PDA

View Full Version : Random Trade Thought w/ Arizona

Highlifeman21
05-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Having nothing to do before running a golf outing today waiting for players arrive, and watching the archive of Brandon Webb's gem the other day, what are your thoughts on him? I think he's one of the young, emerging arms in the game, and is a legitimate #1.

Realistically, what, if anything, would you give up for him?

My first thought: Felipe Lopez.

Arizona has an old Craig Counsell playing SS as well as an old Damian Easley playing SS, and Felipe would fit into their youth movement. Honestly, I'm not sure if Lopez alone would be enough for Webb, IMO probably not. One player I would like to come back with Webb would be none other than the O Dog, Orlando Hudson. While he doesn't swing the best stick in the land, I think he could easily fit into a Juan Castro role to be a glorified glove man, as well as defensive replacement/pinch runner. Our offense would definitely survive the loss of Lopez, and I think the addition of Webb would honestly make us a contender in the Central for years to come with our current core.

Realistically, I guess I'd send Lopez, Cody Ross, Olmedo or Bergolla and Travis Chick for Webb and Hudson. Still, might need something else, so I would add Germano as well, to look like Lopez, C. Ross, Olmedo/Bergolla, Chick, Germano for Webb and Hudson.

Thoughts?

edabbs44
05-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Too many players on Cincy's side and I don't think Zona is looking to deal pitchers. They are loaded with positional prospects and have no pitching. That's like a fantasy league trade. I don't think they'd ever trade Webb, but if they did Homer's name would come up in 100% of the conversations. And not only his name, but others as well.

RedEye
05-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Never gonna happen unless we give up more. Who would give up a young #1 starter like that? Webb is one of the best in the game for his age, and I think any Diamondbacks plan for the future has to include him as long as he fits financially.

I do like the idea, though. Webb has one of the best if not the best ground ball pitching games in MLB, and he would be a perfect fit for Great American Small Park. He would allow us to see Harang's sangfroid at a dominant #2 rather than a fighting #1, and then move Arroyo's leg kick to #3.

I think it would take at least Dunn if not Dunn + prospects... maybe Dunn + Travis Wood, and that's if they're willing to deal Webb at all. And I think if they offer that deal, this team takes it in a heartbeat. Webb is that good.

kyle1976
05-08-2006, 09:04 AM
I think Arizona would only accept your trade offer if we also threw in Dave Williams. Losing Williams would be a tough pill to swallow, but it'd be worth it for Brandon Webb.

On a more serious note, Arizona would be crazy to trade Webb. Not gonna happen.

lollipopcurve
05-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Arizona has Stephen Drew almost ready for the majors. They don't need a SS.

flyer85
05-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Pitching is the one thing lacking in their minor league system so they certainly aren't going to be trading it.

Dunner44
05-08-2006, 09:25 AM
I would trade Dunn for Webb if they threw Shawn Green in the deal. I covet his defenisve skills in the outfield...

Newman4
05-08-2006, 09:28 AM
It would take more to get Webb than Dontrelle Willis. He's signed to a great deal for Arizona. 4 years 19.5 Million. Club option for 2010. If you wanted him as a free agent after that (He'd be 31) then he's from Ashland, Kentucky, right in the middle of Reds Country, maybe he'd like to "come back home". Ah, wishful thinking.

Newman4
05-08-2006, 09:29 AM
I think it would take at least Dunn if not Dunn + prospects... maybe Dunn + Travis Wood, and that's if they're willing to deal Webb at all. And I think if they offer that deal, this team takes it in a heartbeat. Webb is that good.

I'd do that deal as well.

flyer85
05-08-2006, 09:30 AM
I would trade Dunn for Webb if they threw Shawn Green in the deal. I covet his defenisve skills in the outfield...they are not trading Webb, there have no replacement on a team already short of starting pitching. They maybe could use a Dunn this year but the cavalry is on the way in Young, Quentin, Gonzalez and Upton. They by far have the best OF prospects in baseball(2 in AAA).

If the Snakes make a trade it will be for pitching.

MattyHo4Life
05-08-2006, 09:33 AM
they are not trading Webb, there have no replacement on a team already short of starting pitching. They maybe could use a Dunn this year but the cavalry is on the way in Young, Quentin, Gonzalez and Upton. They by far have the best OF prospects in baseball(2 in AAA).

If the Snakes make a trade it will be for pitching.

