PDA

View Full Version : Milton may be getting close to returning

Reds Fanatic
05-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Eric Milton is probably going to pitch in that Hall of Fame Game a week from Monday and if he looks ok may return after that.

Reds may test Milton in exhibition
Pitcher could face Pirates, and if he does well, he would likely return to the rotation.
By Hal McCoy

PHOENIX | To a major-league baseball player, an off-day is three ounces of pure gold and/or free gas for the Mercedes. It is savored, appreciated and guarded.

So the Cincinnati Reds aren't doing Ozzie Smith back flips over what happens a week from Monday an exhibition game in Cooperstown, N.Y. in the Hall of Fame game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

What perplexes them is that not only are they giving up a day off to play a midseason game that means nothing, they are playing the Pirates, against whom they play the next three days in Pittsburgh in games that count.

To Eric Milton and the Reds pitching rotation, the game could have important implications.

If Milton continues to progress from the left knee surgery he underwent April 24, he could be the starting pitcher that day in Cooperstown. And if that goes well, he could be back in the rotation shortly thereafter.

Milton threw 50 pitches in the bullpen in Cincinnati on Friday, and General Manager Wayne Krivsky said, "The report I received said everything went well and he'll probably throw 50 pitches again (today)."

Krivsky said if Milton is recovered enough to pitch a few innings in Cooperstown, it would greatly aid the club.

What clubs normally do is call up minor-leaguers to pitch major-league exhibition games, and Krivsky plans to do that, "But it is tough for us because all of our affiliates have games that day, and I don't want to wreck one of those teams for one day by taking three or four pitchers.

"What we'll probably do is bring up two pitchers from three different teams, but if Milton can pitch, that certainly would help us and be a big step for him, too."

redsfan30
05-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Could Homer Bailey be in attendence?

captainmorgan07
05-07-2006, 11:52 AM
i hope so dave williams/milton are really starting to annoy me

RedLegSuperStar
05-07-2006, 12:07 PM
If he could come back and pitch the way he did down the stretch of last season and towards the end of spring training then I think this team could give the top of the division a run for their money. The way Bronson and Aaron have been dealing adding a above average Milton to the rotation would be a decent tandem. Although I'd personally leave Elizardo in the rotation, drop Williams to the bullpen and give Rick White his walking papers. Not to get off the Milton topic but Ramirez hasn't shown why he shouldn't stay. He's pitched great and if the defense can improve behind him then he can be a great addition to this rotation.

gilpdawg
05-07-2006, 04:00 PM
If he could come back and pitch the way he did down the stretch of last season and towards the end of spring training then I think this team could give the top of the division a run for their money. The way Bronson and Aaron have been dealing adding a above average Milton to the rotation would be a decent tandem. Although I'd personally leave Elizardo in the rotation, drop Williams to the bullpen and give Rick White his walking papers. Not to get off the Milton topic but Ramirez hasn't shown why he shouldn't stay. He's pitched great and if the defense can improve behind him then he can be a great addition to this rotation.
You'd replace White in the pen with Williams? Why? Since the first week, White has been solid.

reds44
05-07-2006, 04:04 PM
No way Elizardo should be taken out of the rotation.

Williams better be the odd man out.

gilpdawg
05-07-2006, 04:06 PM

Williams should be in AAA.

The_jbh
05-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Homer Homer Homer Homer Homer

KronoRed
05-07-2006, 04:18 PM
AA

Falls City Beer
05-07-2006, 04:22 PM
There's something mildly piquant about the notion of Eric Milton pitching in a Hall of Fame Game.

NastyBoy
05-07-2006, 04:53 PM
We could use his bat in the lineup the way the offense has gone cold. :bang:

MartyFan
05-07-2006, 06:12 PM

Agreed

Aronchis
05-07-2006, 07:11 PM
The Lizard should be sent down to continue his seasoning, he isn't ready for a full gig yet and the last game showed that.

I would give Belisle 5 starts and see how he performs once he builds up some arm strength, which means don't panic if he has a rough start or 2 before the stamina kicks in. I think Harang,Claussen,Arroyo,Belisle and Milton is probably the best the Reds could do for now.

reds44
05-07-2006, 07:21 PM
The Lizard should be sent down to continue his seasoning, he isn't ready for a full gig yet and the last game showed that.

I would give Belisle 5 starts and see how he performs once he builds up some arm strength, which means don't panic if he has a rough start or 2 before the stamina kicks in. I think Harang,Claussen,Arroyo,Belisle and Milton is probably the best the Reds could do for now.
I disagree.

1 ER

Not the pitchers fault when the team commits 3 errors in one freaking inning.

The Lizard has like a 3.08 ERA.

GAC
05-07-2006, 07:40 PM

Watching him pitch could make us all AA members. ;)

oneupper
05-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Why do they play that HOF game anymore? Does anybody watch it?
Teams forced to play it just bring in their minor leaguers anyway.

Just a lot of useless travel...and injury risk.

Aronchis
05-07-2006, 08:28 PM
I disagree.

1 ER

Not the pitchers fault when the team commits 3 errors in one freaking inning.

The Lizard has like a 3.08 ERA.

Which will be about 6.08 if they keep on throwing him out there. He still gets rattled to easy and he needs more seasoning and physical maturity.

RedsMan3203
05-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Other then today.... White has been throwing really well... I even saw him hit 95 mph on the gun 2 times today.

Unless Rick loses his arm, he isn't going anywhere.

When Milton comes back - no doubt Ramirez will be sent packing.. somewhere.... Either back to AAA - or a move to the pen.... I don't see them moving Williams around just yet.. ( he has won 2 in a row ;) ) But i'd like to see him moved...

All in All - Harrang, Arroyo, Claussen, Ramirez and Milton would be my 5 guys for now... Untill that big trade comes.

George Foster
05-07-2006, 10:11 PM
You'd replace White in the pen with Williams? Why? Since the first week, White has been solid.
Except for today:thumbdown

George Foster
05-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Homer Homer Homer Homer Homer

w L era g gs inn. h r er hr bb so
Homer Bailey 1 3 3.98 6 6 31.2 24 17 14 3 9 33

with a 1-3 record I guess he is not getting a lot of run support. 14 earned runs in 31.2 innings is not exactly tearing it up facing low "A" ball hitters. 33 strikeouts in 31.2 innings is promising. Not ready for the show, while we are in contention for a wild card or winning the division. If we were the Pirates, I'd say call him up.

Heath
05-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Isn't the dimensions at Cooperstown something like 290 down the left field lines?

And they expect Eric Milton to be good :dunno: