PDA

View Full Version : MIA: Offense

WVRedsFan
05-04-2006, 02:07 AM
Over the last nine games, the Reds have scored 37 runs or an average of 4.1 runs per game. That's shocking.

A couple of things come to mind. First, Ryan Freel is proving why he is not an everyday player. In this stretch, Ryan is 9-39 (.231). He looks tired and plays tired. The Reds also have hit a power shortage. In the nine games, the Reds have hit 6 HR's, most of them coming from guys you don't expect. Dunn has 2, which you would expect, but the surprising stat is Aurilia's 2. EdE has one and Ross has one. Lopez, Kearns, and others have been silent.

The good news is the 23 runs allowed by the Reds' pitching (2.56). For once the pitching staff is carrying the Reds.

Tonight, the staff gave up 3 runs which normally would be a no-brainer win. Trouble was we didn't score. Over the nine games, the Reds are 7-2, which is good, but we had better hope the power shortage and the leadoff position come on strong if we want to continue at the top of the standings.

Note: It's been an amazing season so far and the makeup of this team has changed so much. I am very happy with the results, but with our iffy pitching staff I think we need more offense. Someone tell me why I should not be concerned.

The Baumer
05-04-2006, 02:18 AM
My first instinct is to analyze why the Reds lost today but I remind myself that losses happen and sometimes you just tip your hat to the opposing team and get ready for tomorrow.

dougdirt
05-04-2006, 02:49 AM
Jeff Francis is good. Before the game even started I called my friend and told him we were going to lose. Just had a feeling. Like Baumer said though, you cant win them all and sometimes the other side just plays better than you do. Hopefully we can be that team tomorrow.

Ron Madden
05-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Over the last nine games, the Reds have scored 37 runs or an average of 4.1 runs per game. That's shocking.

A couple of things come to mind. First, Ryan Freel is proving why he is not an everyday player. In this stretch, Ryan is 9-39 (.231). He looks tired and plays tired. The Reds also have hit a power shortage. In the nine games, the Reds have hit 6 HR's, most of them coming from guys you don't expect. Dunn has 2, which you would expect, but the surprising stat is Aurilia's 2. EdE has one and Ross has one. Lopez, Kearns, and others have been silent.

The good news is the 23 runs allowed by the Reds' pitching (2.56). For once the pitching staff is carrying the Reds.

Tonight, the staff gave up 3 runs which normally would be a no-brainer win. Trouble was we didn't score. Over the nine games, the Reds are 7-2, which is good, but we had better hope the power shortage and the leadoff position come on strong if we want to continue at the top of the standings.

Note: It's been an amazing season so far and the makeup of this team has changed so much. I am very happy with the results, but with our iffy pitching staff I think we need more offense. Someone tell me why I should not be concerned.

Everything will even out in the end. It's early. :)

butlerbulldogs
05-04-2006, 07:28 AM
everyone still fearing the return of KGjr.? ;)

bigredmachine1976
05-04-2006, 08:00 AM
I'm with you on that. Griffey and his 500+ home runs are bound to cripple our offense.

Moosie52
05-04-2006, 08:10 AM
It was 50 degrees, raining, and a mile high last night. Is it just me, or does it seem like baseball players play in the rain a lot more than they used to? I think it rained the entire game last night.

TC81190
05-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Lopez is scaring me this year.

M2
05-04-2006, 09:10 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44647

Chip R
05-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Did anyone really expect the offense to keep putting up the kind of numbers it has this year? I don't think we are going to turn into the Pirates - offensive wise - but I think the offense is just coming back down to earth some.

Heath
05-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Lopez is scaring me this year.

Expand on your thoughts here -

Kc61
05-04-2006, 10:08 AM
If Griffey wasn't in the wings, the Reds could use another middle of the order bat. Most of the guys they now have are complimentary hitters, not mid-order types IMO.

Falls City Beer
05-04-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm about as worried about this offense as I am that I'll become a pirate.

westofyou
05-04-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm more worried that I'll go line dancing than that the offense will fail.

M2
05-04-2006, 10:55 AM

Are you saying a life of cutlasses and dubloons couldn't woo you?

