PDA

View Full Version : Paul LoDuca vs. Angel Hernandez: Round 1

savafan
05-08-2006, 01:48 PM
What a stupid thing for an umpire to say.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spmbar084734089may08,0,1577716,print.story?coll=ny-sports-print

BY ANTHONY RIEBER
Newsday Staff Writer

May 8, 2006

Paul Lo Duca was hopping mad, and not just because the Mets' catcher knew he had tagged Brian McCann on his left buttock in the second inning of yesterday's 13-3 loss to the Braves.

No, Lo Duca had reached his boiling point with plate umpire Angel Hernandez long before McCann was erroneously called safe with the first run of the game. Lo Duca was angry about a remark he alleges Hernandez made to pitcher Jose Lima.

"When the umpire tells your pitcher, 'I'm going to give you a couple inches off the plate, but I'm not going to give you four, five inches because you're not John Smoltz,' I think I've got a little bit of a problem with that," said Lo Duca, who also was upset with a balk call made earlier in the inning by second-base umpire Sam Holbrook.

Hernandez, who left Shea Stadium before he could be asked for comment, threw Lo Duca out of the game after Lo Duca spiked the ball at the umpire's feet after the McCann call. Lo Duca was charged with an error for allowing a runner to take an extra base while the live ball was retrieved behind home plate.

"I am disappointed with myself," Lo Duca said. "I overreacted. But it was one of those things where emotions got the best of me. Plain and simple, I tagged the guy and he blew the call."

McCann admitted Lo Duca tagged him, saying, "He barely got me."

Mets manager Willie Randolph tried to protect Lo Duca by suggesting he hadn't spiked the ball, that it "slipped out of his hands."

Said Lo Duca: "I spiked it pretty good, probably better than Ickey Woods would have for the Bengals. I just didn't do the Ickey Shuffle."

TeamBoone
05-08-2006, 01:56 PM
I don't blame him for being upset.

Personally, I hate that umpires have different strike zones for different pitchers. The zone is the zone... and they should call it fairly for every single guy that takes the mound.

It's especially unfair to the team who has a "lesser" pitcher on the mound than a Smoltz or a Carpenter... especially if that lesser pitcher is going against that star pitcher who gets breaks on pitches outside the zone.

It's no wonder those guys have such stellar performances... once they've made it, they no longer have to earn it.

redsfan30
05-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Said Lo Duca: "I spiked it pretty good, probably better than Ickey Woods would have for the Bengals. I just didn't do the Ickey Shuffle."
:thumbup:

As for Angel Hernandez......:thumbdown

redsfanfalcon
05-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Wow, why is LoDuca pulling a name from the past like Ickey Woods? Is he a Bengals fan?

traderumor
05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
I don't blame him for being upset.

Personally, I hate that umpires have different strike zones for different pitchers. The zone is the zone... and they should call it fairly for every single guy that takes the mound.

It's especially unfair to the team who has a "lesser" pitcher on the mound than a Smoltz or a Carpenter... especially if that lesser pitcher is going against that star pitcher who gets breaks on pitches outside the zone.

It's no wonder those guys have such stellar performances... once they've made it, they no longer have to earn it.Agreed. I doubt very seriously if Hernandez will admit to saying such a thing, but there are some chump umpires who leave that impression if you watch their calls. And Hernandez is definately a chump and umpires like a chimp.

KronoRed
05-08-2006, 03:04 PM
One more reason to get umps out of there and install an automated ball/strike system.

No more special strike zones.

traderumor
05-08-2006, 04:06 PM
One more reason to get umps out of there and install an automated ball/strike system.

No more special strike zones.For some reason, that suggestion always brings images of Rollerball (the Paul Newman version) to me. It sure does seem the technology is there with ESPN's K Zone and Questec. I wonder how many legit reasons there are not to have it and how much of it is based on tradition and politics. Personally, I am so frustrated with the calling of balls and strikes that I am finally all for it if is even slightly less than 100 % accurate (say 98?) because that would sure beat the inconsistency and favoritism current umps display.

Dunner44
05-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Any ump that changes strike zones based on the pitcher should get kicked in the gonads when he isn't wearing his cup.... just sayin...

Spitball
05-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Any ump that changes strike zones based on the pitcher should get kicked in the gonads when he isn't wearing his cup.... just sayin...

I totally agree...unless, of course, it's 4" to 5" for a Reds' pitcher...;)

TeamBoone
05-08-2006, 07:35 PM

They do it all the time though. It's really nothing new. I wouldn think, however, that one would be smart enough not to say it.

Chris Welsh has mentioned it several times during broadcasts.... paraphrasing here, "if that had been (insert name of ace here), that would have been a strike".... "good pitchers get the borderline calls; others don't".

I think MLB should put a stop to it. The umps screw up enough already that it's exceedingly unfair to purposely do so.

BTW, FWIW, Felipe was never tagged when he was "caught" stealing; the glove touched only the base... about three inches short of Felipe's hand. I was stunned that neither broadcaster commented on it, instead of saying it was a "good call". What a bunch of bunk!

Chip R
05-08-2006, 08:44 PM
LoDuca is not going to win this one. Anytime that he is catching from now on and Hernandez is behind the plate, even if Glavine is pitching, that strike zone is going to be about the size of a magazine.

TeamBoone
05-09-2006, 12:32 AM
You're right, Chip; he's not. But that doesn't mean the ump's right... he just has the clout to make his baseball life miserable... kind of like a judge, most of them think they're God. And they pretty much are because they can get away with it.

Deepred05
05-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Love this story about a rookie pitcher who couldn't catch a call from an umpire

"Son (to a rookie pitcher), when you pitch a strike, Mr. (Rogers) Hornsby will let you know it." - Umpire Bill Klem

Chip R
05-09-2006, 02:25 PM
You're right, Chip; he's not. But that doesn't mean the ump's right... he just has the clout to make his baseball life miserable... kind of like a judge, most of them think they're God. And they pretty much are because they can get away with it.

I agree, TB. Hopefully Hernandez' supervisor will be able to chill him out.

NJReds
05-09-2006, 06:07 PM
From the NY Daily News...looks like there could be some type of discipline for Hernandez. (But I'm not sure I'd trust a reporter who's quoting a baseball...;) )

HE'S NO ANGEL: Angel Hernandez faces MLB discipline if the Mets' claims that the plate umpire told Jose Lima he wouldn't get the same strike zone as John Smoltz are substantiated, a baseball said. When Lima asked why he wasn't getting the same calls as Smoltz on Sunday, the combative Hernandez allegedly replied: "You're not John Smoltz."

Red Leader
05-09-2006, 06:25 PM
From the NY Daily News...looks like there could be some type of discipline for Hernandez. (But I'm not sure I'd trust a reporter who's quoting a baseball...;) )

I bet it's that damn "Slider" of FoxSports post season fame.

Always running his mouth. :D