PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your salsa/which salsa is the best?

max venable
05-05-2006, 10:12 PM
How do you like your salsa?

And...which is your favorite restaurant salsa? Which is your favorite store-bought salsa?

GIK
05-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Medium-Hot for me.

I went to On the Border today with a few guys from work and, IMO, the salsa was good.

savafan
05-05-2006, 10:52 PM
I voted hot, but sometimes I like flaming hot too. For me, usually the hotter the better. I don't really know what restaurant or brand is the best.

Joseph
05-05-2006, 11:38 PM
I like mine from New York City.

KittyDuran
05-05-2006, 11:43 PM
I like mine from New York City.:laugh:

KittyDuran
05-05-2006, 11:45 PM
I put medium - but it can vary from the brands. Store bought would be Chi-Chi's. Restaurant brand is Margarita's with a honorable mention to Don Pablos.

max venable
05-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I like Don Pablo's too. We have a local Mexican outfit where I live who's salsa is second to none, IMO.

Also, I prefer my salsa to be NOT chunky...and with a little kick to it.

reds1869
05-06-2006, 10:52 AM
I like mine hot. The best restaraunt salsa I have ever had is from a family joint in Columbus called El Rayo. Unfortunately it is inocsistent and you are at the mercy of that day's prep cook. Most big chains do not have very good salsa--it's too sweet and "Americanized." If I had to choose a chain salsa I would go with Abuelos.

If you live in Cincinnati/Dayton, go to Jungle Jim's on Rt. 4 in Fairfield. They have any kind of salsa you could imagine. My favorite is Ohio's own Jose Madrid XXX Hot. I got hooked on it when I live in Columbus. Just about anything by Jose Madrid is great. Another Columbus company, Montezuma, also makes killer hot salsa.

creek14
05-06-2006, 11:38 AM
I make my own with chipotle seasoning I get (from all places) Tupperware. The must put cocaine or something in it, cause it's addicting. People beg me to "bring that salsa you make".

Store bought? I like it with a little kick. If it ain't warm, it's just lumpy ketsup.

westofyou
05-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Trader Joes Red for the quick fix, otherwise my own

1 onion
4 cloves of Garlic
1/2 a lime or lemon
2 tomatos
cilantro
jalepenos
vinager
garlic powder
touch of cumin
salt/pepper
hot sauce to taste.

I like my head to sweat after I eat it, slightly not alot.

TeamCasey
05-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Newman's Own makes the best.

I like it Hot, but not so flaming that you can't taste the other components.

deltachi8
05-06-2006, 11:48 AM
The hotter the better is usually the rule with me as long as it also has good flavor (or flavour as I write this from Canada) to it.

I came across a pineapple salsa on some cooking show one night and adapted it to my tatstes and love it. Fresh pineapple, red onion, sweet red pepper, a hot pepper to your liking (jalapeno, caynenne, etc -I use a habanero), kosher salt, garlic, a dash of cumin and lime juice. if i remember Ill add either mint or cilantro. great blend of sweet and heat. Serve with chips, over grilled chicken or pork or evenover ice cream (seriously its excellent).

Yachtzee
05-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Trader Joes Red for the quick fix, otherwise my own

1 onion
4 cloves of Garlic
1/2 a lime or lemon
2 tomatos
cilantro
jalepenos
vinager
garlic powder
touch of cumin
salt/pepper
hot sauce to taste.

I like my head to sweat after I eat it, slightly not alot.

I'll have to try that one sometime.

I like the salsa choices they have at Chipotle, depending on what mood I'm in I might go Corn or Green Tomatillo, sometimes hot. Taco Tonto's in Kent has some excellent milder salsa for my wife and those who can't take too much heat in their food.

max venable
05-06-2006, 12:25 PM
My favorite is Ohio's own Jose Madrid XXX Hot. I got hooked on it when I live in Columbus. Just about anything by Jose Madrid is great.

