PDA

View Full Version : Griffey JR. Activated

6-4-3
05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Per Marc

The Reds have activated Ken Griffey Jr. from the disabled list and optioned Chris Denorfia to Louisville.

Haven't seen a lineup yet, but I don't imagine they'd activate him if he wasn't going to start. Wet conditions out there today, though...

Reds1
05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally.

Strikes Out Looking
05-11-2006, 03:31 PM
It's about time. Good luck Jr.!

redsmetz
I'm am absolutely shocked. This is some seriously crummy, cold, wet weather. I don't get it. I better light a votive candle tonight.

BRM
Thank goodness McCracken didn't get let go.

Matt700wlw
05-11-2006, 03:33 PM
If he's in the lineup today...I bet Freel sits.

Of course with the conditions today....I almost cringe thinking of how he could hurt himself

kyred14
05-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Didn't see this one coming.

OnBaseMachine
05-11-2006, 03:39 PM
McCracken stays over Denorfia?

Blah.

BRM
What are the odds that he's in CF if and when he plays?

BRM

Blah.

The very reason for my sarcastic remark earlier.

redsfaninbsg
05-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Wow, glad to see it. I hope Jr. can add to this already powerful offense.

Matt700wlw
05-11-2006, 03:40 PM
What are the odds that he's in CF if and when he plays?

He'll be in center, and he'll bat 3rd. Count on it.

BRM
05-11-2006, 03:41 PM
He'll be in center, and he'll bat 3rd. Count on it.

Batting 3rd, I like. Playing CF, I do not like.

OnBaseMachine
05-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Marc's updated post says Griffey is hitting 3rd and playing CF.

Outfield defense just got worse.

Reds Fanatic
I am very glad he is back. I just hope he can stay healthy. This whole weekend is supposed to be cool and have a chance of rain so hopefully he is ok playing in those conditions.

Matt700wlw
Batting 3rd, I like. Playing CF, I do not like.

Well....it is the case.

Ken Griffey Jr. is in tonight’s starting lineup against the Nationals, playing center field and batting third

From a press release just sent to me from Butcher

Reds Fanatic
05-11-2006, 03:43 PM
So I would guess Lopez bats leadoff now. I wonder who would bat 2nd.

redsfan30
I too can't imagine they'd activate him if he weren't going to play tonight.

BuckWoody
Whoa! I'm shocked as well...this is some serious non-Junior type weather. Maybe they've had the outfield covered all day. :confused:

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 03:45 PM

Blah.
Agreed, I know the whole "Deno needs at bats" argument and I disagree, he should be up here getting the extra OF at bats.

Nice JR is back.

BRM
05-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Marc's updated post says Griffey is hitting 3rd and playing CF.

Outfield defense just got worse.

Significantly. Either the Reds don't care about OF defense or they are blind. Maybe they are just biding their time until they can work a trade though. We'll see I guess.

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 03:46 PM
So I would guess Lopez bats leadoff now. I wonder who would bat 2nd.
I'd bet money on Phillips.

It won't be The Hat because that would be 3 lefties in a row.

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Significantly. Either the Reds don't care about OF defense or they are blind.
They are living in the past when he was a gold glover.

Matt700wlw
05-11-2006, 03:47 PM
SS Lopez
2B Phillips
CF Griffey
RF Kearns
LF Dunn
3B Encarnacion
1B Hatteberg
C Ross
P Arroyo

That's my guess

44Magnum
05-11-2006, 03:47 PM
He is neither fit for CF nor third in the order.

Matt700wlw
05-11-2006, 03:49 PM

It's not going to change.

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 03:49 PM
I expect...

Lopez
Phillips
JR
Dunn
Kearns
Hat
EE
Catcher

OnBaseMachine
05-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Lopez
Encarnacion
Griffey
Dunn
Kearns
Hatteberg
Phillips
Ross
Arroyo

That's what I would use tonight.

BRM
05-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Lopez
Encarnacion
Griffey
Dunn
Kearns
Hatteberg
Phillips
Ross
Arroyo

I'd like to see EE get some AB's in the two hole and see how he does. My hunch is he would rake with Junior or Dunn hitting behind him.

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Cue up the "EE can't bat 2nd he doesn't make enough contact and do the little things" ;)

BRM
05-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Cue up the "EE can't bat 2nd he doesn't make enough contact and do the little things" ;)

True. We'd rather have a low-OBP guy with good bat on ball skills in the two hole.

Cyclone792
05-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I expect...

Lopez
Phillips
JR
Dunn
Kearns
Hat
EE
Catcher

Brandon Phillips in 2006 = 25.25 PA/BB

Jerry Narron sure knows how to shoot himself in the foot if he believes that Mr. Swing at Everything and his .330 on-base percentage belongs any higher than 7th in the order, much less batting friggin' 2nd.

flyer85
05-11-2006, 04:05 PM
What are the odds that he's in CF if and when he plays?100%

danwl
05-11-2006, 04:05 PM
True. We'd rather have a low-OBP guy with good bat on ball skills in the two hole.

But ... who is a scrappy veteran who knows how to win.:0

flyer85
05-11-2006, 04:07 PM
So I would guess Lopez bats leadoff now. I wonder who would bat 2nd.That was my first thought, likely Phillips. Dunn did Lopez some favors last night because he let some hittable pitches go by so Lopez could steal.

flyer85
05-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Maybe they've had the outfield covered all day. :confused:with what?

traderumor
05-11-2006, 04:09 PM
with what?Grass :evil:

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 04:09 PM
The worlds biggest umbrella?

flyer85
05-11-2006, 04:10 PM
I'd bet money on Phillips.

It won't be The Hat because that would be 3 lefties in a row.unless Dunn is not hitting 5th.

3 possibilities
Lopez, Phillips, Jr, Dunn, Kearns, Hatty, EE, C
Lopez, Hatty, Jr, Kearns, Dunn, EE, Phillips, C
Lopez, Phillips, Jr, Kearns, Dunn, EE, Hatty, C

I am going with the 2nd one.

BuckU
05-11-2006, 04:12 PM
I am very glad he is back. I just hope he can stay healthy. This whole weekend is supposed to be cool and have a chance of rain so hopefully he is ok playing in those conditions.

I think that was the point of holding him back longer. They wanted him to be at a point where there are no restrictions.

Big Daddy P
05-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Hey, I like Jr., he's a classy guy. Was a great player once upon a time. Still an impact player at times...

But... this injury thing is beyond absurd already. I'm so beyond depending on anything from him. I almost wish for his sake the Reds would trade him somewhere he might see some better luck.

Ahhh, jr., what could have been....

EKURed
05-11-2006, 04:15 PM

He is the best hitter on the team...

redsfan30
05-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Centerfield, you're probably right. But third in the order?? Where else would you put him?

Far East
05-11-2006, 04:19 PM
I'd like to see:

Lopez
Hatteberg
Griffey
Kearns
Dunn
Encarnacion
Phillips
Ross
Arroyo

I know that this "demotes' Dunn one slot, but Hateberg can take pitches or pull the ball through the 3 1/2 hole or make contact on the hit-and-run with Lopez the runner at first base.

And the "Hat" will get on base ahead of the "Bat".

registerthis
05-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Jr in CF.

I just don't get it. Makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

flyer85
05-11-2006, 04:21 PM
He is the best hitter on the team...who'll be lucky to play 1/2 time.

Matt700wlw
05-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey, I like Jr., he's a classy guy. Was a great player once upon a time. Still an impact player at times...

But... this injury thing is beyond absurd already. I'm so beyond depending on anything from him. I almost wish for his sake the Reds would trade him somewhere he might see some better luck.

Ahhh, jr., what could have been....

If the Reds want to trade him because of his injury issues....why would another team want him for the same reasons?

flyer85
05-11-2006, 04:23 PM
I'd like to see:

Lopez
Hatteberg
Griffey
Kearns
Dunn
Encarnacion
Phillips
Ross
Arroyo

I know that this "demotes' Dunn one slot, but Hateberg can take pitches or pull the ball through the 3 1/2 hole or make contact on the hit-and-run with Lopez the runner at first base.

And the "Hat" will get on base ahead of the "Bat".
The problem is that Hatty and Jr are base cloggers with their lack of speed. I haven't decided if Hatty's propensity to take pitches outweighs his lack of speed.

edabbs44
Shocked and disappointed....

Shocked b/c I thought he would never come back.

Disappointed b/c we now know who runs the team.

flyer85
Jr in CF.

I just don't get it. Makes absolutely no sense to me at all.it was a fait accompli. A least this team is different from the past in that they know Jr isn't a key to winning.

Matt700wlw
05-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Jr in CF.

I just don't get it. Makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

DH makes all the sense in the world....however, the Reds are in the wrong league.

He's a centerfielder. He's always been a centerfielder. If he's going to change positions, it's not going to happen in the middle of a season. I doubt it will happen at all.

Puffy

OK, not fit for CF I can see - but for batting third? Gimme a break.

Jr's Boy
Maybe he'll just pinch hit tonight.

flyer85
05-11-2006, 04:26 PM
DH makes all the sense in the world....however, the Reds are in the wrong leaguehe can play there next week in Detroit. If he stays healthy that long it will be interesting to see if they attempt to have him patrol the very large CF in Motown.

redsfan30
05-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Disappointed b/c we now know who runs the team.
Since you're in the obviously in the clubhouse on a daily basis...you should be able to tell us exactly how many times Jerry Narron asked Junior to switch positions.

redsfan30
05-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Maybe he'll just pinch hit tonight.
Already been announced he's in the starting lineup.

Matt700wlw
05-11-2006, 04:27 PM
he can play there next week in Detroit. If he stays healthy that long it will be interesting to see if they attempt to have him patrol the very large CF in Motown.

I would definitely use him as the DH during inteleague play. It's the most logical choice. It keeps his pop in the lineup, reduces the risk of injury, and allows them to add Freel's speed....all at the same time.

Puffy
05-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Since you're in the obviously in the clubhouse on a daily basis...you should be able to tell us exactly how many times Jerry Narron asked Junior to switch positions.

Come on - its much better to just bash Junior based on what a writer says rather than have proof of something.

flyer85
05-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Just like the Dunn to LF situation we have no idea what really happened behind closed doors, all we are left with is vague comments, what someone supposedly said(although not directly quoted) and speculation. The question is what was the decision making process to determine who goes to the bench and what options were actually considered.

Matt700wlw
05-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Just like the Dunn to LF situation we have no idea what really happens behind closed doors. The question is what was the decision making process to determine who goes to the bench and what options were actually considered.

Well, I do know finances and options are a large part of the decision making...

CTA513
05-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Zack Day is probably having flashbacks of getting his arm fractured/broken by a Griffey line drive.

:evil:

flyer85
05-11-2006, 04:33 PM
I would definitely use him as the DH during inteleague play. It's the most logical choice. It keeps his pop in the lineup, reduces the risk of injury, and allows them to add Freel's speed....all at the same time.However, Jr has been quoted in the past as saying he does not like to DH. If someone wants to speculate or know who is calling the shots then waiting to see where he plays in Detroit is likely to be a much better indicator than seeing him in CF tonight.

SirFelixCat
05-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Not surprised, but I would not have minded seeing Jr. do a rehab stint to get him back into swing....

redsfan30
05-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Not surprised, but I would not have minded seeing Jr. do a rehab stint to get him back into swing....
He hasn't done a rehad assignment with any of the other injuries, no need to start now.

Plus we'd just have to deal with the morons who would have thought he should have stayed there.....

flyer85
05-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Not surprised, but I would not have minded seeing Jr. do a rehab stint to get him back into swing....it only makes sense and almost everyone, even established stars do it. That way at least you face some game speed pitching before attempting to play for keeps.

edabbs44

Well it's either that or Narron and Co. is the most incompetent coaching staff in the world. And sorry if I offended you as a Griffey fan, but I think everyone except you and Jr. knows it's time to make a switch. He can hit 3rd, no problem, but he has no business playing CF.

Matt700wlw
However, Jr has been quoted in the past as saying he does not like to DH. If someone wants to speculate or know who is calling the shots then waiting to see where he plays in Detroit is likely to be a much better indicator than seeing him in CF tonight.

