PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Freel?

CySeymour
05-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Anyone have any clue as to why Freel is struggling so bad? I think he's down to .228.

Joseph
05-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Perhaps all the people who have said he doesn't need to play everyday are right. Perhaps its just a slump.

pahster
He's been slumping in May. His OBP is still .371, though. He'll start hitting again.

redsfan30
He's been in the lineup every day for over a month. For him to be effective, he needs rest.

Reds1
05-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Funny how the team that was this offensive powerhouse has taken a collective break. Be nice to add a shot in the arm by the name of Griffey.

sammonator
05-10-2006, 11:20 AM
It would be good to see Griffey in the 3 hole tonight. But I am doubting it.

redsmetz
05-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Funny how the team that was this offensive powerhouse has taken a collective break. Be nice to add a shot in the arm by the name of Griffey.

And yet, we're still a sliver ahead in first place. Now that's nice. Given the weather report of rain, I'm guessing Griffey won't be activated even if he's "okay" at this point. Hopefully tomorrow. And I'd like to see Milton recover from his knee and pick up from where he was in ST and the 1st two starts of the year.

Gary Redus
05-10-2006, 12:01 PM
It is because he isn't that good. He isn't a .300 hitter although he will always draw walks. The more he plays the more his weaknesses are exposed. He is kind of like Bip Roberts. Freel is more like a 3-4 day a week guy.

savafan
05-10-2006, 12:46 PM
To top it all off, his car was broken into.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0510redsnotes.html

Why is it when things are going bad, they invariably get worse?

Ryan Freel, 0 for 12 on the recently completed trip to Colorado and Arizona, believes it.

His car was burglarized during the day Tuesday at a mall.

"They popped the hood, snipped the alarm system and stole $5,000 to $6,000 worth of stereo equipment," he said. "They snipped and stripped so much my wife couldn't even get the car started."

Cedric
05-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Not an everyday player. It was a dream and people wanted it so badly to be real, it isn't.

Sad thing is I believed it. But this year is the ultimate sign to me. He got tired and he pressed. He is swinging at anything close. I think he has been late on pitches more than any player I've ever seen.

GridironGrace
05-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Yea he's slumping but i think he's one of those players who if they play everyday Pitchers start to see how to stop him.

He's a spot player for this reason. And was doing so well early because of it. Add in a bad month and you see Freel Struggling.

I also think that JR not batting at #3 is making it so Freel see's alot more STRIKES instead of trying to get him to ground out on balls.

2001MUgrad
05-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Freel also hasn't had a SB in 2 or 3 weeks it seems.

Its strange how when this team faces pitchers that throw strikes they struggle, yet, when pitchers can't throw strikes the team does good. They can't effectively get on base without help it doesn't appear. Although, its still early and it could just be a slump. But, this team has relied on walks entirely to much to produce runs early this season.

KronoRed
05-10-2006, 03:23 PM
The time to deal Freel is now, before every team gets the memo that he can't play everyday.

Kc61
05-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I just don't buy the argument that Freel is not an "everyday player." In 2004 he had 505 at bats, hit .277, OBP of .375, 37 steals. Last year he had fewer at bats because of injury, but did well again.

He is in a horrible slump right now, and maybe pitchers have adjusted to him, but there is nothing in his background to indicate that his performance is meaningfully better playing in reserve role.

I agree that he has been injury prone and perhaps they can't count on him for 600 at bats, like the best lead-off hitters will get. But once he gets on track, I would like him out there every day.

Shaggy Sanchez
05-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Freel did have 505 ABs in 2004 but he only started 128 games, that is not what I consider an everyday player. Freel is at his best when he is used as a backup that plays 3-4 games a week and pinch hits as often as possible.

saboforthird
05-10-2006, 04:44 PM
To top it all off, his car was broken into.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0510redsnotes.html

Why is it when things are going bad, they invariably get worse?

Ryan Freel, 0 for 12 on the recently completed trip to Colorado and Arizona, believes it.

His car was burglarized during the day Tuesday at a mall.

"They popped the hood, snipped the alarm system and stole $5,000 to $6,000 worth of stereo equipment," he said. "They snipped and stripped so much my wife couldn't even get the car started."

Is his wife a master mechanic? :evil:

saboforthird
05-10-2006, 04:46 PM
I think his attitude has changed, for the worse. Not anything he's said, but I can see it on his face. If I was him, and there was a guy named Ken Griffe, Jr. that was about to come back and take away most of my playing time, I'd be a bit worried. Just say'in.

buckshotrod
05-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Check his eyes...if they are bloodshot you know what the problem continues to be..:beerme:

Just kiddin and hope not. The kid has gotten to balls giff would not at this point. Hopefully he comes around.

REDJAKE
05-10-2006, 08:03 PM
The guy is one of the best utility guys in the league but that doesn't mean he is good at playing everyday and i have always been against him starting but we have been in a bind without JR. I hope JR. GETS BACK SOON AND FREELS PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED.go cincy!!!!

redsfanmia
05-10-2006, 08:24 PM
There is a reason that Freel is a utility guy, because he has too many holes in his game to be an everyday player. He is great at what he does but run him out there 2 or 3 weeks in a row and you get what you are getting now, spot him in a few days a week and he is great.

