PDA

View Full Version : Sticky: The Reds lost today

The Baumer
05-04-2006, 12:13 AM
If you are reading this that means the Reds lost today. It also means the sky is a little darker and the funny moving pictures on the tv aren't doing much for you. Don't worry. There is another game tomorrow*. Throughout the course of an 162 game season every ball club is bound to lose some tough ones**. It happens. I know it hurts more now that the Reds are starting to play well***. That's natural. Just keep flipping through the channels until you find an old re-run of your favorite television show, or get up and talk to your wife and kids. Find something to do to keep your spirits up until tomorrow****.

*Unless there isn't.
**Unless you are the White Sox.
***As of May 3rd, 2006
**** See asterisk one.

traderumor
05-04-2006, 12:15 AM
This is stickied because...

Falls City Beer
05-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Riddle time: What's brown and sticky?

A: A stick.

Tell your boss.

traderumor
05-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Oh, its a fake sticky. Man, two minutes of my life, gone...

flyer85
05-04-2006, 12:19 AM
They must have packed the wrong bats

traderumor
05-04-2006, 12:22 AM
They must have packed the wrong bats
They brought Bizarro fungos

George Foster
05-04-2006, 12:30 AM
They brought Bizarro fungos

They used Jason LaRue's bat's. You know the ones with the big holes in them.:laugh:

KronoRed
05-04-2006, 12:38 AM
:clap:

red-in-la
05-04-2006, 01:32 AM
They used Jason LaRue's bat's. You know the ones with the big holes in them.:laugh:

Those were the holes in his swing......I believe.

Jr's Boy
05-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Not enough air to breathe.

WVRedsFan
05-04-2006, 03:15 AM
Lack of offense. Over the last nine games we'e hit only 6 HR's, 4 from guys you don't count on for HR's. Over the same 9 games, they've scored 39 runs or an average of 4.1 runs. Luckily, the pitching has been good, giving up only 2.55 runs (that has to be the best in any nine-game stretch in...memory).

Who cut the power off (yeah, I know--Oswalt and (gads!) Francis?

Freel needs a rest and Denorfia is in town. Maybe that's the ticket, but I'm inclined to say that one Junior Griffey is needed. Of course, that's not a popular opinion, but I've said it and I'll stick with it. Defense and pitching, two things we've all lusted for for years, seem to be coming our way, but without runs on the board, as we saw tonight, you don't win.

somebody call Reddy Killowatt. We need the power.

Ron Madden
05-04-2006, 03:41 AM
Tonight was 1 game of a 162 game season, nothing more nothing less.

Let's try to enjoy the season. :)

What ever will be will be.

Topcat
05-04-2006, 04:18 AM
Jeff Francis the Canadian wonder boy was on his game. Simple as that . thats baseball it happens :dunno:

Jpup
05-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Jeff Francis the Canadian wonder boy was on his game. Simple as that . thats baseball it happens :dunno:

he's been great in his last 2 starts. I would like the Reds to trade for him, although it won't happen.

membengal
05-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Indeed, people too often overlook how good pitching can sometimes be. I often wonder what Francis would look like in a Reds uniform. I think it would be really good.

No big deal. Losses happen.

TeamBoone
05-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Freel needs a rest and Denorfia is in town.

Busy Freel overdue for a rest
By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

DENVER - Given the chance to sit Ryan Freel down for a day, Jerry Narron declined to do so Wednesday.

With Chris Denorfia here, the Reds could put someone besides Freel in center field as Ken Griffey Jr. remains absent, but they decided to leave their utilityman at the top.

Narron's reasoning: Freel's down time will come soon enough.

"Freel will get some days off when Griff's back," said Narron, who acknowledged that the current stretch might be a bit heavy for the utilityman.

"Ideally, he plays about five times a week."

Wednesday marked the 19th time in 20 games Freel has been in the starting lineup, so he's probably overdue for a rest. In that span, stretching back to the day after Griffey strained the tendon behind his knee, Freel is batting only .216. He hasn't stolen a base since April 18, a span of 13 games.

