PDA

View Full Version : SOOO ... when do you think anyone in baseball will give us respect?

GOREDSGO32
05-02-2006, 09:10 PM
I mean comeon .. 11 over .. we've only lost ONE series all year, and have won a series at least versus all teams in the division. We were predicted to be LAST in the Central, and by many people last in the NL. I never beleived these predictions, I thoughjt what is happening now is definately best case scenerio, but comeon .. no respect at all?

red-in-la
05-02-2006, 09:18 PM
The 1999 Reds finished 30 games over and didn't even make the post season. I hope this Reds team gets absolutely ZERO respect until they hoist the 2006 WS trophy in Fountain Square.

reds2221
05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
We will not get any respect till we win the pennent.

smith288
05-02-2006, 09:25 PM
I dont want respect, I want a pennant

captainmorgan07
05-02-2006, 09:28 PM
i'll take the pennant any day they still wont' respect us when we win it they'll give some excuse

The Baumer
05-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Well yesterday the Cardinals announcers referred to the bullpen as "upgraded" from last season, which is kind of funny considering how terrible the pen was the first two weeks.

If the Reds keep playing well and Edwin and Felipe keep making names for themselves, you will see 'analysts' talking about how they knew the Reds always had the potential.

Tommyjohn25
05-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Let em stay under the radar, and let teams keep underestimating them as far as I'm concerned. Media love doesn't win games, I heard Woody Paige today call our shortstop "Felipe Ortiz". Keep on thinking that all you so called "experts", it'll be that much more satisfying when the day comes that the Reds are hoisting the Pennant.

CelticFC
05-02-2006, 09:33 PM
I like it better staying under the RADAR. Less pressure. Then once we win the division, or make the playoffs, we can suprise people and teams in the playoffs.

Caveat Emperor
05-02-2006, 09:48 PM
I mean comeon .. 11 over .. we've only lost ONE series all year, and have won a series at least versus all teams in the division. We were predicted to be LAST in the Central, and by many people last in the NL. I never beleived these predictions, I thoughjt what is happening now is definately best case scenerio, but comeon .. no respect at all?

Last time the Cincinnati Reds were 11 games over .500 -- June 2nd, 2004 when the Reds beat the Marlins 3-1. Dontrelle Willis had a perfect game going through 7 until Sean Casey broke it up with a single in the 7th and then a 2 run shot in the 9th, raising his season average to .391. Corey Lidle went 7 innings of 1 run baseball, and Danny Grave notched his 26th save. The Reds record at the time: 32-21.

How'd that team end up, you ask? They managed all the way to the All Star break with a winning record (47-41) before collapsing to the finish line with a 76-86 record -- a 16 game swing.

Cincinnati Reds v.2006 have a better team than that 2004 squad. That team only had 4 players post OPS exceeding .800 (Dunn, Casey, Pena, and Griffey -- the latter two only accumulating roughly 300 ABs apiece). 12 different pitchers started games, with Harang, Lidle Acevedo and Claussen all in the 5 ERA range. Harang is a vastly superior pitcher now, Arroyo is much better than anyone on that list, and I think (but am not certain) that Claussen will end up being better than the numbers he posted that year. This year, if I had to wager, you'll possibly have at least 6 Reds posts OPSs north of 800 (Dunn, Kearns, Encarnacion, Lopez, Griffey, and Aurillia).

But, it doesn't change that we've been here before, we've seen this happen before. Fast starts fade to oblivion as BABIP numbers start to rise, long fly balls start to carry in the summer heat, and injuries take their toll on a team with little depth (especially among the guys who have to stand in the middle and throw strikes).

Reality is stark, and it sucks hard -- but the fact is that nobody is going to give the Reds respect until they go out and show they're different than all of their predecessors as opposed to the same team, with the same problems (no starting pitching, bad bullpen) that just happens to be on a hot streak.

