talent, something the Reds minor league system sorely lacks. The Marlins front office has shown that they're shrewd talent evaluators by their offseason deals and if you think you're going to swindle them then you're out of your mind. Krivsky may be fairly shrewd himself, but he's not going to pull anything like this off.

If you're talking both Willis and Cabrera then the discussion starts with a package including EdE, Bailey, possibly Kearns if the Reds kicked in some money, and two more high-upside prospects. In this system that means Wood and Bruce because there simply isn't anyone else. Maybe Denorfia, but that's a huge maybe. That deal would rip this organization apart and there's no way I do it. Willis and Cabrera are both set to get rich real quick and the amount of talent necessary to bring them to Cincinnati just doesn't exist within this organization.

I'm all for dangling Bailey at some point this year to see what he'll bring, but he likely hasn't established himself enough to really make it worth it. M2 keeps talking about inquiring about Rockies pitchers and I agree, that organization seems ripe for the picking. In about a month or so, when the Rockies are pretty much out of it, call up O'Dowd and see what pieces he's willing to part with. The guy is a transaction junkie just begging to be swindled. Until then, Krivsky needs to be scouring that freely-available talent pool for any prospective bullpenner who may be of some use.

geniusMoment
05-03-2006, 02:32 AM
Even though he's hurt I'd love for the Reds to get John Patterson from the Nationals. I wonder if they would consider moving him?

KronoRed
05-03-2006, 04:37 AM
Doubt it, he's all they have in the young pitching department.

Jpup
05-03-2006, 05:40 AM
as long as Dave Williams is pitching every 5th day, the Reds won't win anything. This guy is putrid, he was lucky to have the birds playing their scrub Sunday lineup on Tuesday. Ramirez might be ok for a while, but they have to get rid of Williams. I would buy Rick White a bus ticket out of town too.

after saying this, I realize that the Reds don't have much to deal with. Short of trading away Homer, they are going to have no choice, but to stand pat for a while.

kbrake
05-03-2006, 07:21 AM
I dont think you have to make the trade right now, but if you want to see this team in the playoffs Griffey cant be in center and Williams cant be in the rotation. Two more things, if you cant trade peoples friends then your going to have a hard time making a deal. Second, if your calvary consist of Eric Milton and Paul Wilson you might want to consider taking cover now.

Gary Redus
05-03-2006, 08:56 AM
You always have to be willing to improve your team ... if Willis can be had without trade EE then that is a place to go (maybe something like Homer and Phil D). Williams needs to go and we still need a bully arm - maybe Wagner is ready by June 1. No reason to mortgage the farm but if you can make something happen then just do it.

I think Junior needs to move to LF and Dunner to 1b. Like Hatte and Rich on the bench - good teams have veteran hitters on the bench who can play for a week or two as the situation arises.

TeamBoone
05-03-2006, 11:33 AM
You always have to be willing to improve your team ... if Willis can be had without trade EE then that is a place to go (maybe something like Homer and Phil D). Williams needs to go and we still need a bully arm - maybe Wagner is ready by June 1. No reason to mortgage the farm but if you can make something happen then just do it.

Trade EE? That would be a big mistake, IMHO, especially if you consider how long it's taken the Reds to establish something decent at 3B. Remember, RA only signed for a year... and he's old (for a BB player). He is not the future; EE is.

The last I read, RW is not doing so well at AAA. He needs to step it up big time.

SeeinRed
05-03-2006, 12:24 PM
No reason to mortgage the farm but if you can make something happen then just do it.

Doing something just because you can is exactly what got JimBo in trouble. If this team was 8-19, then you maybe you make a move just to make one, but not when your 19-8. Chemistry of the team I think is over looked as a key component because you can have good chemistry on a bad team and still lose, or have bad chemistry on a good team and still win. But having good chemistry on a average team makes you into a better team, and having good chemistry on a good team makes you a great team, IMO.

MartyFan
05-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I did not read every post so perhaps this point has been brought up someplace else..if so, forgive, delete...whatever.

I would like Special K to stay pat with the current group save a RP or something of that nature...this team DOES NOT need to win it all this year and would perhaps be in a better spot to make a move once they can determine exactly what is up with Junior, Wilson, Milton, etc...the team is cooking along just fine right now and we are still a month or so out to test the waters.