The folks on the DBacks board are probably throwing out ideas on how they can trade one of their young Outfielders for Arroyo or Harang. ;)

flyer85
05-08-2006, 09:38 AM
The folks on the DBacks board are probably throwing out ideas on how they can trade one of their young Outfielders for Arroyo or Harang. ;)Honestly the trade talk stuff gets really idiotic when you don't even look at the strengths and weaknessess of the other team at the major league and minor league level. The Snakes have to be looking to acquire pitching, not trade it away.

harangatang
05-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Honestly the trade talk stuff gets really idiotic when you don't even look at the strengths and weaknessess of the other team at the major league and minor league level. The Snakes have to be looking to acquire pitching, not trade it away.Exactly, if it wasn't for that we wouldn't have Arroyo for some outfielder whose name escapes the top of my head right now.;)

flyer85
05-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Exactly, if it wasn't for that we wouldn't have Arroyo for some outfielder whose name escapes the top of my head right now.;)trades are made when each team has what the other wants(or needs). In the case of the Snakes they last thing they need is another OF. They are going unload their entire current OF in the next 2 years and replace them with much cheaper and better players.

PuffyPig
05-08-2006, 10:09 AM
The folks on the DBacks board are probably throwing out ideas on how they can trade one of their young Outfielders for Arroyo or Harang. ;)
Funny, and bang on.

Why would any team trade a cheap #1 starter for marginal stuff. If you wanted Webb, you would have to trade so much primo young talent that it wouldn't make sense. Other teams aren't simply lying around looking to improve the Reds. If you want to trade for a #1 starter, you either have to get one on the verge of FA, or trade for one prior to him becoming a #1 starter.

TeamBoone
05-08-2006, 11:47 AM
They're fighting for first place in the West. Why on earth would they trade their ace at this point in time?

KronoRed
05-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Webb for Harang :evil:

IslandRed
05-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Realistically, I guess I'd send Lopez, Cody Ross, Olmedo or Bergolla and Travis Chick for Webb and Hudson. Still, might need something else, so I would add Germano as well, to look like Lopez, C. Ross, Olmedo/Bergolla, Chick, Germano for Webb and Hudson.

Thoughts?

Besides what others have mentioned -- if Counsell becomes a question, Arizona already has answers on hand -- what you're basically proposing is a variation on the old fantasy-league "but it's a 5-for-1!!!" when someone's trying to trade a collection of Just Guys for your star. Now, Lopez isn't filler, but the rest of those guys? You could throw in another ten just like them and it's not going to get the Snakes to turn loose of Webb.

Red Heeler
05-08-2006, 03:13 PM
You have the right type of target in Webb, but the wrong timing. Webb is signed to a favorable deal with his current team. Outside of a mega-market team with an excess of pitchers (yes, I'm pointing at you, Bronson) you aren't going to pry one of those guys away without gutting your team and farms system. The guy to get on the cheap is a 2nd or 3rd year arbitration eligible who has not quite lived up to expectations, but who has the stuff to translate into a plus pitcher. Think Ben Sheets winter of '04.

Jr's Boy
05-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Taken in to account our BP,Valverde would be a good fit.

VI_RedsFan
05-08-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure I would send Dunn to the D'Backs for Webb, he's that good. But no way would FeLo be able to get Webb. Like lollipopcurve said, Drew is the future at SS for them.

The_jbh
05-08-2006, 07:37 PM
stephen drew + Justin Upton = no thanks on lopez

flyer85
05-08-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty sure I would send Dunn to the D'Backs for Webb,the Snakes would not make that trade.

cincinnati chili
05-09-2006, 01:05 AM
I wouldn't be so sure that Josh Byrnes would not trade away Brandon Webb for Adam Dunn. You might be right. I don't know.

I agree that the premise of this thread is incorrect. The minute that Counsell stops producing at shortstop, Stephen Drew comes to the majors an contends for rookie of the year honors.

flyer85
05-09-2006, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't be so sure that Josh Byrnes would not trade away Brandon Webb for Adam Dunn. You might be right. I don't know.Young, Quentin, Gonzalez, Jackson and Upton say that would not be a good idea.

Hondo
05-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Why would you trade Felipe Lopez for anyone like Brandon Webb???

Maybe for a guy like Oswalt or Zito....But Lopez is an impact player at a premier position (SS). There isn't very many A-Rods, Jeters, Nomars, or Tejadas around so I would prefer to keep him....

JaredRoberts.com

TC81190
05-11-2006, 08:44 AM
I'd want Chris Young.

Newman4
05-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Young, Quentin, Gonzalez, Jackson and Upton say that would not be a good idea.

I guess Young has some time on his hands to evaluate fantasy baseball trades since he's not playing baseball.:evil:

edabbs44
05-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I'd want Chris Young.

Could have had him in a Grif deal last year, but for some unknown reason we said no.