PDA

View Full Version : Hunt or be hunted?

Chip R
05-05-2006, 04:23 PM
I know it's only May but already visions of postseason play are dancing in our heads. Right now we're a half-game up on HOU. Now the Reds have been in races before and it's all good but my question to you is would you rather be the team in 1st place during the race or would you rather be hanging around in 2nd and being the team doing the hunting?

Now there are advantages and disadvantages to both. When you're in 1st the presure is on you to keep winning and you're always looking over your shoulder. You run the risk of being labeled a choker if you blow it. But as long as you keep winning, they can't take 1st place away from you. Some teams play better with that pressure. When you are the team doing the hunting, the pressure is off somewhat. The other team is worried about you making a run. But even if you win, you may not end up in 1st if the team ahead of you keeps winning. You also don't have a lot of room for error. If you lose a player to injury or the team goes into a collective slump, if you start losing, the ground becomes tougher to make up. Personally, I'd rather be the hunter. Just hang around in 2nd and then come on with a burst at the end.

zombie-a-go-go
05-05-2006, 04:25 PM
It's more exciting to be the hunter.

And you'd have something in common with Bjork, too, which ain't no bad thing.

savafan
05-05-2006, 04:39 PM
I'd rather be in first. Watching these guys play, they don't look like they feel the pressure.

Quit your yellin', they're gellin'. :D

Okay, that was bad, go ahead and neg me.

WebScorpion
05-05-2006, 04:41 PM
All things considered, I'd rather be in first place. :thumbup:

traderumor
05-05-2006, 05:16 PM
I remember a few pennant races where the Reds were doing the chasing and it is very frustrating when the other team keeps on winning. I remember the frustration as a young lad (sounding like Peterman on Seinfeld now :) ) in 1974 when we just could not catch the Dodgers because they always seemed to touche our wins, or if they lost ahead of us, we would drop the game also. From memories of 1990, it was nice after the years of second place finishes to be looking down at everyone from the standings.

So I guess that's one vote for hunted, with the old "controlling your own destiny" cliche in mind.

Johnny Footstool
05-05-2006, 05:21 PM
It's better to be in first and let the other guys chase you.

KronoRed
05-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Nowhere to go but...wait nevermind :D

paintmered
05-05-2006, 05:33 PM
It's better to have the lead than to need it.

traderumor
05-05-2006, 05:35 PM
It's better to be in first and let the other guys chase you.
Especially if both of you have gas :devil:

I got that from a fortune cookie.

RedFanAlways1966
05-05-2006, 08:08 PM
I think some famous American named P-Henry (or was it P-Diddy?!?) said, "Give me 1st place or give me death..."

I'll take the lead everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. Having your own fate in your own hands each and every night is the way to have it.

savafan
05-05-2006, 08:51 PM
I think some famous American named P-Henry (or was it P-Diddy?!?) said, "Give me 1st place or give me death..."

It was P-Henry. I'm sure you were just confused because P-Diddy achieved fame for standing behind P-Henry and dancing when the famous quote was uttered.

KronoRed
05-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Especially if both of you have gas :devil:

I got that from a fortune cookie.
I like honesty from cookies.

GAC
05-06-2006, 09:55 PM
We're in 1st place chasing the Astros and Cards! ;)

Mario-Rijo
05-06-2006, 11:58 PM
I'd just be fine with being in the hunt right now! It matters not where we are within the thing, just that we are in the thick of it.

MattyHo4Life
05-07-2006, 09:05 AM
I'd always take being hunted over being the hunter. It's always best to be in 1st place. It looks like a 3 way now. :)

Unassisted
05-07-2006, 09:10 PM
The Spurs' Michael Finley was asked this question about a month ago. He spent the last few seasons with the Dallas Mavericks and was signed by the champs last summer after Dallas chose not to re-sign him. As is typical, the Spurs led their division most of the season, with Dallas grabbing the lead for a day or two a couple of times. Michael was emphatic that it is better to be the team that spends most of its time in first place because you don't have to worry about what any other team is doing when you're in first. :thumbup: