PDA

View Full Version : Why does Griffey get a pass?

George Foster
05-07-2006, 10:47 PM
If I am wrong please correct me but during the last homestand, and this road trip why isn't Griffey in the dug out, especially during the homestand?

I remember 2 seasons ago seeing John Franco in the Mets bullpen in a cast and sling supporting his teammates, why not Griffey? I Never see him in the dugout when he is on the DL, which is more often than not. You can't say "he's in treatment" because the rehab is done during the day with the trainers, not at game time...where is he? I think if your not in the hospital, you should be on the bench supporting your teammates.

RedsMan3203
05-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Well - Weren't most of his injurys serious? Like.. Can bearly walk type of stuff? I can see why he wasn't in the dogout on those.

This past one... I didn't get to see any of the home games so I don't know.. but the last 5 (COL,ARI) I wouldn't of taken him on if he wasn't going to be playing because he WAS back at GABP rehabbing during the day... I don't think you can rehab on the road. Unless you are Richy Aurrila.

Caveat Emperor
05-07-2006, 10:55 PM
If I am wrong please correct me but during the last homestand, and this road trip why isn't Griffey in the dug out, especially during the homestand?

I remember 2 seasons ago seeing John Franco in the Mets bullpen in a cast and sling supporting his teammates, why not Griffey? I Never see him in the dugout when he is on the DL, which is more often than not. You can't say "he's in treatment" because the rehab is done during the day with the trainers, not at game time...where is he? I think if your not in the hospital, you should be on the bench supporting your teammates.

I'm not a doctor, but when there are leg problems being sorted out, I can't imagine a day of training is made better by a night sitting on a wooden bench in drizzle and sub-50 degree weather.

I have no problem with Griffey not making the trip if he's not on the active roster. Even the minute risk of him slipping and falling down the stairs to the clubhouse or getting clocked with a foul ball in the dugout is reason enough to let him stay at home

westofyou
05-07-2006, 10:57 PM
I think if your not in the hospital, you should be on the bench supporting your teammates.Trevor Hoffman kicks back in the clubhouse, takes a shower and goes out in the 6th inning.

George Foster
05-07-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm not a doctor, but when there are leg problems being sorted out, I can't imagine a day of training is made better by a night sitting on a wooden bench in drizzle and sub-50 degree weather.

I have no problem with Griffey not making the trip if he's not on the active roster. Even the minute risk of him slipping and falling down the stairs to the clubhouse or getting clocked with a foul ball in the dugout is reason enough to let him stay at home

If he is that fragile, should he be playing at all? I understand the road trip, but there was a thread posted by a redzoner that he met Griffey this week, and was walking fine, and actually took a big duffle-bag out of his car into GAB. We will see if he is in the dougout Tuesday night.

TOBTTReds
05-07-2006, 11:15 PM
If he is that fragile, should he be playing at all? I understand the road trip, but there was a thread posted by a redzoner that he met Griffey this week, and was walking fine, and actually took a big duffle-bag out of his car into GAB. We will see if he is in the dougout Tuesday night.

Barry Bonds is 100 times more fragile than Griffey right now, but he still hit a 500 foot HR tonight. I know they aren't the same player, but Griffey should play still, he was fragile last year and look at his numbers then.

TeamBoone
05-07-2006, 11:25 PM
He was in the dugout last weekend... not in uniform and not for the entire game, but they showed him on camera talking with someone.

dougdirt
05-07-2006, 11:31 PM

That was me who met Griffey, but the guy is back here in Cincinnati doing rehab every day. Why go on the road when he can stay here, see his doctors and rehab guys? Also, when the Reds were last home, he was in the dugout at times, I saw him on tv a few times chatting it up with Phillips.

George Foster
05-07-2006, 11:31 PM
He was in the dugout last weekend... not in uniform and not for the entire game, but they showed him on camera talking with someone.
Good...even though it's against major league rules to be out of uniform and in the dugout. I hope he is in uniform Tuesday and on the bench for 9 innings.

Caveat Emperor
05-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Good...even though it's against major league rules to be out of uniform and in the dugout. I hope he is in uniform Tuesday and on the bench for 9 innings.

I don't see the big deal. It's not like his being there affects the outcome in any way at all. "Supporting your teammates" seems a little hokey, no offense. These guys are all well paid to perform their craft and shouldn't need injured players around to keep the vibe up or perform better.

When Griffey comes off the DL, I know he'll give 100%, because that's the way he has been for his entire career. Until that moment, I just want him to concentrate on getting off the DL. Anything else is totally secondary.

Nugget
05-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Why don't you just post all your Junior criticisms in one post so that we can deal with them all at once.

