PDA

View Full Version : Griffey's injury...a walk through the headlines

max venable
05-03-2006, 09:30 AM
So I'm looking at the headlines from the local papers from the time Junior first got injured until now. It's one of the more bizzare things ever...it's like his injury is mysteriously getting worse as the days go by...check it out.

March 29 Enquirer: Griffey in mid-Summer form

April 12 Chicago Sun-Times: Griffey remains force to reckon with

April 13 Dayton Daily News: Griffey not concerned about stiffness in knee

April 13 Cincy Post: Griffey out after his knee 'tightens'

April 13 Enquirer: Griffey injury not serious

April 14 Dayton Daily News: Griffey's knee gets better...

April 14 Cincy Post: Griffey could return tonight

April 14 Enquirer: Junior's call on whether he'll play today

April 17 Dayton Daily News: Frustration grows in training room as Griffey stays sidelined

April 17 Cincy Post: Junior sits out fourth game in row

April 17 Enquirer: Injured Griffey day-To-Day

April 18 Dayton Daily News: Griffey lands on DL with aching knee

April 19 Dayton Daily News: Griffey says DL decision 'Helps out both ways'

April 19 Enquirer: Griffey OK with going on disabled list

April 24 Cincy Post: Griffey's knee rehab remains on schedule

April 26 Enquirer: Griffey's return on schedule

May 2 Cincy Post: Griffey's status still a question

May 3 Enquirer: Junior still not ready to return

Strange quote from Narron in today's Enquirer: "He hasn't had a setback," said Narron. "He just hasn't gotten to a point where he feels like he can play."

Is this the weirdest injury ever or what?

How do the headlines go from Griffey could return tonight to Griffey lands on DL to Griffey's return on schedule to Junior still not ready to return?:dunno:

GAC
05-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Is this the weirdest injury ever or what?

No.

How do the headlines go from Griffey could return tonight to Griffey lands on DL to Griffey's return on schedule to Junior still not ready to return?:dunno:

What is the big deal with them being overly cautious with this guy? Especially knowing his history. It's like it's suppose to be some big conspiracy or something.

To me, it's not.

In a TV interview this past weekend, Krivsky said that Jr is going through all the drills and exercises, and looks ready to go; but he said Jr will tell them when he is ready.

Why trust Jr's judgment? Because Jr has always wanted to be in there, hates the DL, and will let them know as soon as he is SURE (100%) he is ready to go.

And the way this team has been playing, is there really a rush to get him back in there.

I say afford him the time to be sure/cautious.

No big deal to me.

flyer85
05-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Is this the weirdest injury ever or what?I'd say it is what happens when you really are on your "last legs".

BRM
05-03-2006, 11:57 AM
I'd say it is what happens when you really are on your "last legs".

If the Reds can't sell Griffey on a move to LF or 1B now, they never will.

Johnny Footstool
05-03-2006, 12:01 PM

Yep. This would be the best time to convice Griffey to move to LF and Dunn to move to 1B. Dunn would do it to save his buddy's creaky knees.

smith288
05-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Say it with me....

Fiiiiiiiiiiirst baaaaaaaaaaaase.....Fiiiiiiiiiiirst baaaaaaaaaaaase.......Fiiiiiiiiiiirst baaaaaaaaaaaase......Fiiiiiiiiiiirst baaaaaaaaaaaase.

M2
05-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Griffey's knee is now on the "Germans take Stalingrad" news cycle.

IslandRed
05-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Say it with me....

Fiiiiiiiiiiirst baaaaaaaaaaaase.....Fiiiiiiiiiiirst baaaaaaaaaaaase.......Fiiiiiiiiiiirst baaaaaaaaaaaase......Fiiiiiiiiiiirst baaaaaaaaaaaase.

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but one might wonder if this mysteriously long rehab process involves secret workouts and a first baseman's mitt. Probably not. Just fun to think about.

max venable
05-03-2006, 02:33 PM
I'd vote for Griffey at 1B. Makes a lot of sense to me.

M2
05-03-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm not into conspiracy theories, but one might wonder if this mysteriously long rehab process involves secret workouts and a first baseman's mitt. Probably not. Just fun to think about.

