PDA

View Full Version : Wilson setback

steig
05-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Found this on the Enquirer website. I would be more disappointed had Williams not had a good start out last time. Let's hope Williams can continue to step it up so we are desperate for Wilson to get back.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060506/SPT04/605060348/1071

Wilson suffers rehab setback
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

PHOENIX - The news that Paul Wilson's rehab has been derailed by shoulder fatigue would have been fairly devastating to the Reds the last couple of years.

Though the Reds would love to have Wilson back, they've gotten along well without him so far this year.

Going into Friday night's game against the Arizona Diamondbacks, Reds starters were 8-2 with a 2.40 ERA over their last 11 games. They had thrown two complete games in that span - equaling last year's total for the year.
ADVERTISEMENT

Overall, the starters were 16-8 with a 4.45 ERA. Last year, the starters were 47-69 with a 5.38 ERA - worst in the National League.

The addition of Bronson Arroyo seems to have had a trickle-down affect.

"That's part of it," pitching coach Tom Hume said. "Success is contagious."

Hume also thinks the confidence manager Jerry Narron has shown in the starters is part of it, too.

"We're letting them go deeper into the game," Hume said. "It's something Jerry and I have talked about. They're not looking over their shoulder when they get a guy on base."

Going into Friday, all five pitchers in the starting rotation had made a quality start their last time out.

Friday's starter - Elizardo Ramirez - probably will be the odd man out when Eric Milton returns to the rotation.

It was going to be a tough call as to who goes when Wilson returned.

But after Friday's news about Wilson, that is a long way off. Wilson, who is rehabbing from shoulder surgery, was going to make three more starts at Triple-A Louisville.

When he had a case of shoulder fatigue in spring training, the club shut him down for two weeks.

If that's the case this time, it's hard to imagine him coming back until at least the All-Star break.

One thing you won't get is a timetable for his return.

"I think the worst thing you can do is put a timetable on it," Narron said.

RedLegSuperStar
05-06-2006, 11:14 AM
what a story.. just unfortunate DanO and the gang knew Wilson was hurt and threw the extention and money Wilsons way none the less.

GAC
05-06-2006, 11:23 AM
R-E-T-I-R-E

It's over Paul.

ThatsAStrike
05-06-2006, 11:57 AM
What a shame. I'm not sure why, but I've pulled for Wilson ever since he became a Red. I'd love to see him come back and pitch well, but it's not looking good.

steig
05-06-2006, 12:47 PM
To me, this is just the story of a sad career. He came up with the mets having so much potential and the future of the mets was bright with Wilson, Pulsipher, and Isringhausen. They all came down with series arm injuries. I even played baseball with a guy who was a left handed closer throwing in the 95-98 range for the mets when he completely ripped his elbow to shreds in triple A and retired. It just seems like these guys are paying for an organization that didn't know how to train pitchers and help them keep their arms in shape.

Jr's Boy
05-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Throw in the towel.

Team Clark
05-06-2006, 02:23 PM
The "fatigue" story is a cover up for his lack of velocity. It's difficult to throw 90 pitches back to back outings and then claim "fatigue". If you rarm was that tired you would not be able to get to 75 pitches. Fact is 80-82 MPH doesn't cut it. He's been throwing 77-82 MPH since the start of spring training.

2001MUgrad
05-06-2006, 02:41 PM
I hope we at least took out insurance on the guy.

KronoRed
05-06-2006, 03:59 PM
I hope we at least took out insurance on the guy.
Doubt it, nobody would insure a contract for a pitcher who was already hurt :bang:

RedFanAlways1966
05-06-2006, 04:01 PM
It just seems like these guys are paying for an organization that didn't know how to train pitchers and help them keep their arms in shape.

Didn't the Mets have a minor-league drug problem (not steroids) as well not too long ago? Makes you wonder about the organization...

pedro
05-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Almost all of baseball had a cocaine problem in the late 70's early/mid eighties.

RedFanAlways1966
05-06-2006, 04:10 PM
I cannot reacll exactly, but I am thinking this was about 5 years ago. Seems as though some party-girls or something went public with photos of a bunch Mets minor leaguers taking bong hits.

Just want to be clear that I am not trying to start any rumors! But I am pretty confident that it happened in the Mets system. Perhaps I have short-term-memory-loss?!?! ;)

BCubb2003
05-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I cannot reacll exactly, but I am thinking this was about 5 years ago. Seems as though some party-girls or something went public with photos of a bunch Mets minor leaguers taking bong hits.

Just want to be clear that I am not trying to start any rumors! But I am pretty confident that it happened in the Mets system. Perhaps I have short-term-memory-loss?!?! ;)

That was Grant Roberts. Then there was Mark Corey's seizure. And the peanut butter jar rumors at the big-league level.

RedFanAlways1966
05-06-2006, 04:31 PM
That was Grant Roberts. Then there was Mark Corey's seizure. And the peanut butter jar rumors at the big-league level.

You are correct, sir! I was searching Google for it...

www.hempevolution.org/media/ny_daily_news/nydn030503.htm

The Mets had an especially embarrassing series of episodes last season (2002), starting with pitcher Mark Corey's seizure after he smoked marijuana with Tony Tarasco. Later in the season an article in Newsday said there was rampant use in the team's system, showing a 1998 photo of pitcher Grant Roberts with a bong. The Mets vehemently denied the charge, but the damage was done. Just the appearance of a problem turned a poor season into a joke that no one in the organization found funny, possibly even costing manager Bobby Valentine his job.

Owner Fred Wilpon has ordered his employees not to discuss the subject.

captainmorgan07
05-06-2006, 04:33 PM
paul needs to retire and hang it up to many arm problems that will just keep recurring

westofyou
05-06-2006, 05:47 PM
It just seems like these guys are paying for an organization that didn't know how to train pitchers and help them keep their arms in shape.

You mean just like the Reds?

The Baumer
05-06-2006, 05:53 PM
The Reds suck!!!

traderumor
05-06-2006, 06:00 PM
The Reds suck!!!Hey, its still early, buckaroo, but hang in there. I'm sure that will be in the running for post of the year.

Dunner44
05-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Why does everyone rip on Wilson? It seems the name of the game is rip on injured players. I for one am happy Wilson is still trying to make a comeback. We have to pay him, so you might as well pull for him to do well. The fact that Paul keeps trying to come back from all these injuries that have had the potential to be career ending tell me he still loves the game, which is all I can ask for out of a guy. He's going to get paid no matter what, so you might as well wish him well!!!!

remdog
05-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Good luck to Paul but, personally, I've never thought of him contributing anything at all to this years' team. If he did, it would just be a bonus.

Rem

LINEDRIVER
05-06-2006, 11:30 PM
I wasn't expecting any kind of positive contribution to the Reds' pitching staff from Wagner this season or any future season. Er,uh, I mean Wilson. (Gee, that must of been a Freudian slip)

Dunner44
05-07-2006, 11:27 AM
From the horse's mouth (via the Enquirer):

Pitcher Paul Wilson did not pick up a ball for the second straight day Saturday.

Mann said Wilson will be kept from throwing for at least another day or two.

Wilson was scratched from his rehab start scheduled for today because of shoulder fatigue.

"We want to give it a chance to rest," Mann said. "We think the fatigue might be why his velocity wasn't where it needs to be."

membengal
05-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Right. "Fatigue". That's it. Good thinking.

For the record, my velocity isn't back yet either. I still can only get it up to around 53, and that is with 20 years of rest on it now...