I would agree with that.

flyer85
05-11-2006, 04:37 PM
He hasn't done a rehad assignment with any of the other injuries, no need to start now.he has also on more than one occassion struggled mightily with the bat the first week back after a long absence.

redsfan30
05-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Well it's either that or Narron and Co. is the most incompetent coaching staff in the world. And sorry if I offended you as a Griffey fan, but I think everyone except you and Jr. knows it's time to make a switch. He can hit 3rd, no problem, but he has no business playing CF.
Scroll up in the thread and you'll see that I am in favor of moving Griffey to left field.

What I said was don't say Junior runs this team when you have no proof whatsoever that Narron/Krivsky has approached him about it.

Guacarock
05-11-2006, 04:41 PM
The lineup I'd like to see:

Lopez SS
Kearns RF
Griffey CF
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Hatteberg 1B
Phillips 2B
D Ross C

Why bat Kearns second? Besides the fact that he's raking, he can draw a walk, steal a base, advance a runner. Also, he breaks up all the lefties in the batting order.

The one better variation on this lineup: Griffey at 1B, still batting third; with Freel/Denorfia taking over CF. But why daydream, when it won't happen anytime soon.

edabbs44
05-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Scroll up in the thread and you'll see that I am in favor of moving Griffey to left field.

What I said was don't say Junior runs this team when you have no proof whatsoever that Narron/Krivsky has approached him about it.

It is just my opinion that the most obvious baseball move in the game right now (besides yanking Williams from the rotation) is moving Jr to left. And if the front office hasn't approached him about it, then they should all be fired.

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 04:54 PM
he has also on more than one occassion struggled mightily with the bat the first week back after a long absence.
Agreed, if he is going to start then I'd slide him in the 5th spot, or even 2nd to start off with.

PickOff
05-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Lopez
Encarnacion
Griffey
Dunn
Kearns
Hatteberg
Phillips
Ross
Arroyo

This is all assuming that Freel is not playing second, which I'm not sure about. But, I do think Narron will bat EE in the two hole because he sees a good amount of pitches, and offers some speed. I think the above lineup is what we will see if Freel is on the bench.

Shaggy Sanchez
05-11-2006, 04:59 PM
I agree that Jr. isn't what he used to be in CF, but for everyone to just keep saying he needs to be traded, or moved to 1st or LF is crazy. In reality what team would trade for a guy who has the injury history of Jr. the last few years? I am also sure that AL teams know that JR. doesn't like to DH (as a lot of players don't like to do) so I don't see a team even thinking about trading for him for that purpose, also are we seriously acting like JR is the first player to ever say he didn't want to move positions or play DH. In order to move JR to LF we have to assume that Dunn will move to 1B and he has said he wanted no part of that in the past, although that doesn't seem to matter as much as JR saying he doesn't want to move. Moving JR to 1B is something that is always out there but JR ad some of the Reds staff have even said that he would be more likely to injure his legs at 1B than the OF because of all the strecthing.

The bottom line is Griffey is going to be here until his contract is up and he is going to be in the lineup everyday most likely in CF everyday that he is healthy. The Reds still know that Griffey puts fans in the seats and also know that if he can stay healthy enough to get close to 600 he will be a cash cow for them.

I also hope to see all of the same people complaining about him know still complaining throughout the rest of season if he stays healthy and puts up numbers similar to last year.

flyer85
05-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Dunn will move to 1B and he has said he wanted no part of that in the pastactually he hasn't said that and has played well over 100 games in his career at the position. We don't know what really happened in either situation because nobody ever went on the record, all we got was speculation from numerous sources but never a direct quote from an individual.

I think Jr moving to new position will be made moot very quickly because the odds of staying healthy are stacked against him.

TOBTTReds
05-11-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm taking a wild guess that Hatte is batting 2nd. High OBP, Narron wants him to father his children, winning hit yesterday...it all makes sense.

flyer85
05-11-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm taking a wild guess that Hatte is batting 2nd. High OBP, other than the fact that his relatively high OBP is somewhat negated by his utter lack of speed.

TOBTTReds
05-11-2006, 05:07 PM
other than the fact that his relatively high OBP is somewhat negated by his utter lack of speed.

