PDA

View Full Version : Non-Special Edition of Original Star Wars Trilogy to be Released On DVD

KronoRed
05-04-2006, 03:08 AM
Finally!

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

Fans can look forward to a September filled with classic Star Wars nostalgia, led by the premiere of LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game and the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic Star Wars trilogy.
In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."

savafan
05-04-2006, 03:13 AM
Yes, no more Greedo shooting first!

This is proof that God loves me and wants me to be happy! :thumbup:

MrCinatit
05-04-2006, 07:08 AM
Finally, I can hide the polluted re-releases.
You knew this had to happen, though - I mean, it is obvious Lucas is not making enough money off this franchise :p:

Johnny Footstool
05-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Yes, Lucas' babies need a new pair of solid gold, diamond-encrusted shoes.

And I, being the nerd I am, will gladly contribute.

Dom Heffner
05-04-2006, 02:49 PM
I read this and thought of the Triumph the Insult Comic Dog bit at the Attack of the Clones premiere.

Good gracious, fellas, get a life. :)

KronoRed
05-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Finally, I can hide the polluted re-releases.

Sell em..or burn em and let the healing begin ;)

Johnny Footstool
05-04-2006, 03:27 PM
I read this and thought of the Triumph the Insult Comic Dog bit at the Attack of the Clones premiere.

Good gracious, fellas, get a life. :)

VADER: These buttons control my breathing aparatus.

TRIUMPH: Which of them calls your mom to come pick you up?

WMR
05-04-2006, 11:16 PM

[Triumph, to the only girl in attendance]: "How does it feel to be surrounded by all these guys knowing that not one of them would know how to have sex with you?"

Blimpie
05-05-2006, 08:39 AM
This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territoryYeah...right.

I'm sure there will be no plans for the mother-of-all-box-sets:

Episodes # 1-6 on DVD sold as one self-contained box set...Perfect Christmas gift, no?

KronoRed
05-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Of course.

Remember when they said that ep 4-6 would not be out on DVD before the other 3? wrong.

Never trust what Lucas says, he shall go where the cash is

Red Leader
05-05-2006, 03:02 PM
[Triumph, to the only girl in attendance]: "How does it feel to be surrounded by all these guys knowing that not one of them would know how to have sex with you?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That Triumph says some funny stuff. :thumbup:

deltachi8
05-05-2006, 05:18 PM
TRIUMPH: What substance was Han Solo frozen in?

CROWD: (gives correct answer)

TRIMUPH: NO, I'm sorry, the correct answer is Who gives a s....

Gandalf the Red
05-05-2006, 05:31 PM
The six-year-old in me who used to have epic lightsaber duels against his brother with empty rolls of Christmas wrapping paper wishes it felt more like a "Hey kids, sorry about taking my digital markers and writing all over your childhood memories. Here, I'll make it up to y'all with an ice cream cone."

But at $30 for each movie, that's a little pricey even for Graeter's. Oh well. Hopefully Amazon prices each of them at under $20.

Nevertheless, of course I'll happily scoop these dvds up in September even as I marvel at the Force chokehold the Bearded One continues to have on my wallet.

By the way, this seems like the appropriate thread to say something fearlessly geeky that I've been dying to say forever:

"Red Leader, we're right above you. Turn to point oh-five and we'll cover for you."

KronoRed
05-05-2006, 05:32 PM
"Red Leader, we're right above you. Turn to point oh-five and we'll cover for you."
Stay on target.

Gandalf the Red
05-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Stay on target.

Stormtrooper #1: "Have you seen that pitch Dave Williams calls a fastball?"

Stormtrooper #2: "Yeah, some of the guys on Redszone were talking about it. They say it's...quite the thing to see..."

Dom Heffner
05-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Ladies beware.

Falls City Beer
05-05-2006, 07:05 PM
I wonder if these editions will contain easter eggs of oft-rumored, seldom-seen giant Wookie turds.

WMR
05-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Got "The Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog" today on DVD. Only 10 bucks; all his best work; the best ten bucks I ever spent. Well except for that one time in Matamoros....