PDA

View Full Version : Milton ready to return to rotation (5/11)

TeamBoone
05-11-2006, 12:41 PM
05-11-2006

Milton ready to return to rotation
He expects to start exhibition game 1st
By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

Eric Milton walked off the mound with a huge smile on his face, and that in itself was an indication of progress.

The left-hander, on the disabled list after arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, threw 85 pitches in a simulated game Wednesday afternoon. Facing Chris Denorfia, Quinton McCracken and Ray Olmedo, he looked good and felt better.

So good that he said he expects to make one start that doesn't count - Monday against Pittsburgh in the Hall of Fame Game at Cooperstown, N.Y. - and return to the Reds' rotation.

"I'm guessing that's probably it," he said. "I'll probably be (activated) in Detroit."

Manager Jerry Narron wasn't ready to jump on that timetable, saying the Reds would see how Milton feels today before officially giving him the Monday assignment, then see how he looks in that outing before taking the next step.

"He looks pretty close to me," said Narron. "It's just a matter of him getting back in the routine of it. You miss a couple weeks, you're just going to have to get back up to where you were. It'll take a couple starts to do that."

Nonetheless, Milton clearly was pleased with what he had done Wednesday.

"What I like is my arm is fresh," he said. "My arm feels great."

Not only did he throw all his pitches, "I was making stuff up - dropping down and adding some stuff."

Milton last pitched April 18, when the Marlins touched him up for nine runs in 4 1/3 innings. He had surgery six days later, and the original projection for his return was three or four weeks.

His proposed timetable falls on the short side of that range, but it remains to be seen whether the club will back Milton - known for his hard-charging approach to these things - in his quest to be back on the mound next weekend against the Tigers.

As far as Milton is concerned, there's no reason to dawdle.

"Today would have been the day to see how I felt and today was normal," he said. "That's a good sign. Everything's good; there's really no holding me back."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060511/SPT05/605110313/1027

BRM
05-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I wonder what his fastball was clocked at in that simulated game.

RedsMan3203
05-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Not only did he throw all his pitches, "I was making stuff up - dropping down and adding some stuff."

:help:

Joseph
05-11-2006, 12:54 PM

The Arroyo effect?

RedsManRick
05-11-2006, 01:05 PM
"That looked like the Terminator, only slower. Maybe it was his Out-of-Stater! Or it could have been the Hibernator. That baby is definitely going away for the winter. Whatever for Milton, it could be see-ya-later, he's probably gonna become a spectator."

paulrichjr
05-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Milton from the first two games of this season could really make this team better. Getting Dave Williams out of the starting rotation should add at least 5 games to the win column even if you are putting Milton in.

membengal
05-11-2006, 01:45 PM
So...when Milton comes back, does the Lizard or Williams come out of the rotation?

Caveat Emperor
05-11-2006, 01:59 PM
The left-hander, on the disabled list after arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, threw 85 pitches in a simulated game Wednesday afternoon. Facing Chris Denorfia, Quinton McCracken and Ray Olmedo, he looked good and felt better.

Ahh...nothing like a little confidence building against 3 players with a combined 23 home runs in 15 years of service time in the bigs.

Maybe he oughtta go rustle up a couple knotholers too and really challenge himself.

CTA513
05-11-2006, 02:01 PM
So...when Milton comes back, does the Lizard or Williams come out of the rotation?

It should be Williams, but I wouldnt be surprised at all if they left Williams in the rotation.

vic715
05-11-2006, 02:59 PM
It should be Williams, but I wouldnt be surprised at all if they left Williams in the rotation.

If OB were still running the show I'd bet on Williams ,but now that he's gone smarters decisions may prevail.

Reds1
05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
I think more then ever Williams and EZ starts will be looked out. I think Williams could hit the pen, but then again we might have option issues. EZ might be sent down by default, but with this FO you never know. I'm happy to see Milton back and I hope he's were he was before that injury. Like 4-5 good starts including ST.

BRM
05-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Should we really be looking forward to Eric Milton returning to the rotation?

djsauter
05-11-2006, 03:34 PM
He may be ready, but he is not welcome.

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Ahh...nothing like a little confidence building against 3 players with a combined 23 home runs in 15 years of service time in the bigs.

Maybe he oughtta go rustle up a couple knotholers too and really challenge himself.
Who knows, the knotholers might have more power.

Big Daddy P
05-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah, and the National League hitters are salivating like a wild herd of Pavlovian dogs!

registerthis
05-11-2006, 04:22 PM

he is if he can pitch effectively. Williams and Ramirez aren't welcome, either, but we have to throw someone out there.

Buckeye33
05-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Should we really be looking forward to Eric Milton returning to the rotation?

We have to deal with Dave Williams every 5th day usually. I'd rather watch Milton pitch than Williams that is for sure.

TeamBoone
05-11-2006, 05:12 PM

I disagree.

Until his knee needed to be "cleaned out", he was pitching effectively for the Reds this season. If the knee truly is the problem, I have no reason to believe that he can't continue to do so.

I think more then ever Williams and EZ starts will be looked out. I think Williams could hit the pen, but then again we might have option issues.

Please help me out here. Many say move Williams to the pen. Why? Is he going to magically become a decent pitcher out of the pen? He's just flat out dismal on the mound. IMHO, he'll be absolutely no help out of the bullpen. In fact, he'd probably be a detriment... just like he is in the rotation.

(and I hate saying stuff like that about any ballplayer, but he really is just awful.)

BRM
05-11-2006, 05:17 PM
We have to deal with Dave Williams every 5th day usually. I'd rather watch Milton pitch than Williams that is for sure.

I'd rather not have to watch either one. They have to run someone out there though and the internal options aren't all that great.