Highlifeman21
05-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Let em stay under the radar, and let teams keep underestimating them as far as I'm concerned. Media love doesn't win games, I heard Woody Paige today call our shortstop "Felipe Ortiz". Keep on thinking that all you so called "experts", it'll be that much more satisfying when the day comes that the Reds are hoisting the Pennant.

Yeah, referring to Woodrow Wilson Paige as an expert scares me the living hell out of me. I don't think I ever want to see that word collide with his name in the same sentence again.

It's a shame Skip Bayless is far worse than Woody Paige.

Benny-Distefano
05-02-2006, 09:59 PM
The 1999 Reds finished 30 games over and didn't even make the post season. I hope this Reds team gets absolutely ZERO respect until they hoist the 2006 WS trophy in Fountain Square.

:thumbup: :beerme:

exactly.

Everyone is always clammering for "respect."

Redsfans respect what they have done so far. To take todays game for example (LaRussa's benching of his big guns), I hope we fly under the radar all season long. ;)

KronoRed
05-02-2006, 10:07 PM
We will not get any respect till we win the pennent.
Agreed.

People mock till the team has a ring.

Heath
05-02-2006, 10:10 PM
I'll take it when Chris Sabo goes ape again in Fountain Square.

This story seems so long ago.....

SI archives of 1990 World Series (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/features/1998/wsarchive/1990.html)

TeamBoone
05-02-2006, 11:25 PM
take todays game for example (LaRussa's benching of his big guns), I hope we fly under the radar all season long. ;)

I don't know about Rolen, but isn't Pujols nursing a sore back?

KYRed
05-03-2006, 12:26 AM
The 1999 Reds finished 30 games over and didn't even make the post season.

Keep in mind though that since the inception of the Wild Card, the 1999 Reds are far and away the best club to not make the playoffs. That's for both leagues as well. 1995 was a shortened season so throw that out for looking at the Wild Card. Starting with 1996, 20 teams have earned a Wild Card. The average number of wins by those 20 WC clubs is 93.6. That number is skewed somewhat by a few WC teams that had win totals such as 99 and 102 and won the WC by a large number of games. Thus, look to the records of the top team not to make it from each league.

A majority of the time the 5th best record in each league (top team out) wins less than 90. Also, only 5 teams have won more than 91 and missed out on the playoffs.

2002 Dodgers- 92 wins
2002 Red sox- 93 wins
2003 Mariners- 93 wins
2005 Indians- 93 wins
1999 Reds- 96 wins

So in a normal season 94-68 guarantees it. Some years a lot less than that, all the way down to 88 or 89 for the Astros last season. To get to 94 wins we'd have to still go 75-60 which is obviously really good. To equal the Stros from last season we'd only need 70-65 which looks much nicer, but that doesn't guarantee a WC of course.

Buckaholic
05-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Not that it matters right now, but I would say the Reds have gotten a ton of respect the last few days. Baseball Tonight has been talking about them almost every night with Peter Gammons and John Kruk both saying they think the Reds are for real.

realistic
05-03-2006, 01:15 AM

SI archives of 1990 World Series (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/features/1998/wsarchive/1990.html)

great great article.. great memories, thanks for posting that article link - it made my day:)

redsmetz
05-03-2006, 08:22 AM
I don't know about Rolen, but isn't Pujols nursing a sore back?

Rolen is recovering from brochitis and Pujols woke up with back spasms. As for Edmonds, when you're hitting .400 against the opposing pitcher, I think you put that guy in the line-up, day game after night notwithstanding. But I think that was LaRussa's mistake (along with not walking Valentin and working for a force out and another out, or a rare Ryan Freel double play.

Strikes Out Looking
05-03-2006, 08:27 AM
The Reds won't get any respect, even if they win the WS, unless Krivsky moves the team to NY or Boston.

max venable
05-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Corey Lidle went 7 innings of 1 run baseball, and Danny Grave notched his 26th save. The Reds record at the time: 32-21.

