PDA

View Full Version : Google Knows That There is Lots of Reds interest in Edmonton

Unassisted
05-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Google rolled out a new web site recently called Google Trends (http://www.google.com/trends?q=reds). You can enter a search term and get statistics on how often it has been entered and the location in the world where the most searches come from. I decided to try the search term "reds."

As you might expect, the most searches for "Reds" originate from the Cincinnati area, followed somewhat closely by the Dayton area. The rest of the Top 10 list is interesting, though.

1. Cincinnati United States
2. Dayton United States
3. Lexington United States
4. Louisville United States
5. Columbus United States
6. Edmonton Canada
7. Indianapolis United States
8. Brisbane Australia
9. Cleveland United States
10. Tampa United States

I think the Brisbane Australia entry on that list can be explained away by searches for an Australian soccer team that sometimes shows up when I search for "Reds" links. But it's harder to figure why Edmonton, Alberta Canada shows up at #6. The NHL Edmonton Oilers uniform colors are blue, black and red, mostly black or blue. The CFL Edmonton Eskimos uniform colors are Green and Yellow. Must be something less obvious.

Anyone have a theory or explanation?

The amount of interest from the Tampa area was interesting, too.

The news graphs show some interesting peaks and valleys in the searches for "Reds." April 5, 2004 was the busiest day for that search in the last 2-1/2 years. The Dave Miley firing created the greatest volume of news stories during that period, but not much of a bump in searches.

Anyway, there's plenty to look at on that page (http://www.google.com/trends?q=reds) if you want a peek into the psyche of Reds fans on the Internet. :cool:

redsmetz
05-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Looks like there might be a concert venue in Edmonton called Reds.

Patrick Bateman
05-11-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm very close to Edmonton, and I don't think I have ever met 1 reds fan around here.

TOBTTReds
05-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Type in Cincinnati Reds, and this is what you get:

1. Loveland United States

2. Cincinnati United States

3. Oxford United States

4. Dayton United States

5. Columbus United States

6. Lexington United States

7. Louisville United States

8. Dublin United States

9. Charleston United States

10. Indianapolis United States

Joseph
05-11-2006, 01:15 PM
If you search specifically for 'Cincinnati Reds' the results are a tad different:

1. Hamilton United States
2. Loveland United States
3. Cincinnati United States
4. Oxford United States
5. Dayton United States
6. Louisville United States
7. Columbus United States
8. Lexington United States
9. Dublin United States
10. Indianapolis United States

Very cool feature though. Thanks for pointing it out.

RBA
05-11-2006, 01:58 PM
for Ken Griffey Jr

1. Cincinnati United States

2. Seattle United States

3. Chicago United States

4. New York United States

5. Atlanta United States

Roy Tucker
05-11-2006, 02:19 PM
The FAQ says "Google Trends uses IP address information from our server logs to make a best guess about where queries originated.".

Seems a best-guess kind of thing. Home IP addresses may be relatively accurate but corporate-based ones I'm skeptical of. I show up as being from Boylston MA while I'm actually in Blue Ash OH.

paulrichjr
05-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Type in baseball and Cincinnati shows up 4th behind St. Louis, Chicago and then Houston. And you guys thought Cincinnati wasn't a baseball town anymore.

This is really cool by the way. Thanks for pointing it out.

princeton
05-11-2006, 02:30 PM
I show up as being from Boylston MA while I'm actually in Blue Ash OH.

you're channeling M2

Unassisted
05-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Seems a best-guess kind of thing. Home IP addresses may be relatively accurate but corporate-based ones I'm skeptical of. I show up as being from Boylston MA while I'm actually in Blue Ash OH.I know what you mean. I've seen my share of web-server logs, so I remember the days when most web traffic appeared to come from Vienna, VA thanks to a certain large ISP with headquarters there.

I've made a couple dozen searches on it so far and I haven't seen any geographic results that seemed counter-intuitive. My small sample makes me think Google's best-guesses seem pretty darn good.

{edit}OK, I found one that I'm having trouble accepting. (Clippers) I have trouble believing that the Yankees AAA team draws more searches from its home city than the NBA team with the same name. :help:

Unassisted
05-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Type in baseball and Cincinnati shows up 4th behind St. Louis, Chicago and then Houston. And you guys thought Cincinnati wasn't a baseball town anymore. Cincinnati shows up 4th in searches for "Super Bowl." I think it may be a bit obsessed about another sport, too. ;)

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 04:41 PM
So the Reds should exploit the Australian market? :D