Thanks to the lack of quality navies around the Indian Ocean, piracy's making a big comeback.

TRF
05-04-2006, 11:42 AM

Thanks to the lack of quality navies around the Indian Ocean, piracy's making a big comeback.

ok, quick poll.
Who was the better pirate?

Jack Sparrow or Bully Hayes?

I go with Hayes.

reds44
05-04-2006, 11:50 AM
When your top 2 guys are slumping like Felipe and Freel are, and your 500+ homer CF is on the DL things like this tend to happen.

If we didn't have EE and BP on fire it would be even worse. We need to get Junior back. I agree with you on the Freel isn't an everyday player thing.

Here is my proposed lineup when Junior comes back I think Felipe needs to go to the leadoff spot (where he preformed very well last year) and BP or EE need to slide into the 2 hole.

M2
05-04-2006, 11:57 AM
When your top 2 guys are slumping like Felipe and Freel are, and your 500+ homer CF is on the DL things like this tend to happen.

Or when you're involved in the enterprise known as professional baseball.

BTW, scoring 4.1 runs a game would offiicially qualify as the best team slump in history.

Falls City Beer
05-04-2006, 12:02 PM
The Reds I suspect won't face the string of pitching that began Friday night with Oswalt and terminated last night with Francis many more times this season, if at all. That's a postseason roster of starters (with the exception of Ponson--who to be fair, has been nothing short of quite effective this season).

This offense will erupt again and this hand-wringing will be a thing of the past...until the next time the team faces All-Star pitching.

Unassisted
05-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Considering the lousy baseball weather, Jeff Francis' performance and the fact that it was a night game 2 time zones west of the previous game, I'm not at all concerned that this loss was a harbinger of anything.

Johnny Footstool
05-04-2006, 12:09 PM

I agree. The offense will be very good to great all season. Don't start swashing that buckler just yet.

registerthis
05-04-2006, 12:20 PM
A couple of things come to mind. First, Ryan Freel is proving why he is not an everyday player. In this stretch, Ryan is 9-39 (.231). He looks tired and plays tired.

Yep, Ryan is only leading all NL leadoff hitters in OBP.

In 2004, he didn't seem to have any troubles playing in 140+ games and racking up 500+ ABs. The idea that Freel can't handle everyday play is a myth, and is completely unsupportable. Periods that would be categorized as "slumps" by any other player get categorized as "proof" thaht Ryan is incapable of playing on an everday basis. Baloney.

bucksfan
05-04-2006, 12:40 PM
I am not concerned at all about the offense. As M2 stated, when our offensive slump consists of averaging 4.1 runs/game (over just a very small sample), then things aren't in too bad a shape offensively.

Given the effort that Freel exerts on the field in the games I have watched (which fortunately for me this year are most of them thanks to the Indians and FSOH parting ways), I think Freel is playing very very hard and making some great plays in the OF and on the bases - not playing tired at all. He may look like he's been through the wringer, but that is how someone looks after he has given the kind of effort Freel has. The only thing I'd say towards Freel not being able to play every day is that would be simply due to the likelihood of injury from his style. But until that injury happens, I don't see that he is a guy that will just wear down from going out there every day. I don't think you limit his PT because he can't hack it day-to-day - rest him occasionally as you would most players, but count on him being out there unless an injury is keeping hiom off the field.

KronoRed
05-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Slumps happen, if it lasts a month I'd be concerned

TC81190
05-04-2006, 04:27 PM

In 2004, he didn't seem to have any troubles playing in 140+ games and racking up 500+ ABs. The idea that Freel can't handle everyday play is a myth, and is completely unsupportable. Periods that would be categorized as "slumps" by any other player get categorized as "proof" thaht Ryan is incapable of playing on an everday basis. Baloney.

I don't know, I'm not sure if Ryan can actually hit. He doesn't have the SLG to carry himself, and if I'm right and he can't hit, pitchers will start throwing him more strikes and walking him less causing him to have to swing the bat theeeeerefore...reducing Ryan's overall offensive capabilities.

Johnny Footstool
05-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Freel is a career .275 hitter in over 1100 ABs. Not bad.

His career OBP is .373. Very good.

