PDA

View Full Version : Mets lose Zambrano for the year...

Blimpie
05-07-2006, 02:07 PM
With Lima in the rotation, I guess that it is now officially gut-check time for the team from Queens...

Mets lose Zambrano for season with torn tendon
/ Associated Press
Posted: 19 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) - New York Mets right-hander Victor Zambrano will miss the rest of the season after tearing a tendon in his pitching elbow, the latest in a string of injuries to the team's starting staff.

The Mets placed Zambrano on the 60-day disabled list Sunday, and said he could be ready to pitch by spring training. Right-hander Jose Lima was brought up from Triple-A Norfolk to take Zambrano's roster spot :eek: and started Sunday against Atlanta.
Zambrano left Saturday's 6-5 win over the Braves after facing just four batters, and striking out three. In the second inning, manager Willie Randolph and trainer Ray Ramirez visited Zambrano on the mound to make sure he was feeling OK. Zambrano stayed in the game and, two pitches later, struck out Andruw Jones. He then bounded off the mound, down the dugout steps and into the clubhouse.

"When I threw my last pitch, I knew it was over," Zambrano said.

An MRI exam taken after the game revealed the tear. Zambrano, who came to New York in a trade that sent top Mets prospect Scott Kazmir in July 2004, said he has been pitching with discomfort for some time but felt he could fight through the soreness. He hadn't said anything to the team's training staff about the elbow.

"I'm not a doctor," Randolph said, "but I'm sure if we had known we could have taken some preventative measures."

Randolph added that many players play through pain, and he attributed Zambrano's determination to keep pitching to the right-hander's competitiveness.

Zambrano, 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA in five starts this season, has had a hard time winning over Mets fans, many of whom believe New York gave up too much in the deal with Tampa Bay. He missed the final six weeks of the 2004 season with elbow and ankle problems.

"It's very hard for me to not show what I can do," he said of pitching with the pain in his elbow.

The Mets already have pitchers Brian Bannister and John Maine on the disabled list.

Both Randolph and general manager Omar Minaya mentioned right-hander Jeremi Gonzalez, currently in Triple-A with Norfolk, as a possibility to be brought up to the Mets. New York could also move left-hander Darren Oliver, who gave up two runs in four innings in relief of Zambrano Saturday, from the bullpen to the starting rotation.

"We built a team with numbers in certain areas," Minaya said.

Right-hander Aaron Heilman is not an option to start, since both Randolph and Minaya are happy with the performance of the bullpen and want to keep it intact.

OSURedLeg
05-07-2006, 02:58 PM
This could put an interesting twist on how the Mets go about promoting Pelfrey. He has had just 2 starts at AA so far and has pitched so-so (4.66 era), but if he puts together a string of good starts - look for a desparate Mets team to push him into their rotation if (more like when) their alternatives don't pan out. I wonder how happy they are NOW that they got rid of Benson???

KronoRed
05-07-2006, 03:14 PM
They could use a starter

Dave Williams? :D

SteelSD
05-07-2006, 03:17 PM
FYI- Sidney Ponson left the Cards game today with "right elbow discomfort".

Hmn.

MattyHo4Life
05-07-2006, 06:48 PM
FYI- Sidney Ponson left the Cards game today with "right elbow discomfort".

Hmn.

He was pitching well too. I hope he is ok, but Adam Wainwright is ready if the Cards need another starter. So don't get your hopes up on unloading Williams on TLR. ;)

Marc D
05-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Any team faced with having Lima as a legit part of its staff can't be picky. The Mets also don't look at salary the same way we do.

Take Milton and his contract off our hands just send back somethinng with a pulse to make it look good and lets close that particular chapter in Reds history.

