PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, what doesn't Wal-Mart have?

WVRed
05-05-2006, 11:19 PM
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/14503852.htm?source=rss&channel=inquirer_nation

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT - news) will start selling build-your-own-computer components in more than one-third of its U.S. discount stores this month as it looks for ways to tempt shoppers to buy more than just low-margin food.
ADVERTISEMENT
[-105216]

Wal-Mart currently offers only prepackaged bundles of personal computers and accessories in most of its stores. With the build-your-own-computer counters, shoppers can choose between several different components.

Such components include central processing units -- the brain of the computer that powers its basic functions -- as well as monitors, keyboards and mice that customers can combine to create customized packages they can load in a shopping cart and take home right away.

The retailer began testing build-your-own computer counters in about 20 locations last year, and is now introducing them in 1,200 of its 3,200 U.S. discount stores, spokeswoman Jolanda Stewart told Reuters.

It expects to offer the merchandise in some 1,400 stores by the end of the year, and possibly more in 2007.

Wal-Mart's entry into a category can raise alarms because the retailer's persistent price-cutting pressures competitors' profit margins. It has been blamed for bankruptcies in sectors ranging from groceries and toys.

But analysts said it was unlikely that Wal-Mart would pose much of a threat to the likes of Dell Inc. (Nasdaq:DELL - news), which mastered the made-to-order computer model and offers a much wider selection. They also noted that Dell makes most of its money selling computers to businesses rather than individuals.

Wal-Mart, the world's biggest retailer, is the No. 1 seller of products ranging from dog food to diamonds, but it has not managed to gain as much market share in computers. Wal-Mart made a big splash last November when it sold laptop computers for $398 on the day after Thanksgiving, however.

Forrester Research analyst Ted Schadler, who follows the consumer technology sector, said Wal-Mart has the potential to become a key destination for computer shoppers.

"People buy on price," he said. "If Wal-Mart is competitive on price -- which of course it will be -- it's easy for Wal-Mart to be a destination."

Wal-Mart has been adding more upscale merchandise such as flat-panel televisions and fashionable clothing in the hope of getting customers to buy more than just food and commodity items, which carry low profit margins.

05-05-2006, 11:24 PM
The concern for the American laborer.

gonelong
05-05-2006, 11:40 PM
In a hundred years people will refer to being ruined as "getting Wal Marted".

And the next person I hear saying they are shopping at "Wal Marts" is going to need some dental work.

GL

Red in Chicago
05-06-2006, 12:34 AM
i'll take target anytime over walmart...i hate that place...even dumped my sam's membership about 3 years ago for one from costco...damn, i love costco

westofyou
05-06-2006, 01:19 AM
Me as a customer.

Hollcat
05-06-2006, 02:30 AM
In a hundred years people will refer to being ruined as "getting Wal Marted".

And the next person I hear saying they are shopping at "Wal Marts" is going to need some dental work.

GL
If you hear someone refer to it as Wal-mark :bang: pleas give them the same for me

KronoRed
05-06-2006, 02:32 AM
I've built quite a few computers and know what companies parts to avoid, I'm thinking those are the companies wally world will be offering ;)

savafan
05-06-2006, 02:52 AM
I've built quite a few computers and know what companies parts to avoid, I'm thinking those are the companies wally world will be offering ;)

And probably the company I used to work for. When I left there way back in 2000, they had started laying the ground work for this. I look forward to seeing the names Tiger Direct, PowerUp PC, Global, Midwest Micro, Systemax or whatever name they may be using now on products inside Wal-Mart in the near future.

GAC
05-06-2006, 06:51 AM
WE spend about $200/weekly at SuperWalmart. They offer the best variety/prices/deals compared to anyone around us locally. We live in a small-to-mid sized town.

I'm suppose to boycott them and pay higher prices when the other stores are not doing any better by their employees?

That's not gonna happen. ;)

RedsBaron
05-06-2006, 08:27 AM
i'll take target anytime over walmart...i hate that place...even dumped my sam's membership about 3 years ago for one from costco...damn, i love costco
Why Target over Wal-Mart (we don't have Costco where I live)? Target and Wal-Mart appear to me to sell the same stuff, only Target's goods usually cost just a little more, and Target's customer service is worse than Wal-Mart. I'm not a Wal-Mart booster, but I have heard other people damn Wal-Mart and praise Target, and I have never understood why, unless it is some sort of Hertz and Avis type of thing.

WVRed
05-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Why Target over Wal-Mart (we don't have Costco where I live)? Target and Wal-Mart appear to me to sell the same stuff, only Target's goods usually cost just a little more, and Target's customer service is worse than Wal-Mart. I'm not a Wal-Mart booster, but I have heard other people damn Wal-Mart and praise Target, and I have never understood why, unless it is some sort of Hertz and Avis type of thing.

Target is usually a cleaner store. The products are higher than Wal-Mart, but they are supposedly better.

If I need groceries, I generally shop across the river at Giant Eagle. They have a better grocery selection than Wal-Mart. It is more expensive, but some of the stuff you find there you won't find anywhere else. Plus you save money on gas.:)

TeamCasey
05-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Target has a smaller selection and I think a higher quality selection. It doesn't have the feel of a discount store.