Hubba
05-04-2006, 06:13 PM
I cant believe this, lose one game and their offence has gone south.

Falls City Beer
05-04-2006, 06:22 PM

Incidentally, I walk in the door today from work and my younger daughter's (age 6) wearing her Jolly Roger t-shirt we got her in Virginia last week.

Yeeargh.

(I can't wait to see if any notes come home from school concerning the presence of a skull on my daughter's t-shirt).

Mario-Rijo
05-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Unassisted
Considering the lousy baseball weather, Jeff Francis' performance and the fact that it was a night game 2 time zones west of the previous game, I'm not at all concerned that this loss was a harbinger of anything.

I couldn't agree more! :thumbup:

GAC
05-04-2006, 08:56 PM

I posted this on another thread, but it's worth repeating. ;)

No, it's not baseless or unsupportable. In his 4 year ML career, he has yet to play a full season schedule. He came close in 2004 (143). Last year it was 105. But over his last two seasons as a Red....

He missed 39g during 2 stints on the 15-day disabled list, including 21g from 6/25-7/19 with inflammation at the base of the second toe of his left foot (not including 5g missed prior to the disabling) and 18g from 8/16-9/4 with torn cartilage in his right knee...on 8/18 had arthroscopic knee surgery to repair that torn cartilage (Dr. Timothy Kremchek)...returned to action as a pinch hitter on 9/5 and started at 2B on 9/6...in August and September also was bothered by a strained right quadriceps muscle...in 26g after returning from his second stint on the disabled list hit .243 (1hr, 6rbi, 7sb).

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...ayer_id=150472

He seems to be slumping now. Is it due to his hard (almost reckless) style of play? I think that is a valid question.

GAB has obviously been kind to him. But look at his stats away - mediocre (and this year they are pretty sad). a .767 OPS overall, and .530 away.

So I have no problem whatsoever with people questioning Freel's endurance/durability over the course of a full season.

He has yet to prove he can consistently put up the numbers over that period.

But by saying the above, that does not mean he shouldn't be starting, or should be "babied". Run his butt out there until he shows differently.

And those of us who do express some "skepticism" do so not because we dislike Freel, or are down on him. It's just that he really hasn't proven he can/will hold up.

And I hope we're wrong.

membengal
05-04-2006, 11:26 PM
The offense says "hi".

WVRedsFan
05-05-2006, 12:15 AM
The offense says "hi".

Always a pleasure to welcome an old friend.

paintmered
05-05-2006, 02:41 AM
The offense was lost but now it's found. 'Twas blind but now they rake.

(yep 2:40 in the morning and still awake so I apologize if this post is utter nonsense)

registerthis
05-05-2006, 11:03 AM
The offense was lost but now it's found. 'Twas blind but now they rake.

(yep 2:40 in the morning and still awake so I apologize if this post is utter nonsense)

That was almost a really good couplet there:

The 'O was lost but now 'tis found, twas blind but now they rake
If the pitching only comes around, t'wouldn't keep me awake

WebScorpion
05-05-2006, 11:20 AM
If the pitching only comes around, t'wouldn't keep me awake

Um, when I checked the league leader board this morning, I found this:

ERA: 1 - Contereras, 1.41; 2 - Maroth, 1.78; 3 - Glavine, 1.94; 4 - Arroyo, 2.04
Ks: 1 - Harang, 45; 2 - Martinez, 42; 3 - Glavine, 41
Wins: 1 - Arroyo, 5; 1 - Harang, 5; 1 - Johnson, 5; 1 - Contreras, 5; 1 - Maddux, 5; 1 - Oswalt, 5; 1 - Martinez, 5

I'd say our pitching is coming around...we may not be the best staff in MLB, but we're certainly no longer the worst.

registerthis
05-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Um, when I checked the league leader board this morning, I found this:

Wasn't meant to be a serious critique, I was just looking for something that rhymed.

And beyond Harang and Arroyo, the pitching hasn't exactly been spectacular. But, again, I was just looking for a couplet there.

WebScorpion
05-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Wasn't meant to be a serious critique, I was just looking for something that rhymed.

And beyond Harang and Arroyo, the pitching hasn't exactly been spectacular. But, again, I was just looking for a couplet there.