Redmachine2003
05-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Freel seems to be hitting alot of fly balls anymore. With his speed you would think he would be tring to drive that ball into the ground or lay down some bunts.

steig
05-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Freel just isn't good as a daily player. He has never been penciled into the lineup each day for a prolonged period of time. There is a reason why this guy is a utility/bench player and has been for his entire career. Not that I don't like Freel, you need players like him on any winning team. But fans fall in love with the 'underdog' type of player that comes off the bench and helps to spark the team every so often. He hustles and you don't hear about how much money the team is paying him. I believe fan can relate to him more than a player like Griffey or Dunn. We want him to be a success story but we forget to look at the big picture. Griffey will come back and Freel will go back to the bench where he belongs and play a few days a week. If utility players were great players not getting the opportunity to play everyday then why did Lenny Harris only achieve the status of utility player and professional pinch hitter. Some guys just fit that role, and Freel is one of those guys. We can't expect him to be a Juan Pierre type of player b/c he isn't as talented as Pierre.

redsfan4445
05-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Freel is also taking alot of strikes and not protecting the plate like he did in April!!

Dunner44
05-11-2006, 12:01 AM
2 SB today, even if they were meaningless, because big Adam Dunn K'd with Freel on 3rd and FeLo on 2nd....

red-in-la
05-11-2006, 12:22 AM
I might buy Freel's great OBP if he was keeping at .371.....but IIRC, he started at about .500. What is his OBP just for May?

Can you say..... .120? :eek: :eek: :eek:

He is hitting .120 with ZERO walks. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Why oh why Denorfia isn't asked to play every once in while is way beyond me. The only real issue I have had with Narron is his insistence in playing LaRue and his blindness to Freel's woes.:help: :help:

SteelSD
05-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Freel just isn't good as a daily player. He has never been penciled into the lineup each day for a prolonged period of time.

In 2004, Freel garnered 592 Plate Appearances while posting the highest OBP season of his career. You don't get nearly 600 PA unless you've been penciled into the lineup each day for a prolonged period of time.

When he's played regularly, he's done very well. God forbid a guy have a slump.

oneupper
05-11-2006, 09:28 AM
When he's played regularly, he's done very well. God forbid a guy have a slump.

Well, as they say in the mutual fund world..past performance....

Seriously, though...Freel went through an AWFUL stretch like this in ST, IIRC. That's what makes this one so worrisome. Two REALLY bad slumps so close together.

It's not like he's hitting the ball AT people (as Phillips was). He's hitting lazy fly balls and easy grounders.

Something in his approach has probably changed...and not in a good way.

And Red-in-la...the reason Denorfia doesn't get PT is simple. HE is designated to go down when Griffey comes back. If Narron puts Denorfia in for a week or so and he rakes...then they have a dilemma when Jr gets off the DL.

Managers don't like conflict. (It sucks, I know, but...that's how it is).

red-in-la
05-11-2006, 10:02 AM
And Red-in-la...the reason Denorfia doesn't get PT is simple. HE is designated to go down when Griffey comes back. If Narron puts Denorfia in for a week or so and he rakes...then they have a dilemma when Jr gets off the DL.

Managers don't like conflict. (It sucks, I know, but...that's how it is).

Well, maybe Narron doesn't like conflict.....I don't know the man personally.....but I do know that managers like losses even less. Any manager who continues to pencil in a lead off hitter with a .120 OBP for half a month and says publically that his offense has "sputtered" is going to deal with a lot of something that is unpleasent.

Narron has two choices....McCracken and Denorfia....so far, he has played it like Freel is in the race for league MVP. McCracken started ONE game this month and Denorfia has only pinch hit.

Actually, while Kearns was hitting something like .400, Narron actually gave Denorfia his lone start by sitting Kearns.

So you tell me.....are we expected to watch Freel "play through" this "slump?"

Freel needs a series off, not just one day in a month.

kyle1976
05-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Freel needs to hit the ball on the ground more to utilize his speed. It seems like he hits a weak flyball to right center every time he comes up. He needs to hit on top of the ball and bunt occasionally like Brett Butler, remember him? He was a great leadoff hitter. You never knew what he was going to do.

oneupper
05-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Well, maybe Narron doesn't like conflict.....I don't know the man personally.....but I do know that managers like losses even less. Any manager who continues to pencil in a lead off hitter with a .120 OBP for half a month and says publically that his offense has "sputtered" is going to deal with a lot of something that is unpleasent.

Narron has two choices....McCracken and Denorfia....so far, he has played it like Freel is in the race for league MVP. McCracken started ONE game this month and Denorfia has only pinch hit.

Actually, while Kearns was hitting something like .400, Narron actually gave Denorfia his lone start by sitting Kearns.

So you tell me.....are we expected to watch Freel "play through" this "slump?"

Freel needs a series off, not just one day in a month.

I feel your pain. I would really like to see some Deno, too. But I just don't think it will happen. Narron probably (and I can't read his mind either),thinks that
if FeLo, Dunn and Phillips played through their slumps, Freel can too.

Denorfia would be great leading off or hitting second behind FeLo, IMO. But unfortunately we'll probably see McCracken before Chris. :(

dabvu2498
05-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Does it seem to anyone else like Freel is swinging at alot more 1st pitches... even leading off games??? Perhaps this is a partial cause.