PDA

View Full Version : This day in Reds History

SanDiegoRed
05-10-2006, 09:45 PM
I did some surfing looking for a site. Does anyone know of such a site?

NastyBoy
05-10-2006, 10:29 PM
1999 Pete Rose, banned from all aspects of the game by Commissioner Giamatti in 1989, appears as a special instructor for the newly created Sacramento Steelheads. The team plays in the Western Baseball League which is independent, and therefore not governed by major league baseball.

http://www.nationalpastime.com/

LINEDRIVER
05-10-2006, 10:30 PM
I dont think there is a site dedicated to just Reds' history. I sometimes post Reds' history and MLB history highlights on RedsZone.

Yachtzee
05-10-2006, 10:31 PM
I dont think there is a site dedicated to Reds' history. I sometimes post Reds' history and MLB history highlights on RedsZone.

And it is much appreciated. Thank you. :thumbup:

SanDiegoRed
05-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Linedriver where do you get your info? just curious...

NastyBoy
05-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Yesterday:

1937: Reds C Ernie Lombardi ties the modern major-league record with 6 hits in six consecutive times at bat, as Cincinnati routs Philadelphia 21-10.

NastyBoy
05-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Here a few more.

In the January amateur draft, the Phillies pick Dick Ruthven, the Rangers take C Jim Sundberg, and the Cubs pick RHP Donnie Moore. The Reds pick Southern Miss punter Ray Guy on the 3rd round, but he chooses the NFL instead.

Sent down to Louisville by the Cubs, Three Finger Brown is bought by Cincinnati. He will be 11–12 with a 2.91 ERA for the 7th-place Reds.

At Cincinnati peace talks, the National League proposes a consolidated 12-team league, which the American League rejects. An agreement is reached to coexist peacefully if the AL promises to stay out of Pittsburgh. In the awarding of disputed contracts, the most hotly contested case is that of Sam Crawford, Reds OF who batted .333 and led the NL with 23 triples in 1902. The future Hall of Famer, signed for 1903 by both Detroit and the Reds, is awarded to the Tigers, having signed with them first. He will lead the AL in triples this year with 25.

redsmetz
05-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Yesterday:

1937: Reds C Ernie Lombardi ties the modern major-league record with 6 hits in six consecutive times at bat, as Cincinnati routs Philadelphia 21-10.

I looked this game up on Retrosheet. The boxscore wasn't available, but I looked at the next two days. The Reds lost the next day 10-3 and won the following day 12-3 - wow what a series. And the Reds finished last that season, right behind the Phillies. Looking at that roster, you see the nucleus of the championship teams which came in 1939 and 1940.

vaticanplum
05-11-2006, 10:07 AM
This site is pretty conducive to searching by date:

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/chronology/

You can enter a date in the box in the upper right-hand corner, and it will run through history for you. It's very thorough. This is of course all teams so you have to weed through for the Reds stuff, but it's a lot of fun.

westofyou
05-11-2006, 10:13 AM
The Reds finished last that season, right behind the Phillies. Looking at that roster, you see the nucleus of the championship teams which came in 1939 and 1940.That was the "rough house" Reds, managed by Charlie Dressen (former QB and 3rd Sacker) Charlie liked his players to have a football attitude and be fighters. He had one particular player a 3rd string catcher, who was only there for fights, his name was Gus Brittain and his stay was short, for once while watching Paul Derringer warm up he began telling Paul that he pretty much "sucked", Paul didn't like that and they ended up getting in a fight.

Gus was cut the next day.