PDA

View Full Version : Junior won't be activated today (5/9/06 - 5/10/06)

reds44
05-09-2006, 06:36 PM
No Junior

Indications from the ballpark are Griffey will not be activated today, though he once again did some work in the outfield earlier this afternoon.

-Marc

Col_ IN Reds fan
05-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Not really suprising anymore. I guess he just has to decide how soon he wants his next injury to be.

Joseph
05-09-2006, 06:42 PM
I can't believe that no news is now news.

Jr's Boy
05-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Not really suprising anymore. I guess he just has to decide how soon he wants his next injury to be.
That's lowdown.

flyer85
05-09-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm :shocked:

sampson
05-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Yeah, pretty much what I expected. I really think they should wait as long as they have to though. The lineup is for sure better with him in it, but the reds can pull their own weight without him. How frustrating would it be if he came back for a game or 2 and went right back on the DL? The best thing is for them to wait so he can come back at 100% (or close to it) It is really frustrating though.

reds44
05-09-2006, 09:58 PM
From the outfielder's mouth

Courtesy of C. Trent Rosecrans, here's some of what Junior had to say this afternoon. The most interesting bit is the description offered up by Junior that he's been going through a "dead leg" period -- like pitchers with the "dead arm" thing during the spring.

"We’ll see tomorrow how I feel. I know you get tired of asking Mark Mann and Dr. Kremchek. Just to let you know... It’s... It’s tough on them. They work their butt off and it’s just one of those periods where it’s dead and everyone thought I’d be coming back a week ago or 10 days and it just didn’t work out, just keep battling. I keep trying to work through it."

(Is he waiting until he's 100 percent)
"No. I just need to feel comfortable going out there day-in and day-out. I’ve done this a few times, a lot more times than I would liked to have, but it doesn’t have to be 100 percent, just where I can feel comfortable with the baserunning aspect of it. Defensively I’m fine, it’s just more or less getting from first-to-third, second-to-home, where I really have to push off and turn."

BoydsOfSummer
05-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Dead leg period? You can say that again.

flyer85
05-10-2006, 12:50 AM
that he's been going through a "dead leg" period --... for the last 5 years :help:

indyred
05-10-2006, 12:52 AM
... for the last 5 years :help:
well said!

WVPacman
05-10-2006, 12:57 AM
I think its time for Griffey to go to another team and away from the Reds,The truth is that he has'nt and will never live up to exspectations.I like Griffey but he has done little to nothing to help us since we traded for him.He has stayed hurt and has gotten hurt for the past 4-5 seasons I just think we need to part ways with the guy.The reds have already proven that they are just as good and can win just has many games with him out of the lineup.

Reds1
05-10-2006, 01:33 AM
I expected him to be out, but they showed him in Real Reds taking some balls in the OF. That has to be a good sign that he is close and none to soon. We have some real slumps going on and Griffey and Aurlia out are hurting the offense.

CTA513
05-10-2006, 01:42 AM
... for the last 5 years :help:

They might as well just go a head and give him robot legs.

:devil:

TeamBoone
05-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Updated: 10:28 p.m. ET May 9, 2006

Griffey still sore, but could return Wednesday
Oft-injured outfielder says he’s ‘turning the corner’ with injured knee
Baseball

CINCINNATI - Ken Griffey Jr. tried out the strained tendon in his right knee Tuesday and remained on the 15-day disabled list as the Cincinnati Reds began a three-game series with the Washington Nationals. The Reds lost to the Nats, 7-1.

The outfielder, who took extended batting practice before the game, could return Wednesday.

“He looked like he was running today without holding anything back,” manager Jerry Narron said. “I look forward to having him back in the lineup.”

Griffey said he still felt a slight twinge in the knee, which has sidelined him since April 12. He did not make last week’s road trip with the Reds, but had been expected to be activated for the start of a six-game homestand with Washington and Philadelphia.

“It just didn’t work out,” Griffey said. “I’ll try to keep working through it.”

Griffey said the only time the knee might bother him — or be reinjured — would be running the bases.

“I feel like I’m turning the corner,” he said. “I just need to feel comfortable going out there day-in and day-out.”

Cincinnati is 16-8 since a 4-1 loss to the Cubs in Chicago in Griffey’s last game.

Griffey has a history of leg problems since returning to his hometown in a trade with the Seattle Mariners before the 2000 season. While the effects of this injury have lingered longer than expected, the injury itself is not as serious as those that limited Griffey in previous years.

He went on the DL in 2001 after tearing a hamstring, starting his run of major injuries. He was on the disabled list twice in 2002 (torn knee tendon and hamstring), twice in 2003 (dislocated shoulder and torn ankle tendon) and twice in 2004 (two hamstring tears).

For three years in a row, he didn’t play in more than 83 games in a season. He finally avoided major injury last season when he hit .301 with 35 homers in 128 games — winning the NL comeback player of the year award.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12709827/

KronoRed
05-10-2006, 04:03 PM
With all the rain in the forecast I doubt we see him today or Tomorrow

K-GAR
05-10-2006, 05:49 PM
I may have missed this somewhere, but any word on Jr being activated today or not??

KronoRed
05-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Not with a wet field and more rain on the forecast.