Yes! Jose Madrid! Two thumbs way up! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Unassisted
05-07-2006, 03:53 PM
I have to agree with the sentiment at http://www.bestsalsaintheworld.com/, although I like all 3 kinds of salsa that La Fogata sells.

TRF
05-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Ohio has Salsa?

excuse me while I snicker.

Roy Tucker
05-08-2006, 11:00 AM
I'll second Trader Joe's. It's some good stuff.

We also get Desert Peppers. I like the black beans and corn mixed in.

Moe's has a salsa bar where I mix my own up.

But I'm awfully partial to my homemade. The recipe looks a lot like woy's, but usually depends on what's in the fridge the day I make it.

max venable
05-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Ohio has Salsa?

excuse me while I snicker.
Yeah...Ohio...what does Ohio know about growing TOMATOES?!?!

Of course, Ohio has salsa! And it's DANG GOOD! What, you think Texas has the market cornered? :rolleyes:

traderumor
05-08-2006, 05:56 PM
My own. One or two cans of diced tomatoes w/ chillis (jalepenos are too sweet), one small can of mexican tomato sauce, garlic powder, chili powder, onion salt/powder, salt & black pepper.

Canned tomatoes? Around these parts, finding salsa worthy tomatoes is not worth the bother. Most of the tomatoes you buy around here are dry and lacking flavor.

Roy Tucker
05-09-2006, 09:13 AM
All of my salsa is made with home-grown tomatoes.

We make gallons of the stuff in the August-September tomato glut. Every so often, I find 2-3 yr. old salsa buried in the freezer. We freeze it flat in zip-loc bags.

TRF
05-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Yeah...Ohio...what does Ohio know about growing TOMATOES?!?!

Of course, Ohio has salsa! And it's DANG GOOD! What, you think Texas has the market cornered? :rolleyes:

Yes.

we do. :D I mean it's not like I'd claim Texas has the best Polish Sausage.

Actually New Mexico probably has the best salsa. You should try ordering Chiles from Hatch, New Mexico sometime.

rdiersin
05-09-2006, 11:05 AM
I prefer my own, which for tomato salsa is similar to WOYs, except I am thinking about roasting the garlic from now on. Lately it seems to me that the raw garlic flavor covers up the heat and goodness of the chilis. I also like a similar recipe but with roasted tomatillos instead of tomatoes and then blending with a couple or more of serrano chilis, onion, garlic. I am going to try it with chili de arbol soon.

If I buy it in a store I like the Jack's salsa, I can't remember which specific one, but I think its the garden salsa. I think I go with the medium-hot. The hot's ok too as is plain medium. Haven't

minus5
05-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Yes.

we do. :D I mean it's not like I'd claim Texas has the best Polish Sausage.

Actually New Mexico probably has the best salsa. You should try ordering Chiles from Hatch, New Mexico sometime.

And Northern KY has a pretty large hispanic population these days...I'm pretty sure they have a recipe or two for salsa.;)

marcshoe
05-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Newman's Own makes the best.

I like it Hot, but not so flaming that you can't taste the other components.

I have some Newman's Own in the fridge right now. I also like a locally produced brand that I can't think of the name of. Fresh with a lot of tomatoes.

Rojo
05-16-2006, 02:27 AM
How times have changed. My aunts from Georgia came visited my family in San Diego in the late 70's and couldn't pronounce "burrito". "Is that like a hot tamale?"

dman
05-16-2006, 07:24 AM
As far as store bought brands, I prefer Tostito's brand hot flavored.

Roy Tucker
05-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Actually, like pizza and sex, even when salsa isn't very good, it's still pretty good. I don't think I've ever had salsa I couldn't eat. Some is better than others, but it's all mostly edible.

TRF
05-16-2006, 11:03 AM
And Northern KY has a pretty large hispanic population these days...I'm pretty sure they have a recipe or two for salsa.;)

Really? I didn't know that. In Texas it is predicted those of Mexican descent will be the majority within 10 years.

