PDA

View Full Version : A fair return for KGJ

Benihana
05-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Suppose Griffey comes back this week and performs at a 2005-esque level between now and the AS break, staying healthy the whole time. If the Reds are still in contention, what do you think would be a fair and realistic expected return in a trade for Griffey?

RedsMan3203
05-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Someone just to take him off our hands?

I don't know if JR has that much trade value these days.....

flyer85
05-08-2006, 05:25 PM
someone to pick up a decent portion of his contract.

RedsManRick
05-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Half his contract and a league average starter would be fine with me.

Col_ IN Reds fan
05-08-2006, 06:41 PM
I just don't think anyone would want his contrsct , not even half. He is done as a player and has been for a few years. Some players physically break down at different times in their careers , his was in his early 30's.

registerthis
05-08-2006, 06:42 PM
I just don't think anyone would want his contrsct , not even half. He is done as a player and has been for a few years. Some players physically break down at different times in their careers , his was in his early 30's.

He's done as a player? His 2005 numbers would beg to differ.

He's done as a position player, but I think he could do quite well in a DH setting for several more years.

Col_ IN Reds fan
05-08-2006, 06:46 PM
[He's done as a position player, but I think he could do quite well in a DH setting for several more years.[/QUOTE]

The guy was pratically just standing in the outfield this time.

KronoRed
05-08-2006, 07:22 PM
someone to pick up a decent portion of his contract.
Impossible.

I'd like a good pitcher and would be 70% of the remaining deal to get it done.

Nugget
05-08-2006, 08:35 PM
If the REDS are still in contention there would be no way you would trade Junior nor would he agree to a trade.

Also most teams selling at the deadline are looking to pick up talent on next to free agent players. So the only trade that will come about in this will be in the fantasy leagues.

Krusty
05-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Should have traded him to the White Sox last season and should trade him there now. Besides the White Sox, send him to the Yankees to be their DH.

MrCinatit
05-08-2006, 08:46 PM
If the REDS are still in contention there would be no way you would trade Junior nor would he agree to a trade.

Also most teams selling at the deadline are looking to pick up talent on next to free agent players. So the only trade that will come about in this will be in the fantasy leagues.

Exactly, and the chances of Junior accepting a trade away from a contending team are remote - especially if he has emotional ties to that team.
Remember, he can void any trade - and I do believe he likes this town.

KronoRed
05-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Should have traded him to the White Sox last season and should trade him there now. Besides the White Sox, send him to the Yankees to be their DH.
The Sox have a DH so they are a NO.

Doubt the yankees do the deal, they have so few things to trade that they won't deal them.

George Foster
05-09-2006, 12:43 AM
He's done as a player? His 2005 numbers would beg to differ.

He's done as a position player, but I think he could do quite well in a DH setting for several more years.

The only person in baseball that does not know that Jr. is done as a position player is...Jr. His swing is still picture perfect, and I honestly can't tell it has lost anything, but God love him, his legs are bad...real bad. He could thrive in the A.L. for another 5 or 6 years as a DH. However Jr. wants to "play" baseball, just not hit baseball. It's hard to know when to say "when," and that goes for all of us. We all have a tendency to look at ourselves with rose colored glasses, it's human nature.

registerthis
05-09-2006, 11:10 AM
The guy was pratically just standing in the outfield this time.

But the daily grind of playing in the OF everyday wears his legs down and makes him susceptible to such injuries.

Again, your assertion that "griffey is done" is contradicted by the numbers he was able to put up last year. Unless you think all players who are "done" hit 35 HRs and 92 RBI.

Red Leader
05-09-2006, 11:48 AM
The Sox have a DH so they are a NO.

Doubt the yankees do the deal, they have so few things to trade that they won't deal them.

If the Yanks are interested, I trade Junior for Melky Cabrera (you can get a look at him this week, the Yanks are calling him up and playing him everyday with Sheff going to the DL). I'd throw in cash to get the deal done.

dougdirt
05-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Yeah Red Leader, but if the Yankees did that deal and we sent them less than 8 Million dollars, they would be complete fools. Melky Cabrera is young and VERY good. I would love to have the kid on our team or in our system, but I dont think there is anyway they let go of him for Griffey....they would need someone who plays the field or throws from the mound really good to go along with a bat for Cabrera.

REDREAD
05-09-2006, 12:54 PM
At this point, I think it's best for all concerned to just let Jr play out the remaining 1.8 years of his contract.

Realistically, if you trade Jr tommorrow, you won't be able to spend the money until the offseason anyhow. So trading Jr only gets you the payflex one year sooner. While I've enjoyed the hot start this team has had, we're a LONG way from being a legit contender.

I know people grouse about his salary supposedly being a millstone to this team, but I don't think it is. The bigger millstones are Paul Wilson and Milton.

Like it or not, Jr does bring fans to the ballpark. I know people said the same thing about Casey, but Jr is bigger than Casey.

Jr is worth a lot more to Cincy than he is to any other team. That's why the Reds aren't going to get close to his value.

registerthis
05-09-2006, 01:33 PM
At this point, I think it's best for all concerned to just let Jr play out the remaining 1.8 years of his contract.

he's actually here through 2008, so it's 2.8 years that he has left.

KronoRed
05-09-2006, 05:13 PM
If the Yanks are interested, I trade Junior for Melky Cabrera (you can get a look at him this week, the Yanks are calling him up and playing him everyday with Sheff going to the DL). I'd throw in cash to get the deal done.
Give cash to the yanks? NEVER ;)

reds44
05-09-2006, 06:22 PM
If we could sell him I would do it. It would hurt this year, but do wonders in the future.

Col_ IN Reds fan
05-09-2006, 06:38 PM
But the daily grind of playing in the OF everyday wears his legs down and makes him susceptible to such injuries.

Again, your assertion that "griffey is done" is contradicted by the numbers he was able to put up last year. Unless you think all players who are "done" hit 35 HRs and 92 RBI.

What kind of numbers is he putting up right now? You may like to debate , but it is obvious his body can no longer hold up for any length of time.
Teams are not beating down the doors to get this guy. I doubt he will ever play in over 100 games in a season again.