PDA

View Full Version : We Miss Junior

reds44
05-07-2006, 12:30 AM
This team missed Junior alot more then people think. People who were actually 'afraid' of him coming back and messing up the teams mo-jo were so far off it isn't even funny.

With Freel and Felipe (athough Felipe has been playing better the last few days) Griffey would be key. You put him in his third spot, he would get on base alot, and even drive himself in. He would make the lineup round out with him-Dunn-EE heart of the lineup (3 of the toughest outs in the game right now).

It would also round out the lineup much better. Yes he is only 1 player, but look at the difference.

Instead of
Freel
Lopez
Dunn
EE
Hatteberg
Kearns
BP
Catcher

it goes to

Freel
Lopez
Griffey
Dunn
EE
Hatteberg
Kearns
Catcher

BP got off to a fantastic start, but nobody expects him to keep this up. He has a good glove and that is why he was brought here. With Jr-Dunn-EE getting on base all the time the 6-7 spots are the money RBI sports in the lineup. Kearns and Hat are two guys who put the ball in play (Hat) and drive in runs (Ears).

also look what it does to your bench.

Ryan Freel is a pretty good player, but the fact of the matter is with the way he plays he needs off days. Compare how he played earlier in the year with the log jam at 2B, compared to how he is now as the everyday CFer. They are opposites.

When Freel needs an off day he has a more then capable backup in BP. Also when he isn't locked into CF everyday he can still play all the other positions. Instead of having to play McCracken when the CFer or Kearns needs an off day, you can play Freel in those spots.

Not to mention the guy has 500 HR. I know we all complain about his range (or lack there of) but the fact of the matter is, this team is missing Kenneth Griffey Junior.

Hopefully he is waiting for us back home and will be ready to go early this week.

TheBigLebowski
05-07-2006, 12:46 AM
Any member of Reds management who creates a plan for this franchise and does not create a very workable contingency plan for when (WHEN - not "if") Griffey gets hurt needs to fired immediately.

Quality replacements for Griffey are necessary. The fact that we had quality backups for JR contributed greatly to our unexpected 20-11 start.

harangatang
05-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Taking BP out of this lineup is absolutely absurd. Sure he has cooled off some but Freel keeps showing what happens when he plays everyday in that his offensive numbers go down the tank. Sure Freel can still play defense but BP can too not to mention BP is alot younger. When Grif comes back it's time for Freel to go back to doing what he does best and that's the supersub utility role.

EKURed
05-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Yeah....we have to hope for Junior to be back on Tuesday. He will definitely be a shot in the arm that this team needs now. I think some of the guys are running on fumes. Three games on the road trip have been 0, 1, and 1 in the RUN department.

reds44
05-07-2006, 01:02 AM
Taking BP out of this lineup is absolutely absurd. Sure he has cooled off some but Freel keeps showing what happens when he plays everyday in that his offensive numbers go down the tank. Sure Freel can still play defense but BP can too not to mention BP is alot younger. When Grif comes back it's time for Freel to go back to doing what he does best and that's the supersub utility role.
I agree, but that won't happen.
BP will get plenty of at bats though.

2001MUgrad
05-07-2006, 03:49 PM
I didn't see it at first and I still wonder with his defense in CF. I would really rather them move him to 1st base honestly.. But in any event, with the team slumping like this they need anyone they can. And Jr. slumps just like anyone, there is still the fear of god in pitchers when he bats and maybe they pitch around Dunn less often.

The_jbh
05-07-2006, 04:43 PM
I didn't see it at first and I still wonder with his defense in CF. I would really rather them move him to 1st base honestly.. But in any event, with the team slumping like this they need anyone they can. And Jr. slumps just like anyone, there is still the fear of god in pitchers when he bats and maybe they pitch around Dunn less often.

We need Dunn to go to 1b, not Griffey. Griffey needs to go to LF. His problem is his range not everything else. Griffey once was a gold glover. he still has a good arm, and he runs good routes to the ball. Dunn has a good arm but is lost in the OF. Plus I like Dunn as a monster target for EE :evil:

I do agree with the fact that we do miss Griffey. He does add another power bat to the line up and the trickle effect of the is huge. I like

CF Freel
SS Lopez
LF Griffey
1B Dunn
RF Kearns
3B Encarnacion
2B Phillips
C Ross/LaRue/Valentin

with Denorfia getting time 3-4 days a week in CF where Freel plays 2B 1 or 2 games for phillips, once for encarnacion or an OF that needs a day off, and 1 day Freel on the bench

NastyBoy
05-07-2006, 05:06 PM
I really like Dunn batting 4th behind griffey with his .129 average with RISP will really offer griffey the protection he needs.

GAC
05-07-2006, 07:58 PM
I like to use the oft used analogy that was always used with Barry Larkin (who also struggled with injury his last few years).... when he is in there, he produces.

Same with Jr.

You are not gonna get the production (or same type of) from a Freel and/or Denorfria in comparison to Jr.

Freel is a "top of the order" OB% guy. Not an RBI man/slugger. Not his role, and he couldn't come close to filling it.

Give me a 4-5-6 in the order of Jr, Dunn, and Kearns any day.