We need to sneak video cameras inside the Chambliss Compound.

Reds1
05-03-2006, 03:02 PM
I've said for a couple years for him to go to 1B. I guess that's about like our idea to move Dunn to 1b. He hasn't even played there yet.

KronoRed
05-03-2006, 03:17 PM
We need to sneak video cameras inside the Chambliss Compound.
Use Raisor's minions, they are ninja like.

He won't be moving though, the Reds won't even ask, even though they have done a lot good things so far..they still live in the past that he's a gold glove CF.

Red in Chicago
05-03-2006, 03:19 PM
don't you think he's more apt to hurt his legs by playing first base...there are a lot of quick lunges from side to side...deep stretches to pick a bad throw...quick acceleration on a bunt...

i realize he must do similar things in center field, but i seem to think his legs might be safer out there...i also seem to recall him saying it was easier to for him to run from center as opposed to left, but if there were going to be a change, i would think that is the more logical of the two...just my two cents;)

BCubb2003
05-03-2006, 03:20 PM
I just wonder about stretching out those rebuilt hamstrings a couple times an inning, sometimes putting them directly in the path of an onrushing baserunner.

M2
05-03-2006, 03:59 PM
I just wonder about stretching out those rebuilt hamstrings a couple times an inning, sometimes putting them directly in the path of an onrushing baserunner.

I like the idea better than asking those hammies to sprint on every ball hit to the OF.

100+ years of baseball have pretty much shown 1B to be the least demanding position to play on the human body.

IslandRed
05-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Truth is, Griffey's hamstrings are a big risk no matter what. Baseball is a tough game on the hammies. Even if he ends up in the AL as a designated hitter, he still has to run the bases. It's time to realize he's not a good bet to stay healthy anywhere on the diamond, so make the decision on other criteria. Just be sure that, wherever we put him on the field, we have competent backup on hand.

cReds1
05-03-2006, 04:52 PM

Why do you have to sell him the idea or the move? Are you saying he runs this team? You don't ask him, you tell him. I know, I know, this is not the right thing to do and another problem with baseball.

KronoRed
05-03-2006, 04:54 PM
He's going to get hurt again no matter where he plays, so put him in the spot best for the D of the team.

M2
05-03-2006, 05:06 PM
He's going to get hurt again no matter where he plays, so put him in the spot best for the D of the team.

It'll never happen, that's way too logical.

Johnny Footstool
05-03-2006, 05:16 PM
I've said for a couple years for him to go to 1B. I guess that's about like our idea to move Dunn to 1b. He hasn't even played there yet.

A lot of us have been on that bandwagon. Unfortunately, there are reports that Griffey and the team doctors feel the stretching and lunging at 1B would be harder on his hammies than the running he would have to do in CF.

Personally, I agree with M2 on this. It seems like all the full-speed sprinting and sudden stopping would be a lot more destructive to his legs than the occasional stretch at 1B. And it seems like the history of MLB backs up the claim that 1B is the least-demanding position on the field.

But I guess the doctors know best... :rolleyes:

registerthis
05-03-2006, 05:56 PM
It'll never happen, that's way too logical.

I dunno, i think it might. Krivsky has shown, thus far, to be a GM who takes action on the blatantly obvious. Everyone knew the startign rotation was going to put up ghastly numbers, and O'brien seemed resigned to that fact. Krivsky went out and picked up Arroyo. Ditto for releasing Womack, and finding (seemingly) a long term solution at second.

Moving griffey out of CF is an even more slap-you-in-the-face obvious move than dumping Womack was. I'd be shocked if Krivsky wasn't at least discussing the idea with Junior and Narron. the only way i see Junior coming back and *not* switching positions is if he has made it clear to the Reds that he will refuse to do it. i don't see that happening, so I actually think there's a relatively high likelihood that Junior will be either at first or in left when he finally returns to the team.

Unassisted
05-03-2006, 06:12 PM
He's going to get hurt again no matter where he plays, so put him in the spot best for the D of the team.So he'll stay on the DL until the first game in an AL ballpark when he can DH? ;)

KronoRed
05-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Not a bad idea ;)

GAC
05-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Say it with me....