Sea Ray
05-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Now why in the world did the Mets trade Kazmir for this guy???;)

George Foster
05-08-2006, 12:01 AM
He was pitching well too. I hope he is ok, but Adam Wainwright is ready if the Cards need another starter. So don't get your hopes up on unloading Williams on TLR. ;)

Zambrano actually pitched one more pitch after he hurt his elbow, I hope he did not do more damage.

savafan
05-08-2006, 01:14 AM
Now why in the world did the Mets trade Kazmir for this guy???;)

Omar Minaya prefers minorities.

Blimpie
05-08-2006, 09:05 AM
If I were a Mets fan, I would rather see them bring Heilman out of the BP than have to endure Jose Lima every fifth day.

There was some radio chatter this morning about Minaya contemplating pulling a deal with Oakland to land Zito.

TRF
05-08-2006, 09:22 AM

That comment walks a fine line.

NJReds
05-08-2006, 09:48 AM
If I were a Mets fan, I would rather see them bring Heilman out of the BP than have to endure Jose Lima every fifth day.

That seems to be conventional wisdom w/everyone except Mets management. They have another starter, Brian Bannister, out w/a hamstring strain.

Their #4 and #5 starters right now are Lima and Darren Oliver.

Blimpie
05-08-2006, 04:13 PM
That seems to be conventional wisdom w/everyone except Mets management. They have another starter, Brian Bannister, out w/a hamstring strain.

Their #4 and #5 starters right now are Lima and Darren Oliver.Why didn't they ask Atlanta if they would like back in the NL East race?

Heath
05-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Why didn't they ask Atlanta if they would like back in the NL East race?

With that rotation, might want to talk to Florida and Washington as well!

deltachi8
05-09-2006, 01:11 PM

??

princeton
05-09-2006, 01:14 PM
"Rick Peterson says that he can fix Victor Zambrano in ten minutes"

NJReds
05-09-2006, 01:31 PM
All of the talk that I've heard is centering on Willis and Zito as trade options. Interesting that they've deferred some of Glavine's salary this year:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Tom Glavine and the New York Mets have restructured his contract, delaying some payments and adding an option for 2007.

Glavine had been due to make $10.5 million this year, of which $5.25 million was to be deferred at 6 percent interest.

Under the new deal, which the Mets confirmed Monday, Glavine's salary this year is reduced to $7.5 million, of which $2.25 million is payable during the season, with the rest deferred at 6 percent.

The new contract contains a 2007 player option at $5.5 million and a $12 million team option, both with a $3 million buyout. The player option would increase by $1 million each for 180, 190 and 200 innings this year, and the team option would increase by $2 million if he throws 180 innings this year.

If either option is exercised, and Glavine's 2007 salary is less than $14 million, he could have performance bonuses that would raise his earnings that year to $14 million.

Seems like they've cleared some room to add some salary.

Blimpie
05-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Speculation has it that Billy Beane is not so much interested in having the Mets as a trade partner--as he is interested in using their large market bidding status to drive up the overall asking price for Zito.

Beane probably assumes that the Mets won't dare part with Milledge for what amounts to a one year rental on Zito. Why not just "act" like you are seriously entertaining their offers--all the while stimulating other interests from the Yanks and Red Sox?

Heath
05-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Its the Mets.

They need to do all they can to make a splash and make people ride the 40 minute subway ride from midtown in the middle of rush hour.

However, if the Mets are even remotely interested - it goes from gold to fool's gold immediately.

SOP for the Mets.

LincolnparkRed
05-09-2006, 02:40 PM

There was some radio chatter this morning about Minaya contemplating pulling a deal with Oakland to land Zito.

Heilman actually has really bad splits if you compare his innings as a starter vs. relief pitching. It was something like 6+ as a starter and around 3 as a reliever. I am sure someone can find this as I believe he was discussed as a target at the end of spring training once Bannister got the 5th spot.

NJReds
05-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Its the Mets.

They need to do all they can to make a splash and make people ride the 40 minute subway ride from midtown in the middle of rush hour.

However, if the Mets are even remotely interested - it goes from gold to fool's gold immediately.

SOP for the Mets.

That's true, but they've had a lot of success lately; particularly under Minaya.