Speed is overrated in the 2 hole, especially with Griffey behind him...and Dunn.

What about the fathering children part?;)

flyer85
05-11-2006, 05:10 PM
What about the fathering children part?;):starwars:

BRM
05-11-2006, 05:15 PM
I also hope to see all of the same people complaining about him know still complaining throughout the rest of season if he stays healthy and puts up numbers similar to last year.

No one is complaining about his offensive production. The guy produces when he's healthy. Folks are complaining about his extreme lack of range in CF.

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 05:26 PM
What about the fathering children part?;)
Nobody is arguing with that one :help:

edabbs44
05-11-2006, 05:48 PM
I don't even know if it's Griffey's ability to play CF that bothers me, but at times it seems like he is going about 50% out there. If he is that scared (and rightfully so) to injure himself there is no other option.

OnBaseMachine
05-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Lopez
Encarnacion
Griffey
Dunn
Kearns
Hatteberg
Phillips
Ross
Arroyo

I was right! Check the game thread.

Raisor
05-11-2006, 06:08 PM
I was right! Check the game thread.

I would like to point out that I've called for EddieE to hit second since the minute he was called up last year.

I rock.

OnBaseMachine
05-11-2006, 06:10 PM
I would like to point out that I've called for EddieE to hit second since the minute he was called up last year.

I rock.

Mad props. He should get better pitches to hit, plus his high OBP will give Griffey and Dunn more chances to drive in runs.

reds44
05-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Yes!!!

Much needed!

Red Taylor
05-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Welcome back Junior.

GridironGrace
05-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Bout time...

he comes back right when we start to weaken a tad.. getting him back will help spark the offense :)

GAC
05-11-2006, 08:06 PM

I rock.

So we can add you to the list of Narron fans huh? ;)

I'm glad Jr's back.

His bat in the lineup will give this offense a big boost. Especially right now, with our offense kinda slumping.

As far as CF?..... play him there till he breaks. Then you've solved the problem about who plays CF the rest of the year. ;)

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 08:29 PM
getting him back will help spark the offense :)
O didn't need a spart last night :D

Joseph
05-11-2006, 09:58 PM
O didn't need a spart last night :D

And hasn't gotten it tonight.

RedFanAlways1966
05-11-2006, 10:47 PM
WELCOME BACK, JUNIOR! WELCOME BACK...

:D :D :beerme:

Shaggy Sanchez
05-11-2006, 10:54 PM
actually he hasn't said that and has played well over 100 games in his career at the position. We don't know what really happened in either situation because nobody ever went on the record, all we got was speculation from numerous sources but never a direct quote from an individual.

Actually didn't he state last season or the season before that he didn't like playing 1B and would rather stay in the OF.

griffeyfreak4
05-11-2006, 10:56 PM
As EdSkin would say.....I have a CHMC on Griff!
(Certified Heterosexual Man Crush)

Matt700wlw
05-11-2006, 11:06 PM
:notworthy :notworthy :griffey: :notworthy :notworthy

gm
05-11-2006, 11:08 PM
...and THAT's why you don't trade Junior

EKURed
05-11-2006, 11:13 PM
who'll be lucky to play 1/2 time.

Are you happy he played tonight?

Falls City Beer
05-11-2006, 11:19 PM
I definitely think this team needs Junior's contact--the Casey role if you will (but with much more power).

TeamBoone
05-11-2006, 11:19 PM
05/11/2006 3:45 PM ET

Griffey activated, batting third
Center fielder off disabled list following knee strain
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Wet weather and chilly temperatures at Great American Ball Park on Thursday didn't make for an ideal night for a baseball game.
With his right knee feeling ready to return after missing one month, the conditions didn't matter so much to Reds center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., who was activated from the 15-day disabled list to face the Nationals.

"I'm going to have to play sooner or later," said Griffey, who was put back in his customary third spot in the lineup. "There's no time like now."

Griffey hadn't played since April 12 when he left in the middle of a game at Chicago with a hyperextended knee. He was later diagnosed with a strained tendon in the back of the knee and placed on the DL a few days later.

The decision for his return wasn't entirely Griffey's. General manager Wayne Krivsky, manager Jerry Narron and medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek all had input. Despite the potential hazards from a wet field after a full day of rain, the green light was still given.

"Everybody was concerned about that, but talking with doctors, Wayne and Griff, he wanted to play," said bench coach Bucky Dent, who filled in Thursday while Narron attended his daughter's college graduation in North Carolina. "Everybody said it was OK, so he's going to go."

Narron made out the Reds lineup on Wednesday night before leaving town. The manager was due to return during the game. Once the decision to activate Griffey was finalized, outfielder Chris Denorfia was optioned to Triple-A Louisville to make room on the roster.

"There were a couple of scenarios in case he didn't go that we talked about," Dent said. "Last night, we talked about the one if he was in there. That's the one I posted."

Griffey, who batted .258 with two homers and seven RBIs in eight games before his injury, has been eligible for activation since April 28. His status was originally believed to be day-to-day, but his recovery endured several delays.

On Monday and Tuesday, the 36-year-old underwent the most rigorous running drills of his rehabilitation and showed he could run the bases and turn corners at full speed.

Griffey conceded his knee wouldn't have to be 100 percent to play.

"I'm going to play with some pain," Griffey said. "It's whether or not you can stand it."

Ranked 12th on the all-time list with 538 career home runs, various injuries have marred several of Griffey's seasons in Cincinnati. In 2002, he tore the patellar tendon in the same right knee and played just 70 games. An ankle injury limited him to 53 games in 2003 and a torn right hamstring kept him at 83 games in 2004 and put his career in jeopardy.

Rehabilitating from radical surgery that re-attached his hamstring to the bone, Griffey returned with a strong 2005. Playing 128 games, he batted .301 with 35 home runs and 92 RBIs and earned National League Comeback Player of the Year honors.

Healthy all winter, Griffey appeared poised to build on last season when he batted .524 with three home runs during the inaugural World Baseball Classic.

The Reds posted a 17-9 record during Griffey's absence and entered the night in first place in the National League Central. Griffey liked how his teammates responded while he was out.

"They don't give up," Griffey said. "Every day, they're pretty much the same. They don't get too high or too low. Everything is, 'Hey, we'll take what they give us.' When things happen not in our favor, they don't get too down. It's fun to watch."

Despite the Reds' recent success, the slugger's presence was still missed in the order.

"We need him in there," right fielder Austin Kearns said. "He brings things to the table no one else does. It'll help."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060511&content_id=1448880&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

WVRedsFan
05-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah. No defense and can't hit after a layoff.

Yeah. Trade him and get a pitcher for him.

Yeah. Put him in left field or first base. He damages the team when he plays and Freel doesn't. Yeah.

Puffy
05-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah. No defense and can't hit after a layoff.

Yeah. Trade him and get a pitcher for him.

Yeah. Put him in left field or first base. He damages the team when he plays and Freel doesn't. Yeah.

Word.

I am so sick of the bashing of Junior - its tiring and its off base. But I've been saying that for awhile and yet it continues.

Oh well - but i'm with you WVRedsFan :thumbup:

KoryMac5
05-12-2006, 01:42 AM
It's always easy to kick someone when they are down, just hope I get to see him in person before he is traded or retires

WVRedsFan
05-12-2006, 02:15 AM
Word.

I am so sick of the bashing of Junior - its tiring and its off base. But I've been saying that for awhile and yet it continues.

Oh well - but i'm with you WVRedsFan :thumbup:

And not one mention of his catch tonight. Yeah, put Freel in center until he runs full bore into Kearns, putting him on the shelf. Let him look at three pitches down the middle while the bat doesn't leave his shoulder. Let him make boneheaded running decisions. It's all OK because he has speed and gets on base (as much as a player can while hitting .230 and going 0-16 in the last series--or something like that). Diss and ignore the only superstar we've had here in so many years. Congratulations to all of you when he leaves because that's when moments like tonight go away. Rey-Rey and EdE had fine at-bats, but they meant nothing until Jr. did his thing. The thing he's always done since the beginning. Sorry, but I'm fed up with this whole story of his defense. Name one game where he cost us a game with his defense. Oh, I'm sure you can because everyone has a game like that.