K-GAR
05-10-2006, 05:54 PM

Kinda what I figured unfortunately :(

Reds Fanatic
05-10-2006, 05:58 PM
There is now a chance of rain all weekend so I would guess Junior will not be back this week.

redsmetz
05-10-2006, 06:00 PM
From the forecast I saw, I think I heard about a guy named Noah starting on a project down the river. He was even asking somebody to Google what a Cubit is....

TeamBoone
05-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Jr. not ready, but we sure are
BY PAUL DAUGHERTY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

He'll be ready when he's ready. When's that? When he's ready.

He looks good. This is what manager Jerry Narron said. It's what he has said for a week now, or 10 days. Griff looks better. Griff looks good. Griff's close. "To me, it doesn't look like he was holding back. It looks like he's getting pretty close," Narron said Tuesday.

Ken Griffey Jr. ran the bases and felt good. Second to home, first to third, cornering the bases, torquing his injured right knee. (Though if you think about it, the left knee takes most of the pressure around the bases, but never mind.) Griffey's right knee is afflicted with a "strained biceps tendon." Knees have biceps. Who knew?

Griffey looked good in extended batting practice, launching home runs to all fields. It's not about hitting, though. It's not about defense, either. "Defensively, I'm fine," Griffey reported. It's about running.

He stood in the tunnel between the Reds' clubhouse and the field, taking how-does-it-feel questions from a pack of media. Griffey wore a Reds-issue gray T-shirt, the back of which read NO

EXCUSES. He perused a catalog filled with pictures of fine luxury automobiles. "You guys couldn't afford the insurance" on them, he said.

Someone asked Griffey if he'd consider switching positions.

Griffey didn't appreciate the question. "You gonna switch positions?" he asked.

"For a seven-figure paycheck, I'd spend six weeks in the shape of a pretzel" is what the guy should have said, but didn't.

It's not Griffey's fault that his body's every tweak is cause for all-points alarm around here. He doesn't ask to be asked "How you feeling?" every day. The whole exercise is borderline ridiculous, really.

He'll be ready when he's ready. He'll let everyone know.

You hear from Narron that Griffey is close. You hear from Griffey that he's close. "That was probably the best I've felt running," he reported.

What you don't hear in the home clubhouse is much urgency. Those most concerned with Griffey's return are the people with the pens and the microphones.

Of course, Adam Dunn would see better pitches with Griffey hitting ahead of him. Ryan Freel could use a few days off from playing kamikaze in center field, because at his current pace, he will explode into a million little pieces attempting a diving catch. But you hear no one expressing an immediate need for Griffey, and why should they? The team is 21-12, in first place.

Thirty-three games isn't a season, but it is a representative sample. The Reds lead the league in runs, home runs and on-base percentage. They're second in doubles and slugging percentage.

So what's the big deal? Why the daily health quiz? Did we mention the Reds are in first place?

"I just need to feel comfortable going out there day in and day out. I've done this a lot more times than I would have liked," said Griffey. "It's just one of those things. Pitchers have dead arms. For a while, it was like a dead leg."

Right now, he feels good. He's close. "He took flyballs, ran the bases," said Narron, who must be getting awfully tired of this. "He did better."

You'll get people wondering what's taking Griffey so long, but you won't get that here. Until someone invents a Pain-o-meter, I'm not questioning a player's injury or his willingness to play with discomfort.

Given what Griffey has undergone here, and the months of mind-numbing rehabilitation, it's a little silly to suggest he isn't committed to playing as soon as possible.

I mean, running on a treadmill and taking electrical stimulation? Or playing center field six days out of seven? You'd have to be some kind of moron not to want to play.

"We'll see tomorrow how I feel," said Griffey.

He'll be ready when he's ready. Until then, the first-place Reds will muddle through without him. Somehow.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060510/COL03/605100388/-1/CINCI

edabbs44
05-10-2006, 09:04 PM

If it was 85 degress with 0% humidity it would be too hot and dry. The field being wet is legit, but there is something more to this debacle.

flyer85
05-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Id say the chances of seeing Jr on this homestand are ... remote.

Keithwg_24
05-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Id say the chances of seeing Jr on this homestand are ... remote.

It'd be great if Junior were good at Muuuuuulti-Tasking and played 1st :D

TeamBoone
05-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Thursday, May 11, 2006

JUNIOR UPDATE: Ken Griffey Jr. was not activated in time for Wednesday's game.

Again, he's close.

"I've been impressed with the way he's run," Narron said. "He's not favoring the knee."

Griffey, who has been out since April 12 with a bad knee, could come off the disabled list at any time.

Griffey talked like it's a lock that he'll play Sunday.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060511/SPT04/605110381/1071

Maybe he will be back in time to use that pink bat on Sunday.

redsfan30
05-11-2006, 12:42 PM
I get the impression that he will be activated for the weekend series with Philadelphia. The talk hasn't been if he will use the pink bats, it seems to be he will use the pink bats.

Shaknb8k
05-11-2006, 01:24 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060511/SPT04/605110376/1071

there is a link to an article that talks about the pink bats they will be using sunday. If you read it and put everything that we already know together (such as griffey will come back when ever he wants to) Then i would say he will definatly be back Sunday.