PDA

View Full Version : Time to SEND Claussen to the MINORS!

NastyBoy
05-10-2006, 12:46 AM
This guy is really beginning to tick me off. In his four losses the reds have only scored 2 runs. Management needs to send him down to the minors and teach him to hit so he can help himself, otherwise, there is no way he can win if he is getting 0.5 run support.

Highlifeman21
05-10-2006, 12:49 AM
So it's Brandon's fault the offense only shows up on days Arroyo or Harang finds the mound?

Come on....

Claussen is arguably our 3rd best arm, yet gets no support, so we're gonna send him down to Louisville b/c the offense can't score when he's on the mound?

NastyBoy
05-10-2006, 12:53 AM
So it's Brandon's fault the offense only shows up on days Arroyo or Harang finds the mound?

Come on....

Claussen is arguably our 3rd best arm, yet gets no support, so we're gonna send him down to Louisville b/c the offense can score when he's on the mound?

You could not detect the sarcasm in my post?

Sarcasm is sneering, jesting, or mocking a person, situation or thing. It is often used in a humorous or ironic manner and is expressed through vocal intonations such as over-emphasizing the actual statement or particular words.

Highlifeman21
05-10-2006, 01:00 AM
You could not detect the sarcasm in my post?

Sarcasm is sneering, jesting, or mocking a person, situation or thing. It is often used in a humorous or ironic manner and is expressed through vocal intonations such as over-emphasizing the actual statement or particular words.

Thank you Mr. Dictonary/Thesaurus

No, couldn't detect your sarcasm, which means it wasn't used effectively....

Care to try again?

The Baumer
05-10-2006, 01:10 AM
I can't believe you are insinuating that Brandon needs to hit home runs. Can everyone just back off the guy and let him pitch? It isn't his fault that the offense can't score. Why should he have to change his already solid plate approach just to make up for his team's weak offense? Doesn't anyone remember what they did to Dunn in 03??

NastyBoy
05-10-2006, 01:35 AM

Care to try again?

Care to try again?

YES. I WILL TRY AGAIN. I am now sorry I used any literary devices in my post.

Okay... here is the summary, try to keep up.

Reds have not scored many runs in Claussen's losses.

And I stated:

This guy is really beginning to tick me off. In his four losses the reds have only scored 2 runs.

This would be irony. The incongruity here is the fact that I am blaming Claussen for the lack of run support... which in fact he has little control over in most instances unless he falls in advancing a runner through a sacrifice.

To send a pitcher to the minors because a lack of hitting prowess instead of lack of pitching prowess would be another example of irony.

Definition of Irony... for those that do not know:
The use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning.

In Summary:

I really think that Claussen should be sent to minors. (here I am stating the opposite of my literal meaning.)

Management needs to send him down to the minors and teach him to hit so he can help himself. (here I am stating the opposite of my literal meaning.) A starting pitcher in the National League of Major League Baseball has little expectation of hitting. To send a pitcher to the minors due to a lack of hitting prowess.

dougdirt
05-10-2006, 01:41 AM
I picked up the sarcasm about 1 sentence in. Once he started talking about going to the minors to learn to hit, right there is where it all kicked in.

Highlifeman21
05-10-2006, 01:52 AM
YES. I WILL TRY AGAIN. I am now sorry I used any literary devices in my post.

Okay... here is the summary, try to keep up.

Reds have not scored many runs in Claussen's losses.

And I stated:

This guy is really beginning to tick me off. In his four losses the reds have only scored 2 runs.

This would be irony. The incongruity here is the fact that I am blaming Claussen for the lack of run support... which in fact he has little control over in most instances unless he falls in advancing a runner through a sacrifice.

To send a pitcher to the minors because a lack of hitting prowess instead of lack of pitching prowess would be another example of irony.

Definition of Irony... for those that do not know:
The use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning.

In Summary:

I really think that Claussen should be sent to minors. (here I am stating the opposite of my literal meaning.)

Management needs to send him down to the minors and teach him to hit so he can help himself. (here I am stating the opposite of my literal meaning.) A starting pitcher in the National League of Major League Baseball has little expectation of hitting. To send a pitcher to the minors due to a lack of hitting prowess.

Let's do the time warp again.....

Hello 7th grade English.....

Thank you for the refreshing course!

Cant Touch This
05-10-2006, 01:53 AM
I thought the sarcasm was pretty obvious myself. Just sayin...

Topcat
05-10-2006, 01:55 AM
whew this thread was exhausting lol.

NastyBoy
05-10-2006, 02:08 AM
Let's do the time warp again.....

Hello 7th grade English.....

Thank you for the refreshing course!

LOL. Sorry bout the English lesson. I majored in English. I just assumed the absurd post was enough to establish I was not serious.

Bottomline: Lack of run support = losses.