Did Danny Graves really save 26 of the Reds first 32 victories? If so, that's one amazing stat. Gotta be some kind of a record.

Chip R
05-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Jayson Stark was on Mike & Mike this morning and they asked him if the Reds were for real. He said the offense is but you have to worry about the pitching and the fact they don't catch the ball. He did say they had great chemistry and could hang around and the more teams hang around that division, the more interesting it gets.

Unassisted
05-03-2006, 09:14 AM
I don't get to hear the Reds radio broadcasters very often, so I'm wondering if there has even been any more respect forthcoming from the senior chair in the Reds radio booth.

Chip R
05-03-2006, 09:25 AM
I don't get to hear the Reds radio broadcasters very often, so I'm wondering if there has even been any more respect forthcoming from the senior chair in the Reds radio booth.

Joe? ;)

registerthis
05-03-2006, 09:38 AM

You know, it's funny, but since the Reds have been winning the Marty bashing has been kept largely under wraps. Whoda thunkit?

minus5
05-03-2006, 09:39 AM

Wow that was great. I miss Rijo. I have those newspapers somewhere, it's time to get 'em out & frame the front pages.

nycredsfan
05-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Last time the Cincinnati Reds were 11 games over .500 -- June 2nd, 2004 when the Reds beat the Marlins 3-1. Dontrelle Willis had a perfect game going through 7 until Sean Casey broke it up with a single in the 7th and then a 2 run shot in the 9th, raising his season average to .391. Corey Lidle went 7 innings of 1 run baseball, and Danny Grave notched his 26th save. The Reds record at the time: 32-21.

The Reds had a run differential of plus 2 (rs 250 ra 248) after that game. That was truly a smoke and mirrors sort of start.

westofyou
05-03-2006, 10:37 AM
The Reds had a run differential of plus 2 (rs 250 ra 248) after that game. That was truly a smoke and mirrors sort of start.
Around here saying that then was akin to being the crazy guy on the street with the sign that said the end is on the way.

SOOO ... when do you think anyone in baseball will give us respect?

Chances are if you still have to ask for it then it won't be as soon as one would like it to be.

vaticanplum
05-03-2006, 10:39 AM

That was so much fun.

And you're right, you know, I'd love to say it feels like yesterday, but it doesn't. It feels like a very long time ago. Reading stuff like this does bring it back though, and has a lot of details that I either completely forgot about or never even knew.

If we had anything like that bullpen with our current offense, even with the starting pitching we have, I would feel a lot better about the current team.

ThatPitchIsDunn
05-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Did Danny Graves really save 26 of the Reds first 32 victories? If so, that's one amazing stat. Gotta be some kind of a record.

I think Danny was leading the league in saves and blown saves at the same time around this point. I'm sure that's some kind of record too.

KronoRed
05-03-2006, 03:39 PM
The Reds won't get any respect, even if they win the WS, unless Krivsky moves the team to NY or Boston.
Don't forget Chicago

bengalred
05-03-2006, 04:59 PM
It's us agiainst the world baby! GO REDS!

BigJohn
05-31-2006, 07:56 AM
Everyone still think Woody Paige is an idiot?

blumj
05-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Everyone still think Woody Paige is an idiot?
Well, of course, that's a constant. Woody Paige is, always has been, and always will be an idiot.

BigJohn
05-31-2006, 09:48 AM
I do believe he was dead on about the reds and how they were a flash in the pan! April saw the reds playing way over their heads and those of us that have watched and rooted for them since the early 60's knew it too!

TeamBoone
05-31-2006, 11:01 AM
I don't call it playing over their heads. I sincerely believe they showed us they have the talent to play that well... they just need to start doing it again.

zombie-a-go-go
05-31-2006, 11:04 AM
In response to the OP's question:

When the Reds have 200+ Reputation Points. :evil:

Joseph
05-31-2006, 11:15 AM
I blame this thread for the Reds woes.

Completely.

No, I'm serious.

All this posts fault.

Someone should delete it.

Really.