He really helped the team by acquiring LoDuca and Delgado; and the bench is stronger with Franco and Nady.

Getting Sanchez from the Dodgers for Seo was a steal.

He slipped up on the Julio for Benson deal, though. But most of the trades worked out pretty good.

Blimpie
05-09-2006, 03:59 PM
That's true, but they've had a lot of success lately; particularly under Minaya.

He really helped the team by acquiring LoDuca and Delgado; and the bench is stronger with Franco and Nady.

Getting Sanchez from the Dodgers for Seo was a steal.

He slipped up on the Julio for Benson deal, though. But most of the trades worked out pretty good.Tell him to stay away from the Clemens nonsense, and we'll just call it a day....

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTQmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY5MzI0NDEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2

Mets' money talks
Tuesday, May 9, 2006

By BOB KLAPISCH
SPORTS COLUMNIST

Six weeks into this already-intoxicating season, trends in the American League East are fast becoming reality: The Yankees and Red Sox are more evenly matched than some observers (meaning: us) thought possible. The Bombers' starting pitching has rightfully made Joe Torre sweat, while Curt Schilling and Josh Beckett are both healthy and throwing strikes in the mid-90s.

The Blue Jays' fate rests with A.J. Burnett's arm, but even so, the race in the East will be waged between Fenway and the Bronx. What else is new? This week's three-game series between the Yankees and Red Sox will be entertaining, but hardly decisive. In fact, this race should reach into late September -- unless Roger Clemens tips the division's balance of power by choosing to re-sign with one of his former American League teams.

Could it happen? Officials from the Yankees and Sox consider it a long shot since the Astros are the clear front-runners. But nothing is impossible when money is involved, which leaves open this wild-card question:

Shouldn't the Mets be involved in the Rocket sweepstakes?

If anyone needs a dependable starter, it's Willie Randolph, who says a silent prayer every time the rotation cycles past Pedro Martinez and Tom Glavine. Sooner or later, the Mets will pick up the phone to ask Billy Beane just what it'll take to get Barry Zito. It happened three weeks ago. And one more time they'll hear that the meter drops at Lastings Milledge.

The Mets have no intention of surrendering Milledge, since they've already projected him as their opening day left fielder in 2007. As long as Omar Minaya holds onto Milledge, Mike Pelfrey and Aaron Heilman, they can forget about significant help via a trade. But Clemens would cost the Mets nothing except money -- albeit a prohibitive amount.

The Astros have a $3-million-a-month offer on the table to Clemens' agents, who've informed potential suitors the future Hall of Famer won't decide until mid-June. All signs point to a Houston landing, but the Mets have a strong recent history of out-bidding the field. They did it with Pedro and Carlos Beltran and, most recently, Billy Wagner.

Of course, cash isn't the only factor here. Clemens has that seemingly unbreakable tie to the city of Houston, not to mention his everlasting friendship with Andy Pettitte. But if we know anything about The Rocket, it's that he loves the biggest possible stage and wants to end his career with a team most likely to deliver him to the World Series.

The Astros have a shot, a good one. So do the Yankees and Red Sox. But the Mets are arguably the best team in the National League, thanks to an impressive blend of power, speed, a strong bullpen and good clubhouse chemistry. Plus, they believe in themselves -- or as John Smoltz put it the other day, "The last thing the Mets need is more confidence."

But now a potential losing streak looms every time they hand the ball to Jose Lima or Darren Oliver or whoever else the Mets assign the Nos. 4 and 5 rotation spots. Clemens is the obvious answer, and the Mets should at least tap him on the shoulder with more money than the Astros are ready to cough up.

Does the Wilpon family have the funds to get into this fight? "It's there," one senior official said Monday.

If the Mets can afford to pay Clemens $10 million for a post-All Star break cameo, why not at least try? Putting him in that rotation will turn the Mets into on-paper world champs, not to mention change the balance of power in greater New York.