Ibleedblue
05-10-2006, 02:28 AM
Bottomline: Lack of run support = losses. So does a 1.63 WHIP and a 5.79 ERA. Too bad he really is our third best starter.

bthomasiscool
05-10-2006, 02:30 AM
Just my 2 cents, the sarcasm was quite obvious in my opinion, and well used, I got a kick out of it myself. Our offense hasnt really been scoring much recently for any pitcher though, top of the order (freel) sure has been slumping. I got a good feeling about tomorrow though:thumbup:

CTA513
05-10-2006, 02:47 AM
So does a 1.63 WHIP and a 5.79 ERA. Too bad he really is our third best starter.

:thumbup:

Before Arroyo came here he was our second best starter. :help:

KronoRed
05-10-2006, 03:59 AM
This is the year to see what he's got..if he sucks we know..then we can try him in the pen.

Sabo17
05-10-2006, 06:01 AM
The post was absolutly dripping with sarcasm in my opinion. Just reading it actually made me more sarcastic in my outlook on the Reds.

MrCinatit
05-10-2006, 07:09 AM
Yeah, give the guy a break - it was an obviously very sarcastic post. Gave me a chuckle.

Bob Borkowski
05-10-2006, 07:52 AM
I'm not excessively bright, so when someone uses sarcasm in a post I really appreciate it if they tack on one of these guys...:rolleyes:

butlerbulldogs
05-10-2006, 09:06 AM
i thought the sarcasm was quite obvious, sending a pitcher to the minors to HIT???!!!??? c'mon, sarcasm at it's finest

BuckU
05-10-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm not excessively bright, so when someone uses sarcasm in a post I really appreciate it if they tack on one of these guys...:rolleyes:

Or this guy ;)

flyer85
05-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Can he take Dave Williams with him?

smith288
05-10-2006, 09:17 AM

Care to try again?
Good Lord folks... Serious lack of sarcasm detection on this thread.

TeamBoone
05-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Sarcasm or not, why is it (I wonder) that Brandon never seems to get any run support? Just curious.

And how did the pitching rotation get so out of kilter? Harang and Arroyo are coming up next.... following Claussen (who used to be third in the rotation).

top6
05-10-2006, 11:33 AM
FWIW, the sarcasm was obvious and funny.

UPRedsFan
05-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Is it sarcasm or irony to say that Claussen is our 3rd best pitcher?

membengal
05-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Easily identifiable sarcasm, and pretty funny.

C'mon Highlifeman, sarcasm is a finely practiced and long accepted art in these parts, part of our defense mechanism...

traderumor
05-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Of course, the sarcastic value is diminished by the fact that Claussen did not just pitch in bad luck last night, but was rode hard and put away wet.

marcshoe
05-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Is it sarcasm or irony to say that Claussen is our 3rd best pitcher?

Foreshadowing? :eek:

KronoRed
05-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Or this guy ;)
I prefer ;)

he at least brings a smile to the post..we all need smiles :D

Big Klu
05-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Sarcasm or not, why is it (I wonder) that Brandon never seems to get any run support? Just curious.

And how did the pitching rotation get so out of kilter? Harang and Arroyo are coming up next.... following Claussen (who used to be third in the rotation).

The Reds' desire to pitch Harang and Arroyo as often as possible has resulted in other pitchers being pushed back or skipped over due to off days so that Aaron and Bronson can take their regular turn. (Harang was even moved up one day in Milwaukee.) It's not unusual for a club to manipulate their rotation so that their #1 and #2 starters get more action. The result is that the order of the rotation changes somewhat.

Big Daddy P
05-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Flyer85 is on to something. Send Davey boy, Milty,....

Wait, I think we may need a small van.

I'll drive!

CTA513
05-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Can he take Dave Williams with him?

Maybe they can trade Williams for "Leon" from the tv commercials.

:D

saboforthird
05-10-2006, 04:39 PM

Care to try again?

It was used VERY effectively, in my opinion. Otherwise, you'd have blown the cover before the thread really had any life. :laugh:

saboforthird
05-10-2006, 04:40 PM

You managed to survive here, with 13,000+ posts, so you must be doing something right. :D

saboforthird
05-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Of course, the sarcastic value is diminished by the fact that Claussen did not just pitch in bad luck last night, but was rode hard and put away wet.

That got me thinking about my wife. :evil:

Bob Borkowski
05-10-2006, 09:32 PM
You managed to survive here, with 13,000+ posts, so you must be doing something right. :D

Hey, thanks.

I especially thank you for including neither a :rolleyes: nor a ;) as part of your post.:)

LINEDRIVER
05-10-2006, 10:16 PM
I was able to pick up on the sarcasm right away.

However, I believe I read that Claussen can't be sent to the minors without clearing waivers. He's out of options.

Highlifeman21
05-10-2006, 10:23 PM
LOL. Sorry bout the English lesson. I majored in English. I just assumed the absurd post was enough to establish I was not serious.

Bottomline: Lack of run support = losses.

Apparently I deserved to get neg'd b/c I didn't get the sarcasm at first, and then thought we had banter back and forth in a playful manner, but I guess that was lost on others, as originally your sarcasm was lost on me...

Sorry?