As many have pointed out even though he may have recovered he is still not 100% and some of his recovery is being closely monitored. Furthermore, not all medical staff make the road trips.

George Foster
05-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Why don't you just post all your Junior criticisms in one post so that we can deal with them all at once.

As many have pointed out even though he may have recovered he is still not 100% and some of his recovery is being closely monitored. Furthermore, not all medical staff make the road trips.

I don't have a problem with the road trips like I clearly mentioned. Just be at the home games. I see hurt NFL players at the game, I see hurt NBA players at the game. Paul Wilson was in uniform with the Reds on the Bench after his start with Dayton...why not Griffey? It's a simple question.

Jpup
05-08-2006, 02:37 AM
If he isn't on the active roster, which he isn't, is doesn't mean a thing. get over it.

savafan
05-08-2006, 02:46 AM
I thought there was a rule against players on the DL being in uniform and in the dugout...? :confused:

Shaggy Sanchez
05-08-2006, 03:31 AM
Just because he isn't in the dugout doesn't mean he isn't at the game. For all we know he could be in the trainers room getting treatments during the home games, hitting balls in the cage under the seats, sitting in the clubhouse watching the game and supporting the other players before and after the game, or maybe he has been hanging out in the BP and you haven't noticed him. Have you payed attention to see if every other player on every team has sat on the bench in uniform while they were hurt? Has Eric Milton been in uniform on the bench every game since he was hurt? In all honesty what does it matter if he is there or not, if you were sick or hurt and on leave from your job would you go in and sit at your desk while your coworkers were working to help support them?

RedFanAlways1966
05-08-2006, 07:51 AM
I understand the road trip, but there was a thread posted by a redzoner that he met Griffey this week, and was walking fine, and actually took a big duffle-bag out of his car into GAB.

Walking and running are two different things. Two completely different things. Ask any leg muscle...

And where was Griffey walking when the RZ member saw him? Uh, the doctor's office. The doctor, the rehab people, the equipment... it is all in Cincy.

I'd rather Junior stay home... see the proper people and rehab. He is more valuable as a player than a cheerleader or mentor.

Caveman Techie
05-08-2006, 08:16 AM
And to take this one step further, I don't see the rest of the Reds at the ballpark or Dr.'s office when Jr. is there rehabbing all day long, that is just not playing like a team. I mean come on if Jr. can go through the rehab the least his teammates can do is be there for him to support him while he is doing his rehab work. :D

Ok now in all seriousness. I don't know about you but if I have put in a full day of work, and believe it or not rehab IS hard work, then I'm going home afterwards and resting when I can. We don't expect the rest of the Reds to be in the ballpark all day long and then all night also when a game is played, why should we expect that of Jr.?

StillFunkyB
05-08-2006, 08:21 AM
:deadhorse:

Chip R
05-08-2006, 09:46 AM
So Jr. is initially criticized for not being in the dugout while on the DL. Then, when it is found out that he has indeed been in the dugout, he is criticized for not being in uniform or possibly breaking some rule that says players on the DL can't be in the dugout. I guess when he comes off the DL he'll be criticized for not standing up straight enough for the national anthem.

westofyou
05-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Paul Wilson was in uniform with the Reds on the Bench after his start with Dayton...why not Griffey? Who gives a rats ass, maybe he was there and you missed him?

Is that possible?

ochre
05-08-2006, 09:50 AM
He is a sloucher.

TeamBoone
05-08-2006, 11:40 AM
I may be wrong here, but I don't think any team makes it a habit of taking DL'd players on road trips. If said player is due to be activated during said road trip, yeah, but that would be the only reason... especially if they're rehabbing EVERY DAY and from everything I've read, Jr is doing just that!

It doesn't even make sense.

redsfan30
05-08-2006, 11:45 AM
What does it matter if he's in the clubhouse or dugout?

membengal
05-08-2006, 11:51 AM
What, are you kidding me? They clearly are missing his zenlike wisdom if he is not there...

Caveat Emperor
05-08-2006, 01:11 PM
What, are you kidding me? They clearly are missing his zenlike wisdom if he is not there...

GRIFFEY (to Edwin): When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will be able to hammer your foes with a balanced attack.

membengal
05-08-2006, 01:44 PM
GRIFFEY (to Edwin): When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will be able to hammer your foes with a balanced attack.

Exactly! It's not having access to that kind of insight that led to losing two of three in Arizona.

ochre
05-08-2006, 02:12 PM
They say he's really been effective with:
"We are number one. All others are number two, or lower. "

Quite the motivator.

registerthis
05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I think griffey should be in the dugout, dispensing madden-like wisdom during every game:

'You see, what you wanna do is score more runs than those guys. That way, you'll win!"