Yes, very nice prose. :thumbup: I'm just a little overzealous since it's been longer than I can remember since we had REDS PITCHERS ON THE MLB LEADERBOARD! WooHoo! Maybe I'm just overcelebrating while I can, out of fear that it will be another decade before I see it again.

registerthis
05-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Yes, very nice prose. :thumbup: I'm just a little overzealous since it's been longer than I can remember since we had REDS PITCHERS ON THE MLB LEADERBOARD! WooHoo! Maybe I'm just overcelebrating while I can, out of fear that it will be another decade before I see it again.

No, I'm right there with you. Harang and Arroyo are as good a 1-2 punch as you're likely to find in baseball right now. Definitely thebest tandem the reds have put out there in many moons.

reds44
05-05-2006, 11:55 PM
The offense says "hi".
Where'd it go?

Falls City Beer
05-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Where'd it go?

You realize they scored 7 runs last night, right? And that they've faced an unreal number of All-Star pitchers in the last week?

wheels
05-06-2006, 12:34 AM
You realize they scored 7 runs last night, right? And that they've faced an unreal number of All-Star pitchers in the last week?

Aw c'mon.

That Brandon Webb guy stinks.

Reds shoulda put up eight or ten runs tonight.:rolleyes:

reds44
05-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Yes.

So we have scored 8 runs in our last 3 games.

Ron Madden
05-06-2006, 03:50 AM
Yes.

Make no mistake about it this team will score a bunch of runs.

So far we've been blessed with something that looks like a pitching staff. God knows I'm thankful for that.

I hate to say this but our pitching staff is still a major weakness.

KronoRed
05-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Yes.

Faced 2 pretty good pitchers as well.

Good pitching will usually triumph over good hitting.

GAC
05-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Faced 2 pretty good pitchers as well.

Good pitching will usually triumph over good hitting.

That's inconsequential to some.

This offense needs to be putting out 7-8 runs every day, every game. ;)

We've got the 2nd best record in all of baseball right now, our rotation looks better then it has in years (still room for improvement), and young players like EE, Lopez, and now Phillips, are complementing the play of guys likes Dunn, Kearns, and Freel.

And yet some still can't seem to enjoy it. It's not enough.

All offenses, even one as potent as ours, is gonna have spells.

Don't worry, be happy!

reds44
05-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Oh I am enjoying it, and I am not really worried about the offense.

Candy Cummings
05-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Baseball is a game of large samples. This team will lead the NL in runs scored, in my opinion, but you can't do it everyday. The key to this team contending is Arroyo putting together a full season, and the other pitchers continuing to contribute consistent starts and not getting tired through overuse.

reds44
05-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Now is Claudio Vargas an all-star pitcher?

The offense is spuddering.

westofyou
05-06-2006, 11:14 PM

Baseball is like a see saw.

The Reds pitching has been jumping off with the hitters in the air for the past couple years, they can deal with it.

dsmith421
05-06-2006, 11:16 PM

When did "spuddering" become a word?

And when did it become acceptable to pass judgment on a baseball team based on three games, i.e., about two percent of a season?

reds44
05-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Take out the 7 run game

3 games, 2 run

Put in the 7 run game

4 games, 9 runs

either way not very good.

Patrick Bateman
05-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Take out the 7 run game

3 games, 2 run

Put in the 7 run game

4 games, 9 runs

Which is why you don't look at a 4 game span. Over the course of the season the Reds will score lots of runs. Sometimes they will score a ton, sometimes they wont. What matter is that they will score lots of runs more often then almost all of the other teams. Even the best hitters go through slumps. You can't expect them to be firing on all cylinders at all times.

OnBaseMachine
05-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Take out the 7 run game

3 games, 2 run

Put in the 7 run game

4 games, 9 runs

Take out the games when they scored 0 runs, 1 run, and 1 run and replace them with the Reds run per game average(5.3) and you have 4 games, 22 or 23 runs.

Pretty good.

:p:

WVRedsFan
05-07-2006, 01:31 AM
Since I started this thread, I'll chime in.