For Dunn or Griffey?

Not Jr. 1b would kill him IMO. ;)

GAC
05-03-2006, 08:38 PM
I dunno, i think it might. Krivsky has shown, thus far, to be a GM who takes action on the blatantly obvious. Everyone knew the startign rotation was going to put up ghastly numbers, and O'brien seemed resigned to that fact. Krivsky went out and picked up Arroyo. Ditto for releasing Womack, and finding (seemingly) a long term solution at second.

Moving griffey out of CF is an even more slap-you-in-the-face obvious move than dumping Womack was. I'd be shocked if Krivsky wasn't at least discussing the idea with Junior and Narron. the only way i see Junior coming back and *not* switching positions is if he has made it clear to the Reds that he will refuse to do it. i don't see that happening, so I actually think there's a relatively high likelihood that Junior will be either at first or in left when he finally returns to the team.

And I really hope Krivsky has the balls to do so. It will show us what type of a GM he really is.

Griffey has to be observing right now that this team can win and compete without him in that lineup. His leverage (if he even has any to begin with) has severely been diminished.

Refusing a move to LF, which is designed to help the team while also prolong his career, would really sour him with the fanbase.

If I was Krivsky, I'd use that right now to my advantage with both of these guys (Jr and Dunn).

But once it is done, you then have to find a way to deal with the Hatteberg/Aurilia situation.

What you don't want to do right now is cause problems/situations within that clubhouse.

WebScorpion
05-04-2006, 10:02 AM
I really don't think Ken Griffey Jr. moving to Left Field or 1st base is that far fetched. The man Ken most idolizes, Ken Griffey Sr., appeared in 172 games at 1st base and played left field both years that he played with Junior in Seattle. He was a natural right fielder, who played quite a bit of center field in his heydey. In fact, I think he was the starting center fielder for the '81 Reds. He was selfless enough to play wherever the team needed him...from '83 until '91 he played 1b, LF, CF, RF, and even DH.

Just sayin' ;)

Chip R
05-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Griffey has to be observing right now that this team can win and compete without him in that lineup. His leverage (if he even has any to begin with) has severely been diminished.

I think that's the key. Yeah, they are going to have to sell him on the move. It may not be easy but it can be done. I would say it is safe to say most of us have been sold on something we were reluctant to accept when it was first offered. That is the art of selling. Getting Jr. here to begin with is a good example. You think Lindner and Allen were all for the idea when JimBo first presented them with it? But he sold them on it and they gave him the go-ahead to make the deal. Now you can debate on whether it was a good move but the deal was done.

Jr. has stated publically that he wants to stay here. But he may request to be traded if he has to play LF or 1B. You tell him that you will do your best to trade him but he has had leg problems for the better part of 6 years, is being paid a large amount of money and has just spent X amount of time on the DL. If he is traded it will most likely be to the AL and they will use him as a DH. He can stay here and not play CF or go to the AL and DH. That AL team may not have Spring Training in Florida and may not be a 2 hour plane flight to Orlando. That may bet him to buy into the position switch.

flyer85
05-04-2006, 10:26 AM
May 4 headline from the DDN

Bad weather keeps Griffey off the field

flyer85
05-04-2006, 11:47 AM
BTW, I was listening to the angry guys this morning and Skinner made the comment that a week and a half ago he was told that the Jr injury was much worse than the Reds were letting on.

M2
05-04-2006, 01:34 PM
BTW, I was listening to the angry guys this morning and Skinner made the comment that a week and a half ago he was told that the Jr injury was much worse than the Reds were letting on.

I think the real indicator that the injury is much worse than they were letting on is that they weren't even able to describe what it is.

flyer85
05-04-2006, 01:37 PM
I think the real indicator that the injury is much worse than they were letting on is that they weren't even able to describe what it is.and also the fact he has day-to-day for three weeks and there is no timetable for a return only idle specualtion by the media(which the Reds have encouraged).

Moosie52
05-04-2006, 02:40 PM
and also the fact he has day-to-day for three weeks and there is no timetable for a return only idle specualtion by the media(which the Reds have encouraged).