Still, Freel insists he hasn't been worn down by the unaccustomed run of playing time.

"I feel great," he said. "I'm just taking care of my body a lot better than I used to. I think it's allowing me to feel good day in and day out."

It's a necessity for Freel, who played in only 103 games last year because of two trips to the disabled list. His injuries haven't been catastrophic, just nagging. The time he missed in 2005 was due to an inflammation at base of his toe and torn cartilage in his knee.

Sometimes, rest will heal the ailments that occasionally run Freel down, but he's someone that has to be forced to rest. His instinct is to return as soon as possible, and that has a tendency to exacerbate whatever problems he might be having.

This year, Freel has turned to prevention. Whether that stems from maturity or necessity is up for debate.

"As you get older, there's more maintenance involved," he said. "That's how the body reacts."

Freel has responded by paying more attention to routine treatment, not just grabbing his glove and his bat and running out to play.

"I just do whatever I've got to do to prepare myself for the game," he said. "I'm getting my body loose, getting stretched a lot, getting in the cold whirlpool, icing what has to be iced - just maintaining my body."

While Freel probably is due for a break, he's not about to turn down everyday playing time. He'll have his chance to rest soon enough, and he hopes he'll be in it for the long haul this season.

"I just want to be healthy," he said. "I want to be able to stay in the lineup and be ready if called upon."

WHATEVER WORKS - Denorfia's previous stay with the Reds this season lasted five games. He's not sure if this one will be longer or shorter, but he doesn't mind either way.

"Just talking to Jerry, he told me to enjoy myself, and it could be three days or it could be the rest of the year," said Denorfia. "I'm just going to have as much fun as possible and get some good food up here and see how long it lasts."

The Reds are fairly confident Denorfia can succeed at the big-league level, but because there is no everyday job available to him right now, they would prefer he get regular at-bats in the minors. To the 25-year-old's credit, he went straight to Louisville after being optioned out April 8, started hitting, and hasn't let up since.

Denorfia was hitting .333 with three homers, 10 RBIs and four stolen bases when he was called up.

"I was fortunate enough to get off to the good start down there that I was hoping for," he said. "I didn't want to go down there and sputter a little bit, so that was definitely a good confidence-builder for me to go down there and be able to play well for the first month."

As badly as Denorfia wants to stick with the Reds for the duration, he understands the value in getting his at-bats with Louisville. But he'll do everything he can to persuade the brain trust to keep him around for a while.

"I do still have some developing to do and I do realize that if there's not an opportunity here for me, it might be better for me there," he said. "But obviously I'd prefer to be up here."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060504/SPT05/605040321/1027
I guess JN doesn't concur... at least not yet.

Team Clark
05-04-2006, 02:41 PM
As badly as Denorfia wants to stick with the Reds for the duration, he understands the value in getting his at-bats with Louisville. But he'll do everything he can to persuade the brain trust to keep him around for a while.

"I do still have some developing to do and I do realize that if there's not an opportunity here for me, it might be better for me there," he said. "But obviously I'd prefer to be up here."

Ahhhh how refreshing to hear a young player say that.... Maybe Delmon Young could take a page out of Denorfia's book.

I should consider changing my Redszone name to Team Denorfia!!!

Unassisted
05-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Sticky like a lint-covered Post-It note is sticky? ;)

The Baumer
05-06-2006, 02:15 AM
What's up ***** cat? Woo-oe! Wooo-oe! Woe!

savafan
05-06-2006, 02:24 AM
I should consider changing my Redszone name to Team Denorfia!!!

That rolls off the tongue. :cool:

KronoRed
05-06-2006, 02:32 AM
TeamDeno? :D

savafan
05-06-2006, 02:40 AM
"Freel will get some days off when Griff's back," said Narron, who acknowledged that the current stretch might be a bit heavy for the utilityman.

So, Freel should expect a day off in...August? ;)

savafan
05-06-2006, 02:42 AM
TeamDeno? :D

Then I'm changing my name to TeamBamBam.

In honor of Hensley Meulens, of course. :D