PDA

View Full Version : Griffey to first base?

KoryMac5
05-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Someone asked Griffey if he'd consider switching positions.

Griffey didn't appreciate the question. "You gonna switch positions?" he asked

Quote from the Enquirer.

I think we can put Griffey to first to rest.

Red Leader
05-10-2006, 02:57 PM

I've been thinking about it because I know my skillset isn't compatible with my current position. In order to fully use my skills, I need to switch positions. You should think about doing the same, Mr. Griffey.

CTA513
05-10-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote from the Enquirer.

Griffey to DH or we will keep seeing Griffey to DL.

edabbs44
05-10-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote from the Enquirer.

It might be time to put Griffey to rest. If he cannot see that his days as a GG centerfielder are over, then he will only keep hurting the team with his DL stints.

Hap
05-10-2006, 03:10 PM
It might be time to put Griffey to rest. If he cannot see that his days as a GG centerfielder are over, then he will only keep hurting the team with his DL stints.

And his salary.

Anyone care to do a cost-benefit analysis of Griffey's salary since 2000?

Joseph
05-10-2006, 03:23 PM
And his salary.

Anyone care to do a cost-benefit analysis of Griffey's salary since 2000?

I'm sure if you boil it down to the soup and nuts of the business of baseball that it would be quite hard to put a net value on his visibility on this team. How many times has someone gone to a game specifically to see Griffey when he was playing? I doubt it's possible to quantify it. I'm not suggesting its necessarily a positive number if it could be extrapolated from the information available, just that it is difficult to know the mindset of the casual fan and Griffey's influence on them.

Now if we are talking win shares and the like, thatís another story.

Matt700wlw
05-10-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote from the Enquirer.

He could have answered that better

TOBTTReds
05-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Has anyone else here done different things than exactly what they were hired to do to help the company???

This isn't exactly like he's cleaning the toilets at the ballpark, he's still an MLB player batting 3rd, just playing a different position. Get over yourself.

Cyclone792
05-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Has anyone else here done different things than exactly what they were hired to do to help the company???

This isn't exactly like he's cleaning the toilets at the ballpark, he's still an MLB player batting 3rd, just playing a different position. Get over yourself.

Hmmm ... sure, ok.

I'll use that same exact phrase, but with a different person and we'll rewind a few months:

This isn't exactly like Dan O'Brien's cleaning the toilets at the ballpark, he's still the Reds' General Manager, just going by his plan in the Baseball Operations Deptartment. Get over yourself.

Sounds like a winning strategy now doesn't it?

TOBTTReds
05-10-2006, 03:51 PM
This isn't exactly like Dan O'Brien's cleaning the toilets at the ballpark, he's still the Reds' General Manager, just going by his plan in the Baseball Operations Deptartment. Get over yourself.

I think I'm missing something, how does this compare?

I think a better comparison is John Allen. He changed positions to help the organization (whether it was his choice or not). He is still doing his work on the business side to help the team, which is his specialty, not baseball.

KronoRed
05-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Griffey to DH or we will keep seeing Griffey to DL.
He'll be going there anyway, he hurt himself this time on a swing.

TOBTTReds
05-10-2006, 03:55 PM

I think he said he hurt himself fielding flyballs during pregame, then finished it off on that bad swing. But I know what you are saying, the guy is just fragile. He had to have surgery a few years ago bc when rounding the bases during his HR trot he hurt himself.

Cyclone792
05-10-2006, 04:00 PM
I think I'm missing something

I think so too.

As a Reds fan, I want the organization to do what is in the best interests of the ballclub in order to win more games. Key phrase right there: winning games.

It order to achieve a plan of winning more games, it was the team's best interests to fire Dan O'Brien and bring in a competent General Manager. They did just that, and the organization as a whole has improved and become more conducive to you know ... actually winning more games, both now and in the future.

Likewise, in order to achieve a plan of winning more games, it is in the team's best interests to move Griffey out of center field, and into either left field or first base. It sure would be harsh to have an unexpectedly good season, only to fall a few games short of the playoffs and know that the run differential swing in having Griffey play center field instead of Freel/Denorfia is about 25 runs for the season. All those runs that could be saved on defense just vanish into thin air when Griffey's playing center field.

Move Griffey to left field, or move him to first base. I don't care which, but move him to one of those positions. Whichever position (LF or 1B) the team moves Griffey to, have Dunn play the other. Install Denorfia and Freel into center field and magically watch the team's overall defense improve drastically.

A simple, internal change that prevents more runs and wins more games for the team. Sounds like that follows in the plan of winning more games to me.

TOBTTReds
05-10-2006, 04:06 PM
I think so too.

As a Reds fan, I want the organization to do what is in the best interests of the ballclub in order to win more games. Key phrase right there: winning games.

It order to achieve a plan of winning more games, it was the team's best interests to fire Dan O'Brien and bring in a competent General Manager. They did just that, and the organization as a whole has improved and become more conducive to you know ... actually winning more games, both now and in the future.