I imagine Kentucky's hispanic populations is more of an island hispanic: P.R., D.R., Cuba etc. I prefer the Tex/Mex southwest style myself. Hatch NM rocks.

westofyou
05-16-2006, 11:49 AM
I imagine Kentucky's hispanic populations is more of an island hispanic: P.R., D.R., Cuba etc. I prefer the Tex/Mex southwest style myself. Hatch NM rocks.Nope, Mexican, El Salvador.. the midwest and south has many areas that are more affordable than the usual coastal and border state cites, therefore there are more hispanics by a large margin compared to 10 years ago.

Now that we are branching out into the salsa makeup by the states of mexico I'll say that I prefer Oaxacan salsa over most.

Hoosier Red
05-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Since we're talking about Mexican food.

I have to give a big recomendation to anyone who lives in Indianapolis for Adobo,
The place is amazing, and they make the margaritas and guacamole right at your table. Best stuff you'll have ever tasted. Trust me.

Hijack over.

TRF
05-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Nope, Mexican, El Salvador.. the midwest and south has many areas that are more affordable than the usual coastal and border state cites, therefore there are more hispanics by a large margin compared to 10 years ago.

Now that we are branching out into the salsa makeup by the states of mexico I'll say that I prefer Oaxacan salsa over most.

I was looking at the census numbers. I guess it depends on your definition of large. 60,000 compared to 6,000,000. 100 times more hispanics in Texas.

Larger population = more restaurants = better Mexican food.

I am so hungry right now.

westofyou
05-16-2006, 01:37 PM
I was looking at the census numbers. I guess it depends on your definition of large. 60,000 compared to 6,000,000. 100 times more hispanics in Texas.Well having lived in California I agree, but having gone to Ohio every year over the past 26 years I'm going to say it's now significant enough to note with your eyes.

minus5
05-16-2006, 01:38 PM
I wasn't saying it was going to be better here than in Texas just that there is plenty of authentic Mexican food here. We don't have to resort to Don Pablo's or Taco Bell. Now I'm hungry too.

TRF
05-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Well having lived in California I agree, but having gone to Ohio every year over the past 26 years I'm going to say it's now significant enough to note with your eyes.

I haven't been back in a couple of years. I was hoping to go this summer, but $3 a gallon makes that unlikely.

I wasn't saying it was going to be better here than in Texas just that there is plenty of authentic Mexican food here. We don't have to resort to Don Pablo's or Taco Bell. Now I'm hungry too.

Now this I agree with. My sister-in-law was raving about a Mexican restaurant in Topeka, Kansas.

awful, awful, awful.

need food... badly. stupid online php training keeping me from going to lunch.

registerthis
05-16-2006, 03:09 PM
My grandfather used to make some great salsa...thing is, he never knew the recipe. You'd ask him waht was in it, and his reply would be "whatever I was able to get out of the garden." I think he was serious.

Unfortunately, when he passed, his salsa recipe went with him.

EDIT: BTW, there is a company in Ohio called "Jose Madrid" that makes some excellent salsa. It's a Latino family that makes it, I think. Anyway, they sell it at their shop in the North Market. They also come out here to DC and sell it at the Sugarloaf craft festival.

registerthis
05-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Now this I agree with. My sister-in-law was raving about a Mexican restaurant in Topeka, Kansas.

Casa Bonita? Do they still have those out west?

TRF
05-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Casa Bonita? Do they still have those out west?

Seemed to not be a chain. Which made it worse IMO.

WebScorpion
05-17-2006, 01:42 PM
I put medium - but it can vary from the brands. Store bought would be Chi-Chi's. Restaurant brand is Margarita's with a honorable mention to Don Pablos.

Is Margarita's a chain? I just recently had their salsa and it was great! I was in New Hampshire...I thought it was an odd place to find good salsa. :help:

edit: I just looked them up and they only exist in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. ...the name is Tio Juan's Margaritas Mexican Restaurant and Watering Hole. Regardless, they have some incredible salsa.

max venable
05-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Looks like the Redszone prefers it hot. And who, by the way, does not like salsa? That's un-American!

edabbs44
05-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Tostitos brand Salsa con Queso is legit.