PDA

View Full Version : MLB Draft

Pages : 1 [2]

Reds Fanatic
06-04-2006, 03:08 AM
last year I listened in at home using XM Radio - which has continuing coverage of the confernce call all day both days.

If you have XM, I found it to be much more reliable and easy to use over the MLB.com feed.
XM is a great way to follow the draft. I believe this year the whole draft will be on channel 189.

cincinnati chili
06-04-2006, 03:21 AM
If I'm not mistaken Joey Votto wasn't in Baseball America's Top 200. Or if he was, he was way down.

I realize Votto hasn't proven anything yet, but he looks to me like he'll at least be useful.

BBA is great, but they can't find everyone.

jmcclain19
06-04-2006, 04:19 AM
If I'm not mistaken Joey Votto wasn't in Baseball America's Top 200. Or if he was, he was way down.

I realize Votto hasn't proven anything yet, but he looks to me like he'll at least be useful.

BBA is great, but they can't find everyone.
OBM started a thread a few weeks back that makes this statement crystal clear

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=978599

16 out of the top 50 hitters ranked by OPS were taken in the 1st round.

Five of those were in the 2nd. Quite a few (nine) were international free agents, but still that means 20 of the top hitters in baseball were'nt thought highly enough to spend a top 70 pick on them. That means something.

Outshined_One
06-04-2006, 04:48 AM
OBM started a thread a few weeks back that makes this statement crystal clear

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=978599

16 out of the top 50 hitters ranked by OPS were taken in the 1st round.

Five of those were in the 2nd. Quite a few (nine) were international free agents, but still that means 20 of the top hitters in baseball were'nt thought highly enough to spend a top 70 pick on them. That means something.

Actually, I think you might be taking that particular breakdown the wrong way. It's not necessarily that half of the best hitters in baseball were not highly thought of enuogh to be taken in the first round...it's more that a significant proportion of those hitters (32%) were selected in the first round. Moreover, over half of those hitters were selected in the first five rounds.

Much like any draft, the highest rates of success will always be in the first round. Sure, guys can come out of later rounds and be Hall of Famers...but the likelihood of guys even reaching the majors as each round goes on decreases.

Also, in some cases with the MLB Draft, guys can fall due to signability (college commitment, salary demands, Scott Boras, etc) or because of weird circumstances (Sean Gallagher falling to the Cubs in the 12th round two years ago because he was on an airplane with no cell phone reception) and still end up signed. Granted, it does not apply in every case, but it does have an impact.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Royals owner David Glass rudely fired all-time good guy Allard Baird over the phone, hiring the Braves' Dayton Moore to replace him as GM and throwing the draft into turmoil. Baird's plan was to take North Carolina pitcher Andrew Miller, but Moore might be leaning toward Texas outfielder Drew Stubbs or pitcher Luke Hochevar, who failed to do a deal with the Dodgers.

Moore already might be learning how bad Glass is. Word is Glass, despite getting $30 million in revenue handouts, is balking at Hochevar's asking price, making Stubbs more likely.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spheyman0604,0,1916840.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

NewEraReds
06-04-2006, 01:15 PM
last year I listened in at home using XM Radio - which has continuing coverage of the confernce call all day both days.

If you have XM, I found it to be much more reliable and easy to use over the MLB.com feed.
ive never had a problem listening to mlb.com since i started a few years ago

NewEraReds
06-04-2006, 01:29 PM
first round to be live, it looks like on video, on mlb.com

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/draft/y2006/index.jsp

????

Outshined_One
06-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Royals owner David Glass rudely fired all-time good guy Allard Baird over the phone, hiring the Braves' Dayton Moore to replace him as GM and throwing the draft into turmoil. Baird's plan was to take North Carolina pitcher Andrew Miller, but Moore might be leaning toward Texas outfielder Drew Stubbs or pitcher Luke Hochevar, who failed to do a deal with the Dodgers.

Moore already might be learning how bad Glass is. Word is Glass, despite getting $30 million in revenue handouts, is balking at Hochevar's asking price, making Stubbs more likely.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spheyman0604,0,1916840.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

Huh? Stubbs more likely for the Royals? I know Hochevar's stock is rising, but if Moore (or the dude writing this article) thinks that Stubbs is worth the #1 overall pick at this point, he needs to cut down on the :all_cohol

LoganBuck
06-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Signability is probably the issue here.

NewEraReds
06-04-2006, 04:36 PM
if they make stubbs the no 1 pick, ill be extremely happy cause it bumps all the top pitchers down a spot, making more available for us, but on the same end, their owner should be forced out of baseball

Redmachine2003
06-04-2006, 05:15 PM
if they make stubbs the no 1 pick, ill be extremely happy cause it bumps all the top pitchers down a spot, making more available for us, but on the same end, their owner should be forced out of baseball Why it is all a crap shoot any ways and if Stubbs becomes a stud with the bat they should make him the comiss..

Outshined_One
06-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Why it is all a crap shoot any ways and if Stubbs becomes a stud with the bat they should make him the comiss..

It's a crapshoot, but it's rare for a guy who profiles like Stubbs to develop into a guy worth the #1 overall pick. When I look at him, I see a guy who could become a good defensive CF who steals plenty of bases and has lots of power. That's good. But, his idea of the strike zone is pretty bad. It is very, very rare for some one to drastically change their K numbers. When I see him, I think Preston Wilson. Guys like Miller, Longoria, and Hochevar are more ready to contribute and better picks.

The Royals are already one of the most pitiful teams in baseball and their owner has descended into the ranks of names like Bidwell and Wirtz as the worst owners in professional sports. Their farm system does not offer much hope as it is, especially in regards to pitching. This team needs all the help it can get; being cheap in the draft isn't going to help. They did end up drafting and signing Alex Gordon...so maybe they won't be penny-pinchers.

Then again, this could very well end up like Bullington over Upton.