PDA

View Full Version : Austin Kearns pitching every 5th day??

kyle1976
05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Wasn't Austin a great high school pitcher in high school? He throws hard. He throws strikes (that throw on Saturday was perfect). Maybe he could take the mound every 5th day after Williams is shipped off to no man's land?? Honestly, I don't see how he could be worse. We need somebody, anybody to take Williams' spot. It's hard to imagine we don't have anyone better than Williams in the minors.
:help:

RollyInRaleigh
05-08-2006, 10:23 AM
:rolleyes: That is in no way, realistic.

CySeymour
05-08-2006, 10:35 AM

Yeah, it's one heck of a stretch. I will say this, yesterday was the first game I have seen Williams on t.v., and it really looked like I could hit him, which is sad. His round house curve didn't seem to buckle anyone, including lefties. In fact, lefties looked down right comfortable against him. I think he may need to head back to the minors.

scounts22
05-08-2006, 10:54 AM

Oh come on, the rest of the team should just sit down. Let Austin do it all! :D :evil:

tbball10
05-08-2006, 11:37 AM
they'll probably stick with williams, but when milton comes back, i'd like to see the lizard stay.

Benny-Distefano
05-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Austin would come in and get lit up.

....Much like Williams. :)

But we need Austin in the outfield. If Kearnsie had Dunn's defense, I'd be all for it, though. ;)

paintmered
05-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Can we get Wily Mo to restructure his contract so he can go back to AAA?

:D

membengal
05-08-2006, 12:02 PM
I think Jr. should pitch. Someone get on that.

TeamBoone
05-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Austin was a pitcher in high school, and from everything I've heard, a pretty good one. Anybody have any idea why he never pitched in the minors but was almost immediately converted to an outfielder?

I highly doubt he could pitch now even if he wanted to because of the shoulder injury.

Spitball
05-08-2006, 01:40 PM
The Reds converted outfielder Mel Queen into a pitcher who won 14 games in 1967.

Rocky Colavito was an awesome pitcher in relief.

Dave Kingman was a pretty decent pitcher.

Ted Williams and Stan Musial could both pitch.

Babe Ruth was a very good pitcher.

Jose Conseco ruined his arm in a relief appearance.

Kearns might be able to pitch.

deltachi8
05-08-2006, 01:47 PM
I betya he can play third base too.

KronoRed
05-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Can we get Wily Mo to restructure his contract so he can go back to AAA?

:D
I bet he has a great fastball.

George Foster
05-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Austin was a pitcher in high school, and from everything I've heard, a pretty good one. Anybody have any idea why he never pitched in the minors but was almost immediately converted to an outfielder?

I highly doubt he could pitch now even if he wanted to because of the shoulder injury.

Was it his throwing shoulder he hurt?

TeamBoone
05-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Was it his throwing shoulder he hurt?

I found this: "... but that home-plate collision with King in Cincinnati begat a torn labrum and rotator cuff in Kearns' right shoulder that ended his 2003 season which begat a broken left forearm last April after he was hit by a pitch, which begat a bizarre right thumb injury last June that shelved him for nearly three months."

Publication Date: 02-28-2005
http://www.cincypost.com/2005/02/28/reds02-28-2005.html

wolfboy
05-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Could Larue pitch?. He is incredibly accurate in his throws back to the mound, so why not the other way around? I'm sure the Reds are saving that secret weapon until game 7 of the series against Tampa Bay.

MrCinatit
05-09-2006, 08:05 AM
The last thing we need is one of our oft injured outfielders doinging something every fifth day which could potentially cause him more injury.

NatiRedGals
05-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Yes... As soon as the Babe comes up to the field and says I Shall Pitch For You.... of course we do not know the you...

marcshoe
05-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Nah. Freel gets first shot. :freel:

redsmetz
05-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Wasn't Austin a great high school pitcher in high school? He throws hard. He throws strikes (that throw on Saturday was perfect). Maybe he could take the mound every 5th day after Williams is shipped off to no man's land?? Honestly, I don't see how he could be worse. We need somebody, anybody to take Williams' spot. It's hard to imagine we don't have anyone better than Williams in the minors.
:help:

When Kearns was drafted, it was noted that he was equally skilled as a pitcher as he was as a hitter (I recall talk of him hitting balls at his high school somewhere that was enormously far away). While there was talk of him being a pitcher, it seems to me that the Reds made it known that he would proceed through the system as an outfielder/batter.

redsmetz
05-09-2006, 08:51 AM
The Reds converted outfielder Mel Queen into a pitcher who won 14 games in 1967.

Rocky Colavito was an awesome pitcher in relief.

Dave Kingman was a pretty decent pitcher.

Ted Williams and Stan Musial could both pitch.

Babe Ruth was a very good pitcher.

Jose Conseco ruined his arm in a relief appearance.

Kearns might be able to pitch.

The same was true of Reds 1st Baseman Frank McCormick. I knew about Musial being a pretty good pitcher during his day before going pro. This is one of the reasons I detest the DH in high school and college levels. I wonder about missing a great hitter because he's always being DH'ed.

UGADaddy
05-09-2006, 09:22 AM
I thought this was joke thread, but some of you are taking it seriously. And that, in itself, is a joke. Kearns has about as good a chance at seeing the mound this year as I do. Also, I agree with tbball10. I'd love to see Williams go and The Lizard stay when Milty or Wilson returns.

RollyInRaleigh
05-09-2006, 11:14 AM
A lot of really good players pitched when they were in high school. A lot of them also played shortstop. That doesn't always translate to MLB talent at those positions, even if they were the best of the best in high school. Major League teams weigh the whole package and try to put the players in the position where they feel they have the best chance to succeed.

UC_Ken
05-09-2006, 04:46 PM
I believe that Kearns was a legitimate major league pitching prospect in high school. However it's been far too long to think he could go back to pitching plus the labrum injury. I wonder though why you wouldn't stick a pitcher in the lineup every once in a while. For example, why not put Jason Marquis or Mike Hampton in the outfield every on one or two of his off days. It would have to be a pitcher who's a great hitter and also a great athlete.

Redeye fly
05-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Well, but then you're risking one of your starting pitchers getting injured on a day you're playing him in the outfield.