For example, I found some great toys there at Christmas that the other stores didn't have. They had a large science and National Geographic toy area.

Red in Chicago
05-06-2006, 10:19 AM

some say the quality is better, but i really only buy snack foods and cleaning supplies there...in my neighborhood, the stores are definately cleaner and waaayyy less crowded. i just don't feel like waiting in line for an hour at walmart...i give them credit, they are always packed, whereas target is not...that's my number 1 reason for going to target...

Red in Chicago
05-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Me as a customer.

this really made me laugh this morning...priceless:D

max venable
05-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Clean restrooms?

Tommyjohn25
05-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Good service? Trained employees? Those are a couple of things that comes to mind. I also hate the fact that people that shop there all seem to know each other and congregate right in the middle of the aisles, when people like me (typical guy shopper who just wants to walk in, get what he came for, and leave) can't get through the masses. Oh...and they lost me as a customer when I needed a new softball glove, and the one next to me informed me that they took all the baseball/softball stuff down for the hunting stuff....in August.

creek14
05-06-2006, 11:34 AM
What WOY said.

RedsBaron
05-06-2006, 11:38 AM
I also hate the fact that people that shop there all seem to know each other and congregate right in the middle of the aisles, when people like me (typical guy shopper who just wants to walk in, get what he came for, and leave) can't get through the masses.
There is a lot of truth in that comment. However, while it wasn't the point Tommy was making, it did remind me of the statement Yogi Berra reportedly made about a restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."

deltachi8
05-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Lets see, if they would have my favorite salt free pretzles, i would like it better.

I shop there when its cheaper, if its not, I go elsewhere. I follow the basic rule, whereever I can spend the least of my limited resources is where I shop. I honestly find no difference in servce between tarmart, walget, super k something and insert name of grocery chain here.

My new favorite place is a local produce store that has the best prices on many things.

deltachi8
05-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Clean restrooms?

in my best dad voice..."can't you hold it?"

paintmered
05-06-2006, 12:59 PM
And probably the company I used to work for. When I left there way back in 2000, they had started laying the ground work for this. I look forward to seeing the names Tiger Direct, PowerUp PC, Global, Midwest Micro, Systemax or whatever name they may be using now on products inside Wal-Mart in the near future.

Yeah that stuff is cheap (I've been to systemax many times) but in their defense, my parents bought a Midwest Micro PC in 1999 and it still runs great.

Edit: I'm still willing to bet there will be better deals and higher quality found on newegg than walmart.

KronoRed
05-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Edit: I'm still willing to bet there will be better deals and higher quality found on newegg than walmart.
Of course, Wallymart will be selling the cheap stuff at the high prices and the good quality stuff won't be found.

Hail Newegg:D

WVRed
05-06-2006, 09:13 PM
some say the quality is better, but i really only buy snack foods and cleaning supplies there...in my neighborhood, the stores are definately cleaner and waaayyy less crowded. i just don't feel like waiting in line for an hour at walmart...i give them credit, they are always packed, whereas target is not...that's my number 1 reason for going to target...

If you know how to work the self-checkout, you can save yourself a whole lot of time waiting in line.

The biggest problem I have with Wal-Mart isnt waiting in line, its parking. Sometimes it feels like im having to walk from K-Mart(which is right across the street) just to get to Wally World.

saboforthird
05-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Large enough selection of eyewear (glasses).

GAC
05-07-2006, 07:16 AM
Clean restrooms?

Who dirty's them? ;)

That's like at work the employees complain about the breakroom and cafeteria messes.... yet all the trash that is sitting around came from them.

And why can't people flush a toliet???

Do they do this stuff at home too?

The Super WalMart here has pretty clean restrooms. I've never had a problem with them.

05-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Most of the Wal-Marts I have been in seem to determine the width of the cart, and then put up some display in the aisle that leaves enough space on each side the width od a cart plus about 1/4 inch.

Falls City Beer
05-07-2006, 12:00 PM
When I think of Wal-Mart I think of one thing: dirty diapers lying on the pavement of the parking lot. That about sums it up for me.

WVRed
05-07-2006, 02:01 PM
When I think of Wal-Mart I think of one thing: dirty diapers lying on the pavement of the parking lot. That about sums it up for me.

Like Rodney Carrington said, take diapers back to Wal-Mart. "These diapers already got poop in them". "We're real sorry about that, run back and get you another package."

StillFunkyB
05-07-2006, 03:30 PM
If you are buying your computer parts from Wal-Mart, and not The Egg, than you deserve the headaches that are assured to follow.

Rediculous.

Computer "accessories" I have purchased at Wal-Mart:
Compressed Air
Compressed Air
Lexmark Printer/Scanner (hey, I needed one cheap for travel)
Compressed Air
Ink
Compressed Air

max venable
05-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Who dirty's them? ;)

Do they do this stuff at home too?

Even at home, if I never cleaned my restroom...it would get pretty disgusting after a while.

I despise all public restrooms.