PDA

View Full Version : Coffey's ERA climbs ;)

Dunner44
05-11-2006, 12:08 AM
I hate it when a guys ERA gets dinged for inherited runners. Merc is struggling a little bit, and the double he let up led to Todd's first earned run since April 7th against the Pirates. Even with the run Merc tacked on to his total, his ERA is still below 1, sitting pretty at .90. I love what he has done so far...

reds44
05-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Him and Shack have been awesome this year.

roby
05-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Adam Dunn didn't help matters any with his juggling act in left field! Another good reason he should be at first base (although Hatteburg had a good game).

TeamBoone
05-11-2006, 01:36 AM
I hate it when a guys ERA gets dinged for inherited runners.

I don't mind it when it's really deserved, like when a guy loads the bases and they bring someone in to try to get out of the mess that was created by that pitcher.

But Coffey, was pitching well. I would "almost" guarantee that if Coffey was left in the runner would not have scored.

IslandRed
05-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I hate it when a guys ERA gets dinged for inherited runners. Merc is struggling a little bit, and the double he let up led to Todd's first earned run since April 7th against the Pirates. Even with the run Merc tacked on to his total, his ERA is still below 1, sitting pretty at .90. I love what he has done so far...

Luckily for us, places like Baseball Prospectus have better numbers for relievers than plain old ERA. I like WXRL. It's a stat that measures a team's Win Expectancy (an interesting stat in its own right) when the reliever entered the game versus the Win Expectancy of how he left it, adjusted for the quality of the hitters he faced and measured against how a replacement level pitcher would have done. Right now Coffey's #2 in MLB in WXRL, which is just outstanding.

However, WXRL is not a perfect metric for evaluating a reliever's performance, because it combines his actual performance with the situations in which he's used.

redsfan30
05-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Todd Coffey has done a superb job this season, but he has been walking quite the fine line recently.

Hopefully it doesn't start to catch up with him.