The fact that this team currently has the best record in baseball is something in and of itself...dio we need to win it all right now? No, being competitive and building for the next 10 years or so is the focus...if we can win now, GREAT and ALL THE BETTER but winning this year if it would be at the expense of moving the organization (overall) in the right direction would be a mistake.

So, after all of that...if it ain't broke don't fix it...if it falls short this year, okay...look out next year.

RedsManRick
05-03-2006, 12:34 PM
I agree with the general sentiment that if we're gonna compete this year, a trade should be made sooner rather than later. However, I'm not sure I see a trading partner that works. The White Sox are probably the best fit, but they have their own issues with a shallow bullpen and Garland and Garcia struggling.

The fact is that we don't need an average bullpen arm or end of the rotation starter. We need another impact starter and I just don't see one out there to be had.

TRF
05-03-2006, 12:37 PM
My thinking is Dumatrait might just have a ton of value, especially to cellar dwellers as looking toward the future. Lefty two years removed from TJ surger showing good control and K rates.

Falls City Beer
05-03-2006, 12:41 PM
The fact is that we don't need an average bullpen arm .

What about a couple of flamethrowers that could be had for less than premium prospects/players--say Linebrink and Williamson?

Now just picking those two up shouldn't be the end of it, but I'd think we could get the two of them without having to give up Kearns to do it. Use Kearns for a starter at the deadline.

CincyReds2003
05-03-2006, 12:42 PM
I don't think there is anyone out there worth getting, without giving up key players that have made this team strong. EZ has done well since coming up, and he needs to be an long-term option, if he can maintain his poise. Williams, Claussen, and Milton can be hit and miss. So EZ can very well replace one of these guys(probably Williams). Belisle is an option as well, with his good middle relief appearances. But I would love to see Soto come up and be our pitching coach, because it's obvious that he had an effect on these guys in ST, as well as the minors. No offense against Hume, but I think Soto is more effective, and I'm concerned that Hume could easily sway these guys away from the things Soto taught them in ST. If they're going to make a trade, then they will have to get rid of a guy who isn't an impact player on a day to day basis, or prospects. As Castellini said, he wants to win NOW, and I think he would convince Wayne to get rid of prospects before hurting this team's chemistry.

Gary Redus
05-03-2006, 01:09 PM
I am not advocating EE - in fact just the opposite (he and Dunn should be on the high self) nor am I meaning to suggest that Krivsky suddenly channel the spectre of Ol' Leather Pants. What I was attempting to say is that I don't think we have enough on this current roster in the long run (although baseball is a strange game, sometimes a team just clicks) so an opportunity to pick up another starter without selling off the future makes sense. While chemistry is important (just ask the 05-06 Wildcats), winning sure helps out in that front and on the other hand, the early 70s A's won without it.

danwl
05-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Do you guys really think that Willis is the guy to mortgage the future for? He can be spectacular, but he can also be abysmal.

Krusty
05-03-2006, 01:16 PM
I would part with Bailey and Denorfia in the right deal to add another starter.

traderumor
05-03-2006, 01:24 PM
as long as Dave Williams is pitching every 5th day, the Reds won't win anything. This guy is putrid, he was lucky to have the birds playing their scrub Sunday lineup on Tuesday. Ramirez might be ok for a while, but they have to get rid of Williams. I would buy Rick White a bus ticket out of town too.

after saying this, I realize that the Reds don't have much to deal with. Short of trading away Homer, they are going to have no choice, but to stand pat for a while.Your #5 starter and 11th or 12th pitcher is not who you look to replacing for a playoff run, or even in building for the future. If all you do is incremental improvement of your worst players, then you are stuck in the mud spinning your wheels. The incremental improvement should be aimed at finding an improvement over your best pitcher.

For example, the Arroyo deal was an incremental improvement at the top of the rotation. Of course, as you improve from the top down, the lowest man on the totem pole disappears. But instead of improving to a not quite as bad pitcher from an awful pitcher, you replace with a good pitcher and lose the awful pitcher in the process.

Jpup
05-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Your #5 starter and 11th or 12th pitcher is not who you look to replacing for a playoff run, or even in building for the future. If all you do is incremental improvement of your worst players, then you are stuck in the mud spinning your wheels. The incremental improvement should be aimed at finding an improvement over your best pitcher.