It appears to me after watching Freel for the last few years that he tends to be impatient at the plate, but more so when he gets tired. And, whether we like it or not, his position at the top of the order means we depend on him to get on base and get the pitcher flustered, steal a base or whatever. He's not doing that lately. He's just not hitting (.237 after tonight's game) and if he doesn't get on base, the offense splutters somewhat.

Another factor is the cooling down of Brandon Phillips. He came out driving in runs left and right and now his poor plate discipline is also costing us. Tonight, we left 12 runners on base and Brandon left 5 of them. In April, he was always getting hits and driving in runs. He may be a streak hitter and like someone said, he was acquired for his defense (which he showed tonight), but he was a major part of the Reds' fast start.

Tomorrow is Sunday and that means Narron, true to form, will construct a lineup that is different. He needs to rest Freel, put Denorfia in center and pray we get double digit runs because Dave Williams is pitching :scared: .

And hope that Junior is back when we get home. With Phillips, Dunn, and Freel slumping, we need the offense.

reds44
05-07-2006, 01:47 AM
With our 3-4-5 (Dunn-EE-Hat) all having such good OBPs it means alot of guys are on base in the 7-8 spot.

When Junior gets back it will allow everyone to slide down a spot putting Kearns and LaRue/Javy in the 7th and 8th spot who I think at this point and time are hitting better then BP.

As crazy as it sounds, because BP isn't that great of a hitter he needs to be batting higher rather then lower.

The Baumer
05-07-2006, 01:51 AM
Hitting is contagious. Felo and Freel's slumps have affected the rest of the lineup.

FeLo has turned it around as of late but Freel still looks lost up there. If you watched his at bats in the beginning of the year he was taking a lot of pitches and his eye was exceptional. Now he is fisting off every pitch and hitting shallow pop flies into the outfield.

dsmith421
05-07-2006, 02:13 AM

It appears to me after watching Freel for the last few years that he tends to be impatient at the plate, but more so when he gets tired. And, whether we like it or not, his position at the top of the order means we depend on him to get on base and get the pitcher flustered, steal a base or whatevee.

This is fantastic, and finally I think someone's sussed it out. I'm not being sarcastic. The typical "Freel can't start everyday" crap is tiresome, but I think this is right. Ryan does tend to swing at a lot of pitches he shouldn't when he's tired.

It would be a fellow West Virginian!

Cedric
05-07-2006, 03:03 AM
I think losing Aurilla is hurting. He gaves us some flexiblity. Griffey and Rich need to get back asap.

SteelSD
05-07-2006, 04:09 AM

It appears to me after watching Freel for the last few years that he tends to be impatient at the plate, but more so when he gets tired. And, whether we like it or not, his position at the top of the order means we depend on him to get on base and get the pitcher flustered, steal a base or whatever. He's not doing that lately. He's just not hitting (.237 after tonight's game) and if he doesn't get on base, the offense splutters somewhat.

Another factor is the cooling down of Brandon Phillips. He came out driving in runs left and right and now his poor plate discipline is also costing us. Tonight, we left 12 runners on base and Brandon left 5 of them. In April, he was always getting hits and driving in runs. He may be a streak hitter and like someone said, he was acquired for his defense (which he showed tonight), but he was a major part of the Reds' fast start.

Tomorrow is Sunday and that means Narron, true to form, will construct a lineup that is different. He needs to rest Freel, put Denorfia in center and pray we get double digit runs because Dave Williams is pitching :scared: .

And hope that Junior is back when we get home. With Phillips, Dunn, and Freel slumping, we need the offense.

The Reds didn't leave 12 Runners on Base tonight. The Reds had a grand total of only 8 baserunners total.

Every year we see one thing- folks don't properly anticipate regression to the mean. No way were the Reds going to score 900+ Runs this season, much less the 1000 Run pace they were putting up earlier. No way was Brandon Phillips going to produce a .850+ OPS over the long haul. No way is Scott Hatteberg a productive option at 1B. No way was Javier Valentin going to reproduce his 2005.

Ryan Freel is not an issue. Felipe Lopez is not an issue. Sucks to have two players slumping at the same time but that's the reality of baseball- particularly when the Manager is fooled into thinking that the best option at #5 is a guy who can't hit (Hatteberg) over the long haul. Also sucks to hit a run of pitchers who are actually pitching well. So it goes.

