PDA

View Full Version : attendence

boobhat
05-10-2006, 11:45 PM
ive been in the process of moving the last week or so but got to a tv to watch some of the reds game tonight and was appalled by the attendence for the titanic struggle. the reds are in first and i know fans are excited but why hasnt that translated into people in the seats? any ideas? i could see this if williams was pitching but harang threw tonight. he is supposed to be the ace

boobhat
05-10-2006, 11:50 PM
14,180 and 16,000 something the night before. awful

cincinnati chili
05-10-2006, 11:59 PM
because the primary factor in attendance is a playoff appearance in the previous year

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 04:21 AM
Win some stuff you can hang up and the people will come

Heath
05-11-2006, 07:52 AM
School isn't out yet.

And it was supposed to be rainy last night.

Plus, not having a winning record in 6 years will make fans apathetic and indifferent.

REDREAD
05-11-2006, 08:46 AM
That's Carl Lindner and John Allen's legacy. A lot of fans have become apathetic, thanks to them running the team into the ground. It's going to take more than a hot month to win a lot of people back.

RedFanAlways1966
05-11-2006, 11:26 AM
And perhaps... perhaps.... perhaps the high priced venture that MLB has become is part of the problem too.

One game with the wife and two kids costs the Avg. Joe over $100 when it is all said and done.

Puffy
05-11-2006, 11:32 AM
because the primary factor in attendance is a playoff appearance in the previous year

Well, yes, but its more being good the year before. If a team wins 88 games but doesn't make the playoffs but adds a big free agent or is just young and on the upswing will get the attendence too.

redsfan30
05-11-2006, 11:45 AM
The price of gas isn't helping, either.

westofyou
05-11-2006, 12:22 PM
The price of gas isn't helping, either.
Gas costs a lot everywhere and I haven't heard that excuse by other teams or sports.

Joseph
05-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Last night was a combination of the weather, and the opponent I'd venture to guess. I do agree it's terrible to see a mostly empty ball park for a first place team.

Ringo
05-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Gas costs a lot everywhere and I haven't heard that excuse by other teams or sports.

I don't have any sort of statistical basis for this, but I always thought the Reds were more of a regional team than some others. Fans driving from Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, and Indianapolis probably will give gas prices a thought or two when making their decision.

CTA513
05-11-2006, 01:58 PM
In 2005 the White Sox averaged about 28,900 per game and they won the world series. This year they are averaging about 32,500 per game.

Reds averaged about 23,900 a game and the Indians who won 90+ games averaged about 24,600 a game. The Indians are averaging about 2,000 more people a game than the Reds and thats aftering winning 90+ games the year before.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

TeamBoone
05-11-2006, 02:00 PM
And perhaps... perhaps.... perhaps the high priced venture that MLB has become is part of the problem too.

One game with the wife and two kids costs the Avg. Joe over $100 when it is all said and done.

That's Avg Joe's fault (at least it is if the game they're going to is being played at the GAB). With a bit of planning, an enjoyable time can be had by all for much less than that.

BTW, if the Reds keep it up, I guarantee the attendance numbers will pick up too. Weather-dependent, of course.

westofyou
05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
I don't have any sort of statistical basis for this, but I always thought the Reds were more of a regional team than some others. Fans driving from Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, and Indianapolis probably will give gas prices a thought or two when making their decision.
True, but that should probably only effect weekend attendance, most folks aren't going to make that drive for weeknight games.

Heath
05-11-2006, 04:09 PM
That's Avg Joe's fault (at least it is if the game they're going to is being played at the GAB). With a bit of planning, an enjoyable time can be had by all for much less than that.

BTW, if the Reds keep it up, I guarantee the attendance numbers will pick up too. Weather-dependent, of course.

Yep, dinner on the way at Frisch's/Skyline, 4 $5 seats, a bag of popcorn, a shared drink for the kids and one for the adults and a splurge of an ice cream plus parking isn't that total off base then doing the same thing at a movie.

Plus, the word "no" is used sometimes as well ;)

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Plus, the word "no" is used sometimes as well ;)
No? what's this NO you speak of? :D

Heath
05-11-2006, 04:11 PM
No? what's this NO you speak of? :D

Have little Krono's and you'd know.....:D

Little Krono's ----> :yikes:

Reds1
05-11-2006, 04:52 PM
I thnk Griffey being gone has had an effect on attendance too!

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 04:56 PM
I thnk Griffey being gone has had an effect on attendance too!
I doubt it, people used to say Casey being traded would kill attendance, it hasn't.

REDREAD
05-11-2006, 05:03 PM
I doubt it, people used to say Casey being traded would kill attendance, it hasn't.

If Casey were still here, we'd have 10k more per night.. Just kidding :laugh:

dsmith421
05-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Granted, it's more expensive than the 20-25 games I used to go to in 1998-2000 (bus from Clifton, $4 ticket, backpack full of beer), but GABP is still a good deal and can be enjoyed for far less than $100 by a family of four.