They haven't needed him yet. Why risk reinjury?

flyer85
05-04-2006, 02:51 PM
They haven't needed him yet. Why risk reinjury?I am not campaigning for his return. Jr is the past certainly not the future.

We still don't even know what his injury is.

KronoRed
05-04-2006, 03:00 PM
I think the real indicator that the injury is much worse than they were letting on is that they weren't even able to describe what it is.
Yep, when it happened they said it was about 3 different things.

Spooky

registerthis
05-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Yep, when it happened they said it was about 3 different things.

Spooky

The thing is, with Junior it's entirely possible that he HAD those three things.

Far East
05-04-2006, 04:17 PM
What if the best defensive center fielder on the team happens not to be Freel, but happens to be Griffey? I'm not yet convinced (by his actual play or by testimonials on the board) that Junior has slowed down enough to be displaced.

If -- and I realize that is a capital "IF" for some of you -- Jr. still is more valuabe in CF, and if Freel in indispensable as a catalytic leadoff hitter, then it's got to be Dunn who gets assigned to 1B.

A third -- and much poorer option -- would be for Freel to play 3B, shifting Encarnacion's good hands, smaller than the average first baseman's stature, and sometimes erratic arm to 1B.

M2
05-04-2006, 05:03 PM
What if the best defensive center fielder on the team happens not to be Freel, but happens to be Griffey? I'm not yet convinced (by his actual play or by testimonials on the board) that Junior has slowed down enough to be displaced.

Then you never will be and I say the team keeps him there until it can resurrect Vada Pinson as his replacement.

Roy Tucker
05-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Swell. I felt better when I thought the Reds medical staff was being secretive instead of incompetent.

WebScorpion
05-05-2006, 10:32 AM
These lines from today's Enquirer story seem to shed more light on their reason for extreme caution:
-----------------------
But he later was diagnosed with a strained tendon in his right knee.

The injury is near where he had surgery to re-attach his right hamstring.
-----------------------
Full article - http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060505/SPT04/605050339/1071

If there's any possibility that he's reinjured that detached hamstring, they're gonna give him all the time in the world to heal before pushing it. I'm thinking these small nagging injuries that won't go away may help in convincing Jr. to move. He'll listen to his body sooner than he'll listen to a coach or manager. This team would be unstoppable if he could play a solid 1st base and keep Freel or Deno in the lineup instead of Hatte or Aurilia. I'd rather see him play LF, but I don't have any confidence in Dunn as a 1st baseman ... he seems the right type, but he just doesn't apply himself. The same quick reactions that make a good hitter, when combined with size (wingspan) make a good first baseman. Griffey AND Dunn SHOULD be good first basemen, if one of them would just dedicate himself to learning the intricacies of the position we'd be set.

redsrule2500
05-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Wow, very interesting/strange

KronoRed
05-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Hmm, JR to 1st talk in the papers.

Could it be the ground work being laid? ;)

max venable
05-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah, it keeps getting weirder, IMO...

May 2 Post: Griffey's status still a question

May 3 Post: Junior still not ready to return

May 4 DDN: Bad weather keeps Griffey off the field

May 5 DDN: Fluid on knee keeps Griffey on bench

May 5 Enquirer: Griffey's return delayed again

KronoRed
05-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I wish they would just stop talking about it, he'll come back when he comes back.

GAC
05-06-2006, 09:53 PM
I wish they would just stop talking about it, he'll come back when he comes back.

Like that is gonna happen

Oliver Stone wrote the script for this one :lol:

flyer85
05-07-2006, 02:11 PM
today from the Enquirer

GRIFFEY UPDATE: Mann said Ken Griffey Jr. continues to run and work out in Cincinnati.

"He'll run for us Tuesday," Mann said. "We'll see how he feels."

The Reds open a three-game series with the Washington Nationals on Tuesday.

There's a chance Griffey could be activated for the game.

Griffey has been out since April 12 with a strained tendon in his right knee.

Anyone care to buy a bridge?

max venable
05-07-2006, 08:47 PM
There's a chance Griffey could be activated for the game.
Yeah...a snowball's chance. :evil: