PDA

View Full Version : Your Mission or 5 Core Players

Joseph
05-03-2006, 08:24 PM
I hate to steal ideas from others, but listening to the radio today one of the topics was to name the 5 core players for the Reds that you would build around. I decided to up the fantasy ante a little so here goes.

You were just named GM of the Reds [Krivsky retired because he thought it could get no better]. Castellini and Co. gave you the mandate to get rid of all but 5 players in the organization. What 5 do you keep to build the franchise around and why? It can be big leaguers or minor leaguers or any combination there of....so, what do you do?

GridironGrace
05-03-2006, 08:35 PM
First off only 5????? lol

I think this gets a LITTLE easy to an extent.

Right now we have 5 guys whom if one were missing we'd struggle ALOT.

Adam Dunn
Felipe Lopez
Edwin Encarnacion
Austin Kearns
Ryan Freel
Brandon Phillips(New to the list)

Now thats Six already I only get 5.

Now you have to make sure you have some pitching too. So.

Bronson Arroyo
Aaron Harang
Elizardo Rameriz
Brandon Claussen
Homer Bailey
Todd Coffey

Now right now thats my list of top 6 Batters/Pitchers that are PRODUCING FOR US. With the exception of Homer Bailey who will provide help in the FUTURE.

So FIVE Guys i have to keep now and Get Rid of ALL THE OTHER PLAYERS!!!
Doing this ONLY because you ask us too.

Narrow it down.

Ryan Freel- Great lead off hitter... Great Speed and the ability to play almost ANY position good enough... however.. getting up there in age and we have Kearns/Dunn/Edwin/Phillips who have played his posistions and are either more important to us.. or basiclly the same. So Scratch Freel

Next Homer Bailey, too young to tell if this kid will be good enough when ITS TIME.. scratch him!!

Arroyo New comer who's doing GREAT, however what happens when the NL Central knows him like the AL East does? Scratch HIM

Austin Kearns- Great Young Player. But his ups and downs and injury problems would scare me, and i have to have only FIVE PLAYERS so i gotta take DUNN OVER HIM.

Phillips-Great Prospect whom has REALLY hooked us up this year... however it may only be a hot streak so im taking EDWIN over him..

So im down to:
Dunn
Lopez
Edwin
Harang
Claussen
Rameriz
Coffey

I gotta lose 2 more of these dudes :(.

Face it GoTTA HAVE DUNN!!!
LOPEZ.... Gotta have him
Edwin... Future Face of the Reds

3 Batters :)

Now.. Harang stays no buts about that.

so its down to Claussen, Rameriz, Coffey for my final Spot on the 5 man list.

And it ends like this

Adam Dunn
Felipe Lopez
Aaron Harang
Edwin Encarnacion
Brandon Claussen(Only because of more experiance than Ramierz, and still time to improve)

Thats my list and why sorry its so long

Joseph
05-03-2006, 08:36 PM
My list is as follows:

Felipe Lopez: He's young, he's gifted, he's still getting better. He's already one of the upper eschelon of SS's in the NL if not baseball and he's still cheap for a couple years yet.

Edwin Encarnacion: Many of the same reasons as FeLo. He's young, he's already producing and the combo of those two sets up the left side for the better part of the next half decade or longer if we are lucky. He's got pop, but he's more a doubles hitter and they never go out of style.

Homer Bailey: The hopes of the rotation are pinned on this lanky kids right arm. If the organization is ever going to grow it's own talent pitching wise, it's Homer or bust.

Adam Dunn: Power and defense to spare. Ok, maybe just power, but it's certainly a drawing card for the fans, and it doesn't hurt in the box score.

Todd Coffey: He's the closer of the future, maybe the near future. One of the few arms out of the pen I don't cringe when he comes in. He will help the mediocre rotation hold on to leads and at least keep us in close games when called upon.

RedEye
05-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Adam Dunn, Edwin Encarnacion, Felipe Lopez, Brandon Phillips, Homer Bailey

If I'm building a franchise, I want to go with youth and potential. May seem strange that Phillips made my list after so little time with the team, but I find the potential of this 26-and-under IF (1B Dunn, 2B Phillips, SS Lopez, 3B EdE) too tantalizing to pass up. Bailey is the one blue chip, #1 starter prospect that we have. I imagine that if he were to start in the majors now, he'd be something akin to Jeremy Bonderman two years ago. I thought about Arroyo and Harang for awhile, but as much as I like 'em, they don't really seem to be cornerstones as #2/#3 starters. You gotta go with the IF of the future and the potential ace IMHO.

rdiersin
05-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Dunn and EE for sure. Harang, also. Then it gets tough. Jay Bruce would be my next guy, and I think Denorfia would be my other, though Coffey and Brandon Phillips would be nice to keep around.

edabbs44
05-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Homer and Wood: Haven't had much young pitching to be excited about as a Reds fan, so I want to savor these guys as long as I can. But seriously, I think bats are much easier to get than SPs and these are young arms who could be around for a while. And if Wood doesn't pan out, he is still a lefty and they seem to always be in demand.

Dunn: Any questions?
Lopez: Middle infielders like this are almost as tough to find as SPs, so I want him.
EE: Youth again and the left side of my infield is set.

Highlifeman21
05-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Dunn
EE
Claussen
Arroyo
Kearns

GridironGrace
05-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Hmmmmm Claussen AND Arroyo over Harang :)

Joseph
05-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm fearful of Phillips and Arroyo, though both I pondered. They both warrant making the list if they could play like they have been for the rest of season. I just have doubts, though I really hope they do.

UC_Ken
05-03-2006, 10:09 PM
We picked up Phillips for a PTBNL less than a month ago. To even suggest he is a core player is absurd.

1. Dunn- no questions asked
2. EE- future all star 3b- young cheap and extremely productive
3. Harang- 200+Ip and <4.00 ERA at Great American Launching Pad. And he's still in his mid 20s
4. Lopez- Only thing keeping him this low is he is an average defender and doesn't have the great OBP skills of Dunn or EE
5. Kearns- Great defender in RF. good production and power. just a good all around ball player when healthy

Top 4 are pretty set in stone for me but at 5 I could have just as easily put in Arroyo or Coffey. I didn't consider Bailey because the success rate for single A pitchers is so low.

Mario-Rijo
05-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Oh man, I was playing along with Lance on this idea earlier.

Dunn- LH Power is not something you find very often. Age + Potential is just too great.

Lopez- I love him at the plate & he has show me some improvement in the field this year. Boras withstanding I keep him, he has all the tools.

EE- He's an amazing talent IMHO. I have seen David Wright play and this kid too me will be the better all around player. Without Question!!!

After these 3 like everyone else it gets a shade more difficult just because you wanna keep as much as you can and stay competitive in the mean time. So in this case I will opt to remain competitive in the meantime, with the always scrunched up "eye to the future".

Homer Bailey- (Ok I am going to sign a whole bunch of FA's after the firesale. LOL) Gotta keep him cannot let go of "The Next Big Thing".

Phillips, Kearns or Wood...Oh No!

Travis Wood- This will be my Future Schilling and Little Unit.

Obviously I am going with potential. However if I wanted to try to make the playoffs this year. I am going with Harang/Coffey over Homer/Wood. I like Arroyo don't get me wrong but the N.L. has seen plenty of Harang and he continues to get it done. Man is this tough.

dougdirt
05-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Im going to go with these guys:

1. Edwin Encarnacion. Very good glove. Very good bat for power and average. Good plate discipline. Young. Goodluck finding any more than two or three other guys like that in the bigs right now.

2. Homer Bailey. Mid 90's fastball, plus curveball and an always getting better changeup who turns 20 TODAY. If he gets that change a little more advanced, the kid is going to be absolutely nasty. This pick only gets you probably 3 years of Bailey in the big leagues, maybe 3.5. He could turn into the best pitcher we have had in a long time though by the time he turns 25.

3. Chris Denorfia. He is 25 years old. He plays good defense, has very good plate discipline, hits for a mix of average and a little bit of power. He has speed. He should be the future CF for this team starting about NOW. Forget BJ Szymanski and forget playing Freel there. Denorfia belongs in CF and he is young, cheap and solid and you wouuld get him for his prime years.

4. Todd Coffey. He has what it takes to be your dominating closer. Plain and simple. Every good team needs a good bullpen, and he is right where you start at. Again, he is young, has good stuff and is starting to come to his own.

5. Brandon Phillips. Even if his bat cools off, his defense is worth keeping him around up the middle. If he can hit .260 every year with an OB of .320, he would be starting every day for me. You need strong defense up the middle, and he plays very well.

SunDeck
05-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Dunn, Kearns, Bailey, Coffey...and pitchers from some other franchise.

ED44
05-03-2006, 11:05 PM
I would take:

1. Homer Bailey
2. Aaron Harang
3. EdE
4. FeLo
5. Brandon Phillips

harangatang
05-03-2006, 11:57 PM
1. EE - finally I think the Reds could have stability at 3B.
2. Harang - good 2/3 guy who will give you 200 innings and a stable starter behind an ace
3. Lopez - has good range and is the best offensive SS in the NL and has the potential to be better
4. Dunn - Threat every time he come to the plate as one of the better hitters in the game and he's not even 26.
5. Coffey - Only pitcher in the bullpen who can throw a mid 90's fastball and has good command.

Ron Madden
05-04-2006, 03:01 AM
Dunn, EE, Lopez, Deno and Bailey.

Just because. ;)

Topcat
05-04-2006, 03:15 AM
EE, Dunn, Phillips,Felipe,Harang

MrCinatit
05-04-2006, 07:06 AM
EE
Dunner
Lopez
Harang
Bailey

but, that is a very tough choice - difficult leaving Phillips, Arroyo, Woods, Coffey and Bruce off.
There are many other players who I do like a lot - but to be frank, I would not build a young up-and-coming franchise around them.