PDA

View Full Version : Buchholz getting lit up

flyer85
05-10-2006, 10:53 PM
that BABIP normalizing hits home hard. Like I said after seeing him pitch in Cincy, he doesn't miss bats and his stuff is nothing special. He's better than the end of the Reds rotation but I honestly think his future is in the pen

Patrick Bateman
05-10-2006, 11:01 PM
With Kearns getting 4 hits and Bucky giving up 6 early runs, FCB is certainly having a bad night.

TOBTTReds
05-10-2006, 11:07 PM
With Kearns getting 4 hits and Bucky giving up 6 early runs, FCB is certainly having a bad night.

And Phillips might be getting on track with three hard hit balls today... he might go dig a hole.

red-in-la
05-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Dodgers give Tomko a 9-0 lead and he still leaves after 6.....

Patrick Bateman
05-11-2006, 12:21 AM

He threw 104 pitches.

Sabo Fan
05-11-2006, 12:44 AM

Just like Dodger fans.

OnBaseMachine
05-11-2006, 06:37 AM
Why all the nitpicking on FCB? He's a great poster. I certainly don't agree with his opinion of Kearns, but he has his opinion and I respect that. I don't really see the need to pick on him.

Falls City Beer
05-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Buchholz has one bad start on a long west coast swing. Those never happen.

I guess we should start writing Oswalt's obituary, too, after surrendering 7 runs in 4 1/3 innings in SF the other night.

MattyHo4Life
05-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Buchholz has one bad start on a long west coast swing. Those never happen.

I guess we should start writing Oswalt's obituary, too, after surrendering 7 runs in 4 1/3 innings in SF the other night.

Go ahead and start writing Pettitte's obituary as well. :p:

Falls City Beer
05-11-2006, 08:43 AM

Knowing Kearns' history of injuries and attitude, would you sign him to a multi-year deal--remember, he becomes a FA at the end of next year? He'll be 27, with a slightly above average career right fielder's OPS. Is that the kind of player you give many years to? I wouldn't. I'd be looking to cash him for something worth having the next five seasons, affordable, and most of all productive in his affordable years, unlike Kearns.

I think it's great that he's producing; I can't think of better news--it means he might actually be worth something at the deadline for once.

TC81190
05-11-2006, 08:45 AM

Except Oswalt is established and Bucholz is a rookie.

oneupper
05-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Why all the nitpicking on FCB? He's a great poster. I certainly don't agree with his opinion of Kearns, but he has his opinion and I respect that. I don't really see the need to pick on him.

It's called "friendly ribbing" :D

Falls City Beer
05-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Except Oswalt is established and Bucholz is a rookie.

So when rookies have one bad start that means they're doomed to suck for eternity? Seems a little backwards to me. Even with the bad start, his WHIP is 1.04--he's not stinking up the basepaths so far. Time will tell.

flyer85
05-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Even with the bad start, his WHIP is 1.04--he's not stinking up the basepaths so far. Time will tell.Buchholz doesn't miss enough bats to be successful in the long run as a starter, he needs at least a 50% rise in his K rate. My point was his early success was built on the smoke of a sub 15% BABIP. His BABIP is now 22% which indicates the regression to the mean is likely not complete.

Falls City Beer
05-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Buchholz doesn't miss enough bats to be successful in the long run as a starter, he needs at least a 50% rise in his K rate. My point was his early success was built on the smoke of a sub 15% BABIP. His BABIP is now 22% which indicates the regression to the mean is likely not complete.

I'm not ready to make any kind of judgment at this early point in his career as to how his BABIP is going to affect his career. Right now, I'm judging him on what he once had as stuff. But you and a lot of others say his stuff sucks, and I'm just going to have to take your word for it; I haven't seen him pitch in several years, but what he had then was great.

And as far as Phillips goes, he's had one great week and one putrid week so far as a Red. Too early to say anyone's turned any kind of corner.

MattyHo4Life
05-11-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd take Wainwright over Buchholz anyday. :)

flyer85
05-11-2006, 10:10 AM
I'd take Wainwright over Buchholz anyday. :)I would as well.

PuffyPig
05-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Knowing Kearns' history of injuries and attitude, would you sign him to a multi-year deal--remember, he becomes a FA at the end of next year? He'll be 27, with a slightly above average career right fielder's OPS. Is that the kind of player you give many years to? I wouldn't. I'd be looking to cash him for something worth having the next five seasons, affordable, and most of all productive in his affordable years, unlike Kearns.

I think it's great that he's producing; I can't think of better news--it means he might actually be worth something at the deadline for once.

I totally agree that it's unlikely that Kearns is the type of player that the Reds can afford to tie up long term. I also agree that Kearns has been injury prone.

I only disagreed with your statement that Kearns was beginning to free fall, when in reality he was just hitting his stride.

Patrick Bateman
05-11-2006, 11:55 AM

I don't disagree with that, I was just joking because of how adament you were about the 2 guys. in regards to Buchholz, it was only 1 bad game and it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Patrick Bateman
05-15-2006, 09:01 PM
I note that Buchholz has already given up an 8 spot in 3 innings today, increasing his ERA to 5.31. If he's not careful, he might soon catch Dave Williams.

flyer85
05-15-2006, 09:06 PM
taking it on the chin again tonight. ERA over 5, regression to the mean hit hard.

membengal
05-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Got lit like the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Centre tonight...

Topcat
05-15-2006, 11:12 PM

Totally agree and I like what Kearns is doing now. But he is not worth a long term cash investment. Polish him up and trade him for the most you can get.:beerme:

penantboundreds
05-16-2006, 02:09 AM
AHHHH. Kearns has had a few freak accidents, but the kid can play. Trading/not signing him would be an awful awful mistake. Kearns is maybe the most complete player *save Lopez* that the Reds have. Defense and pitching needs upgrades. That is true for most everywhere except (excluding HATT) 2nd SS Catcher and Right field