Likewise, in order to achieve a plan of winning more games, it is in the team's best interests to move Griffey out of center field, and into either left field or first base. It sure would be harsh to have an unexpectedly good season, only to fall a few games short of the playoffs and know that the run differential swing in having Griffey play center field instead of Freel/Denorfia is about 25 runs for the season. All those runs that could be saved on defense just vanish into thin air when Griffey's playing center field.

Move Griffey to left field, or move him to first base. I don't care which, but move him to one of those positions. Whichever position (LF or 1B) the team moves Griffey to, have Dunn play the other. Install Denorfia and Freel into center field and magically watch the team's overall defense improve drastically.

A simple, internal change that prevents more runs and wins more games for the team. Sounds like that follows in the plan of winning more games to me.

OK, we are on the same page. I was confused with the DanO analogy (I'm glad he was completely fired, but I dont want that for Griffey, just a position change). I would think the Reds would be the dumbest team in baseball to put him in CF. If he is going to cry about being in LF, then fine, let him cry. If he refuses to play, then let him sit, we already play enough with out him. I'd love to see him at first, but I'll settle with LF. Then move Dunn to 1st.

Cyclone792
05-10-2006, 04:12 PM
OK, we are on the same page. I was confused with the DanO analogy. I would think the Reds would be the dumbest team in baseball to put him in CF. If he is going to cry about being in LF, then fine, let him cry. If he refuses to play, then let him sit, we already play enough with out him. I'd love to see him at first, but I'll settle with LF. Then move Dunn to 1st.

We're on the same page, and I may have misunderstood your first post. If so, my apologies.

But yes, the team is instantly better if Griffey is in the lineup and playing either first base or left field instead of center field. But sadly it's not going to happen, and when Griffey finally comes off the DL my thread in the ORG will become a living, breathing visual aid in how much he's killing the Reds defensively by playing center field.

It will be painful watching the trend develop as it develops, but based on the past, we already know where the trend will ultimately land.

44Magnum
05-10-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't see why the manager would have to ask for Jr's permission to move him. If he can't accept that he is no longer a CF'er, then that is his problem. I guess that shows how Jr really feels about the team.:thumbdown

smith288
05-10-2006, 04:43 PM
I hardly think Jr thinks he is above the team. He probably feels he still has the skills to play CF so scoffs at the question.

This is his livelyhood here. Telling him he sucks at it isnt something he wants to hear from some journalist. Im sure if Krivsky said something about it, Griffey would probably accept it a little better.

WMR
05-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Junior is coming off badly here...

I always thought he said he'd 'move when the time was right.'

That quote seems to have a markedly different tone.

CTA513
05-10-2006, 05:03 PM

He tweaked it shagging fly balls before the game and then hurt it even more batting.

edabbs44
05-10-2006, 05:14 PM
I hardly think Jr thinks he is above the team. He probably feels he still has the skills to play CF so scoffs at the question.

This is his livelyhood here. Telling him he sucks at it isnt something he wants to hear from some journalist. Im sure if Krivsky said something about it, Griffey would probably accept it a little better.

I'm sure someone within the organization has brought this up to Jr, since it is a completely logical move. This reeks of selfishness, and I cannot figure out why it is such a big deal. It's not like he is relinquishing a spot in the lineup...what is the big deal with moving to LF? It won't hurt his FA status (a la Soriano) since he is locked in with Cincy and it will make him look better to the fans. Plenty of players have made position moves for the benefit of the team or for the longevity of their careers.

pedro
05-10-2006, 05:17 PM
If Griffey feels that he is too fragile to play even left field then he needs to retire or ask for a trade to the AL.

TOBTTReds
05-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Here's how important Griffey thinks fielding is:

From Marc's blog:

"Defensively I’m fine, it’s just more or less getting from first-to-third, second-to-home, where I really have to push off and turn."

Sooooo, appearantly you don't have to run in the OF, or turn one way or another to get a ball.

KronoRed
05-10-2006, 05:23 PM
I like a CF who can't run ;)

PickOff
05-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Sooooo, appearantly you don't have to run in the OF, or turn one way or another to get a ball.

I'm not a Griffey apologist, and I'm totally in favor of him moving to LF or 1B, but I can see how running the bases would affect his legs significantly differently. You take one route in the outfield, the one you choose when you are at a stand still. When you run the bases you are not moving in one direction, but putting alot of torque on your knees making the turn around second or third.

KoryMac5
05-10-2006, 05:48 PM
When I read the quote I thought that he was very miffed by the whole idea that a writer/journalist would pose that question to him. So I really feel that the idea that mgmt or Narron have already asked him about switching to 1st or LF has not occurred.

klw
05-10-2006, 05:54 PM
http://members.tripod.com/~swingin/behindthescenes/fordwhip.jpg

Nomination for Whipping Boy de Jour