Many wish for a team that has eight Freels. Scrappy! Let's go with Dunn at first (errors? do we have errors?), Freel at second every day, Rey at short, lately EdE at third, Denorfia, Kearns and another scrappy player in the outfield and whoever is left at catcher. Put that scrappy, blue collar team on the field and you have the equilivant of the Pittsburgh Pirates without any pitching.

No thanks.

RedLegSuperStar
05-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Welcome Back Junior.. Missed having that potent bat in the line-up.

Falls City Beer
05-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Jr. can't be traded, folks. Just give up the discussion.

But it's probably a blessing in disguise for the team that he can't. They're going to need his offense. Just pray he stays healthy. That's all you can do.

edabbs44
05-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Jr. can't be traded, folks. Just give up the discussion.

But it's probably a blessing in disguise for the team that he can't. They're going to need his offense. Just pray he stays healthy. That's all you can do.

I think it is a little premature to say that Jr can't be traded. If someone were to offer us a #2 SP and some legitimate BP help or upper level prospects, would we shoot it down w/o even giving it any thought? Not to mention the $ relief we would gain in the process.

Obviously last night was phenomenal, reminiscent of when Lark came off the DL and hit his walk-off dinger. But we all have to say there is a decent chance of Griffey getting hurt again, based on his history. And if he were to sustain a serious season ending injury, would we all play Monday morning QB and talk about how we should have traded him when we had a chance?

If the Yankees get bad news on Matsui today, I wouldn't be surprised if they came caliing immediately. And if the Reds were to immediately hang up w/o trying to rake them over the coals, it would be a very bad move.

Falls City Beer
05-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Look, I understand the vitriol at those who consistently dog Junior. I do.

But what the hell is up with this hatred (and it is hatred) for Freel? He's been, over the last three seasons, one of the most important hitters in this upsurge of offensive greatness; everytime he's been in the lineup he's produced, and he's done it very cheaply. He's probably a top ten bargain in all of baseball. His playing style helps the team; doesn't hurt it. He got caught up in being overzealous tonight, but you know what, I'd bet my arm it was because he's been feeling bad about slumping of late. I'd much, much rather see a guy be a bit stupid and overzealous than see him turn into Juan Encarnacion or Willie Greene.

Go ahead and celebrate Junior--I am, he was like deus ex machina out there tonight--but what on earth are you tearing down Freel for? That's idiotic, frankly.

Falls City Beer
05-12-2006, 08:27 AM
I think it is a little premature to say that Jr can't be traded. If someone were to offer us a #2 SP and some legitimate BP help or upper level prospects, would we shoot it down w/o even giving it any thought? Not to mention the $ relief we would gain in the process.

Obviously last night was phenomenal, reminiscent of when Lark came off the DL and hit his walk-off dinger. But we all have to say there is a decent chance of Griffey getting hurt again, based on his history. And if he were to sustain a serious season ending injury, would we all play Monday morning QB and talk about how we should have traded him when we had a chance?

If the Yankees get bad news on Matsui today, I wouldn't be surprised if they came caliing immediately. And if the Reds were to immediately hang up w/o trying to rake them over the coals, it would be a very bad move.

No one's giving anyone a #2 pitcher for Junior. He's untradeable.

edabbs44
05-12-2006, 08:28 AM
No one's giving anyone a #2 pitcher for Junior. He's untradeable.

Untradeable why? 10-5 status, salary, injuries or all of the above?

smith288
05-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Untradeable why? 10-5 status, salary, injuries or all of the above?
Yes... All of the above.

KronoRed
05-12-2006, 03:44 PM
But what the hell is up with this hatred (and it is hatred) for Freel? He's been, over the last three seasons, one of the most important hitters in this upsurge of offensive greatness; everytime he's been in the lineup he's produced, and he's done it very cheaply. He's probably a top ten bargain in all of baseball. His playing style helps the team; doesn't hurt it. He got caught up in being overzealous tonight, but you know what, I'd bet my arm it was because he's been feeling bad about slumping of late. I'd much, much rather see a guy be a bit stupid and overzealous than see him turn into Juan Encarnacion or Willie Greene.

He's slumping, everyone hates the slumper.