None of it is a surprise.

traderumor
05-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Hatteberg has 4 RBI and has hit 5 or 6 all season. That is stunning considering the production from EE and Phillips from the same or lower places in the order.

Chip R
05-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Every year we see one thing- folks don't properly anticipate regression to the mean. No way were the Reds going to score 900+ Runs this season, much less the 1000 Run pace they were putting up earlier. No way was Brandon Phillips going to produce a .850+ OPS over the long haul. No way is Scott Hatteberg a productive option at 1B. No way was Javier Valentin going to reproduce his 2005.

Ryan Freel is not an issue. Felipe Lopez is not an issue. Sucks to have two players slumping at the same time but that's the reality of baseball- particularly when the Manager is fooled into thinking that the best option at #5 is a guy who can't hit (Hatteberg) over the long haul. Also sucks to hit a run of pitchers who are actually pitching well. So it goes.

None of it is a surprise.

Yhat is it in a nutshell. Phillips is not going to get 17 RBIs every week. Freel is not going to get on base at a .450 clip all season. Arroyo was not going to go undefeated all year long. You want to complain about the loss of Aurilia? He was not going to start anyway with the string of righties they have been facing. The offense will come back. There is an off day on Monday then the Nats come to town. This team has bigger things to worry about besides the offense.

redsrule2500
05-07-2006, 01:48 PM
WHERE IS OUR OFFENSE?!?!
4 Hits last night?? This is starting to scare me...

KronoRed
05-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Hatteberg has 4 RBI and has hit 5 or 6 all season. That is stunning considering the production from EE and Phillips from the same or lower places in the order.
Reminds me of a 3 hitter from last year with the RBI total.

GAC
05-07-2006, 08:42 PM
WHERE IS OUR OFFENSE?!?!
4 Hits last night?? This is starting to scare me...

Then you'll be in a strait jacket by the All-Star break! :lol:

Too many fans today "hang" on every pitch, every A/B, and every loss.

I'm not comparing this team with the '75 Reds, but simply using them to illustrate a point about the game of baseball. I'm sure others could illustrate further examples.

The BRM was playing .500 ball in May and weren't clicking on all cylinders. Now whether due to the player shifts (Rose to 3B, Foster in LF), or in spite of them, the Reds went on to win 108 games -- the most in franchise history.

Teams, even the best ones, go through slumps. The true character of a team is shown on how they deal with them - do they break you, or do you fight your way out of it?

That is yet to be determined with this team due to some young players in key positions.

But don't take it so hard or personal. I'm as competitive as the next guy, but I've also gotten alot older, and have learned to relax and enjoy the game for what it is.

Hand wringing gets you no where. ;)

bucksfan
05-08-2006, 12:45 PM

Given that Hatteberg is getting on at a 40% rate speaks to the opportunistic nature of the RBI stat as well as his somewhat paltry slugging %.

reds44
05-09-2006, 08:45 PM
5 of last 8 games we have scored 3 runs or less

it has been MIA

looking like 6 of 9

WVRedsFan
05-09-2006, 09:02 PM
5 of last 8 games we have scored 3 runs or less

it has been MIA

looking like 6 of 9

Nah. Here are the reasons why:

1. It's Freel and Lopez in a slump, or
2. We can't score 9 runs every night, for crying out loud, or
3. We miss Aurilia, or
4. Phillips wasn't going to hit .343 forever, or
5. Place answer here...

Truth is, IMHO, when you have KGJ out of the lineup, you trade his production for Ryan Freel. Giff is a team leader whether anyone wants to believe it or not. His presence in the lineup is invaluable. This is a snapshot of what the Reds will look like when we deal him away.

BoydsOfSummer
05-09-2006, 09:34 PM
oops

KronoRed
05-09-2006, 09:47 PM
1. It's Freel and Lopez in a slump, or
2. We can't score 9 runs every night, for crying out loud, or
3. We miss Aurilia, or
4. Phillips wasn't going to hit .343 forever, or
5. Place answer here...

It's 1 2 and 4.

so 7 :D