$20 for 4 $5 tickets. $10 for parking. Say $30 for hot dogs and sodas at the game. Or eat at Skyline beforehand. Easy enough. Cheaper than dinner and a movie, the zoo, the aquarium, etc.

George Foster
05-11-2006, 11:55 PM
We just can't drive 4 hours round trip during the week, especially before school is out. However if I lived in Cincy, or within 30min. from home I'd go ALOT more during the week. I can't believe there are not more locals at the game. It would seem the locals would come more during the week, at least 25-28 thousand.

Having 115 games on TV can't help local attandence.

KronoRed
05-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Having 115 games on TV can't help local attandence.
It should be 162, it helps create a fan base.

boobhat
05-12-2006, 10:02 AM
last nights attendence was 16,716

BRM
05-12-2006, 10:13 AM
last nights attendence was 16,716

I wonder how many were still there when Junior hit the walk-off.

redsrule2500
05-12-2006, 01:21 PM
it's cold outside

Heath
05-12-2006, 02:44 PM
I wonder how many were still there when Junior hit the walk-off.

KronoRed
05-12-2006, 03:32 PM
it's cold outside
A retractable roof would have helped :D

The_jbh
05-12-2006, 05:07 PM
The fact is people don't believe... if we are in 1st or 2nd in June then we'll see the fans out there. TO be honest im a hardcore fan and i still dont believe. We've been in the race early in the past and they fizzle by the All star break... UC OSU and OU still having another month of school doesn't help either. IU, Ball State, and Miami are the only schools out allready in the area i believe...

TeamBoone
05-12-2006, 05:57 PM
I believe and I won't be there for one game during this homestand.

Excuse or not, I don't enjoy going to a baseball game in the rain when it's in the 40's. Football, yes; baseball, no. I don't know what the difference is, but there definitely is one.

If that makes me a bad fan, so be it. I'll be at plenty of other games.

guttle11
05-12-2006, 06:10 PM
The fact is people don't believe... if we are in 1st or 2nd in June then we'll see the fans out there. TO be honest im a hardcore fan and i still dont believe. We've been in the race early in the past and they fizzle by the All star break... UC OSU and OU still having another month of school doesn't help either. IU, Ball State, and Miami are the only schools out allready in the area i believe...

UD is out. Thank goodness.

cincinnati chili
05-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Well, yes, but its more being good the year before. If a team wins 88 games but doesn't make the playoffs but adds a big free agent or is just young and on the upswing will get the attendence too.

You'd think that winning 88 games matters. And it does some, but not as much as you think. I did a bunch of regressions a few years back and actually wrote an article that got published in some dorky academic journal. I can email it if you really have the desire to be bored to death.

For example, the Padres can expect a bigger effect from last year's playoff run than a team like the Indians, which was a clearly better team.

The other key variable was team payroll. It doesn't matter so much what you do the year before, if you sell everyone off.

alloverjr
05-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Perpetually bad baseball does that, no other real excuses. They had 7k kids down there the other night on a school night, so there goes that excuse. Sure those tix were free, but has been pointed out, you can buy a couple cheap seats that probably cost the same as a 12-pack. I haven't been to a game since June 2004 and I was a season ticket holder for a decade and live 4 exits from the stadium. It doesn't mean I don't follow the team, but poor play year in and year out coupled with pathetic PR will do that to some. If they begin to assemble a good team I'll probably go back, but just like '04 I expect this club to collectively play to their career numbers and fall out of the race by Independence Day.

Heath
05-13-2006, 10:56 AM
I go once a month, drive down with some folks (family, friends, etc) and go up to the window, ask for the tickets I need and walk-in.

It's an hour each way. It's suitable for me.

Hubba
05-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Perpetually bad baseball does that, no other real excuses. They had 7k kids down there the other night on a school night, so there goes that excuse. Sure those tix were free, but has been pointed out, you can buy a couple cheap seats that probably cost the same as a 12-pack. I haven't been to a game since June 2004 and I was a season ticket holder for a decade and live 4 exits from the stadium. It doesn't mean I don't follow the team, but poor play year in and year out coupled with pathetic PR will do that to some. If they begin to assemble a good team I'll probably go back, but just like '04 I expect this club to collectively play to their career numbers and fall out of the race by Independence Day.
Yep you are a fan.

KronoRed
05-13-2006, 03:27 PM
You put up with a lot of bad baseball, I don't blame you one bit for taking a wait and see on this team.

Wheelhouse
05-13-2006, 05:20 PM
If the fans aren't coming to see a first place team, it's John Allen's fault. He's not presenting the team to the public in a way that will sell tickets.

Hubba
05-13-2006, 10:03 PM
You put up with a lot of bad baseball, I don't blame you one bit for taking a wait and see on this team. A real fan only goes during the years that they win championships.

RFS62
05-13-2006, 10:08 PM
So, now you're saying the fans aren't clutch?

Not scrappy, perhaps?

Don't do the little things?

KronoRed
05-13-2006, 10:11 PM
A real fan only goes during the years that they win championships.
I think putting up with 10 years of a lot of bad baseball wins him real fan status ;)

KronoRed
05-13-2006, 10:13 PM
So, now you're saying the fans aren't clutch?

Not scrappy, perhaps?

Don't do the little things?
..or play the game the right way.

alloverjr
05-13-2006, 10:28 PM
A real fan only goes during the years that they win championships.

I don't think you can say someone's not a fan based on whether they go to games or not. Certainly not someone you don't know. I'm no less a fan now than I was in 1992. I've simply chosen to follow them on radio or tv instead of in person.

In order to get the attendance up I think they need to do a MUCH better job of marketing and hyping the team. There has to be more than short term performance to get many people excited and out to the park (I don't include myself in this). I know a number of people who would fall into the casual fan mold who couldn't name half of the starting eight. Those are the people that need to be targeted to get attendance up, not folks on this board.

GAC
05-14-2006, 08:24 AM
The Cincinnati Reds have always had a problem with attendance..... always. Even in the BRM days, and when they are winning.

Worry about attendance after school is out and parents don't have as much kid activities that take priority.

They'll crack 2 mil. How far over they'll go is yet to be determined.

I've been going to Red games for 40 years, and saw more average/mediocre teams (with the BRM sandwiched in there) then really good ones.

Yes, I want a winning, competitive team. But I have to say that I go more to the games for [u]the game of baseball, and my love for it[/b], more then anything else.

The casual fan, which comprises alot of there attendance, will not IMO.

GAC
05-14-2006, 08:32 AM
True, but that should probably only effect weekend attendance, most folks aren't going to make that drive for weeknight games.

Exactly. I'm a perfect example. I'm 2+ hrs from Cincy (north). There is no way I can go to a weekday game. I work 3rd shift, which makes it impossible. But even if I worked 1st, I still have various kid's activities during the week, and a 7:10 gametime, when most people don't get of work till 4 or 5, makes it pretty hard to make it down there to a game when you have a 2 hr drive just to get into town.

Your weekday game attendance is primarily driven by "locals" who are within an hour of the park.

GAC
05-14-2006, 08:38 AM
If the fans aren't coming to see a first place team, it's John Allen's fault. He's not presenting the team to the public in a way that will sell tickets.

I don't believe that for one second.

And maybe I'm wrong, but is that the department/area that Allen is now in? I thought he was placed in the "number cruncher" area (which is where he belongs)?

Fans are not gonna be swayed (or deceived) by good PR when they see the product. I don't think no amount of PR is gonna greatly increase attendance.

Reminds me of the no fat yogurt episode on Seinfeld. :lol:

They had attendance problems in '99 when they were winning.

Welcome to Cincinnati. ;)

Hubba
05-14-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't think you can say someone's not a fan based on whether they go to games or not. Certainly not someone you don't know. I'm no less a fan now than I was in 1992. I've simply chosen to follow them on radio or tv instead of in person.

In order to get the attendance up I think they need to do a MUCH better job of marketing and hyping the team. There has to be more than short term performance to get many people excited and out to the park (I don't include myself in this). I know a number of people who would fall into the casual fan mold who couldn't name half of the starting eight. Those are the people that need to be targeted to get attendance up, not folks on this board.You are right I have no right to judge anyone. I am sorry if I offended you. When I lived in the area I went to the games to see my favorite team play winning was a plus.

cReds1
05-14-2006, 06:24 PM
You are right I have no right to judge anyone. I am sorry if I offended you. When I lived in the area I went to the games to see my favorite team play winning was a plus.

I don't think someone is not a fan if they don't go to the game or not, but I think someone can not talk about the attendance if they don't attend. It is like when a politician is elected and someone complains about him or her, but never even voted. If you did not attend or did not vote then you can't complain about the attendance or the so called politician.

butlerbulldogs
05-14-2006, 09:16 PM
i could get a family of 4 to a reds game for 30 bucks, pack cokes, bring some peanuts, pack some sandwiches, and buy each of the kids a frosty malt...done

you don't need to buy 2 hats, 2 programs, cokes and everything for the kids, you are going for the game

Roy Tucker
05-15-2006, 03:51 PM
i could get a family of 4 to a reds game for 30 bucks, pack cokes, bring some peanuts, pack some sandwiches, and buy each of the kids a frosty malt...done

you don't need to buy 2 hats, 2 programs, cokes and everything for the kids, you are going for the game
Do you have kids butlerbulldogs?

KittyDuran
05-15-2006, 04:54 PM

you don't need to buy 2 hats, 2 programs, cokes and everything for the kids, you are going for the gameMy Dad would say the same thing - but would be even cheaper. He hated and still hates baseball, and the only way I could go to the games in the 70s was if the tickets were free or it was my birthday. We usually ate at home and between the four of us (Mom, Dad, me and little sister) shared two cokes and a bag of peanuts. I didn't dare ask for anything else and I bought a lineup card with my allowance.

Do you have kids butlerbulldogs?
Now, I don't have kids - but if I wanted to go to the games and needed to bring the kid(s) along, AND they may or may not like going to games, it would probably cost more just to keep them happy and for me to enjoy the games. So bring kids = spend more money to keep them happy.