For now, no one is headed to the nearest ATM in Flushing. The Mets are aware that Clemens' unique stay-at-home clause with the Astros would create havoc among their ranks. One insider said, "If we let Roger go home between starts, how could we say no to Pedro and Glavine? We'd have no one on the road trips."

The Yankees have a similar wariness. Their best hope of a successful courtship is -- besides a blow-away contract -- Clemens' friendships with Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada, both of whom have stayed in touch with their former teammate. And if The Rocket really is looking for a winning tradition, he obviously knows he went to the postseason in five straight seasons in pinstripes.

The Red Sox? There aren't many leftover relationships from Clemens' early Fenway days. But finishing his career where he started it has a certain nostalgic appeal, which is what the Sox are hoping for when they take a run at The Rocket in June.

The Mets have no such card to play, but that shouldn't stop them from letting Clemens know he'd walk a straight path to the postseason with Pedro and Glavine at the front of the rotation. Choosing a National League team would also keep Clemens from permanently ruining his legacy in the Bronx or Fenway -- and yes, that does matter to him.

Sure, it's all a fantasy, but the Wilpon hierarchy has told friends they're not opposed to at least making that first phone call. Why would they be? Chasing The Rocket is like playing the lottery. You never know.

Landing Rocket

Even though Roger Clemens isn't dropping many hints about what uniform he'll wear this summer, handicapping the field isn't impossible. Here are the odds for those in the race (and those just dreaming):

Astros (2-1): Strong local tie, not to mention that stay-at-home clause.

Yankees (10-1): Who has more disposable cash than George Steinbrenner?

Red Sox (10-1): Can't (or won't) write the same check as the Yankees, but they'll appeal to Clemens' nostalgic roots.

Rangers (20-1): They have the Texas connection, but not much else.

Mets (100-1): Could almost promise Rocket a return trip to the World Series if he comes on board. But Flushing is otherwise a foreign country to him.

KronoRed
05-09-2006, 04:08 PM
I think Clemens would pitch for us before the mets.

NJReds
05-09-2006, 05:05 PM
From the NY Daily News:

Mets: Top prospects will stay

BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Mets insiders insisted yesterday that the team's core prospects, including Lastings Milledge, won't be dealt under any circumstances - not even to obtain Barry Zito or Dontrelle Willis if they were made available.
"We're going to be fine," a team source said. "Nobody's panicking. None of the top prospects are going to be dealt."

Jose Lima and Jeremi Gonzalez are penciled in for the weekend Brewers series. Brian Bannister (strained right hamstring) will throw his first bullpen session today and is scheduled to return May 19 for the series opener against the Yankees. The Mets have off-days the next two Mondays, which could limit the need for a fifth starter.

Mets brass will closely monitor 2005 first-round pick Mike Pelfrey when he takes the mound tonight at Double-A Binghamton. While team officials don't want to rush Pelfrey, an insider suggested team brass will seriously consider promoting him if he has a positive outing.

Omar Minaya is expected to be fielding calls from other GMs this week, but the source said: "We're not looking for anybody right now."

One AL executive, asked to name potentially available pitchers, listed Kansas City's Jeremy Affeldt, Mark Redman and Joe Mays, Washington's Livan Hernandez, Pittsburgh's Oliver Perez, L.A.'s Aaron Sele, San Diego's Chan Ho Park, Minnesota's Kyle Lohse and the Cubs' Glendon Rusch. Mays, who refused an assignment to Triple-A, will become a free agent if his $1 million contract goes unclaimed through waivers.

"It's quiet," one Mets official said.

NO ROCKET: The Mets need not waste their time approaching Roger Clemens. "If Roger decides to pitch, it will be only for one of the four teams we have indicated. Those are plenty good choices," said agent Randy Hendricks, referring to the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox and Rangers.

savafan
05-10-2006, 01:53 AM
??

There have been a lot of allegations by fans and the media that Minaya prefers Latino players, that's all I was saying.