PDA

View Full Version : Let the Good Times Roll....

Eric_Davis
05-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Best record in baseball for the first time since 1992?

That's a Bengalesque type of streak.

Amazing what new ownership can do.

And didn't most of us say for years that Lindner was the one that needed to go?

What a great time to be a Bengals AND a REDS fan?

I know I'm going to enjoy the next few years.

Bengals: 2007 Super Bowl Champions...

REDS: 2007 World Series Champions.

TOBTTReds
05-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm a Browns fan, and we have hope this year too! :dancingco

Should be a good North race with the other team in there playing well.

Here's to Baltimore and their QB situation:beerme:

toledodan
05-05-2006, 12:47 AM
http://borgman.enquirer.com/img/daily/2003/08/080303borgman600x387.jpg

i'm glad we can burn this picture now!

KronoRed
05-05-2006, 12:52 AM
Cleansing fire burning :)

Krusty
05-05-2006, 10:40 AM
What is better than being a Reds fan? Being a member of the Steelers Nation.:thumbup:

westofyou
05-05-2006, 11:05 AM
What is better than being a Reds fan?

Nothing

traderumor
05-05-2006, 11:31 AM
What is better than being a Reds fan? Being a member of the Steelers Nation.:thumbup:And I used to like Santonio Holmes ;)

WebScorpion
05-05-2006, 12:08 PM
What is better than being a Reds fan?

Being a Reds fan AND a Bengals Fan!!

The weird part is that it looks like the NL Central in MLB and the AFC North in the NFL are both the toughest divisions in their respective leagues. My opinion is that it makes for better playoff teams...when you face the stiffest competition in the regular season, you have a better chance to go deeper into the post-season. :beerme:

RedsMan3203
05-05-2006, 12:22 PM
I hate to mix football talk and baseball talk for I have a strong passion for both.

I hate every living person who cheers for Pittsburgh. (its in my blood) I work retail and I see it all the time and I pretty mcuh have refused service to some fans... And they look at me stunned... I just cna't stand to deal with them...

As for being a Reds Fan and Browns Fan... It DRIVES ME NUTS! I don't understand it....

By the way... Go Reds, Go Bengals, Go Bucks, And a Cheer for UD, UC and X.

westofyou
05-05-2006, 12:25 PM
As for being a Reds Fan and Browns Fan... It DRIVES ME NUTS! I don't understand it....Before the Bengals came around the Browns were the team of Ohio and they were good.

Old habits die hard... why do folks become Reds fans these days?

I work retail and I see it all the time and I pretty mcuh have refused service to some fans.1/4 of a xanex can fix that.

registerthis
05-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Old habits die hard... why do folks become Reds fans these days?

Well, I can't speak for today's fans, but I became a Reds fan in the mid-80s back when there wasn't a whole heckuva lot to cheer about. One, I thought Eric Davis was the shiznit, and two the Reds radio affiliate in Columbus (1230 AM at that time--not sure if that's still the case) came in a lot clearer than the Indians one did. Plus, if the Reds were bad, the Tribe were absolutely godawful, so there was even less of a reason to become a tribe fan.

And then the Reds went and won the Series in 1990 and I sold my soul to them. What can you do?

KronoRed
05-05-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm a Reds and Jaguars fans

I'm rare :wave:

Heath
05-05-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm rare :wave:

I value my redszone.com membership too much to comment on the above.

:D

KronoRed
05-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Do it.

*readies the neg* :evil:

bucksfan
05-09-2006, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=RedsMan3203]As for being a Reds Fan and Browns Fan... It DRIVES ME NUTS! I don't understand it....

QUOTE]

I completely understand your frustration with the above, but let me try to help you see how it happened to me. I am/was a Reds/Browns fan. "Was" is probably more appropriate because I don't avidly follow any NFL team anymore post-Modell relocation plan.

But I WAS a big Browns fan at one point. And have always been a Reds fan. How did this happen? I guess it was just a product of where I grew up, when I grew up, and who I grew up with. I grew up in NW Ohio in the late 60's and early 70's. Reds were on the local radio station (WIMA in Lima) and the kitchen radio was tuned tuned to that station on on all of our waking moments. So the Reds thing was a given. It didn't hurt that the team was darn successful by the time that I became aware of the importance of winning!

So why not the Bengals too? This one's tougher, but I think the answer lies with my cousin who lived down the road being a Browns fan and my dad also following the Browns historically. He and Mom actually also followed the Indians "pre-me," but for the reasons stated above, the Reds swept into our household to stay when I came around. Anyhow, maybe due to the influence of the 2 people I watched the most sports with rom age 5-12 or the history of the franchise (Jim Brown and Otto Graham were the 1st pro football players I remember hearing about), I just took to the Browns. Not being from Cincinnati, I guess I just did not see necessarily a "city allegiance" kinda thing. And with the 2 teams in the same division, of course there was no middle ground so I ended up with a strong dislike for Ken Anderson, & Co.