For example, the Arroyo deal was an incremental improvement at the top of the rotation. Of course, as you improve from the top down, the lowest man on the totem pole disappears. But instead of improving to a not quite as bad pitcher from an awful pitcher, you replace with a good pitcher and lose the awful pitcher in the process.

i highly disagree. you are saying that if the Reds can't get somone better than Arroyo then they should not make a trade. where is the logic in that? you tell me how the Reds are going to get someone better than Arroyo without giving up too many pieces to the puzzle?

traderumor
05-03-2006, 03:24 PM
i highly disagree. you are saying that if the Reds can't get somone better than Arroyo then they should not make a trade. where is the logic in that? you tell me how the Reds are going to get someone better than Arroyo without giving up too many pieces to the puzzle?

No, that is not what I am saying. You are dooming the Reds based on poor performances from the back end of the rotation (Williams) and the back end of the bullpen (White). Neither of those guys are going to keep the Reds out of the playoffs, as you asserted. And White is growing on me as long as Narron keeps his role as it is now--an out here or there, a bridge in the sixth or seventh in one inning stints.

Rather, what will keep the Reds out of the playoffs is if all they are able to do to improve the pitching staff in-season is get a not quite as bad replacement for Williams and/or White. That was the recipe for the 2002 second half disaster with the acquisitions of Dempster, Moeller and Estes.

How they do that without giving up too many pieces of the puzzle? Getting Arroyo for Pena was a pretty good start and a pretty good model, and there is still depth at catcher and in the outfield that could bring a quality starter and reliever without unsettling a 6 run a game offense too awful much.

I could see Freel (Denorfia, Ross to replace) finding us some bullpen help, maybe even Griffey (again, Denorfia, Ross) if they'll eat some of his contract. Kearns (Denorfia) and LaRue (Ross and Valentin) in a deal might get a starter comparable to Arroyo or Harang, which is a far cry from simply trying to replace Williams.

If all we want to do is replace Williams, call up a minor leaguer. I'd shoot higher though.

Johnny Footstool
05-03-2006, 03:35 PM
The Reds are winning now with a lot of smoke and mirrors. The offense has been unbelievable, playing at a level it can't possibly sustain. The pitching staff, while performing well recently, is still giving up a ton of HRs and not striking batters out.

Enjoy the Reds record now, but don't ignore the signs of imminent collapse. Bullpen arms would be the perfect place to start -- I like FCB's suggestions of Williamson (definitely available for a decent price) and Linebrink (maybe available, but would cost a lot more).

KC might be willing to part with anyone on the roster in exchange for a B prospect.

kbrake
05-03-2006, 03:40 PM
My point was never that the Reds should go for all this year, but whenever I say they should look to the next few years and not this year I am told I am being a pessimist. I just think if this team stays the way it is, it is only a matter of time before the wheels come off. Also I think Kearns is very expendable and could bring back some good pitching. I wouldnt care if at the deadline we went the other way, I think by that time guys like Mercker and Weathers could have some real value. All I am saying is that if this team wants to make a run this year they need to make some moves ASAP. Harang and Arroyo will not win 30 games a piece this season. Another thing I really dont understand the whole upsetting the team "chemistry" arguement. They are paid professionals, they are grown-ups, I think they want to win and dont really care who they are playing with.

KronoRed
05-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Do you guys really think that Willis is the guy to mortgage the future for? He can be spectacular, but he can also be abysmal.
So can every other "ace" pitcher, but Willis is the only one I see being avalible in the future.

But, I doubt we have the chips for that game.

red-in-la
05-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Ok then, your the GM, what do you give up right now to get pitching. Keep in mind that a couple of prospects isn't going to get you what you need, and Griffey has the option to turn down any trade. Dunn is a future star. Kearns isn't going to bring you much because he isn't proven. There is no way any of the old relievers will bring much at all. There is no way I would trade any of the young bull pen arms that will fetch a little bit of something. EE is the future at 3B no way they trade him. FeLo is the future at SS no way they trade him, same for Brandon Phillips. Freel is the catalyst for this offense right now. Aurillia, like it or not is very valuable to this team, and Hatteberg is the closest thing to a true first baseman the Reds have right now. We have three catchers, and the only one of them that would give more return than what he's worth is Valentin because of the year he had last year, and his small contract. You don't want to give up prospects worth anything because the Reds are building for the future. On top of all that, the Reds are WINNING RIGHT NOW. Why would you mess with this team in any major way right now? There's what Wayne Krivsky is looking at right now, see what you can do about it. By the way, Dunn is not moving to First and Griffey is not moving to LF. Period, so that isn't a way to free up Hatteberg for a trade. I see no part of this team that really has to be messed with right now. Maybe some minor moves in the bullpen, and Denorfia will probably go down when Griffey comes back, but nothing more other than trading a catcher, which doesn't bring what you need.

We had a thread on this a few weeks ago......but I am not sure how to reference it, so in a few words I will say what I said then....with an update.

I send EdwinE, Kearns, Bailey and Wagner along with another pitching prospect selected by the Fish which I would assume right would be Duramait.

EdwinE is playing great right now, but let's put our 19-8 feet back on the ground here.....if you want to take 11 games over .500 and try to turn it into the 25 or 30 games over it will take to beat the Cards and the soon to be Clemens armed Astros, you better not count on a youngster like EdwinE carrying you there. EdwinE is young, and he is going to have serious slumps before he learns to be a star. So, what happens to your 19-8 when Edwin goes a month without an RBI?

Kearns, for whatever you might want to pretend, is a recognized above average ML player. He is an All-Star, and before he gets hurt again, I would love to move him for some REAL value.

Bailey, Wagner and Duramait are kids you hold onto if you want to win in 2007 or 2008. And that is a fine plan except for the fact that Dunn and Kearns and LaRue and Lopez will be either hurt and a mess or super-stars and playing in Boston, LA or NY by then.

As to the argument that what I listed isn't enough talent.....I beg to differ. I would love to hear another list of another team that offers two regular ML players and 3 good to plus pitching prospects who are in AA and above.

So, the Reds get Willis and Cabrerra.....Willis joins Arroyo and Harang as 3 very good and consistent starters. And Willis, with some run support is probably going to win 20 games.

Cabrerra either plays 3B or LF. Dunn moves to 1B. JR moves to RF and Denorfia/Freel play CF.

Cabrerra replaces or slighlty upgrades Kearns' offense. Aurilia plays 3B if Cabreera plays the OF and is a decrease in EdwinE's offense production, but Aurilia won't make 9 errors the entire rest of the season.

When Ross comes off the DL, he now has room, along with McCracken on the bench.

I don't see why this trade would trouble anybody accept maybe Castellini and his banker. But if the Reds compete all year, he should be pleased with the extra income.

kbrake
05-03-2006, 04:02 PM
The only reason I have not seriously thought about this whole trade with the Marlins idea yet is I doubt we could get the Marlins to agree on a deal and even if we could I doubt we could sign them both long term. I dont want to give up all that for two guys to come in here and play the rest of this season and next year. This is just like the whole Clemens thing, not going to happen, almost laughable actually.

TeamBoone
05-03-2006, 08:18 PM
I send EdwinE, Kearns, Bailey and Wagner along with another pitching prospect selected by the Fish which I would assume right would be Duramait.

I strongly disagree. You're mortgaging the future for the present. That is definitely too many pieces to part with for one guy.

naynay
05-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Keep in mind....and this is everyone who says "trade Griffey, trade Kearns, trade Freel".....by gaining whatever pitching you may gain from these trades, you give up run production and defense. The more your run production suffers, the more your pitching staff as a whole - not just the newly acquired pitcher - has to perform to keep the team in it. With this group right now, the Reds can be facing a 4-run defecit at nearly any point in the game and still have reasonable hopes of a comeback. Trading away key points to your offense....let alone future prospects that are producing now....is suicide. If you trade your young talent like that, then forget about a contending team in the near future.

Wyatt Earp
05-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Is willis worth mortgaging the future for?
REC 1-2 | SV 0 | ERA 4.38 | WHIP 1.23

He's not exatly lighting it up.

naynay
05-03-2006, 09:40 PM
And Homer Bailey is NOT getting traded. Forget about it.