I knew the Browns roster as well as any team I had ever followed. I would live and die with their games on Sunday, moreso than any other sport at that time (baseball had too many games to live and die with each one and I was just getting into college football). My dad used to get so frustrated with the Browns QB's (Phipps, then Sipe,...) that I could tell he had a passion for it (even though he wouldn't admit it).

Once baseball season started though, the Reds were at the forefront. I bnever hated the Indians however. My aforementioned cousin was a Tribe fan also (so he was at least logical, eh?), so I did follow them and generally hoped they did well. But the Reds were it. Our family rarely took big vacations, but we went to se the Reds for a weekend series every year in Cincinnati and once went to spring trining (when I was 11).

When the Browns left town, I was already in the stage of life where I needed to reconcile SOME portion of my sports watching time with the stuff of being a husband/homeowner/jobholder/etc. The Reds and by this time Buckeyes and college hoops and college football in general were not going to go, so Art helped me make an easy decision. After a year or so of no NFL, I actually tried to get into the Bengals. My radio was on WLW a lot anyway to catch Reds news/games, so I picked up a lot of what was going on with the Bengals anyway. So I tried but was hit with a mishmash of misgiving feelings ranging from "being a traitor" to "being an outsider" to the present situation of "jumping on the bandwagon".

So although I have yet to re-embrace the Browns (I still try to root for them) but adding "daddy" to the husband/homeowner/jobholder title now has reduced the time that I want to spend following sports a bit further. So I really don't have the desire to invest the time I feel is really necessary to be a good fan of a sports team right now. I mean, I really cannot call myself a Browns fan - I don;t even know 1/2 of the roster. I probably know more Bengals. And to me being a fan is really about following your team closely. And I just don't qualify on the NFL front. I'd probably try to "re-up" my fan-ship with the Browns if I could now that Davis is gone and the don;t seem to be treading water with the likes of Dilfer anymore. The NFL is entertaining to me still, but it is a more distant relationship, more like how one watches a movie or a play, than a passionate investment like it is with the Reds and Buckeyes for me. But I used to be one of those Browns-Reds fans, so I thought I'd try to share how it came about... ;)

redsmetz
05-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Bucksfan wrote:
So why not the Bengals too? This one's tougher, but I think the answer lies with my cousin who lived down the road being a Browns fan and my dad also following the Browns historically. He and Mom actually also followed the Indians "pre-me," but for the reasons stated above, the Reds swept into our household to stay when I came around. Anyhow, maybe due to the influence of the 2 people I watched the most sports with rom age 5-12 or the history of the franchise (Jim Brown and Otto Graham were the 1st pro football players I remember hearing about), I just took to the Browns. Not being from Cincinnati, I guess I just did not see necessarily a "city allegiance" kinda thing. And with the 2 teams in the same division, of course there was no middle ground so I ended up with a strong dislike for Ken Anderson, & Co.

I think with regards to the Reds/Browns split, much of it has to do with the Bengals not having begun their existance until 1968 and then in the AFL. At that point, the Browns were long established having played championship football since the late 40's and joining the NFL shortly thereafter. Even Cincinnati was Browns territory if you followed professional football. Of course, having Paul Brown as the Bengals coach and owner helped allay some of that, but I don't think the Bengals have been able to establish the same sort of territory as the Reds had. And, at that, the Reds are still reclaiming some of that territory too.

Joseph
05-09-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm sure this will catch some flak here, but I grew up a Reds fan, and a Bengals fan and almost consider those two to belong to Kentucky as much as Ohio. Being that I am from Kentucky, I also was a UK guy growing up, so there was a point in time when I was baffled to see Ohio State [yeah it's just another school no need for THE at the beginning ;) ] fans amongst Reds fans or Bengals fans because all my friends were Reds/Bengals and UK fans.

There are still times when I read posts on this very board about a player at Ohio State or with Cleveland [Browns or Cavs or Indians] and I'm pretty much of the opinion 'Who cares?' because they just don't seem to fit that little mold of the Reds/Bengals/UK that I formulated as a kid. To me [and I'm sure many others] the Ohio vs Michigan rivalry pales to UK vs UL. I'm aware thats blasphamy to some, but thats the way the world works.

All the people that are fans of one of my teams aren't necessarily fans of the rest of my teams. At one game we might be cheering on the same sideline, while at the next game we might be tearing out each others throats.

The only thing I care about is that we are all Reds fans here [a few not withstanding] and that we all want THIS team to do its best. We can argue the other sports at other times and at other forums, but here we are the Reds fans and thats all that really matters.

BoydsOfSummer
05-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Woof!